Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

POZOLE YES I DO!

This is an easy folk recipe for pozole New Mexico style. Get your crock pot out and throw a cheap cut of pork in it. If you are fancy cube the pork and sear it in a pan or if not just go for it and throw that cube O pork into the crock pot. If you are fancy add some sort of stock or if your are poor like me water will work although not as good. Cook the meat until tender. If you are fancy add New Mexico Red chile powder while cooking. Add Onion and I know not traditional some celery but it tastes good.

If you are poor Add the New Mexico red chile powder towards the end and lots of lime juice. I suggest Nellies key lime juice that can be bought at Walmart. Pozole is pork chile lime and some salt. Then at the very end of fancy Pozole or poor mans pozole a big ol can of Hominy, Juice and all. Mmmm I can taste this now. It should be pretty watery but flavorful boil off any liquids you want.

Now how fancy do you want to get? For me poor mans pazole we have a bottle of tapatio valentina or whatever is on hand and the bottle of lime juice for garnish. Fancy Pazole is sliced limes some sliced onions maybe some radish if super fancy a cabbage salsa. Sliced Jalapenos and Avocado is good just don't let them soak in your soup. They should be a garnish.

This reminds me of Christmas. Only use New Mexico red chile powder not that junk from California or China. Yes i am biased.

I can provide more tips if asked. Also Garlic either minced or granulated should be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Cabbage Salsa yes I know it is not Sonoran nor New Mexican. I don't think it is Oaxican either but more of a western coastal Mexico thing. If you know where it comes from tell me. I start with a head of cabbage slice and cleaned or if lazy a bag of pre sliced coleslaw. Add one jar of pickled jalapenos with onions and carrots. Add salt pepper garlic a little salt to taste. Then marinate with lime juice to taste. This is better if it sits for a bit.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

While I am on a New Mexican kick / brain dump lets make Re-fried beans. Pick and clean a one pound bag of beans then rinse twice in cool sink water I use a colander. Place your beans into your instapot with 10 cups of water. Add a little bit of oil to keep the beans from boiling / frothing over. Add your seasonings I just dump in a can of pickled Jalapenos skipping any added salt. Pressure cook on High for 40 Minutes with quick release. After your beans are cooked throw them back into your colander and rinse well to get rid of the bean slime and let sit for a minute.

Grab a big ol frying pan and throw a little bit of oil just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Pour in your beans and let them fry. Then let them fry some more. Before they get kinda shriveled flip them over as best as you can and let them fry some more. Add Garlic and lime juice then start to mash them with a potato masher or large spoon. When half mashed taste to see how much salt is needed. For good beans a lot of salt is needed and to lighten them up you can add milk in this process.

You can make them thick like I love them or thin them out with milk or some sort of vegetable broth.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Rice the Great extender and quick to please. Mexican rice is quite tasty.

Look on your bag of rice to see how much water you need and adjust your cooking to that. I have used long grain and short grain with about the same results. Since this isn't a recipe but a more general guideline here we go.

Add your desired amount of dry rice to a tall pot then add just enough oil to coat the rice. Here is my Secret Fry the dried rice until about 80% is whiter than the rest of the rice. Do not let the rice get browned in the oil at all. Slowly add your water to prevent splattering. Add some Knox or other brand Tomato / chicken Bullion (it should be called tomato chicken bullion if your vegi find some tomato bullion or just add a can of diced tomatoes now) Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and cover until the rice is cooked and should be slightly chewy. Enjoy!

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I wish I could get dried or even frozen hominy at the store. Yes it is better. You are totally spot on with the bacon fat! I always fry my red New Mexico chile pods in bacon fat when making enchilada sauce to remove the bitterness. Maybe that's a Deming thing.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Hauki posted:

I dunno where you’re at, but for what it’s worth I can still find dried pozole in the “Hispanic” section at even crappy groceries in Colorado, and a fair number have the bueno frozen stuff too - Costco sells like an 8 pack of 2# bags heh. I guess I’d probably just mail order a bunch of dried if I couldn’t find it locally.

And yeah, I feel the extra smoke from chipotles/moritas, bacon fat & the ham hock adds some depth, but I use bacon fat for refritos too. Haven’t spent much time in Deming though, I grew up farther north. I’ll have to try that for enchilada sauce, hah.

