Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
How’s everyone enjoying those 4 dumb OPSEC CBTs as fallout from all the leaks within the Trump administration during the last 3 years and his stupid baby fee fee’s being hurt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Ragaman posted:

How’s everyone enjoying those 4 dumb OPSEC CBTs as fallout from all the leaks within the Trump administration during the last 3 years and his stupid baby fee fee’s being hurt?

"Hey, I found this CD on the floor, is it okay if I put it here?"

[sssccchhllloooonngg and warning triangle pops up]

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Ragaman posted:

None of them managed to load but I still got credit and a certificate at the end... so I thought it went well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dammit_Carl! posted:

"Hey, I found this CD on the floor, is it okay if I put it here?"

[sssccchhllloooonngg and warning triangle pops up]

Meanwhile, in the Security Engineer's office:

"God loving drat it"

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Meanwhile, in the Security Engineer's office:

"God loving drat it"

I tried so hard to answer every single question wrong on the old IA CBT, but I got distracted and accidentally got one right. Very disappointing.

Still got my annual credit for completing the training, but it also gave me a slide sternly reminding me to learn from the experience.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Belgian Waffle posted:

None of them managed to load but I still got credit and a certificate at the end... so I thought it went well.

Yeah, I read about that online, and gave it a try. Open the module, let it load, then close out the box. The green check mark will appear next to the link you just clicked. Repeat three more times and print your certificate or whatever you’re supposed to do with those things now.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

pkells posted:

Yeah, I read about that online, and gave it a try. Open the module, let it load, then close out the box. The green check mark will appear next to the link you just clicked. Repeat three more times and print your certificate or whatever you’re supposed to do with those things now.

I think they pulled it today. Is it back up?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Not yet. The other 3 you can just skip straight to the quiz though. And if you've done this poo poo before for classified networks you can get 75% pretty easily.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Yeah, it’s all stuff I’ve seen before, I’m just annoyed (but not surprised) that this kind of poo poo rolled down hill to waste hundreds of thousands of people’s time because of politics.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Do not miss the CBTs.

Meanwhile at work recently (within the past year): "Hey everyone! HR here. Please take these online computer training courses..."

:argh:

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.
Forced across-the-board diversity "training" is now a thing at the ol' office. I missed it since separating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hey folks I've got a couple separation questions:

1) Separation orders aren't issued until 60 days from the separation date or less, but DPS won't let me schedule a move without orders. Is there a way to get that waived with an approved separation date or do I truly have to wait until I have the orders in hand?

2) My separation date is 4 Dec. I was originally planning to start terminal leave on 5 Oct, but I got a referral for shoulder surgery and 30 days of convalescent leave starting 19 Sep. Are there any issues I should expect rolling my convalescent leave into my terminal leave? I expect I'll have to leave a gap in there to do unit outprocessing/final out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't remember how #1 worked when I got out...I wasn't moving immediately so it probably just didn't come up. #2 is pretty much unit-dependent. My squadron would've signed off on whatever, but others would make it a hassle for no reason.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Fallom posted:

Hey folks I've got a couple separation questions:

1) Separation orders aren't issued until 60 days from the separation date or less, but DPS won't let me schedule a move without orders. Is there a way to get that waived with an approved separation date or do I truly have to wait until I have the orders in hand?

2) My separation date is 4 Dec. I was originally planning to start terminal leave on 5 Oct, but I got a referral for shoulder surgery and 30 days of convalescent leave starting 19 Sep. Are there any issues I should expect rolling my convalescent leave into my terminal leave? I expect I'll have to leave a gap in there to do unit outprocessing/final out.

Call TFSC for your sep orders but expect a wait. They're all processed down that way (your local MPF can't really help other than calling TFSC on your behalf) and with the COVID teleworking plus the budget getting rawdogged by the stop movement they're approving them REAL slow. Same for assignments, I've got about 100 orders that have been sitting down there for a month while everyone calls me complaining.

