Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Olive! posted:

Is it worth it to make lasagna noodles from scratch? Is it still worth it if you don't have a pasta roller?

Yes from scratch, probably no without a roller if you've never made before. Rolling thin pasta sheets by hand is moderately time consuming. Whenever I do from scratch lasagna it is an all day affair and I make 4-6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Is the Kitchen Aid pasta roller accessory worth it?

I'm a big fan of Joshua Weissman's You Tube channel. He's great at explaining complex recipes and just being fun to watch. He posted a video on homemade pasta, which makes me want to try it.

1) Is making homemade pasta as easy as Weismann makes it look?

2) Any preference between a hand-cranked pasta roller and a stand mixer attachment?

I got the stand mixer attachment for free and I still kind of wish I was using my hand crank most of the time. Ideally I'd want to get my hand crank one with a motor? If i have a second set of hands, I use the crank. if I'm prepping alone, I use the kitchenaid. I would say that unless you happen to get them at a good will or other 90% off to free, the stand attachment isn't worth it.

Does anyone know how to make good hawaiian shoyu? Friend was just there for vacation and lived on it in various forms and was blown away by how good it was compared to anything calling itself shoyu here in NYC. Before they start down the path of trying to recreate it thought I'd see if anyone had a good starting point.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting myself a good dutch oven. Le Creuset has their 2 3/4 Qt on sale. https://www.lecreuset.com/shallow-round-dutch-oven#92=616

I want a small-medium size one for home and camping use. I suspect this might fit the bill, but does anyone have this particular size? Or should I just get the traditional large boi https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven

I've also never had enameled cast iron, is it like cleaning regular cast iron?

Get one of these for home: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4WN08/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And one of these for camping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RWYI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (or one of the ones that has little feet to make it easier to put over some coals)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Their butter is a nice big loss leader. Snap it up

How does it compare to Kerrygold? poo poo is almost up to $5.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Make your own butter you cowards

What is the difference between "raw" and "semi raw" here?

I've done cultured butters for the table, but I've never considered making it at scale to use in baking.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not European-style, it's just regular butter. Actually I think they might also have a euro kind, but it's not the cheap good one I'm talking about.

I've started buying other butters when they're on sale for random poo poo, but I still stick to Kerrygold for baking and it is starting to hurt. I bought a bunch last time I saw it under $3 and wrapped it in plastic in the freezer, but that is long gone.

I also haven't been to Trader Joe's in years since the 14th st one is a shitshow 24/7 and I never bothered checking where the nearest to me is since I left the village.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Semi raw is a mix of raw cream and regular ultra pasteurized. I wanted to test if I really needed to shell out for raw cream. Seems there’s very little difference once the bugs get a start (at least that I can tell)

2 quarts of cream at Costco, $11
A yogurt/ with live active cultures, $1.50
Makes 5 cups/10 sticks
Total cost = $12.50, $2.50 per stick

How’s that compare

Was thinking more quality than price. I'm willing to give it a shot though, have a few occasions to make cookies coming up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Might be preference or that the recipes I've worked on have accounted for it, but I love the stuff. I also don't bake very much these days because I mostly have cut sugar from my diet, my main use for butter is "I made bread and decided not have anything else for dinner but it, salt, and butter".

e; Next time I'm in the village I'll check it out and grab a pound or three to test. May also try baking with homemade too. See how it compares.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 7, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That Works posted:

If you're sweating down onions and used to throw a little salt on them to get them to drop out more water then splash in a glug of fish sauce instead and then carmelize. Everything is better after this.

A-loving-men.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Weltlich posted:

Smelts are amazing fried, too.

They are such a pain to clean and prep though. That is a christmas eve delicacy in my house only.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm trying to be better about having everything ready when I start cooking a dish instead of rushing to do everything in the 2 minutes between steps. This massively increases the dish load, though, as I have to use huge bowls and things for a tablespoon of stuff. I only have 2-3 bowls from a large pyrex mixing bowl nesting set and they go real fast. Is there any good deal on just getting a bunch of small glass bowls in the 1 tablespoon - 1 cup size? I can't seem to find anything immediately in the pile of nesting sets.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Should I be refrigerating the bottle of sherry I just opened?

Technically yes, though I only do in the summer when my apartment is an oven.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I used a food processor to make a Thai curry paste and long story short, it was more chunky than it should be (lemongrass and galangal being the issues).

In the past, I'd used a blender (not having had a food processor at the time) and it was fine.

So, my question is: is a food processor an appropriate tool? Should I have added (more) water? Should I be using a blender? I know that, given my previous positive experience with a blender that maybe the answer is already clear but I'm asking mostly to clarify about the food processor.

I vaguely recall some very passionate answers to this involving using a mortar and pestle when making curry paste.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have a great meatloaf recipe before I just grab kenji's? Been craving it for some reason.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

What is the best tasting retail butter in the world.

