Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I loving suck at sauteeing garlic till golden. I always ALWAYS overcook my garlic and then it tastes awful. Any tips, I just always seem to gently caress it up. If I try to take it off heat as soon as it goldens it still always seems to cook over. Maybe my heat is too high? gently caress I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I am starting to make my own broths more and more often. I am often blanching my bones and what not and after the various sources typically say to wash the bones. Well inside of the bone after blanching is really soft and gelatenous. I am thinking this is marrow but not sure, should I be removing this from my bones while washing?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Whatever I use corn starch I always find the end product comes out a bit gritty. I make a slurry beforehand, and I definitely mix it all well. Is it the quality of corn starch I'm using or is this just inevitable?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Anyone have any good recipes/ideas for cooking chicken for a week to be used in various things like pastas, salads, soups, stews, ramens? I really like paremsane breaded chicken and make it often but it doesn't hold up well if I make a bunch and then just slice some off for meals here and there.

I just basically want to pre-prepare like a weeks worth of chicken I can dump into things. I have done just generalized breasts cooked and then cut and coated in a spice mix of like paprika, pepper, salt, and garlic powder and that was pretty decent. I know how to do it in ways that are ok but was curious if anyone has some slam dunk recommendations?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Got a sous vide? I think if you cook in bag then refrigerate in bag it should keep longer since it’s basically pasteurized

I do have one. Any suggestions on prep or what to put in the bag so I don't just end up with bland chicken?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Lester Shy posted:

I sous vide 1-2 pounds of chicken per week for things like chicken salad, sandwiches, etc. I usually put them in with some olive oil, salt, pepper and a slice of lemon, but honestly you can do them completely plain (except for salt) if it's going to be shredded into something more flavorful.

I give them 1-2 hours at 155. You could go lower, but 155 is a good middle ground. I'll sear them on the stove if it's going to be the centerpiece of a dish, but I don't bother for most applications.

I thought sous videing with olive oil was bad at worst and unnecessary at best.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I tried cooking some long grain brown rice in my zojiroshi but zojiroshi doesn't really have directions for long grain rice. So I followed the direction for medium/short and used the brown rice setting but it came out pretty drat mushy when I want much more seperated grains. Any advice?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Got some flank steak from an asian market, unfortunately after cooking it and cutting into it, there was just blood in the meat. And yes I know that normal steak juices are not blood, I am talking actual blood still in the meat. It grossed me out and I tossed it but thinking back maybe that was wasteful. Is that steak still safe to eat if it had blood in it?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Recently used Kenji Lopez's carne asada recipe with skirt steak: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/carne-asada-food-lab-recipe-kenji.html

It was loving awesome! I don't mess wiht marinades as much as I should and this was crazy crazy good. I want to try some of this marinade on chicken but I know marinating chicken can be a bit different than beef, doesn't anyone have any suggestions for how long I should marinade some thin chicken breast in a marinade like this?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

BigRed0427 posted:

Chicken in a cast iron skillet. How long shluldni cook each side? Every site i find tells me to but the skillet in the oven and gently caress that.

I do know you want it on med-high heat.

Get a good meat thermometer. Or learn to feel your meat to tell if its done. But a good probe meat thermometer is a great way to go about it and just figure it out on your own. I typically start on a very high heat to get a good sear, and then if its still not done I lower the heat and continue cooking till it hits whateveri t wnats.

Practice that enough soon you won't need the meat thermometer. Touch your meat during the process to learn what well cooked meat feels like.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

So I bought some farro from sprouts, soaked it overnight and I've been cooking it in water at a boil for an hour and a half and only a tiny amount of them have cooked and the rest are still completely undercooked. What the gently caress is up with this grain?!

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 1, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Anyone know what is the best kind of cermaic to use as a warming stone? I was thinking of just picking up a fire brick and putting it in the oven for a bit and wrapping it in a towel and placing it below food I know will be out a long itme that I want to keep from getting cold but I have no idea if that is dumb and there are better materials.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I'm upping my baked chicken wings game following Kenji's advice. It's so good. Other than some good old Buffalo sauce or sometimes a lemon pepper sprinkling, what do y'all like to toss your wings with?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Been doing homemade french fries lately. Following serious eats method of blanch, quick fry, cool/dry/freeze then final fry. They are super tasty!

However, when I do this I make a large batch and freeze most of them following the second step. This works pretty ok but the problem is they get a ton of ice crystals on them in the freezer so when I try to deep fry them from frozen its a bit dangerous becuase of all the water. Anyone have any tips to avoid this issue?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I have started using stainless steel pans more. Whenever I do high heat cooking my pans get very dark colored stains on them, I think its baked in oil or something. However just scrubbing with soap and water doesn't always seem to get those stains off. I kinda ignore it because it doesn't seem to effect much but I guess I should check if A) is that ok to do, or B) how can I properly clean those pans if soaking an scrubbing isn't enough.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Is it weird that I like roasting veggies like brocolli and brussel sprouts to the point that they are crunchy and almost completely blackeneded? Right on the edge of being concerned just completely burned. I really love em like that!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Well that makes me feel better, seperate question:

I've got a carbon steel flat bottomed wok. I must have tried reasoning this thing a thousand times. I scrub it down to the bare metal with steel wool and what not. Then I heat it up to smoking, and put canola oil all over it, let it cool, and then do it again upwards of three to five times.

