Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Gabriel-Ernest posted:

Are there cuisines/particular dishes that use powdered dried ginger -- specifically powdered and dried, not fresh, pickled, etc. -- as a significant component in a savory way (i.e. not just in baked goods)?

I ask because I'm trying to find inspiration for what to do with some fresh pork sausage that's primarily seasoned with ginger powder, as well as onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. This combo is pretty unusual, so I'm having a little trouble fitting it into a whole meal. The overall spice blend makes it definitely more of a western-style sausage than an Asian one -- it's just got that ginger kick alongside.

On a whim, I had it with caramelized cabbage + paprika + lokshen (egg noodles); that worked well, but there are three links left and I'd like to try something else too.

Could you do something with prunes? I love prunes with ginger and there's no reason they can't be in a savory dish.

https://www.sunsweet.co.uk/blog/spicy-squash-soup-with-chorizo might be interesting if irritatingly twee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We got some of those no-longer trendy apple-cider vinegar and ginger cold pressed whatever whatever shots at work - our 'chef' has decided they're disgusting. In the interest of using all donated products and not wasting food, could I reasonably add an egg yolk, a little mustard, and hit it with an immersion blender while streaming in oil to make a creamy vinaigrette?

I feel like it would work except I have no control over the amount of water in the equation.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

poeticoddity posted:

Apple-cider vinegar and ginger sounds like a super low effort pork marinade.

I think the only pork we have at the moment is frozen chubs of pork-like slurry. It might improve it, it might dissolve it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Maybe confusing the odor of rancid oil as being "fishy"?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've been holding onto two cans of spam lite and some sushinori for when I want some musubi.

I check every time I shop for groceries and it's always an empty shelf.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

spankmeister posted:

What the heck is going on here ?

Honolulu WalMart apparently.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

McCracAttack posted:

I've never been able to store a 3-5 lbs sack of potatoes longer than a week without them sprouting. Aside from storing them in a dark cabinet, what else should I try to get them to last longer?

Dark, dry, and cool are the watchwords for potatoes. Don't put them in the fridge but if you have a basement that's pretty optimal, in a vessel where good air flow is possible.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

mystes posted:

This a total guess but maybe just mash up or blend some of the chickpeas?

That's what I'd do, yeah. I guess you could add some besan to the gravy if you want intact chickpeas.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My mom always gets "half chips" at the fish and chips place we go to sometimes, it doesn't actually cost any less but it's situated across the street from our local cathedral and I assume they have crazed anglicans making weird requests all the time so it might just be a form of communal madness.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have a frozen emergency ham that gets switched out every 3 months or so. It's a horrible cycle of "hmm, that ham's been in the freezer for a while" -> baked ham -> ham sandwiches -> ham and bean soup -> oh no I am out of ham -> new ham.

It's roughly the yin to the peameal bacon roast's yang, in terms of emergency freezer pork. They rotate at different times, though you get a lot more sandwiches out of a bacon roast, and it's not as good in soup.

Frozen spinach is very useful, but not the huge block that you got in the past, I like the little pucks of shredded that you can get from Arctic Gardens or whatever, not in the least because the bag of pucks is less likely to break your foot when it inevitably falls out of the freezer. There's a very good pantry pasta you can make with (pasta of choice but farfalle are best,) chickpeas, cherry or petite diced canned tomaoes, firm chorizo, some spinach pucks and feta. Lots of garlic, some red pepper flakes, it's very tasty.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you had sixty pounds of plums and weren't going to make plum butter or plum kuchen, what would you do with those plums? They're ripe and getting riper. There's also a good 20 pounds of (rather dry) nectarines and I have some pears that are about to turn. Assume basic pantry staples.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Bruceski posted:

I don't usually use horseradish sauce. If even that small amount's overwhelming is there a way to take the edge off or should I just write it off as out of my league? I'm not going to throw it out without experimenting on a few meals where it won't ruin the whole dish, but I figure I may as well ask.

Horseradish mashed potatoes go very well with roast beef or steak, and you can dilute the pungency to taste.

I found this link about using up a bottle of horseradish (it seems specifically tailored to your situation) - https://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/horseradish-recipes

The deviled eggs (omit the bacon) look good, as does the slaw.

Horseradish is used in some eastern European cream soups.

The stuff lasts forever really,

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think it's probably just powdered horseradish dried green, but I once had a small tin of powdered wasabi and it was great for adding to things like stirfries or whatever. Should look into getting more of that, I think it was an impusle buy in my grocer's "ethnic" section.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Make Cranachan, more desserts should involve whisky.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/cranachan-scottish-whipped-cream-with-whisky-raspberries-and-toasted-oats.html

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oral lactase tablets can be hit or miss with lactose intolerance and nobody really wants a kid with a lactose intolerance to have the running jumping screaming poops on a 50/50 chance of lactase naive person to eat Kraft Dinner.