There probably is some hard to find/local brand that is better, but I'd say it would be a toss up between Kerrygold (which is pretty readily available) and Vermont Creamery's Cultured. Either of those and a baguette and I'm good. Actually I think I just decided what I'm having for dinner tonight.

e; Related question: I saw a recipe that called for making butter with creme fraiche instead of heavy or double cream. Does it actually make much of a difference using different starting materials for butter or was this just a personal thing of the chef?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 7, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I stopped keeping butter in a crock on the counter because I found that I just kept eating buttered bread.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The language of a coward that wants to live longer.

I've been on a bit of a health improvement kick for the past year. I still eat and drink wonderful things but it has brought a lot of moderation. Stick of butter, a loaf of bread, and a pinch box of Maldon's for dinner just isn't in the cards anymore.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just realized I forgot to thank everyone for the butter answers, so thanks!

I also have another small question; when cooking with oil, especially in a cast iron, should I add the oil when the pan is hot and let it heat up, or put the oil in when I turn the heat on and let it all warm? I've seen it both ways so maybe it depends on what I'm making.

I tend to heat the pan dry, then add oil and give it a moment to heat before adding whatever I'm searing. It might matter for oils with lower smoking points in higher heats?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I was always told that it was to make the dough develop a skin, as the fabric draws moisture from the surface of the dough.

But that could be complete hogwash.

I thought it was the complete opposite -- covering it with a damp towel stops the dough from drying out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

For cheese storage, I wrap the block in parchment, rubber band it, and then stick it in a large airtight glass container (along with a few other pieces) in the fridge.

Good or bad? I've heard some people talking about cheese paper specifically or different containers but I'm not sure if it matters. I don't have a cheese drawer.

That's mostly fine. I have a cheese drawer in my fridge but its usually full and we have to store overflow cheese elsewhere. I have some "cheese paper" but i mostly got it because it was cheap and already portioned to wrap things easily, couldn't tell you if it is actually any different from parchment.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Heath posted:

Does anyone have input on this knife? I'm in the market for one and it seems well reviewed for the price. There seems to be an abundance of Chinese knock-off knives claiming to be super authentic Japanese steel on Amazon and nearly every one I click on below 100 dollars has photos of warped edges and broken tips.

I forget who it was on some "tour my kitchen" youtube video had a gorgeous chef's knife with amazing patina in a drawer that she just nods at and goes "oh yeah, i just leave that out for photos". That is kind of how I feel about any "damascus steel" knife. If you really want one for whatever reason, I'd probably just go to etsy? I recall there being a lot of cheapish ones there that looked decent, even if their quality might not be the greatest. Will probably be better than whatever you end up with out of the Amazon lottery.

If you're just shopping for a knife in general as opposed to THAT knife, then head to the knife thread for more guidance as there are ton of recs for different styles, what to prioritize getting first, etc.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

The same thing happend to my sun dried tomatoes. Leave them out on the counter for a while, if the white stuff disappears as they reach room temperature, they're fine.

Yeah, looked like some kind of fat that separated and solidified. If it melts when it warms up you're good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Resting Lich Face posted:

All you need to do to convert someone to the spicy side is introduce them to bulgogi.

Is bulgogi considered spicy? I don't think I've ever associated those two words.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm in NYC. More expensive beef cuts haven't risen at all (like a T-bone or ribeye are still both $16-17/lb), but less expensive cuts have risen (like a nasty gristly chuck is now $8/lb).

I have been pretty much exclusively shopping what is on clearance in NYC for the last 6 weeks. Hell, even ground beef is like $7-8/# right now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Bulgogi does not contain anything spicy, no. It's generally quite sweet. Something like jeyuk bokkeum or dalkgalbi would be a better choice for straightforward spicy Korean.

Yeah idk why you would use it as an introduction to spiciness. I've been making sichuan at home and have gone way off the deep end on spice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GordonComstock posted:

My CSA delivered some of what I can only describe as "fingerling eggplant", that also has some of the striations you see in Japanese eggplant. The eggplants are no larger than 2" and I've got about a pound. Any uses here that I should try out that you can't do with traditional, larger eggplants?

A friend got them in a CSA recently as well and referred to them as fairy eggplant, I believe they got sliced lengthwise and used as a decorative top layer on a rattatouie.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

While we're on the subject of chickpeas, is there a good and easy way to get the skins off? A friend commented on my hummus that he could taste the skins, and while it's never bothered me, I wonder if I'm keeping myself from making truly epic hummus. I'm not about to pick up and handle every single bean though. My standard technique is to pressure cook them with the barest sprinkle of baking soda.

Put it between your thumb and pointer and pinch. If there's a better way I don't know it. If I'm making a small batch I"ll do it, but once you're making more than enough for 2-4 people it just isn't worth the effort.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KoldPT posted:

what do y'all use to store/organize your recipes? i've been placing successful recipes on google keep which works well bc i can trivially mix in things i photograph from cookbooks, things i find online and things i write down, but i'd like something more well organized

do i have to make a pinterest

I started using Notion last year after using Evernote for a long time, have been loving it and its free now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I roughly chop some carrots and onions, so celery if I’ve got it, and a potato or two, then lay them out in a roasting tin, put the chicken on top.