As far as red chile sauce goes, I usually keep it pretty simple - toast dried chile pods in a dry, wide pot until fragrant, cover with water, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, drain, reserving liquid & let cool. Destem the peppers, discard seeds if you feel so inclined, put in a food processor or blender and purée, adding the reserved liquid to get whatever consistency I need. Season to taste with salt & lime juice.

I try to get a least a couple types of chile for depth of flavor, usually a combination of chimayo red (sweet/earthy), guajillo or other New Mexico red cultivar (bright/tangy) and morita or ancho (smoky/fruity).

If I want to be fussier, I’ll add whole garlic, still in the skin with the peppers as they’re toasting, pull the skins when you destem the peppers. Maybe Mexican oregano and/or ground cumin if I want those flavors. If you have leftover liquid from cooking the chiles, use it to replace some of the water in your pot of posole.

I knew it I knew it! Made my night. It is funny how you can tell where someone is from by their recipe's. I have some Sonaran bleeding in from Arizona.

My bean recipes are all for Pinto's. Up North they use these magical Anasazi beans. The chile's down south are hot to very very hot.

I miss good tortilla's and tortilla chips. The only commercial salsa I will eat is Sadies Salsa.

I want to go back to visit now.

Zia

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Roll up a sheet of printer paper into a cone. Half the sheet if needed. Jiggle and wiggle and you can adjust on the fly.

I made a drill bit type thingy for my peppermill that I attach to my battery operated drill. I stole the idea from Alton Brown and have never regretted it. Fresh pepper is nice.

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 6, 2020

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I still do the heathen thing for rice. Pour rice into a soup pot then place my palm down and fill with tap water until just between my wrist and knuckles. Simmer until sticky rice.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

totalnewbie posted:

This works so long as you never decide to change the amount of rice you make.

I never changed my pot I was poor at the time. Rice is the great dinner extender.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Squashy Nipples posted:

Seriously, I love this thing for $30:

https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ARC-914SBD-Cool-Touch-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/

I vote we put it in the OP of the equipment thread.

Electric Pressure cookers are magical I suggest you learn how to cook with it then start branching out to other ways of cooking. Do you like Beans?

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo dude, are you new here?

Because I'm not. I know all about pressure cookers and Instant Pots, and I cook and eat a lot of beans. I just wanted a dedicated rice cooker, I'm not sure how that earned your condescension.

I am an idiot that loves to talk about cooking beans! I derail when I can slip in a bean recipe. Yes I am new. Sorry for the slight.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Since I riled up the thread anyone want to share a simple go to recipe?

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Instant pot 30 minutes high pressure then natural release.

Quarter 4 to 6 limes throw on top rind and all
Quarter 1 to 1.5 oranges throw on top rind and all

I like my pork with more vinegar I use Braggs cider vinegar .25 cups or you could add less or none

I have experimented with Coriander and a little oregano in the pressure cook

I will throw the slow cooked pork on a hot pan to crisp it up.

I still have not perfected my mojo sauce. A nice airy bread is pretty nice in the sandwich press or in my case my waffle maker.

I like the super salty pickles that are sliced smooth. They call them fast food pickles here and like a heathen i use regular yellow mustard.

I am not a ham or cheese elitist so what ever I have goes on.

If anyone has a good mojo sauce please chime in. I am still stuck on lime juice garlic salt pepper cumin and some turmeric sometimes orange zest

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Suspect Bucket posted:

Would you just look at this empty boring ham and swiss I have just sitting here in desperate need of CUBANIZATION

Post your recipe! Let us know what worked! or not. Looking forward to what every one made. Lets make some tasty food this year.

After thinking about someone living in an apartment you might be able to crisp up the pork in the broiler. Be carefull stove broilers can crisp and smoke fast. I highly suggest not getting the fire department called.

I look forward to everyone's time saver or neat recipes.

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 15, 2020

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

The Kimchi recipe was spot on. I salt mine for 30 minutes then rinse then season with chile paste and garlic. Yum. I have 2 bottles of salt water I use one is 2.5% and the other is just 2.0% salt. I made my brine by weight. I do the Alton Brown thing and fill a zip top bag with brine for a weight to stuff in the jar.

I have just found some pickles made with spirit vinegar. I like them a lot. Has anyone made pickles with spirit vinegar? The Noma guide for fermentation talks about burning off the ethanol then adding water back into it then trying to ferment it? I think I am missing something. I have not seen anything in the store called spirit vinegar. It has a sharper taste and I think a higher acidity. I want to make some quick pickles with that same flavor profile.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Scientastic posted:

Making fajitas for the kids tonight, and I have a load of tinned peaches: is there a tex-mex ish kind of dessert I can make with them?