Food intolerances (lactose/fructose etc.) have nothing to do with allergies, they are as the poster above said, a reaction where the gut microbiome cannot process (in this case) normally tolerable sugars, so there is a buildup of fermenting sugars in the gut causing bloating, distress, flatulence, diarrhea, etc.

Allergies (Type I IgE-mediated, anaphylaxis) are an immune response to ingested proteins the body considers to be foreign and would be unlikely though not impossible to suddenly turn up in a person previously able to tolerate that foodstuff.

In my mind, it's not about whether the mac and cheese is subjectively 'good,' it's going to be what looks familiar.

What I would do with the child is explore to find the vegan boxed mac and cheese that looks most like the previous favorite and fancy it up a little with cut lactose-free hot dogs, peas, ketchup :canada:, bacon, broccoli, etc. This may allay any notion of change of taste, though of course you want it to taste nice as well. Things like going from "cheezwhiz orange" to "natural cheddar white" and "tubes, basically" to "shells" might be as much of an issue as taste.

You could make a "fun" lockdown experiment out of it, get a couple of vegan brands and let the kid decide. It probably wouldn't be too hard to throw together a home made vegan mac and cheese, there's lots of decent vegan cheeses now and even nutritional yeast in a plant milk base or cashew cream would be nice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

McCracAttack posted:

Anything I can do to help it along or are these things kind of a scam?

Plants are, generally speaking, not a scam. Unless it's the famous Mozambique Scam Plant but nominative destiny already sorted that one for you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Might be worthwhile looking into "sheet pan dinner" recipes, they tend to be a little heavy on the "twee mommy blogger" side but if DH and Suzy and Duncan liked it, so might you!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pan-roasted-chicken-and-vegetables/ is a (random google result) example, it's just cooking the protein and vegetables together but someone's already worked out the necessary math so you're just cutting, mixing, and plopping it all on a cookie sheet and roasting. They add a bunch of spinach at the end and it's very customizable as regards to flavor/herbs/spices/acid/whatever.

You could do all of the veggie prep ahead, even a day ahead, and then do the mix/plop stages when you get home, make a pot of something easy like couscous or quinoa or rice while it's roasting, and you'd have dinner ready with very little active cooking time.

In fact the more I look at that recipe it's quite lacking in seasoning with the whole 3/4 of a teaspoon of pepper (divided) - I'm sure some Midwesterner concocted it, but that's a good base to start with, I think it's lacking in acid and would add some lemon juice, more spices than paprika and rosemary, or even go a whole other way and use jerk seasoning or curry on the chicken.

e: This is a better and yet still resolutely twee recipe with more vegetables, but still super easy.

https://www.wellplated.com/sheet-pan-chicken-rainbow-vegetables/ - you don't have to add the chicken if you don't want to, it'd do fine by itself as the chicken (breast) in this case isn't adding any fat or flavour, really.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 25, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We had a specialty grilled cheese place in town, they made it onto TV: https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/you-gotta-eat-here/photos/mlt-dwn/#!IMG_2683-MLT-DWN_SMore-e1424280334389

They went out of business shortly thereafter and it was replaced by a different specialty grilled cheese place which is there to this very day although I have not darkened their doorstep because the 241 Pizza next door is better value and I'd rather eat pizza than have a "macaroni and cheese and cheese grilled cheese" - I am not putting up with that level of nonsense.

Wonderbread, kraft singles, butter. Potato chips and a dill pickle on the side. Anything else is pretense.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It depends a lot on context. You'll get "chilly" powder too in a number of Indian recipes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eastern-Kashmiri-Chilly-Powder-Natural/dp/B07DL38HZQ

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Coconut milk and banana tapioca pudding. Tapioca's hard to find right now though.

https://www.hungryhuy.com/vietnamese-banana-coconut-tapioca-dessert-che-chuoi/

or you can make coconut sticky rice with mango (or whatever fruit)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Butterfly Valley posted:

Came here to post this. I was introduced to doing this by my girlfriend, no less, who is Turkish and initially looked at me like I'd punched her in the face the first time I introduced her to a jar of marmite. She then lived in Australia for a year and came back having learned some pro marmite strategies, including this.

Here is my pro marmite strategy. Hell, have two.

1.) All thumbs in the morning? Make a paste of room temperature butter and marmite in a ramekin the day before. You now have easily spreadable marmite paste with your preferred optimal butter/mite ratio.

