Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I know I will probably regret asking, but how does one make an inauthentic martini? Surely a martini is a martini, and things that aren’t martinis are called something else?

A martini is gin and vermouth in either a 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 ratio. It came from a variation on the Martinez cocktail originating from the Occidental Hotel here in SF in the 1860s. If vodka is the base, it’s a variation on a Kangaroo cocktail. A lot of people think they are interchangeable or that anything in a martini glass is a “martini” but those are colloquialisms and inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Advise her to never cook something for the first time when hosting.

What a horrifically boring and obnoxious statement.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No particular book, but if you have questions let me know. This was my specialty in University.

Very cool. My dad took a seminar on Robber Barons in Grad school and he used to tell me very interesting stories growing up. Also was a Boy Scout in the 50s here in the Bay so a lot of cowboy food.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo dude, are you new here?

Because I'm not. I know all about pressure cookers and Instant Pots, and I cook and eat a lot of beans. I just wanted a dedicated rice cooker, I'm not sure how that earned your condescension.

I tend to have a real bad temper but this wasn’t how I read that post at all?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My Chef recommended this to me when my mom asked for a pasta maker for a holiday and it's been great. I would say to buy the pasta drying rack (basically a mounted upright dowel with other smaller dowels stemming from it in order to hang pasta) and the ravioli mould tray if you want to make either string pasta or any sort of dumpling thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062R6WC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to say, I am the resident family cook for holidays and it's been nice because one time we all made raviolis together and the next when I needed a low key xmas I did flat sheets and everyone got to assemble their own little mini-lasagnes in a bread loaf pan from a bunch of fillings I prepped and we baked them off... Everyone got exactly what they wanted without all the work on my part.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anyone have salad advice, or a resource they'd recommend? I'd like to eat more salad but it seems like the quality is very inconsistent. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or buying the wrong brand of lettuce or what.

I'd also like to be able to make a week of salads on Sunday, so make-ahead tips and suggestions for salads with suitable ingredients (i.e. non-wilting) are appreciated.

I mean, I think you might be well suited by doing some googling about bagged salad combos and seeing which things appeal to you. Trader Joes and Safeways have some nice ones to just test out and try, then you can recreate at home. If you legit want them to last a week or more, I think something along the line of an "asian sesame" thing with shredded cabbages and greens is best, I've also had great luck with TJ's "cruciferous" salad or a "BBQ tofu southwest" on mixed greens sort of thing.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Please refrigerate all aromatized and oxidized wines. Please.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You make better syrup by merely stirring in sugar with a cold process rather than heating or boiling, particularly with jamaica. Just agitate until integrated.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I posted this in the discord but I know there's a lot more people here, so I'm cross posting.

Anyone got a recipe for a Chardonnay & citrus dressing/sauce? My mom had a bottle in her pantry (I think it had been like a gift basket thing) and Ive been using it on fish and chicken for her and she really likes it. I tried to buy her more and of course, the company discontinued it a few years back (it's Robert Rothschild Organics, they make a bunch of sauces and dips.)

The ingredients listed are: water, sugar, fennel, OJ, onions, oil, honey, chardonnay, shallots, dijon, corn starch, lemon juice, orange flavor, sea salt, fennel seeds, orange peel, xanthum, thyme, citric acid

I can sort of throw something together based on the ingredient list, but I figured I'd see if anyone had a go-to recipe to either modify or try out. Trying to get mom to eat healthier at home instead of getting takeout. My real question is if we think it's a reduced chardonnay wine itself or chardonnay vinegar base is best... it tastes more like a reduction or a verjus than a vinegar but I bet both would be tasty

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I long for the day when I am tired of foie gras.

Open a Michelin starred restaurant, that did it for me. Wait, actually, run as far and as fast as you can away from the restaurant industry if you dont want to break your brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I like glass for things more like cobblers or really juicy pies and metal (although heavier, not the little marie calendars flexi ones) but now that I am trying to think of *why* that is, I am not really sure... might just be nostalgia because that's how my mom tended to do it.