Minor note on this, anything directly below the chicken is likely to be undercooked. I'll halve a head of garlic and use it to functionally lift the chicken up a bit to improve the airflow and make sure the potatoes and whatnot in the pan actually cook evenly. This also makes sure that the juices are nice and flavorful for your gravy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

$77 from D'Artagnan?

:popeye:

I love that store but holy poo poo is it expensive.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oh hell yeah, I'll do a dollop of pesto on top of each plate as a garnish.

I tend to do sprig of basil in with the tomatoes that gets removed, and then I add fresh basil leaves when its almost ready.

Bianco DiNapoli are the Californian tomatoes that were mentioned earlier, they're supposed to be good but I've never actually seen them on a shelf. San Marzano are best, but I do also keep Pomi around for emergencies because they come in efficient packaging. Otherwise I tend to buy Cento branded crap.

Put some anchovy paste or anchovy filets in with your onions. If I'm making a big batch I'll use a whole tin of canned anchovies and actually use the oil they were packaged in too.

Use whole peeled tomatoes and cook them until you can smush them with a spoon. The only time you're going to want to use "diced" is if you're going to want the diced pieces in your final product - sometimes you feel like a chunky sauce. Don't get pureed tomatoes unless you know you're going to have the time to cook them down because you won't be able to drain all that excess water.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've just started buying large turkey breasts and sous vide'ing them. No one in my family actually likes turkey anyway and I can't use drippings for gravy because I do a vegetarian mushroom herb gravy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

poeticoddity posted:

Speaking of sieves, does anyone have a buy-once-cry-once chinois they like?

I've got no idea if there's a difference between a $25 one and a $75 one, but I've got a few people asking me what I want for Christmas and "fancy French strainer" is definitely in the realm of things I'd like/use but probably would never buy for myself. (Because I can just use a normal spherical strainer and make disappointed faces when it gets clogged up.)

I have a $20 one I hate and am confident is never really clean, so def open to recommendations on this as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

For spatchcocking there's not really anything to find, it's more just brute forcing your way through.

Ymmv but I don't use one. Either an immersion blender or a food processor does the trick very well for me, but even if there were some little bits, I would be fine with that in a pot roast gravy. I can't really think of much I use a mesh strainer for -- I have a tiny one for distributing meat glue or powdered sugar, but I think that's about it. I also don't have a dishwasher so I really never feel like I can get mesh clean.

I use it for straining broths when I really care about clarity the 2-3 times a year I feel like it matters to my guests. Otherwise its just on rice rinsing duty.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enki42 posted:

I don't think you need to get fancy though, I have some crap ceramic container with a wood lid that probably cost me $1 10 years ago.

I got gifted the star wars little coquettes last year and have just taken to using them as salt cellars. They're a little small but get the job done without having to buy one more thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Right, so last holiday season I made a duck with delicious crispy skin and it's been requested again. The problem is I had spent the day drinking my beer advent calendar and improvising so I'm really struggling to recall what I did. I think I basted it several times with a mix of olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, rosemary, pepper and... ???

Any of you know some good recipes that are similar? I'd like to take a look at some other examples, then maybe I can reconstruct a facsimile of whatever the heck I did, because it was a real good duck.

The duck at eleven Madison park is rubbed with honey and then covered in a Sichuan peppercorn, coriander seed, cumin seed, lavender blend.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wife put oil packed boquerones in the cabinet instead of the fridge. They've been sitting two weeks. I'm assuming they're safe to eat, but that the texture and flavor may have gone to poo poo?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Torquemada posted:

I wouldn’t eat those, sorry. They don’t have nearly enough salt for me to consider them cured, they’re basically just marinated.

e: unless they’re tinned? The ones I get are basically fresh in a light marinade.

One of the local tapas places turned grocer happened to have some so we were able to replace them (for a small fortune) without having to venture back to the big spanish grocer that was likely swarmed.

I had a mild freakout that was kind of some pent up 2020 frustration that this year couldn't even let me get the 7 fish done correctly, but the meal went off without a hitch once I calmed down.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

If it’s not smooth enough from blending, push it through a fine mesh sieve. I only ever bother doing this if I have company, because if I’m cooking just for me it’s too much effort, but it does make for a super smooth soup.

Related question: how the hell are you supposed to clean those fine meshes? I always rinse them and sponge away any visible solids that are stuck, but i just never feel like they're ever clean again once you start using them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

I like olive oil that tastes good but I don't go through very much so it's always way old by the time I eat it. Is there a standard solution for keeping olive oil fresh? Like a boxed wine type of equivalent for olive oil? Or olive oil that comes in extremely small containers? Or does putting it in the freezer help?

I have an olive oil that I just use as a daily driver that I buy 2L at a time and just keep in a small container. When it comes to good olive oil, I don't buy more than 250ml or 500ml at a time depending on what they offer, keep it in a cool dark place, and plan on using it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use canola for all my wok cooking, and then finish wish a sprinkle of sesame oil when appropriate.

Counterpoint: I make my dan dan noodles entirely in sesame oil and it is magnificent.