2.) Buy some crescent dough pastry in the tube. Whack, unroll, and spread with ^. Add in a good aged cheddar, and a reasonable amount of whatever else you think you'd like - pickle, chutney, cured meat, parsley stems, etc. etc. Bake as usual on a lined tray.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think it'd be nicer in the saute but my goal with anchovies is always for them to essentially disappear and just flavor things - if you saute them with the veg in oil the oil should take on the flavor and perhaps be 'punchier' and if added during the simmer it'd just infuse the soup as a base/background flavor. It probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference either way.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Doom Rooster posted:

Try the gentlest thing first, which is just put it on the stove, fill it to the very edge with water, then bring it to a simmer and let it go for like 10 minutes. Empty it out in the sink and gently scrub with your normal scrubby sponge. 1-3 repetitions of this has gotten off everything I have ever had a problem with except for polymerized fasts on my stainless steel cookware.

I'd second this but add a little vinegar into it for some oomph.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Stupid Decisions posted:

Looking to keep the pasta simple so probably a fettuccine for the first go. Pesto is actually a great idea as I normally avoid due to allergy issues with a family member but they are away at the moment.

What are the allergy issues? You can probably work around them and have a pesto-like substance that tastes just fine, just don't let any Italians see you doing it or you'll break their hearts.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you're up-scaling recipes you want to be pretty careful with seasoning, even if they're ones you've made a million times as a single recipe, make sure you taste as you go. Salt especially can always be added, but the conversion from (serves 10) to (serves 50) is not going to be "add five times the salt."

e: People will need more napkins than you think. At least one person will want cutlery.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

enki42 posted:

[*] Two non-stick pans (I'd normally only use one, my wife bought me both as a gift. The smaller one is whatever, the larger one is: https://www.amazon.ca/PADERNO-Canad...ps%2C199&sr=8-3 which is absurdly non-stick and has held up tremendously well

Paderno makes good pots and pans but always shop around since they have a manufacturer's sale every year and you can get whatever for like 40% off if you're not fussy about colour.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

DildenAnders posted:

I have 1.4 lbs of ground beef, and an excess of onions and carrots. I'd like to make some meat sauce. How much carrot, onion, and tomato sauce should I add to that amount of ground beef?

If you happen to be blessed with onion abundance again, you could try rigatoni alla genovese which is simple as hell and takes forever to cook but if you like onions, hoo boy. It's delicious. Yes, 6 pounds of onions is rather a lot of onions as onions go, but you wind up with a caramelized onion paste sauce with fall apart tender beef, or you could save the beef for another dish if you wanted to be (apparently) authentic about it, but you shouldn't.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, that or the ghost of Paul Prudhomme did a a little Cajun miracle :ghost:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd probably have some kind of rice and steamed veg as a side, also with garlic butter.

Honestly the whole exercise is garlic and butter and lemon.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't have anything like that, it's just that I've ended up with a few packets of instant, and I never eat oatmeal or buy oats, so I'm thinking of ways to put them to use.

Apple crisp? Those instant ones work out ok in the usual topping, just shove them in there, bonus if they're already apple/cinnamon flavoured.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Skyarb posted:

Similarly I've been realizing a tiny bit of white pepper goes a long way. Its so weird that it smells like horse poo poo.

I find it gets a bit of a "foot" smell if you use too much but then mine is ancient and wasn't great to start with so :shrug:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I once had a very nice seitan pot-au-feu at a friend's place - would be a nice harvest meal with seasonal root veg etc.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sicilian style pickled green tomatoes are delicious, a bit of work but will keep them into the winter. Show the cold who's boss.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like the glass dishes with the snap on lids and silicone band, if for no other reason than I can put pasta in them and they don't turn that weird color that tomato sauce tends to stain plastic forever. They're certainly leak resistant, I'm trying to think back if I've ever had one seriously leak and it's clearly not enough of a problem to stick in my mind. I've broken one but it was after being knocked from counter height and was more of a "well I don't trust this anymore" situation.

I don't remember the brand but these ones I randomly googled are very similar in form, I'm sure you could get a better price. The actual bag itself is some neoprene thing I bought from Staples

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have an OXO Goodgrips microplane/"zester", I don't see how it could be any better at the thing it's meant to do, and it's comfortable. I'm pretty sure it was like $16, maybe ten years ago?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sherry is often listed as a substitute for Shaoxing rice wine, so I don't see why you couldn't do a switcheroo and use that instead

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like to think Sara would use Hellman's. Easy to get it 'corporated.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone have an opinion on using cubed lamb shoulder in a red sauce?

As other have said, small pieces and a long braise. I also particularly like anchovies with lamb, a few whole whole filets in this case. They’ll melt away into nothing but add a depth of flavour and some saltiness, it cuts the gamey flavour lamb can have. I’d probably add in a glass of white wine at some point.

E: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020022-quick-lamb-ragu seems like a good start though you’d have to adjust for pieces instead of ground lamb and the anchovies are in fact not optional. Marjoram is a good addition although I never think to use marjoram.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 15, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The mandoline wants blood. It's what feeds it. Wear protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That's probably enough fighting in the pasta wars of '23, thanks all.