Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Vintersorg posted:

lets get the price of oled DOWN DOWN DOWN

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

its interesting

that’s where you’re wrong kiddo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmao at echi posting freshman stoner philosophical revelations

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sure, i just find the purple case to be especially weird somehow. like, had our eyes evolved to only have two kinds of cones we'd only "see" actual spectral colors (as dogs do), determining the perceived frequency by the intensity ratio, having mixed light always being seen as the average of its wavelengths. but then we got a third cone for sensitivity, and we got the weirdo case where the red and blue cones are excited without the green, which no longer corresponds to a frequency so we just invent a new color for it. and that when we talk about birds with five kinds of cones seeing more color than us they really "see" a frequency decomposition of the light.

well, old hat for most people i presume, i had just never thought about it properly.

It's pretty insane that there is no such thing as magenta light.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SRQ posted:

apple is gonna try and present egpu as making mac good for gaming and try really hard to ignore

that all the gpus on offer are relatively low end
macos has no good game support and apple deprecating a whole bunch of things while not supporting vulcan isn't very nice
no nvidia support

apple will never care about pc gaming, they have a service you can pay 5 bucks a month for mobile games, that's their gaming solution

also apple is there to promote homekit

quote:

Apple’s HomeKit, a system for controlling devices in the home, will also be on display. Some companies will show off new gadgets for the home that work with Siri, Apple’s digital assistant.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can I get Siri in my shower head yet?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yes but its a homepod with a hose in the middle and the water artfully fills the shower but never seems to clean the user and prices start at a competitive $599.99

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

that’s where you’re wrong kiddo

aha

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the only thing this is missing is echi didnt make the thread

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh i had my brain broken a bit when i learned this year (how did i not know, or at least notice the impossible 2d'ness of color charts?) that purple does not have a wavelength but is our brains made-up representation of "a color midway between red and blue which is not green", and while a computer can also do that for us it drives home how fake our idea of colors are.

True, but violet is real (ie spectral)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

constantly recharging my shower head so amazon can spy on my farts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

what if we live in the matrix and i’m like neo. who’s laughing now buddy :smugmrgw:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

you're asking the wrong questions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

what if we live in the matrix and i’m like neo. who’s laughing now buddy :smugmrgw:

we don't, hth

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i use an ue boom 2 bluetooth speaker in the shower

tbh having one built in to the showerhead doesnt sound that stupid but it also doesnt really have any advantage over a portable better speaker like mine that you can also use for other things although i never do

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

delta's profile photo has horror movie lighting from below w/ spooky shadow eyebrows so i think they're going to announce something to do with blood

excellent

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

bad news, your girlfriend dies then so do you

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

poty posted:

tbh having one built in to the showerhead doesnt sound that stupid but it also doesnt really have any advantage over a portable better speaker like mine that you can also use for other things although i never do

the fact is that you just don't need the speaker literally in the shower. It makes no sense and it's why the shower radio isn't a thing (until 2020 apparently its all new again bay-BAY!!!).

You can have the speaker on the other side of the shower door and still hear it fine

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

m8

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

that’s fine. but having a voice assistant in the shower is idiotic.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

i once watched Saul kripke give a talk about Frege. one of the things he brought up was how kids independently come upon the idea of color solipsism. he repeated the phrase "even children have it" probably 20 times. I have a recording of this somewhere.

later I asked a professor why he didn't go to the talk. his answer was "you only have to go to the circus once."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

current electronics status

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Pollyanna posted:

current electronics status

its good

also

its bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

we don't, hth

well yeah of course, but what if we did

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

later I asked a professor why he didn't go to the talk. his answer was "you only have to go to the circus once."

this is probably the best academic slam ive seen in a while and im stealing it for personal use

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

well yeah of course, but what if we did

I don't care

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:supaburn:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:henget:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
so this year more 8k tvs are coming out. maybe theyll be more efficient than the current samsung 8ks whose processors burn like the sun. its similar to the 5g situation on phones.

since there wont ever be 8k video content theyre trying to sell it like being ready for the next generation of consoles which is pretty disingenuous. im sure the consoles will have hdmi 2.1 and output 8k but it would be a huge achievement if games even ran at 4k resolution

also i was looking at an 8k tv to use as a monitor sometimes and airplay streams at 1080p lol

abigserve posted:

the fact is that you just don't need the speaker literally in the shower. It makes no sense and it's why the shower radio isn't a thing (until 2020 apparently its all new again bay-BAY!!!).

You can have the speaker on the other side of the shower door and still hear it fine

sure you can have the speaker in a worse place but its better if you can have it in a better place

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

abigserve posted:

you could even *gasp* not listen to a speaker at all, for a few minutes of your life

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is this the year when consumer monitors go high dpi?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they arent already? i bought my mom a 27" 4k ips monitor for well under 300 in 2017

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1213098017697550337

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
honestly I expected Segway to have a mount for disabled people that held them upright at standing level, so they can, y’know, stand around with other people.

but I guess a Bond villain chair is good too

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

idk what the next big retail tech step will be. seems like folding or rolling screens at mass market prices? its been 10 years since anything actually important happened

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

toyota had a prototype of something like this over a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPPnSqt0zIM

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

when will amazon introduce the new alexa device that chemically castrates you if you accidentally say siri

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

haunted bong posted:

when will amazon introduce the new alexa device that chemically castrates you if you accidentally say siri

they already exist but so far are only available in bezos' private sex dungeon

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

honestly I expected Segway to have a mount for disabled people that held them upright at standing level, so they can, y’know, stand around with other people.

but I guess a Bond villain chair is good too

they did – the OG Segway was a commercialization of a self-balancing wheelchair.

They made them up until 2013 – they cost $30k to buy but medicare would kick in $5k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
in other Segway news, they're making an electric scooter to get around rules about things which have throttles

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/3/21047576/segway-ninebot-escooter-air-t15-t60-ces-2020