Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I thought she was the one that goons doxxed/stalked/emailed boss because she was writing erotic ebooks for cash in grad school

v I don't think it was a threat, iirc I think they did actually email her boss trying to get her fired, and she couldn't continue with that going on

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I use a cheapass one to make everything but white rice: brown rice, quinoa, lentils, pilafs, etc. Still works fine. If I leave it for awhile after it's done, I get a little tahdig on the bottom, but that's the best part

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tahdig: great thing or greatest thing?

Discuss.
Great thing BUT I actually prefer it broken up rather than in one big piece

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

I have a Marcato Atlas 150 hand crank guy and it's nice. Sometimes I wish I had a third hand to sprout cuz cranking and feeding the pasta can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. I'll prob get the KA attachment sooner or later now that I have a larger kitchen.
You can just get the Marcato Atlas motor. Set up a camelcamelcamel alert and just jump on it when there's a deal

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would definitely read a guide or FAQ so you know what you're getting into. You take care of it like a regular pot (plenty of soap and hot water), you don't want a tiny one, and you don't want to take it camping. For your needs a Le Creuset might not be what you want.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I make brown rice that lasts all week. When it finishes cooking, i portion it into individual ziplocs or tupperware. If it's ziplocs, I roll it out flat and quickly get out the air. It doesn't reinflate. Either way, on the day of, I put it in a bowl and it microwaves back to the original texture.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It sounds like a lot of things went wrong there. I would try with a classic pot roast from a good source. https://www.food.com/recipe/atk-classic-pot-roast-509694

Be sure to defat thoroughly if you want to serve it that night. Personally, I fridge the solids and the liquids separately overnight. The next day, it's super easy to remove the disc of fat and then blend with the vegetables.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mustard is a good emulsifier.

The laziest option would just be buying a different brand of tahini that has emulsifiers. Another lazy option would be using citric acid rather than lemon juice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Make braised celery instead of celery soup

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Wait I thought cooked bones were bad for dogs (because they like spintered or something like that).
If they are mush they can't splinter.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Their butter is a nice big loss leader. Snap it up

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

How does it compare to Kerrygold? poo poo is almost up to $5.
It's not European-style, it's just regular butter. Actually I think they might also have a euro kind, but it's not the cheap good one I'm talking about.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I've started buying other butters when they're on sale for random poo poo, but I still stick to Kerrygold for baking and it is starting to hurt. I bought a bunch last time I saw it under $3 and wrapped it in plastic in the freezer, but that is long gone.

I also haven't been to Trader Joe's in years since the 14th st one is a shitshow 24/7 and I never bothered checking where the nearest to me is since I left the village.
Ymmv but I'm with Stella Parks when she says euro-style butter for baking isn't necessarily an upgrade. I'm happy with American-style butter, certainly for things like cakes and cookies, but also including choux pastry and shortbread.

TJ's is iirc $3 or $3.50 for a pound. Kerrygold isn't just more expensive, it's also half the amount. I do occasionally buy euro-style, but the most sensible use imo is spreading on fresh bread and putting into my face.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think the question is more what fish you can't fry. Salmon might be weird

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I assume peeled potatoes guy means like tournage or fondant, because otherwise no.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If we want crispy we usually do smashed potatoes, featuring plenty of butter. Those little wedges of roast potato are a thing, but usually unpeeled red potatoes. Kenji's ultimate uses peeled russets, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Kenji posted a smashburger video. I hadn't seen a video of his before, but this definitely proves his taste for oversalting, holy poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Dry stuff in boxes is mostly pretty fine as long as it isn't infested or rancid. Brown rice or whole wheat flour may go rancid. I think most other grains are good for longer. Something like Jello I don't think has changed at all. Bisquick or anything like that might need some extra leavener, but not bad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Freezer for longevity.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Better than Bouillon reduced sodium :getin:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Freezer

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, it's not that they don't work like they have different chemical properties, it's just they're bigger so baking recipes may be thrown off.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Snickerdoodles aren't just sugar cookies with cinnamon! Cream of tartar for the leavener is important for the taste.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Gonna gently caress up your bark. I would do them in the oven at a low temp for a long time, then if they need it, finish in the broiler.

