Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Long story short, you need three things for access to classified:

1. Appropriate background check
2. Signed nondisclosure agreement
3. A need to know

The Security Termination Statement is literally just you signing a piece of paper saying "I'm out, I no longer have a need to know for classified at this place". The background check is the big piece that's a pain in the rear end, but as long as that's still current you're golden. You just get read back in at your next job and boom, you have a need to know their stuff.

Where folks get confused is their security clearance versus their eligibility for a security clearance. Technically every time you PCS, your clearance is revoked when you leave and granted at your next unit, because of rule 3 up there. You remain eligible the entire time, however. That's how I used to piss of commanders when I was a security manager because they'd PCS in with a TS and I'd tell them they only get a Secret, because we didn't have any positions with a need for a TS. They remained eligible for one, but without a job requiring it enjoy your regular ol' Secret.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I appreciate the advice, guys. I’m a little paranoid over this stuff because I have a security manager who threatened to cancel my clearance renewal last year because he heard I might be getting out so now I just assume everyone’s out to get me.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 9, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sadly that's the attitude you SHOULD have.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

Sadly that's the attitude you SHOULD have.

Exactly.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Fallom posted:

now I just assume everyone’s out to get me.

I mean they probably still are

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Tinker.txt

FYI the "separation physical" isn't a physical. The flight doc will ask you to list all the things you've made appointments for in your career. He may or may not write anything down. This is your one and only chance to list every loving bump and bruise you've gotten, because unless that clinic has improved over the years, they don't document a loving thing.

im probably very late with this but I would like to emphasize this because the epic final physical i got as an enlisted ground guy, they just skipped the hearing test even though i specifically mentioned I've noticed hearing loss lol. i was too happy to be getting out at the time but 5 years later its uh, noticeable. too much time at the smoke pit 500 feet from engine runs, I guess.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My hearing is hosed thanks to too much time around the Army and them loving to fire weapons without giving out earpro. It's not complete hearing loss, but if there's any background noise (a running sink, motor noise, low music, etc) I can hear folks speak but can't pick out the actual words. I compare it to the adults talking in Peanuts, I can hear a voice and know it's speech but all I get is whomp whompwhomp whomp. Of course the last hearing test I got downtown swore up and down that my hearing was perfect, so that's another one I'll have to fight.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wild T posted:

My hearing is hosed thanks to too much time around the Army and them loving to fire weapons without giving out earpro. It's not complete hearing loss, but if there's any background noise (a running sink, motor noise, low music, etc) I can hear folks speak but can't pick out the actual words. I compare it to the adults talking in Peanuts, I can hear a voice and know it's speech but all I get is whomp whompwhomp whomp. Of course the last hearing test I got downtown swore up and down that my hearing was perfect, so that's another one I'll have to fight.

its pretty much exactly what I have, yeah. i just tell people I have tinnitus even though it's technically not correct because explaining that everything feels like its the same volume makes me sound crazy

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
the only way to get hearing approved is to bomb the VA test. I tried submitting outside medical reports showing loss and the VA just ignored them on my disability claim.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's something hosed about going to an ENT/Audiologist and telling them you think you have tinnitus (mine is left side only, no I don't have a tumor), and since they love people who self-diagnose, you get flack from them until you undergo three hearing tests over the course of 18 months that show nearly identical results every time and you're finally rewarded with "huh, looks like you *do* have some form of hearing loss!" :v:

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Wild T posted:

FWIW, at the audio test I got for the disability claim, the doctor / PA doing it told me that there were different varieties of tinnitus. I've got the constant ringing / high pitched "eee," type but she said there was one variety which seems like what you describe.

Good luck on a claim if that is what you are going for - despite bringing receipts from hearing tests starting from Basic up until my last pre-deployment check-up, I'm still zip with regards to getting any hearing loss acknowledged as an issue per the Man. At least it's on record for any future claims.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Wild T posted:

Yuuuup that’s the same issue I have, and the Air Force doctors said the exact same thing “you’re hearing is fine!” Ok thanks rear end in a top hat!

I had to google diagnose myself and when I reported all of my disability claims to the VA, listed Auditory Processing Disorder. Since I just started terminal leave last month and am in the Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Program, the VA scheduled a hearing exam for me and the doc actually tested specifically for it instead of blowing me off like the military doc did, so that’s great, but who knows what will come of it until I get my rating/results back.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ragaman posted:

Yuuuup that’s the same issue I have, and the Air Force doctors said the exact same thing “you’re hearing is fine!” Ok thanks rear end in a top hat!

I had to google diagnose myself and when I reported all of my disability claims to the VA, listed Auditory Processing Disorder. Since I just started terminal leave last month and am in the Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Program, the VA scheduled a hearing exam for me and the doc actually tested specifically for it instead of blowing me off like the military doc did, so that’s great, but who knows what will come of it until I get my rating/results back.

High five, terminal buddy

I’m in the BDD too but I didn’t get to have complete exams for everything because I had shoulder surgery right before leaving. I’m hoping they’ll still give me a rating and I can go back and get the shoulder exams later.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Fallom posted:

High five, terminal buddy

I’m in the BDD too but I didn’t get to have complete exams for everything because I had shoulder surgery right before leaving. I’m hoping they’ll still give me a rating and I can go back and get the shoulder exams later.

High five! We made it! Yeah hopefully they let you get the shoulder exams later since you recently had surgery.

So far my experience with the VA has been ok? I guess it varies from location to location (I retired out of Korea and am doing most of my terminal leave overseas before I go back to Florida). I also believe that you can get your rating reviewed/appealed, so there’s some options if it seems inaccurate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1324030307088171008?s=20

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mgordonwsj/status/1330590217133289474

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh no, the USAF might need new planes, don't do that....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The services get to make that decision, so I suspect the AF will just drag its feet. Those jets will go to the boneyard at the worst, and it can take weeks before the first step towards long-term storage is taken. This is easy to shake, if the incoming administration wants to reverse it.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

I'm currently in training to work with Open Skies people (they work a couple of different arms control treaties). They aren't particularly worried about this, as far as I can tell, so make of that what you will.

In other news, here's my USAF story:

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Good news for fat boys like me. What’s the downside?

https://twitter.com/gencqbrownjr/status/1335993665211297796?s=21

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The guy who managed the last major round of force shaping (which was kind of a shitshow) is now in charge of that whole organization. