Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need a decent pad Thai recipe.

Everywhere I look online says something like “this is an authentic pad thai recipe, similar to what you would get in Thailand”.

I don’t want that-I want some Americanized version I would get for take-out. I’ve tried a few recipes and nothing tastes to what I’m looking for.

I have access to an international market, but I didn’t see palm sugar the last time I was there-I’ve got some concentrated tamarind paste and good fish sauce, but I also don’t have dried shrimp.

The ones I’ve made in the past either taste like nothing, or way too fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have a go-to pizza dough recipe? We made pizzas yesterday and they were great, really good crust and the dough rose amazingly in the oven. We ended up with light, fluffy, chewy crusts, and it was softer where the toppings were. But it tasted a little underwhelming. I'd like to mimic something close to Dominos, where the dough gets sweet the more you chew it.

The recipe we followed was 300g flour with 300ml water, 7g yeast, 1tsp salt, 1 tbsp olive oil. Left it overnight in the pantry (covered) to develop flavour. Added 150g the next day and kneaded for 10 minutes. Whole process was a breeze, and made us want to have pizza night once a month. First ball we handled with floured hands but it was nightmarish due to how sticky it still was, if you handled it quick enough it was manageable but above our skill level (and we didn't want to add too much flour into the dough). We coated the bottom with cornflour and sprinkled some on the crust, it was nice. The second ball we handled with oiled hands (olive oil) and it was much easier to shape and move. There wasn't any noticeable difference between the two pizzas, so we're going to oil hands before handling from now on. Oven cranked to 250c, with a cast iron pizza thingy in there to get rip-roaring hot.

As far as I can tell, we've nailed the mechanics of pizza making, but now it's a guessing game I'd rather not play of picking a recipe that fits what we want. Final question is how to use mozzarella balls without it releasing a bunch of moisture onto the pizza. It wasn't a huge issue, most water would evaporate in the oven and then once the pizza was taken out, we let it cool a little and the water went away. It's just the flavour of fresh mozzarella balls is much nicer vs shredded. We've been slow roasting toppings (mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn) in the oven beforehand and that dries them out enough to use as toppings, but you can't really do that with cheese.

Recipe for 2 balls (14” each in diameter) of New York style pizza:

245g water at 95 degrees Fahrenheit
1.13g instant dry yeast

-combine in stand mixer with a spoon

Add 400g bread flour
10g salt

-mix with dough hook on low for 2-3 minutes.
-let sit ten minutes (you can ball it halfway through this if you want, but not necessary
-mix another 2 minutes
-cover dough and rest at room temp for 4 hours

-after 4 hours, divide in half (325g each), ball and stretch and place each one into individual Tupperware (oiled). Place in fridge for 1-4 days.

Remove from fridge and let stand at room temp 3 hours prior to cooking.

For the mozzarella, you can treat it like tofu-slice it or keep it in balls, put down a few layers of paper towels, the cheese, more paper towels, and put them in between to cookie sheets with a weight on top. It should press out some moisture.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Qubee rather explicitly asked for Domino's style pizza, though. They want it to taste sweet and your recipe doesn't even have sugar! I sympathize because when I skimmed the post I was getting ready to post a pizza crust recipe too, but then I realized that my recipes don't taste anything like Dominos (I assume).

Yeah good point...if he ever wants NY style though-try mine!

No idea about dominos...try the forums at pizza-making.com...they come up with a lot of replica recipes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Qubee posted:

I put cold pizza dough straight into the oven and what I initially thought was gooey yummy cheese was just straight up undercooked dough that I'd been fermenting in the fridge for 5 days :barf: managed to eat half the drat pizza before realizing. And now all my insides are bubbling and I feel like I'll be regretting it tomorrow. Refrigerated the rest and will heat it up slowly tomorrow in the oven.

You didn’t let the dough warm up for a few hours before the oven? Normally it has to be out for about 2-3 hours for me to even stretch properly.

Did it stretch out ok for you? I imagine if it’s too cold it just won’t stretch at all and stay like a ball.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Qubee posted:

I assumed it would be the same as bread (which I've baked straight from the fridge many times without a problem). So yeah, I took it straight out the fridge and whacked it into the oven. It was stretching out fine - if anything, it was easier to manage. Though I did leave it in the fridge for five days so the dough was very rested and handled easier.

Lesson learned. The pizza tasted delicious but the undercooked dough was revolting once I'd realized it wasn't cheese and was killing my guts.

Hmm good point on it being easy to handle since it sat in there for 5 days.

Maybe the oven/stone wasn’t preheated enough or you didn’t let it cook enough? If it was a thicker dough, I could see the top/bottom looking burnt so you may have pulled it before the inside cooked enough.