You can also call the restaurant to see what they suggest. It's nice you're supporting them, but they should still be delivering edible food. The least they can do now is tell you how they hold and heat it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would do it 225ish and just accept it's going to take a long time. I wouldn't do foil unless you don't care about the texture of the outside.

Another option is to broil it on high for probably like 7 minutes each side. It should be fully cooked, as in safe to eat, but it won't have rib texture on the inside, it'll be more like eating off the bone of a pork chop (which I love anyway).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Why would you throw them out? You can still eat them with lemon juice and salt if that's what you want to do. Or with Old Bay. Or with cocktail sauce. Or on top of a salad or whatever you want.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Nobody's saying they're identical, but during a global pandemic and impending food shortages, it seems unwise to throw out $13/lb seafood because the texture is imperfect

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
ATK's The Perfect Cookie is exactly what you want https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/the-perfect-cookie-2.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you like molasses cookies, theirs is absolutely the platonic ideal :discourse: I really haven't had a miss from that book.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One nice thing about ATK is you can pretty much always find the recipe you want on a blog or, in a pinch, via Google books. Here's the molasses cookie recipe, for example.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Prep/refrigerate/cook isn't recommended. The concern is that if the ceramic insert starts from fridge temp, the food will take too long in the danger zone. I've done it and lived, but you can avoid that risk by fridging it in a ziploc or a different bowl, then just dumping that into the insert in the morning.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think he's asking if it'll kill him, he's asking what he can do with plain ground beef he's already cooked.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think searching for paleo stuff (nomnompaleo is good) will get you pretty far in terms of what you can do with meat, just swap out vegetables/fruit for ones she can do. Searching for gluten-free might also help with stuff like swapping out enriched flour for almond flour. Quinoa, barley, wheat berries are good functional subs for beans, rice, or pasta.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 1, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I used to have cheap plain metal mixing bowls, but in the last 30 years it turns out there have been some innovations. I upgraded a few years ago, and I really appreciate silicone bottoms and snap-on lids. Volume markings etched inside can also be handy.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 4, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You could just buy frozen vegetables

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I like quinoa -- it tastes really green to me. Having it plain with butter is a thing you can do, although like white rice, it might not be too interesting. I like it mixed with sautéed spinach. Or I often roast a chicken, make quinoa with some drippings, and do a lunch bowl with the chicken and quinoa and whatever vegetables.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm in NYC. More expensive beef cuts haven't risen at all (like a T-bone or ribeye are still both $16-17/lb), but less expensive cuts have risen (like a nasty gristly chuck is now $8/lb).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I have been pretty much exclusively shopping what is on clearance in NYC for the last 6 weeks. Hell, even ground beef is like $7-8/# right now.
Another part of the issue for me is that sales aren't such a thing anymore. I always used to shop from the grocery circular based on what was on sale. For awhile that didn't exist at all, and now it's coming back slowly, but not like before. If you didn't shop sales to begin with, then you probably didn't notice, but if you based your shopping on it, ouch.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I wanted something steaky for the Fourth weekend, but everything was so expensive that I ended up with a package of well-marbled chuck stew meat. I still want it to feel like summer, so I was thinking kebabs? But I know chuck needs longer to cook. What if I did a reverse sear, low and slow in the oven, then a blast in the broiler? If I did it to temp, do you think it'd get dry because it's too small? I can braise it if that's best, I'm just thinking this might work . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

When you are done be sure to cut nice and thin. Large bites may still be tough. Ive done SV chuck which has been fantastic and I imagine that's a softer texture then reversed.
You're 100% correct fwiw. I was thinking the reverse sear would give it enough time to tenderize a little, but I was wrong, it came up to temp much faster than I expected. It ended up edible, but I did have to do thin slices against the grain, which is a hassle on stew meat. The other half gets thrown in a braise and gently caress the seasonality.