Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

I've long been trying to figure out what sort of dipping sauce to pair five-spice wings with. Just so happens that we're making a batch tonight, and I'm trying to figure out, last minute of course, what to dip them in. We've had them plain and they're good, and bleu cheese is always welcome, but I'd like a matching sauce of some sort.

Google naturally has a billion options, so I'm drowning trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Relevant ingredients we have on hand are soy sauce (some cheap Kikkoman, as well as some low sodium tamari, and I think maybe also some regular sodium tamari), mirin, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, honey, dark brown sugar, and a pretty well stocked spice cabinet. Need to hit up the store after work anyhow, so I can grab scallions or something if necessary. Doing oven-baked wings, so I've got plenty of time to let a sauce cook down.

I considered a teriyaki, but I'm leaning towards less sweet.

Any thoughts?

maybe this?

https://meatwave.com/recipes/grilled-crispy-pineapple-and-ginger-tiki-chicken-wings

i made these a couple weeks ago and they were really really good (this guy has a lot of good wing recipes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

DaveSauce posted:

I've long been trying to figure out what sort of dipping sauce to pair five-spice wings with. Just so happens that we're making a batch tonight, and I'm trying to figure out, last minute of course, what to dip them in. We've had them plain and they're good, and bleu cheese is always welcome, but I'd like a matching sauce of some sort.

Google naturally has a billion options, so I'm drowning trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Relevant ingredients we have on hand are soy sauce (some cheap Kikkoman, as well as some low sodium tamari, and I think maybe also some regular sodium tamari), mirin, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, honey, dark brown sugar, and a pretty well stocked spice cabinet. Need to hit up the store after work anyhow, so I can grab scallions or something if necessary. Doing oven-baked wings, so I've got plenty of time to let a sauce cook down.

I considered a teriyaki, but I'm leaning towards less sweet.

Any thoughts?

What’s in the five spice you’re using? Orange goes great with most typical five spice mixes, and rind often makes it into the spice mix itself. I’d probably do an orange heavy sweet and sour, but purposefully get a lot of the white orange rind in for the bitterness to offset the sweet.

Ginger scallion oil drizzled heavily over the top is also a great suggestion if you really want to lean away from the sweet.

Edit: If you don’t mind going full-on fatty fatty fat fat, take that ginger scallion oil and turn it into a mayo with some garlic. Dip and listen for the sounds of your arteries clogging up.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 22, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Speaking of wing sauces, do sauces thickened with xanthan gum generally stay pourable straight from the fridge as opposed to using roux or cornstarch?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Welp, got to show-time and completely ran out of time to go over these suggestions, so I ended up grabbing something off google. Worked out, must have used different search terms because this time I found something really close to what I wanted.

So first:

That looks drat delicious, almost like an Asian chimichurri. I would think it would be better on something with less flavor than what I've got, but I'm definitely keeping that for later. Maybe put it on a grilled steak or something...

Doom Rooster posted:

What’s in the five spice you’re using? Orange goes great with most typical five spice mixes, and rind often makes it into the spice mix itself. I’d probably do an orange heavy sweet and sour, but purposefully get a lot of the white orange rind in for the bitterness to offset the sweet.

Ginger scallion oil drizzled heavily over the top is also a great suggestion if you really want to lean away from the sweet.

Edit: If you don’t mind going full-on fatty fatty fat fat, take that ginger scallion oil and turn it into a mayo with some garlic. Dip and listen for the sounds of your arteries clogging up.

We have the Penzy's five spice, so cinnamon, star anise, anise seed, ginger and cloves. I intend on making my own five spice one day, but this is what we have and we like it well enough. That said, I also ground up about 2tsp of sichuan peppercorns and dusted it on... used maybe 3/4 of that for about 2.5 lbs of wings. No idea how much of the five spice I used, just dusted it on until it looked like enough. Worked out perfect, though.

I do like the ginger-scallion-garlic-mayo dip idea, though. I feel like that would go really well with something else, but I can't put my finger on it. Roasted sweet potatoes maybe? I've used garlic aioli on those successfully in the past.

As far as what I ultimately used, I found this:

https://www.food.com/recipe/soy-ginger-dipping-sauce-for-dumplings-or-pot-stickers-62708

Worked out pretty well. In concept it was exactly what I was looking for. I think I might dial the sugar back a hair and maybe add some minced or microplaned garlic next time. Also going to see if I can cook it down some more... simmered it for a bit and it was still on the thin side for my taste. Would probably be perfect consistency for potstickers as the recipe says, but I guess I'd like it to stick to the wings a bit better.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ginger scallion oil really is ridiculously good, especially with sesame oil. Get the oil nice and hot, then throw in the ginger and scallions. They kinda insta fry, so there's no need to keep it on the stove after that. Just gotta watch the heat so it doesn't start smoking or the flavour goes off. I use it on egg rolls and battered shrimp, but it would probably go great on red meat.

The dipping sauce you used is pretty similiar to something I make as well - try using dark soy sauce, it's a little thicker. It's a good base for all sorts of things. Grind up some fish flakes and shiitake mushrooms to put in before cooking and you can add it to ramen broth for some extra kick.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 23, 2020

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Would you use all sesame oil, or some portion? The link above recommends a neutral oil, I presume to let the other ingredients shine.

Also toasted or non? I only keep toasted sesame oil around mainly because of the toasted flavor. Not sure I've ever had it untoasted, actually, usually only use vegetable or olive oil for most things. But I ask because half a cup is a ton of toasted sesame oil and I would think that it would overpower everything else.

Going back to the sugar, I might sub honey, should help it be a little thicker. The recipe also calls for water (in the steps, not in the ingredient list), I presume to prevent it from getting too thick while it cooks. Since that's the opposite of what I want, I might omit that and just heat it all on its own. But in any case, I'll look for dark soy sauce.

and lol I just realized that I didn't read the instructions. I threw everything in the pot and let it cook down for a while, turns out you're only supposed to cook the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water. Whoops. Turned out fine, and I guess I can't see the disadvantage. Especially as a dipping sauce, just throwing the remainder in fresh (ginger, scallions, pepper flakes) seems like you're not going to do much for flavor. Maybe if you poured it over something, but dipping? The chunks are just going to hang behind, I wouldn't expect them to lend any flavor except maybe if you put it all in the fridge overnight or something.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If the amount of sesame oil is measured in cups and not tbsp, it's definitely untoasted. Otherwise not only would it overpower the dish but your house would smell like sesame for days.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Didn't know toasted sesame oil was a thing, so had to go check my bottle. I've been using non-toasted.

Regarding the soy dipping sauce, it's a good idea to put the chili in after cooking if you have some guests that aren't used to really spicy dishes. You can even make it look kinda fancy by using finely chopped fresh red and green chilies.

xtal posted:

If the amount of sesame oil is measured in cups and not tbsp, it's definitely untoasted. Otherwise not only would it overpower the dish but your house would smell like sesame for days.

I kinda want to try this now. Just throw even more scallions and ginger in. My apartment will smell so delicious.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 23, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What is the cadillac of condiment squeeze bottles? Like if the king of earth were to take up making hot sauces, what squeeze bottles would be use?

It's one of those product categories that is chock full of SEO'd chinese drop-shipped crap so I haven't been able to find an outstanding one and I'm getting tired of being disappointed.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Manager Hoyden posted:

What is the cadillac of condiment squeeze bottles? Like if the king of earth were to take up making hot sauces, what squeeze bottles would be use?

It's one of those product categories that is chock full of SEO'd chinese drop-shipped crap so I haven't been able to find an outstanding one and I'm getting tired of being disappointed.

Japanese ones, specifically the soft plastic ones that Kewpie mayonnaise comes in. You can hold the bottom end and shake the mayonnaise down towards the spout end but they are sturdy enough to hold their shape and stand upright. Otafuku Okonomiyaki sauce is in the same type of bottle too.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Helith posted:

Japanese ones, specifically the soft plastic ones that Kewpie mayonnaise comes in. You can hold the bottom end and shake the mayonnaise down towards the spout end but they are sturdy enough to hold their shape and stand upright. Otafuku Okonomiyaki sauce is in the same type of bottle too.