Best bet for your leave is to sell the extra days, take the con leave, then come back and final out. I'd have to do some digging about rolling con leave into terminal, It's not something I've seen personally but that doesn't mean it's not a thing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

“Sell extra days”

Holy barf do not do this. Take the days.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Selling leave back only gets you base pay. Technically it's 1/30 of your monthly base pay for each day. No allowances or additional pays (flight, whatever). So for a day-for-day basis, selling it back is worth less than using it, if you're going to do something while on leave. If you're going to sit around the house and be bored, sell it back and pocket the extra money. Or if you have more than you can use (that was my situation). You can sell back a max of 60, limited by statute and there's no waiver or anything to sell back more than that.

I sold 60, used a few weeks, lost almost a month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m going to use as much as I can. I’ll be moving across the country and starting a new job so I need all the time I can get.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm not sure if it works for separation, but there's a way to get your stuff packed and shipped via DPS without orders. A Letter in Lieu of Orders. I've seen it done for normal PCS moves when airmen are pushing up on their RNLD without orders.

The member gets their CC to sign off on an MFR indicating that they've been selected to PCS (hopefully applicable to separation as well) and uploads that MFR to DPS instead of entering an order number.

The big thing to be careful of is that, if an airman uses a Letter in Lieu of Orders and then the PCS is subsequently cancelled, the member will be financially responsible for the cost of shipment if the HHG have already been sent out the door.

In your case, it's not like your separation can really be cancelled, so that might be a viable option for you.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
AFPC quietly killed In Lieu Of letters last year. The only approving office is their Policy office and they straight up told me they won't ever approve them. Too many people got left holding the bag and it got too many Congressionals, I guess. Now if it's a legit hardship or someone can't meet reqs for the order, AFPC just waives the requirements rather than the LiLo.

Works for me, I'd have folks asking for one 8 months out from departing.

Edit: this is different than the Memorandum In Lieu of Amendments that they're letting base level use for COVID. That was AFPC straight up admitting there was no way to authenticate all the amendments after stop movement and just giving a blanket memo so folks can get their vouchers done.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 2, 2020

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
So 2 years at Tinker, another 2 deployments down and we got notified that we'll be deploying again in less than a year. I requested to be left on the VML (desperately hoping to go back overseas), but sure enough I got reclama'd and AFPC approved because they need bodies to come deploy and do nothing. So basically I'm hitting the separate button instead. At least I'll have a master's from a good school and money in the bank. I just have to figure out what I want to do in life. Ideally get a contractor job overseas but who knows. I've been checking out the veteran's thread, but if anyone has any useful knowledge on separations. I know I have to go to medical and get everything documented and all that. I think my plan right now is to pick up a reserves gig and apply for the DOD Skillbridge program.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tinker.txt

FYI the "separation physical" isn't a physical. The flight doc will ask you to list all the things you've made appointments for in your career. He may or may not write anything down. This is your one and only chance to list every loving bump and bruise you've gotten, because unless that clinic has improved over the years, they don't document a loving thing.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
loving hell I'm straight up not having a good time being a contractor anymore. We're at the biggest PMEL lab in the air force and they really don't want to hire anyone. Our main torque person is totally burned out since she's had to do 5000 torque wrenches a year, that's more than the output of the entire workload of several bases. If I help in torque then my section gets overwhelmed, but it's okay because we hired some guy two years to replace a different guy who had quit. Except apparently the new guy is so incompetent that he's been decertified on everything so he can't calibrate anything anymore. It's been two loving years, if he hasn't gotten the hang of the job yet then he's never going to get it. So now he's coming to work getting paid the same as us to do fuckall. loving unreal. And tomorrow it's time to do TTU205 test sets since I got trained on them because our other airflow guy quit last year and they didn't want to replace him either. There's only 7 of them, loving yay.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't handed out wholesale demotions to a bunch of people 2.5 years ago. I took a 20% paycut to get endlessly poo poo on. And me and another guy had plans to get out of here but there's just no good opportunities, or in my case my girlfriend has some custody issues that are preventing us from leaving the state. Then our manager's boss starts telling people that the two of us are unreliable since we're looking for another job. I don't think leadership could be more toxic if they tried.

