Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there are add-ons which take you straight to the recipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my zoji made such good rice the first few times I described it as butter. Now it's the norm :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I doubt that'll be any easier then a press or just getting used to the one handing rolling and turning like you do for dumpling dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have sous vide? Sirloin is one of the better cuts to use it with and you'll expand your shelf life if it isn't appealing today.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cooked bone-meal can be used to make dog treats

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The 2 buck chuck pro method is to buy a bottle, taste in the car, buy it out if that batch isn't poo poo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

As much as I like to preach about sodium citrate, I think it might be redundant since Kenji’s recipe relies on the evaporated milk proteins and starch to do the same job

it's a hell of a lot easier

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gumbo
Various pies i.e. Sheppard or pot
Potato and ___ soup
au gratin potatoes
enchiladas (at least white people baked ones)
lasagna
thai curry with store-bought paste
half-sheet pizzas aka grandma pizzas

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 19, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you're either overtopping or likely have the stone low in the oven. Part of the problem with home ovens is that it's hard to cook the top at the same speed as the bottom. If you have a top broiler you should be using that too.

Although TBH I'm not sure how you're burning thick pizzas. You should be using a pan with those.

/e-
Thin, oven for 2.5-3 mins. I had a weak broiler with this oven.

Thick. I no longer have a top broiler so I do pan pizzas

Both 220c ish

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 26, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nwin posted:

Oh...so don’t mix it back in. Think I killed off the starter much by keeping it?

it doesn't kill, it's general byproduct. Tangy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

higher hydration will have a larger crumb

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a vegetarian gelatin equivalent? When I do quick and dirty greens with bacon instead of a ham hock, I add a packet of unflavored gelatin for that lip-smacking collagen. Using some kind of veg. stock instead of water would help too.

It’s not the same flavor, but if you slice any of the above really thin (esp. mustard and turnip greens-collards are tougher) they are good sautéed with lots of garlic and olive oil like spinach. They don’t actually have to stew for forever to get tender enough to eat.

agar agar

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

Should be fine, I think. It's just flour + baking powder, isn't it?

Edit: There's apparently salt in it too. That makes it less likely to succeed.

you probably don't want to start a starter with something that's basic

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

won't you want the added protein in the coming days?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I have a large quantity of coconut oil I need to use quickly. The oil is, uh, unremarkable, but I want it included in the foodstuff itself, rather than used as just cooking oil. It's old so the taste isn't great, so ideally I'd like to bake it into something I can dump curry flavors into. I also don't have yeast so I'm going to culture it off some raisins I found.

What's the best stuff I could cook that would use up all this oil? I'm not opposed to sweets, I've got a can of that lemon goo that lemon bars use, are lemon bars oil-heavy?

pot brownies

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't eat the skin, guac already has that removed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bagheera posted:

Mayonnaise questions.
My basic recipe: 1 egg, 1 pinch of salt, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp mustard, 1 cup grapeseed oil.
This made a creamy but very bland mayo.

1) Can I swap lemon or lime juice for vinegar one to one?
2) When adding aromatics (basil, curry powder, etc), does it matter if I put them in before mixing or after?
3) What aromatics do you like to mix in?
4) Duke's mayo lasts over a year in the fridge after opening. How long will homemade mayo last?

Pretty much.

I do before using an immersion

Garlic and Chipotle/adobo

Not that long

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone have a recipe for the absolute ultimate croque monsieur?
I’m thinking sourdough and I just want to elevate the rest :)

you just gotta use quality poo poo

/e maybe do a sourdough challah or w/e

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 19, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ranch powder and buttermilk

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Heath posted:

Does anyone have input on this knife? I'm in the market for one and it seems well reviewed for the price. There seems to be an abundance of Chinese knock-off knives claiming to be super authentic Japanese steel on Amazon and nearly every one I click on below 100 dollars has photos of warped edges and broken tips.

who the gently caress knows who makes that, it's probably poo poo though. They make german knives too! You won't get a saya and a well made knife for 60 dollars.

tojiro
mac

are two actual japanese manufactures in that price range.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you can fake sour cream by curdling cream with an acid somehow

otherwise if you have something cultured like buttermilk or certain yogurts you can make your own on the counter in a day or two with cream.

you can sub with yogurt most times as well

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

barkbell posted:

How does one calculate the nutrition of homemade bread? Let's say I make a loaf of bread with 500g of white flour with added yeast, water, and salt. I then eat 1/4 of that bread. I don't just calculate the calories and macros from 125g of white flour, do I? I assume that a certain amount of that energy gets destroyed and offed as gasses.
weirdly enough probably not.