Those look neat, but I can't find a place to order them and I think the tip would be too narrow for this application.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We have these ones at work that are great but I don't know who makes them they have no identifying markers on them.
The top and bottom both screw off so cleaning them out is easy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sounds like something that could be found at one of those food industry markets. Most large cities will have one where all the local cafes and restaurants source anything they can't get delivered or need on short notice. They are pretty awesome places to get cheap tupperware.

Also the reason why every loving cafe in my city uses the same 3 types of frozen buns.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

https://www.amazon.com/FMP-FIFO-Squeeze-Bottle-280-1817/dp/B005TJ1BBY

Here's a fifo bottle. If you want the cheaper ones with a tip you can chop down, Tablecraft is a very decent brand.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I made okonomiyaki today. It's shredded cabbage in batter. I made enough batter for four servings but only had room in my stomach for one. Is it bad to leave vegetables in batter? Should I have kept the cabbage and batter separate and only mixed them when I cooked?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd say yeah not great, I mean batter will turn into a sourdough starter, which can get bad in its first few days. Why not cook them all and reheat for leftovers?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would definitely cook them, then bake to reheat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doesn't shredded cabbage on its own infamously already have to be actively prevented from turning into sauerkraut, too?

Kinda starting to sound like double fermented okonomiyaki might be worth a shot, actually.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://meatwave.com/recipes/greek-pork-gyro-pita-sandwiches-recipe

I made this a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it but I want to try it with beef instead of pork, should I change the seasoning at all?

1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3lbs pork shoulder, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BraveUlysses posted:

https://meatwave.com/recipes/greek-pork-gyro-pita-sandwiches-recipe

I made this a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it but I want to try it with beef instead of pork, should I change the seasoning at all?

1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3lbs pork shoulder, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Double the oregano.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Doesn't shredded cabbage on its own infamously already have to be actively prevented from turning into sauerkraut, too?

Shredded cabbage will definitely ferment (read: spoil) if left to its own devices, but that wouldn't result in anything you'd want to eat.

If said cabbage was combined with an appropriate amount of salt, you'd get sauerkraut after a nice long wait. But you can't just lay out shredded cabbage and expect sauerkraut as a result, no.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m going to grill some Korean barbecue on Sunday. Do you think it’s all right if I buy it tonight and let it sit in the fridge for two days? Or should I buy it on Saturday

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What are you making? It probably just depends on the freshness of the meat, but if you're marinating bulgogi or something with acid, that might be pushing it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kalbi

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I mean even fresh raw meat should be fine in the fridge for two days.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The meat will be fine as long as it's fresh, the googling I just did says that 24-48 hours is the longest you should marinate with soy sauce.

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 26, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I was just curious if two days of marinade would make it mushy

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I was just curious if two days of marinade would make it mushy

It almost certainly will. Here's a bit of science:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/09/the-science-of-yogurt-marinades.html

That link is about yogurt marinades and why they can go so long (12hrs is pretty standard) when other marinades would destroy the meat by then. They do talk a bit about other marinade types as well though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kalbi is like, overnight marinate at most imo

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I posted this in the discord but I know there's a lot more people here, so I'm cross posting.

Anyone got a recipe for a Chardonnay & citrus dressing/sauce? My mom had a bottle in her pantry (I think it had been like a gift basket thing) and Ive been using it on fish and chicken for her and she really likes it. I tried to buy her more and of course, the company discontinued it a few years back (it's Robert Rothschild Organics, they make a bunch of sauces and dips.)

