Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yes. It's better and faster. Volume might as well be eyeballing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just start using fish sauce everywhere you "salt to taste". I'll wait here.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

DildenAnders posted:

Chocolate Chip cookies?
To add to discussion, I will admit my secret weapon in scrambled eggs is a couple of small dashes of Worcestershire while scrambling. I'm sure another Fish Sauce would be just as delicious. Adds some nice color too!

I'd try it before dismissing the idea entirely!!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You really should use a mortar and pestle and it's less work than you'd think.

E: get a bigger mortar and pestle

Sextro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 24, 2020

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I always feel a little bad that I like the salt levels in Kenji recipes as is. Hypertension here I come :v:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Always eat your potato skins, they've all the good stuff!
and any excuse to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0uz6YdTcM&t=441s

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Corla Plankun posted:

How many have you had? If it has only been a few it might just be that you've never had a ripe one, but I don't understand people who don't like certain food textures so maybe your texture issues are just ruining the experience.

It's this. Avocados need to be perfectly ripe and most places serving them aren't nearly picky enough.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm making overnight steel cut oats in a Zojirushi. I load it at around 9-10PM, and it starts cooking at 6AM.

Is there any safety issue with putting milk in it at night? It's ~organic~ whole milk if it matters (which I believe is pasteurized at a higher temperature or something). If so, would another milk, like oat milk or almond milk be okay, and if so, which do people recommend?

e: I'm not married to cow milk, it's just available

It breaks the rules of food safety and I can't recommend you do it. That said I used to do it all the time when I ate oatmeal.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nobody should be doing new natural gas installs, natural gas is a fossil fuel.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How long will you keep your stove, and how long do you think it will be "OK" to be burning any amount of fossil fuels? Deciding to purchase something that you use as long as you use any appliance dependent entirely on a fossil fuel in the year 2020 is, while incredibly normal, is entirely stupid. Especially considering that viable price comparable alternatives exist.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If there's anything I hate more than cleaning up after cooking it's having to wash 7 different cups and spoons just from assembling my mise. gently caress that it all goes in a bowl/pot on a scale.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Midniter posted:

If you have the money (and space, obviously), I'd recommend the Breville Smart Oven. Since I got one, it's been used probably 3-4 times a day, and I've turned my large oven on about one time in the past three weeks. It's incredible.

I will 2nd this, but add the caveat that it never actually gets any color on my toast unless I run it through 2 cycles.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Italian’s aren’t real and they can’t hurt you. Make the pressure cooker risotto, put cream wherever you want and pineapple is ok on pizza.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don’t know where the limit is, but I’ve definitely turned a case of 25lbs of carcasses into 8qts of really rich stock.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Some people like to drop everything on the floor for extra drama at dinner time.

E: that’s what I get for forgetting to refresh the awful app.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Personally I think every meal should hit 11 on all 5 tastes.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sweet is a flavor too and pigeon holing sugar to “only breakfast and desserts” is a weird culinary corner to paint yourself into.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

There’s not many things you can’t reduce and make something tasty. Some ingredients might require more mechanical and thermal persuasion than others.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I too have been pronouncing that YouTube channel as “Microsoft binging with babish”.

I like bing, using it gives me free Xbox live.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Kenji’s brain has been sufficiently melted by liberalism. Meaning that he can no longer understand studies that disagree with what will give him the most engagement from his target audience.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 7, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

https://modernistpantry.com/products/amylase.html

Chef steps has a macaron recipe using this product. It handily solves the question of “how make corn flavor”.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just start adding celery to any dish I’m sautéing onions for. Or stir frying it into things. I like celery tho.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

dino. posted:

I don’t quite know of someone whose whole rear end dinner plans are now fuckt because a few ingredients didn’t quite make it. But then, I’ve never considered a meal kit either, so there you go.

During the early phases of the pandemic I struggled to keep enough fresh produce on hand to allow for the kind of flexibility in meal preparation you’re assuming being possible. That experience triggered a whole new approach to food prep/grocery shopping on our part to avoid that issue though.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

There's always Drinkmate, and they get bonus points for making the omnifizz designed to be washable so you can fizz juices/things that would void your sodastream warranty.

https://idrinkproducts.com/

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bell and Evans also has the most preem packaging and do the air chill thing so their chickens aren't "up to 6%" chlorinated water by weight. I want to prefer buying local farmer chicken from farm stands/farmers markets but around here those are only sold frozen and whole and even more expensive than Bell and Evans... Other than the morals/principals of wanting to buy local it's an inferior experience and the quality is actually lower in the case of the farms around here.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Anything makes pesto if you're brave enough

https://pestomatrix.com/

Well I did a pesto with Collards, Cream Cheese and Almonds. Was super good on penne alongside leftover turkey and roast sweet potato cubes. Pesto going into the weekly rotation now thanks to this thing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Eeyo posted:

They even make ones with a little water seal so it stays fresh longer

Worth mentioning, but this style doesn't work out so well when your "room temperature" is above 74F or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Not all ramen is pork broth and not all pork broth is so rich it is creamy with fat!

Have you tried a shio or miso ramen??