The fermentation process breaks down complex starches and protein chains into sugar and free amino acids which are easier to digest. Losing a bit of carbon to c02 is likely negligible compared to that.

/e- if the above seems contentious after work I'll consult Bread Science to see if that's covered

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 9, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Either way shredded cheese without the starches are grate

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When you are done be sure to cut nice and thin. Large bites may still be tough. Ive done SV chuck which has been fantastic and I imagine that's a softer texture then reversed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

You're 100% correct fwiw. I was thinking the reverse sear would give it enough time to tenderize a little, but I was wrong, it came up to temp much faster than I expected. It ended up edible, but I did have to do thin slices against the grain, which is a hassle on stew meat. The other half gets thrown in a braise and gently caress the seasonality.

Even after a good bath cutting it fresh and well is still a pain in the rear end. I just wanted a hidden cheap cut for lazy sandwiches.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What do you like? Start there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eggplant is in my experience pretty soft. You may be getting underripe ones.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like a hobo and it's become tradition. Lots of old bay and whatever you have yo throw in.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

These sorts of posts are better if we know your aim. "My goals are _____, I'm thinking _____" helps us to know which way to direct our feedback.
It is to make coconut gravy, whatever that may be.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll take the peaches PM me

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smokehouse chef makes a metal KA attachment. Really like it for not much more cost.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Almost anything newly built has a thin magnetic layer on the bottom, even most non sticks, for induction compatability.

That should only be a factor if you're still using old stainless that may not me magnetized or something like a copper set.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scientastic posted:

What? Steel should work fine on an induction hob. The pans themselves don’t need to be magnetic.

I use all our old enamelled cast iron Le Creuset on our induction hob, it works great.
Csst iron will be fine, same with caron steel. I have some pans with, I presume, nickel in them and despite being 18/10 stainless otherwise do not work on induction. Magnets don't stick to them either.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you're chili has beans in it it's beans con chili. Carne con chili (the normal stuff) has categorically no amount of bean.

e: I hate America in case you didn't know.

A chili is a fruit you dumb gently caress

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can compost old stock discard. Probably not great due to the meat and bones depending on where you live.

I feed the carrots and lose meat to my dogs and toss the rest. Don't need them digging through compost.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do not even season my pans tbqh. Factory is fine.. Some people get real anal but I think most failures are just a lack of fat when cooking at first.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smaller is the way to go. You want that browning. You could bake to finish.

Just do a sauce thiugh?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

captkirk posted:

I never really get all the way up to max since the soup is usually still pretty hot (I've been too impatient to let it chill) and I'm worried about hot soup-splosions.

You can just let your vitamix cook the soup on max tbqh

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Is there a gardening thread or good resource on how to get started with a small herb/vegetable garden? I don't have a lot of space or much of a green thumb, so I want to start out with things that are a good balance of easy, hardy, and popular. I'm less interested in seasonal plants and am more looking for year-long reliables. My main questions are:
What are the easiest herbs or spices that if done right I never need to buy again? Any that are deceptively more trouble than they're worth?

Which vegetables are low profile enough to bother with if I don't have much space, and is it reasonable to expect to be able to grow decent veg if I barely know what I'm doing? In my head I'm thinking of things like scallions, carrots, and other roots, or leafy greens.

Which herbs are best for just snipping off a sprig and using fresh versus ones I should dry and grind?

How often should I harvest, and how much should I plant in the first place to avoid accidentally growing way too much basil than one person could ever want or need?

In either DIY or that outdoor RSF

You want parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil at least. I like oregano but it's imo good dried. Sage if you use that. How much you harvest depends on the plant and whether you want it to bolt e.g. cilantro (you'll never stop it) so you can plant more, but basil you'll just trim and trim and prevent it from bolting to get higher yield.

Plan for multiple years to get veg right. Dont have the highest expectations and it'll be heavily climate dependent on what's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Given that peppers, okra, tomatoes are all generally doable with the last heavily strand dependent. Peppers especially will grow to what their container can support and stop.