Yes Peach cobbler, Place cans of peaches into a deep oven safe dish. We used to use store bought yellow cake mix on top of them. Place pats of butter on the top of the dry cake mix. Cover with foil. Season the top with cinnamon and a little nutmeg. Bake everything until the Desert is nice and moist I liked using a Dutch Oven but I am picky that way.

The peach cobbler will come out Terrific and Very Tasty.

I Hate Tex Mex and this is in a good spirit but share your recipe. We are all friends here.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Scientastic posted:

There isn’t really a recipe: I fry wedges of onions and peppers until charred and put them aside. Then I fry chicken thighs and season with lots of cumin and whatever other spices I fancy, chuck back in the veg and serve with homemade salsa and guacamole, sour cream and refined beans

Good recipe, the cumin is Tex Mex

I do the same thing but season with New Mexico red chile powder heavy garlic and a little salt. Lots of lime juice. Don't get me started on beans I love them.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

A ten dollar bag of Candy otherwise those 3 gallon jugs of Mystery alcohol. I miss the border towns of Mexico. Nothing like getting chased down the street with a Lady of the night hanging out the window of her pimps Bronco yelling at you to get the Fff out of the way.
I would get some semi hard cheese. Rot gut Mezcal is actually good in my opinion. I do miss the border.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Steve Yun posted:

Is Reynolds Foodservice foil any different from regular foil

When working in a commercial kitchen 20 years ago it was thicker. I use normal foil in my home kitchen for everyday use and use Heavy duty foil like I would food service foil. Invest in a box of foil covers pre cut 12x12 they slide out like kleenex but are golden. Need to tent some steaks or chicken just grab foil cover and Bam it is tented.

What food safety classes should one take before trying to start up food business? I am toying with the idea of starting a mobile eatery or working weekends at a local diner. I just want to be clean!

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I am about to be gifted 40 pounds of white onions other than digging a root cellar in my back yard to store them. I have never fermented onions and I don't know if they have enough sugar to complete the ferment. I have 4 gallons of white vinegar to go that route. Right now I am thinking of drying them since that seems the most economical.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Has anyone made a dill pickled carrot this summer? I think I used too much pickling spice and full strength 5% white vinegar aka acetic acid. I used enough salt to prevent getting botulism. They are just ok not dynomite. I made another jar with lots of peppers same salt amount. Any one have a recipe. I steam can my jars.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When pickling with appropriate salt and acid, I just use a water batch canning method. Also, a touch of alum or pickling lime will help keep your pickles crisp.

Pickled carrots are worthless anyway unless you pickled them with onions, jalapenos, and oregano.

I see your style about carrots. So after the baby carrots yeah I know they are the leftover carrots' when pickled in full vinegar they taste good as a snack after dinner. I let them sit for 3 weeks then they tasted really good except I added too much salt. I am afraid to taste the habernero small jar since it is full vinegar and a heaping load of chile powder.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

corned beef with kimchi instead of cabbage

I am going to try this I have been making Corned beef from scratch from the amazingribs.com websites recipe. My fermenting game is already spot on. I have a closet that is just for my Ferments. Kimchee is awsome possom to make. Salty Cabbage aka Sauerkraut is even easier. I wonder if a Saurbraten with kimchee would be a different taste.

On another note I just received a chamber vacuum sealer. Any good ideas other than using it to freeze my meats. I bought some boil safe bags so I can reheat some leftovers in the Instapot.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't know where you got 185F, botulism spores can survive boiling water, and that's around 220F. You need a pressure canner to kill them, IIRC around 240-250F. Which isn't to say that a pressure canner will necessarily work for your specific project.

Do not gently caress around when it comes to food preservation. There are specific processes that need to be followed, and if you don't do things properly, you risk getting extremely sick. If you can't find a reputable recipe and preserving process online that you can follow accurately, don't do it.

I just chamber vacuumed some leftover pickling cucumbers with 3.5 percent salt water with some Costco minced garlic and store brand dehydrated dill. I am leaving them out to ferment and they are bubbly but do not have any mold. The brine is starting to get cloudy like my other ferments I have done. Someone mentioned garlic can get you botulism in an airtight environment. Does this raise any flags with any one because of the garlic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I will have to post some pictures of my ferments. Thanks Folks,