My only out is that I might have an in for an IT position at the tiny army post kinda out in the middle of nowhere. Seems like a better deal than this poo poo

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Have you tried drinking about it? That tends to help me deal with the idiocy.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It certainly dulls the pain

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Reviving this dumb thread to bitch about having physically moved from an Intel support squadron to a numbered air force staff position in June, but AFPC cant be assed to push the button that'll make it official still. So loving stupid, and now the rear end clowns at my old unit who still haven't signed my pcs medal, or my humanitarian medal for feeding our covid people, will be in charge of my epr. Maybe I'll get to sign it in May again (Totally a TSgt still).

2 more years man. 2 more years.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Hotel Kpro posted:

I don't think leadership could be more toxic if they tried.

Behind every toxic leader is a group of spineless workers that will stay behind and eat poo poo no matter how badly they're treated.

Sounds to me like the incompetent guy is the smartest one in the whole group.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

nullscan posted:

Reviving this dumb thread to bitch about having physically moved from an Intel support squadron to a numbered air force staff position in June, but AFPC cant be assed to push the button that'll make it official still. So loving stupid, and now the rear end clowns at my old unit who still haven't signed my pcs medal, or my humanitarian medal for feeding our covid people, will be in charge of my epr. Maybe I'll get to sign it in May again (Totally a TSgt still).

Hey dude, remember me?

Remember how I PCS'd out of the Intel Support Squadron fully 20 months ago?

Guess who just got his PCS medal two weeks ago?

Edit: I loved Korea, but man, that unit did its level best to make Korea a terrible place to be. Always cracked me up when people would stand up at the last commander's call before they left and talk about how much it felt like family. Only way it would ever feel like family is if my irl family was a bunch of wretched adulterous alcoholic cradle robbing failures.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 6, 2020

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeah, the place really went down hill from when I first showed up. When they tried to take me out of plans and into the IMOC I went job hunting and landed a pretty sweet gig in A6. But I feel bad for everyone who stayed behind.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

nullscan posted:

Bug your MPF, they can push a message to AFPC and request they load the intercommand PCA. Ran into the same thing here with First Sergeants going between a wing and a DRU, eventually I just had to email their FAM direct and be like "dude their EPRs are about to close out with the wrong units can you just load it" and they got it the next day. Takes the unit out of the equation because it sounds like they're not going to bother because they don't give a poo poo (and/or want to keep an extra body on their MEL for another promotion recommendation for someone's anointed child).

Edit: your new unit can backdate the gain to get you on their MEL also. If they can push the button quickly enough you should have enough time. Bonus if it strips one MP/PN from your old unit because that's just funny.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 6, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rekinom posted:

Behind every toxic leader is a group of spineless workers that will stay behind and eat poo poo no matter how badly they're treated.

https://twitter.com/sadxgorlx/status/1313481098152882178?s=20

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Career Question: how worth it is the Officer Pension?

I ask because right now im a 2d LT in the ANG with about 4 years of PCARS time but 11 years total in November and I feel im at a crossroads.

Right now im in a job training pipeline that will pay me 6 figures (provide it I complete it in a year) as a Software Engineer.

But as a cyber officer in the ANG, we have constant opportunities to take GS-13 or AGR positions. Yes Id have to do about 16 years to retire but most AGR Cyber O slots are capped at O-4 so i could nearly sit the rest of my time in a single slot.

I feel like I have some time to make a decision (before I pin on Captain and I pin on 1st Lt next month), but I just want you alls input.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I was just playing around with a retirement calculator at drill this month, and for me, my first year of retirement payments at 60 would get me around $4k/month if I retired at 20 as a Major. I’m at 11.5 years in, ~2200 points, and just pinned on Capt this spring. Retiring at 30 as a Lt Col is about $6k/month.

I forget where the site was, but I googled “guard retirement calculator” and followed a link to an official .mil site. You fill in all of your info, including projected ranks, estimated deployment dates, etc, and it spits out a graph of year by year retirement benefits.

I’m definitely planning on finishing the 20 years at a minimum as a traditional guardsman because that retirement is worth it to me, and being a guard CE officer is kind of fun.

Edit: I found the site. I used the High 3 calculator, because gently caress the BRS as a traditional guard guy

DFAS Retirement Calculator

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Knives Amilli posted:

I ask because right now im a 2d LT in the ANG with about 4 years of PCARS time but 11 years total in November and I feel im at a crossroads.

Right now im in a job training pipeline that will pay me 6 figures (provide it I complete it in a year) as a Software Engineer.

But as a cyber officer in the ANG, we have constant opportunities to take GS-13 or AGR positions. Yes Id have to do about 16 years to retire but most AGR Cyber O slots are capped at O-4 so i could nearly sit the rest of my time in a single slot.

I feel like I have some time to make a decision (before I pin on Captain and I pin on 1st Lt next month), but I just want you alls input.

Not really sure about the ANG, but I'm active duty with 10.5 years in and switching to the reserves soon as a Major. Can you finish your training pipeline and still take an AGR job later? You shouldn't be closing any doors I think. Because at the end of 20 years of full time, you'll still have to get out at a relatively young age and find a new career (probably). Although ANG culture probably beats the hell out of anything AD can offer, I think something that can give you longer term stability is way better. I guess it really depends what you want out of life. Keep living off the government, which is admittedly pretty easy sometimes? or just use the government opportunities to get a leg up on the private sector?

Unless you want to take your retirement pay and retire as an expat somewhere super cheap I guess.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Knives Amilli posted:

Honestly just pick whatever job is more interesting and whatever culture is more tolerable. Youll have enough money in retirement to live comfortably with either choice.

Personally if I were this far in Id explore the AGR route until Id hit my 20 years total then reevaluate. You could collect at 60 and jump into private sector consulting gigs without worrying about the future much.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Rekinom posted:

We have many people that have been there for 15+ years so you're right about that. They bitch and whine but they aren't going anywhere.

It's tempting to do fuckall but man that ain't me. I just can't be a waste of space

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What does the “AF Form 2587, Security Termination Form” do? I already have my contractor job lined up and my clearance crossed over, so I assume this is just terminating my ability to access stuff on the military side but the anxious part of my brain is worried about messing something up.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yes, that's exactly it. I was a security manager for years and I processed probably a hundred of those. You were previously read in to a certain level of access, and now that access is revoked. It doesn't affect your clearance, just indicates that you have been briefed that you are no longer authorized to access (or talk about) whatever classified materiel you were previously exposed to. Standard for PCS or separation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Yes, that's exactly it. I was a security manager for years and I processed probably a hundred of those. You were previously read in to a certain level of access, and now that access is revoked. It doesn't affect your clearance, just indicates that you have been briefed that you are no longer authorized to access (or talk about) whatever classified materiel you were previously exposed to. Standard for PCS or separation.

I think my confusion with that explanation is that I'll be working with the same materiel in my new job. Sounds like I'll just need to be re-briefed to the compartments I need, though, which the company will hopefully do during onboarding.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, you will be read out and read back in. It's dumb as hell, but it's to keep the paperwork in line.

What's extra dumb is guys who are guard/reserve and contractors. They have different clearances for each employer, and may or may not have the same read-ins. So depending on who is signing your paycheck for that particular day, you may or may not have access to things/places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
It's also a factor of your company's contract and the associated DD254 which describes what level of classification the work will be under. Your contract comes with a certain number of SCI billets and you'll be assigned to one, and the classification of the work you do must be specified (and justified) on the DD254. If the DD254 is 2-pack you can't get a 4-pack read-in, for instance.