The ingredients listed are: water, sugar, fennel, OJ, onions, oil, honey, chardonnay, shallots, dijon, corn starch, lemon juice, orange flavor, sea salt, fennel seeds, orange peel, xanthum, thyme, citric acid

I can sort of throw something together based on the ingredient list, but I figured I'd see if anyone had a go-to recipe to either modify or try out. Trying to get mom to eat healthier at home instead of getting takeout. My real question is if we think it's a reduced chardonnay wine itself or chardonnay vinegar base is best... it tastes more like a reduction or a verjus than a vinegar but I bet both would be tasty

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sorry no, but you just reminded me of white wine jelly, which at least in my one-jar experience is exceptional. Anyone have a recipe for that?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Could I make long lived garlic oil that is botulism free by going low and slow on minced garlic, straining it out, and then heating the remaining oil above 121 C for several minutes?

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Happiness Commando posted:

Could I make long lived garlic oil that is botulism free by going low and slow on minced garlic, straining it out, and then heating the remaining oil above 121 C for several minutes?

You can make safe garlic oil by acidifying the garlic, as in this research for University of Idaho: https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/publishing/pdf/PNW/PNW664.pdf

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Has anybody made their own (patty) breakfast sausage and had much success or have a recipe they like? I’m looking to just make something like the logs of hot Jimmy Dean sausage you’d get at the supermarket in the US since I haven’t been able to find anything like that since moving to NL.

Ive tried twice now, the first time with some ground “half en half” pork/beef mixture from the supermarket, and a basic recipe I found for country sausage (I believe it was just sage/salt/pepper/red pepper flakes) and it didn’t turn out very good.

This weekend we visited a local butcher and got freshly ground pork and tried again with this recipe from BA, but it also didn’t taste at all how I was hoping. It was way too sweet, and felt like it was really missing something but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it...
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ba-breakfast-sausage

I’m thinking next I’ll just try a Hot Jimmy Dean copycat recipe and see how that turns out, but figured I’d check here first and see if anyone has any suggestions?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jato posted:

Has anybody made their own (patty) breakfast sausage and had much success or have a recipe they like? I’m looking to just make something like the logs of hot Jimmy Dean sausage you’d get at the supermarket in the US since I haven’t been able to find anything like that since moving to NL.

Ive tried twice now, the first time with some ground “half en half” pork/beef mixture from the supermarket, and a basic recipe I found for country sausage (I believe it was just sage/salt/pepper/red pepper flakes) and it didn’t turn out very good.

This weekend we visited a local butcher and got freshly ground pork and tried again with this recipe from BA, but it also didn’t taste at all how I was hoping. It was way too sweet, and felt like it was really missing something but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it...
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ba-breakfast-sausage

I’m thinking next I’ll just try a Hot Jimmy Dean copycat recipe and see how that turns out, but figured I’d check here first and see if anyone has any suggestions?
MSG. Without knowing anything else about the problem, I'm going to guess that the sausage you're trying to reproduce contains MSG and your efforts to reproduce it haven't.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

SubG posted:

MSG. Without knowing anything else about the problem, I'm going to guess that the sausage you're trying to reproduce contains MSG and your efforts to reproduce it haven't.

Ah cool, I was thinking that could be it based on the Jimmy Dean copycat recipe I was looking at. Will see if I can get my hands on some this week and give it another shot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
really missing something is acid half the time

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jato posted:

Ah cool, I was thinking that could be it based on the Jimmy Dean copycat recipe I was looking at. Will see if I can get my hands on some this week and give it another shot.
Yeah, unless it's selling itself as "all-natural" or something like that, most of the big brand sausage links/patties (and the ones you'd get in e.g. a fast food breakfast) contain MSG. If the thing you think it's missing is along the lines of "something is just not quite right" that's probably it.

If it's a missing flavour, then you might try a recipe with sage+thyme+coriander. The BA recipe is basically a sage+thyme+fennel thing, and that's a super common sausage flavour profile, but the generic heat-and-eat/fast food/microwaveable/whatever American breakfast sausage is almost always sage+thyme+coriander unless it's maple sausage, hot sausage, or something like that that'll introduce additional flavours.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Also, you may find that going with 100% pork instead of the pork/beef mixture may give you the flavor you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks all. Will give it a go with MSG.

And yeah, only the first attempt was half pork/half beef because they don’t sell 100% ground pork in stores here. I got some at the butcher for the second attempt and will do that again next time.