Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I find that a pastry bag works well for my pepper mill, but I also have a spice funnel and it is amazing how many uses there are for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Olive! posted:

Is it worth it to make lasagna noodles from scratch? Is it still worth it if you don't have a pasta roller?

Yes it definitely is, and personally I wouln't worry about not having a pasta roller. I have one, but I don't do my lasagna noodles in it. It's kind of satisfying to roll them by hand.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Favorite cheeses and cheese combinations for grilled cheese? Also what kind of non-tomato soup do you like to go with them?*

*Tomato soup is the best choice obviously.

Cheddar and Branston's pickle are very nice in grilled cheese. We also like a pepperjack and colby combination.

If your sandwich is pungent enough, french onion soup goes well.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Manifisto posted:

Hmm since the chickencheese thread got closed I'm not sure where to post stuff about a possible community badge

I was messing around with one of the concepts discussed and here's a preliminary:

should this topic be a thread?

e: maybe better without the red tint?

Meant in the kindest way possible, but the rapid-flash from image to image is kinda triggery if you have neurological stuff...

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Manifisto posted:

cool, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for smoothing those transitions, Manifisto! Makes a big difference to the likes o' me :)

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Concur on the roasting and that the sprouts should be fine from a safety standpoint.

Also, take a thin slice off of the base of each one when you peel the browned leaves off. (You were probably planning to do that already.) Another thing that you could do to improve palatability is to soak the sprouts in cold salt water for 20-30 minutes before roasting. It helps mitigate any bitterness.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Strange question, but has anyone here had a jar of Vegemite crystallize on top? And if it does, can I still use it?

I may have overbought last time, and my last big jar has a fine sprinkling of sparkly crystals on the surface of the spread. They are definitely crystals, not mold. Quite pretty really, but I've never seen this before and I will be bereft/miffed if I have to discard a 455 g jar :(

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

poeticoddity posted:

http://benstarr.com/blog/the-truth-about-vegemite-from-an-american-foodie/
This suggests you're looking at crystalline MSG, which means it probably should be stirred back in.

Ok that's fascinating! I had tasted it when I first saw it (I know, I know), and knew that it wasn't just salt which had been my first guess. I've just never seen it crystallize out like that, but it makes sense. Back into the spread it goes.

Ben Starr's blog looks like a fun read, too. Thank you!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

PerniciousKnid posted:

Thank you all for the ideas! I've done some googling previously and found some lovely blogs so it's helpful to get some more specific ideas to investigate.

If you can stand one more, you might enjoy a three-bean salad, and it keeps very well: green beans, wax beans, and red kidney beans with some sliced red onion, all lightly pickled in a dressing of vinegar, oil, and a little bit of sugar.

The classic version that most people have encountered uses canned beans, but if you make it with fresh beans it is really tasty.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
You might be able to attack the melted plastic with a paste of equal parts baking soda and coconut oil - spread it thickly, leave it for 24 hours, and see if it lifts. It might take several iterations to get it all.

The oil attacks the plasticizers, and the combination is basically a non-toxic (or at least much less toxic) version of Goo Gone. It can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I'll add my usual lasagna suggestion, or chili or stew, or make them do the work and you lay out the ingredients then have a fix-your-own tacos night.