What temp/how long did you cook it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Searing/browning isn't a thing over there. Koreans at least think you immediately get cancer if you eat meat with any kind of a crust.

But double-fried chicken is totally ok?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wegmans sells these huge family packs of fresh potato gnocchi. Think these would freeze well and I could just cook a bit longer from frozen?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

With my starter, after about a week or so there’s a layer of grayish liquid at the top. I just stir it back in, but wtf is that?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tuyop posted:

It’s hooch. Alcohol and stuff from the yeast doing its thing. Pour it off and feed your starter when you see it.

Oh...so don’t mix it back in. Think I killed off the starter much by keeping it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of yeast, IDY and ADY, are the unopened packets good to stay in a cabinet or should they be refrigerated? I know they aren’t refrigerated in the store, but just wondering about longevity.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I want to make eggs Benedict for my wife next weekend.

I’m looking at kenji’s fool-proof 2-minute hollandaise sauce and his poached eggs-anyone used this before or think I should go another route?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/foolproof-poached-eggs-food-lab-recipe.html

Also-what should I be doing as far as timing/process? Like, I’m thinking get the water temp to where I want it for the eggs, then I toast the muffins, poach the eggs, then do the hollandaise last so the hollandaise warms everything up-think that’s a good way to do it?

I’m more than open to tweak that-I’ve never done hollandaise before. And typing that out I didn’t factor in the Canadian bacon at all...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

No experience with Kenji's recipe-I've always used Julia Child's- but I think hollandaise is not nearly as hard as people think it is. I've never had a bad time with it and I'm no gourmet chef. It really is not especially problematic, and it should hold fine for a while on the stove while you poach/reheat eggs. I would toast all your bread and cook the bacon beforehand and keep them warm in a low oven. Then make Hollandaise, then poach eggs. Or poach eggs beforehand and keep them in cold water and just reheat them gently before serving-it really depends how many you are doing and how confident you are in your egg poaching skills.

Yeah I’m only making 4 eggs.

What you say makes complete sense though as far as a process. I was worried about the sauce getting cold but just keeping it warm for a few minutes while I poach the eggs shouldn’t be hard.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there anything I can substitute lemon juice for in hollandaise sauce? I forgot to get one at the store and would much rather not expose myself to go out for one lemon right now.

I have white vinegar, hot sauce, a lime, rice vinegar, sherry cooking wine, and apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard.

The hollandaise would be for eggs Benedict.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 11, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

1/4 tsp sugar per 1 tsp of lemon juice. If you use lime, use 1/8 tsp. If vinegar, 1/4 tsp

I'd go with vinegar too

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

That’s the recipe I’m using. You’re saying only use sugar if you CAN’T use lemon juice, right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Right. I meant to say, if you sub lemon just know it has twice the sugar as lime and vinegar has 0.

They're different acids with different flavors too, but in hollandaise you should be fine!

Yeah it turned out fine and I didn’t notice the vinegar at all! However I did notice two things:

1) it was really thick, like too thick. I used 2 yolks instead of one like the comments suggested in the recipe.

2) it just tasted like butter mostly. Not horrible but not amazing.

On the second round I added some water to the sauce and it thinned out which was better, but it still just tastes like butter. When melting it I think I browned it a bit too, which is maybe adding to the taste?

I’m wondering if I should have upped the water and white vinegar to thin it out?

I think lemon juice would definitely help.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 11, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Squashy Nipples posted:

I usually turn up the sour a bit more then most recipes, and don't forget your salt and pepper.

Yeah I saw a lot of people in the comments saying they added more lemon than the recipe stated. I just don’t think the white vinegar brightened it up to what I was hoping for. I’ll get a lemon next time for sure.

I was using salted butter so I tried not to go too heavy on extra salt, but adding some more helped a bit. I think the two big things were the butter got a bit browned (the recipe said melt until foaming subsides but I think I took it too far) and no lemon juice.

I’m just glad I was successful at poaching the eggs!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Paperhouse posted:

I put some frozen chicken in cold water to thaw yesterday, then my plans changed and I went out for dinner. It was in the water for about 10 minutes and was still very much frozen, except for some outside parts which had begun to go soft. I put it straight back in the freezer. Safe to thaw and use today, or not?

Yes

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Penne with vodka sauce-will I notice any difference if I omit the vodka?

I’m cooking for my pregnant wife and two year old son and I’ve made this before and it’s been great. The last time I used the serious eats recipe I only had 3 tbsp of vodka (instead of the 6 they recommend) and it turned out great.

Will the vodka burn off during cooking or should I just keep it out? If I keep it out, is it going to gently caress it up much?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/chicken-and-penne-in-vodka-cream-sauce-recipe.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not an ob-gyn or pediatrician, but I would not hesitate to serve a vodka sauce to my pregnant wife or toddler (were I still to have such). There’s just really no evidence of risk with small amounts of alcohol like that, for either of them. Bon appetit!

Chemmy posted:

If you leave it out it won’t work.

If you leave it in it won’t fully burn off.

It’s unlikely that such a small amount of alcohol will have any negative effect on either your toddler or pregnant wife, I wouldn’t hesitate to serve it to my family in the same situation.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. I’d stick with 3 tbsp because that’s what I did last time and it came out fine. Then I was thinking 3 tbsp of vodka in a huge recipe with a pound of pasta...I don’t think anyone’s going to catch a buzz off that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trying to figure out what went wrong with my mashed potatoes today. I know what happened (they turned to glue) I just don’t know what caused it when I made it the same last week and it was fine.

For thanksgiving I made mashed potatoes using butter potatoes, and I mashed them using a food mill with the medium size die (I think that’s what it’s called). I heated butter and milk and seasoned with salt and pepper-no issues at all. Normally I use a ricer, but my river is too small for how many potatoes I made.

Today I did the same thing, but used white potatoes instead. I was in a bit more of a rush so I know I was turning the mill faster, but they basically turned to glue before being milled. I added a bit more milk than normal and it seemed to help a little, but the glue consistency was still there.

What went wrong? The only three things I can think of are
1) overcooked the potatoes? They were boiling a bit longer than necessary.
2) the type of potatoes? I dunno the difference between butter and white potatoes, but I don’t think I’ve ever used white potatoes before.
3) milled too fast?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno what you mean by a white potato but if it was a waxy variety it's gonna turn to glue super quick

Wegmans just calls it a white potato. It wasn’t waxy, pretty much more like a butter potato.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendations on an indoor basil plant protected from cats?

We use basil once a week when we make pizza and when it’s above 50 degrees we keep two plants outside. But now that it’s winter we can’t grow it outside. If we put it on our window, our cat will eat the plant. If we put it on a high ledge, it won’t get any sun.

I was thinking an aero garden but that seems really expensive for what I want, plus the cat would get it unless it’s on a high ledge.

Any ideas?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Clear large storage bin, set on a grate so air can circulate around it. If you don't have a grate, prop the edge up but weigh down the bin:

Ok so like a mini greenhouse then? It’d be safe to keep it on the patio if the temps get as low as 20?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wtf can I do with an eye of round roast? I think I did beef jerky with it once but I’m not looking to do that.

The only promising thing I’ve seen was a 24-hour SV cook at 131 degrees. Everything else looks like I’ll cook the poo poo out of the outside while keeping the middle rare.

Could I just cut it into steaks and SV those? Seems too lean for a steak though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I. M. Gei posted:

... okay I guess I’m crossposting this now, since the Equipment thread ain’t told me poo poo and if I don’t order something fast it won’t be here by Christmas

I bought a toshiba based off wire cutter and it’s been great for the last 6 months.

Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WCB1T6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there any decent way to reheat prime rib? Last nights dinner was amazing, but I couldn’t plow through another two pounds unless I wanted to die.

Sous vide to 130 maybe?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve been cooking shrimp with pasta sauce lately. It’s nothing fancy at all but my kid loves shrimp so we do it once every other week.

Normally I buy shrimp with the shell on, I thaw them in water, peel the shell off, pat dry with paper towels, and then quickly cook in a pan with olive oil. Once they’re just cooked on each side, I add pasta sauce to the pan and let it heat through, then I serve with some spaghetti. It always comes out fine and the shrimp aren’t over cooked.

Costco has a great deal on uncooked shrimp but they are already without the shell. No matter how little I cook them in the pan prior to adding the sauce, they ALWAYS come out over cooked and rubbery.

My process isn’t changing, it’s just that these are the first shrimp where they don’t come with the shell on.

Any reasons why these shrimp always come out over cooked? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

Are they approximately the same size as the previous shrimp you cooked?

They’re definitely not pre-cooked. These ones from Costco are a bit bigger-one size up, but you think that would allow more room for error with overcooking them. These ones are 31-40 per pound, the ones I normally get are 41-60.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I dunno, could be the quality of the shrimp? I’d improvise, really. If you feel more comfortable frying them in a pan I get that, but if you get outside your comfort zone and try other ways, you might get different results.

Or you could buy unpeeled shrimp and cook them with the shell on, remove the shell when done.

