Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

captkirk posted:

Stupid question that's kind of too broad to actually answer: How do I eat seasonally? Or really more specifically, anyone have and ideas/recommendations/tips on how to start eating more seasonally? There's always a certain romance in descriptions of certain foods and the seasons they're associated with and I think it could end up forcing me to try more vegetables in different ways but every time I sit down and decide what to cook for the week I just go through cook books until I see something that looks good and then I go to the grocery store hungrier than I should and buy anything that looks good.

I joined a CSA and that forced me to cook seasonally because all my veggies were what came in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of the best dishes I’ve ever had was “Castellan Sopa de Ajo” (Spanish Garlic Soup) at a fancy tapas restaurant.
However, every attempt I’ve made at it leads to a soup full of really inflated+soggy bread cubes, whereas the soup in my memory was contained crouton-like bread bits that were hard, crunchy and not soggy at all.
Is there a way to get that effect? Do I just add hard bread bits right before serving?

My experience says this:

1.) Use old, hardened bread
2.) Throw it in the oven to get it as close to totally dry as possible
3.) Add it to the soup right before you're ready to eat it.

The bread will get soggy in minutes, its the nature of sopa de ajo.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

What can I do with beets that's not just roasting or pickling them?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

I have a 2lb salmon fillet I need to cook soon. Problem is that I'm the only one in my house who eats it. Usually I just grill or pan cook it. I'm looking for something different. I'm even thinking I might cut it up and prepare it a few different ways. Ideas?

Salted salmon freezes extremely well, and its easy to break out for random weeknight dinners.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

FishBowlRobot posted:

Any suggestions/recipes on what to do with a whole duck?

My oven's on the fritz, unfortunately, so I would need to work around that limitation. I've also never cooked duck before, and I've only eaten it a few times. So something simple might be best, even though I'm not a total noob in the kitchen.

I'd carve the breasts from the legs. If you have a sous-vide, confit the legs, and make Pan seared orange sauce breasts. Use the carcass to make a killer duck stock.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I bought a 6lb slab of pork belly. Last time I bought this much I made red braised pork, crispy pork belly and thin sliced hoisin pork belly. What are some other pork belly dishes I can make?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Garlic eggplant is always a hit in my house: https://omnivorescookbook.com/chinese-eggplant-with-garlic-sauce

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

BBQ Dave posted:

I have a pork loin in my freezer I need to cook but just seasoning and roasting sounds boring. Any cheap & easy ideas? Thanks.

I made this recipe recently and it was a hit: https://thewoksoflife.com/pork-stir-fry-sweet-bean-sauce/

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I have a whole chicken. I would like to do something more interesting than just roasting it. Anyone have any suggestions?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Gonna try this! Will report back

enki42 posted:

Hainanese chicken rice is fun to try. Basically you simmer a whole chicken, and use the broth from that, along with chicken skin, fat and ginger and garlic to make super flavourful rice, and pair it with a bunch of dips.

Joshua Weissman can be a lot but he does a good job of selling the appeal of the dish here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKvItPZhHjM

I actually made Hainanese chicken a few weeks ago. It was really good but relatively high effort.

(pardon the poor photography)

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

How do you make caramel sauce without your sugar crystalizing? I'm on attempt three to make caramel sauce for flan, and no amount of stirring seems to avoid it. The recipe I was following said to simply put a cup of sugar and two tablespoons of water in a pan over medium heat, and stir until sauce forms. I followed the wisdom I've always heard of adding a spritz of lemon juice to help avoid crystallization, but so far its just been a complete train-wreck.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

There were a lot of ppl plopping a burrito's amount of stuff onto a 6" tortilla and having 2/3 of it spill out when they take a bite.

I feel personally attacked.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I bought a whole rabbit. I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

SubG posted:

Braising is the classic answer. Part out the rabbit, sear in the bottom of a Dutch oven or roasting pan over a high heat, reserve the meat, sweat some onion in the same pan, deglaze with wine, add a couple whole tomatoes and cook until they come apart (or a Tbsp or two of tomato paste and cook until the paste takes some colour), add some stock (or water if you don't have stock), add the meat back to the pan, add some thyme and/or rosemary, simmer until tender. While that's cooking make a sort of pesto out of garlic, almonds, and Italian/flat leaf parsley, grinding it all together in a m&p. When the meat's done, work the paste into the cooking liquid to thicken/flavour it, simmer for a couple more minutes, done. Serve with crusty bread.

I made this recipe and followed the hank shaw blog for how to break down the rabbit and it was a rousing success! Thanks folks!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I have some salmon collars. I've never cooked salmon collars. Anyone have a go-to recipe?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Sprinkle them with sea salt, charcoal grill them and serve with lemon - shiozake kama. You could also spritz them with mirin and broil them. Either way I think a simple prep with rice and soy sauce would be best. Second choice would be a stew or chowder

I marinated in soy + mirin for a bit and then broiled and it was a great result! I appreciate the suggestions

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I just got the meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer. Anyone have any good resources/recommendations on getting started with making burgers/sausages all that fun stuff?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

My anova vacuum sealer bit the dust. Is there a goon recommended vacuum sealer I should be buying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Kitchen organization question: what do people use to organize spices? All the spice racks i find online assume you have piddly bottles of spice, which is fine for like 80% of my spice needs, but stuff like paprika i tend to buy in much larger bags and I need a different storage solution for those.