However my patina never keeps. After a long cook the build up always seems to start flaking off. I'm going crazy, its weird that I cannot keep it non-stick or even remotely patina'd. Any suggestions?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

BrianBoitano posted:

How much oil do you add and do you immediately wipe it "dry"?

I dunno how to quantify it, but I add like a few splooshes from my bottle onto a papertowel and rub it all over the surface.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

BrianBoitano posted:

Bone dry or you've over applied, my dude. Surprisingly good video on it, the only thing I'd add is oil selection matters, use safflower or sunflower if you want the best results. Well, stinky flax oil is truly best but a bit impractical for most.

https://youtu.be/73IzU7g-vwU

So I am pretty sure this is pretty much how i apply it, but yeah maybe I should buff it more. One of the weird things is whenever I watch tehse videos they are using a towel, but when I use a towel (I own the exact same one he is using in the video) or even a paper towel, when applying it, they always burn. Does that mean my heat is way too high?

Should I be applying the oil AS its heating up as opposed to once its heated?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

As far as "You cannot clean cast iron or carbon steel with soap." Claim what the hell is the truth. I've heard both sides of this all the time?

Can I use my dobie pad and soap to scrub my castiron/carbon steel or will that gently caress my build up?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I'm trying to get a good earthenware(?) Bowl that I can cook with. Trying to get into more Asian cooking and I see a lot of recipes that use these stone or ceramic bowls that they can not only put over a burner but they also serve out of. Any suggestions? Can they be glazed? Should they be? Should they be raw stone?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I feel like it's hard to find any online that aren't glazed

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Annath posted:

What's a superbag?

Would also like to know my Google is failing me

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

What are some good simple recipes for left over dashi

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Helith posted:

Japanese curry

I can't find any recipe for this that doesn't seem like a huge PITA

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Anyone have any suggestions for wonton soup that tastes like chins, or pickup styx. I don't want authentic wonton soup, I specifically want this lovely wonton soup.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Whenever I cook Asian dishes and the recipe calls for sesame oil the dish always tastes so overpoweringly like sesame oil. I don't get it, it never tastes like this when I go out but at home it's insanely overpowering

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Hmm how can I tell. The sesame oil I get from my Asian market is just called sesame oil

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Sesame oil IS super strong and you should use it lightly

Then why do most recipes call for such large amounts of it

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Anyone have any exact brand recommendations for non-toasted sesame oil?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

Can you post an example recipe? I can't think of anything that uses a large amount, it's typically a teaspoon or two added at the end to finish. If the recipe is actually asking you to cook in sesame oil, it needs to be untoasted. I've never used it as cooking oil so I don't know any brands. Looks like it's pretty expensive, I'd just use peanut or something like that instead.

https://thewoksoflife.com/wonton-soup-recipe/

I made these the other night. The 2 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil is OVERPOWERING in the wonton filling. Of course I believe I am using toasted sesame so I am guessing that is the problem.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, that recipe is calling for toasted. The real problem is Woks of Life, I've never seen a site that varies so wildly between decent and terrible recipes.

That said it probably isn't as overpowering if you've been eating sesame oil your whole life. In a recipe like that one you could just leave it out of the filling entirely and add a bit to the soup at the end, adjust to your preference. Think if it more like a condiment than an ingredient.

Alright thanks. I think whenever a recipe calls for sesame oil I am going to really hone it back.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Similarly I've been realizing a tiny bit of white pepper goes a long way. Its so weird that it smells like horse poo poo.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

How many degrees will the internal temp of a thick porterhouse rise well resting? Or better question, what temperature should I pull it out of the cast iron so that when it's done resting it's fully at the perfect temperature?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

What kind of rags do you guys use to season your cast iron after cleaning? THis has been a bane of my existence. Microfiber cloths are lint free but they are also plastic and I have melted a couple. Paper towels and my bulk kitchen dish towels tend to leave behind a lot of lint. Its really annoying. Any amazon products highly appreciated.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Mister Facetious posted:

Don't press as hard with paper towel and it will be fine. You're not looking to clean the pan when you season it, just lightly absorb any excess oil in preparation for sticking in the oven.

This is what I do and I still get mad lint. Probably because of lodge's lovely bumpy surface.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

If it's a newer lodge pan, i would strip it completely, sand it down, and then season it fresh.

This sounds like a massive pain in the rear end. Does anyone just make a cast iron that is smooth? I'd rather pay more than do that bullshit

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

On two seperate occasions I have tried the serious eats gelatin method for cleaning used fry oil: https://www.seriouseats.com/clean-cooking-oil-with-gelatin-technique

I'm using peanut oil. And I am creating the water gelatin mix, but after I add the oil, while vigorously stirring and putting it in the fridge, the next morning, though there are two distinct layers, my oil on the top layer is incredibly cloudy and solidified. What is happening?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, that's the goal? It's solid because of the gelatin. It's cloudy because the gelatin trapped the gunk. How is it different from the Serious Eats pictures?

The top layer is cloudy oil. The bottom layer is clouded water/gelatin I think with all the solids trapped in, but my oil is cloudy after this method and solid in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Leaving it out the oil turned more liquidy but was still semi firm. Something definitely went wrong. I think I'll avoid this method moving forward.