Yeah I sauté them usually with great results-I think it’s just this brand which is surprising because Costco usually seems pretty decent.

I’ve got another bag so I’m willing to try other methods.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

If you can snag a bag of red Argentine shrimp they are big and juicy, we get them from Sam’s but perhaps Costco has them too. Ours are usually deveined and peeled but I haven’t been able to overcook them.

Honestly I’d try getting unpeeled shrimp and cooking with the shell on

That’s the thing though-I’ve tried shrimp with the shells on in the grocery store. I just thaw them and take the shell of prior to sautéing and they come out completely fine. It must be the Costco shrimp-maybe it’s the quality of the shrimp or maybe it’s because they are already frozen without a shell and that makes them tougher or something.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

You’ll probably have more luck with shrimp from the grocery store, though even that isn’t really fresh. I’d say it’s probably the shrimp itself at this point, and another poster kinda corroborated your experience too.

How are you thawing them? Cold water? Or fridge?

I’ve always done cold water.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doom Rooster posted:

If you’ve got time after thawing, toss the shrimp with baking soda then let sit for 15 minutes before cooking. Ratio should be 1/2tsp soda per pound of shrimp.

Helps reduce rubberiness.

Interesting-thanks!!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I bought a 6.25 rib roast (bone in) and severely overestimated my needs for 3 adults and one toddler.

Now dinner will only be 2 adults and a toddler. It looks like it has 2 bones.

I’m guessing I should trim this to get 2 1 pound steaks out of it and do a 4 pound roast instead (which will still be huge for our needs).

Any other suggestions?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

6 pound rib roast tomorrow and now my sister in law has requested to eat dinner at 2 pm tomorrow instead of “whenever it’s done” because she has to go to her boyfriends for a second dinner.

Family drama notwithstanding, I’ll try to pacify and meet everyone’s needs.

I normally do Alton browns recipe here, where the oven is at 225 until internal temp is 118 degrees. Any idea when I should put the roast in to get that magic number?

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/dry-aged-standing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus/

I also have a sous vide machine and could stick it in around 5:30 am for 8 hours, finishing it under a hot oven to crisp it up but gently caress waking up that early to meet my sister in laws demand.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pookah posted:

I know it's not helpful but I absolutely hate your sister in law

:same:

The reasonable thing to do would be have dinner at one house and then go to the other house for dessert…like my wife and I did for a few years when we had two sides of the family to visit.

The part which will piss me off the most is if they don’t eat much because of the second dinner. Part of me just says gently caress it and if it’s done in time, great. If not, more for us!!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anne Whateley posted:

Reverse sear is so much better than sous vide for roasts.

I keep track whenever I do one so I have better grounds for estimating. At 250°, it took 3:25 for a 5-lb roast to get to 130° -- but obv a lot of your variables are different.

The most convenient part is that after it comes out but before it's seared, it can rest for a very very long time. You can safely aim it for an hour or 90 minutes before dinner and go from there.

e: also if anyone else hogged the outside pieces, I would straight-up murder them. Nothing beats that next-level Maillard.

Alright you’ve all convinced me. It’s her and her boyfriend of a whole 5 months coming over, which I guess is something for a 40-year-old who can’t hold a relationship to save her life.

I’m going to do 250 for 4.5-5 hours and see where it lands. If it’s done early then great, if not they can eat at the next house.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Skyarb posted:

I love prime rib. But it seems scary to do at home. Is it as hard or spooky as I am envisioning? Bearing in mind I am not a great cook as is.
edit: I also have no idea where to get it.

prime rib like a rib roast? It's stupid easy.

I've followed this video the past two years with great results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G2Ifc8SAbU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of freezing things…what about kale?

I make this pasta dish/stew with ground turkey, chicken broth, cannelini beans, Orichette pasta, and kale. The kale goes in the stew for about 20 minutes and then the pasta gets added and cooks for another 15 prior to finishing up with some lemon juice.

Anyways, it calls for 1-2 handfuls of chopped kale. I always buy it fresh, but it comes in these huge gently caress off bags that I can never use before it goes bad…and that’s all I use kale for. Kale chips are ok but I don’t have time to make them generally.

Would freezing bunches of chopped kale work? I don’t think I’ve seen frozen kale at the grocery store but I’ve also never looked for it near the spinach, etc.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

If I have extra kale I just chop it up and make kale chips

Bro do you even read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What do you normally use pesto with? Off a friends recommendation, I bought the Costco jar of pesto and their cheese tortellini. It was good, but very heavy.

I don’t use pesto and have only seen it in pasta salad before or on a pizza in place of red sauce.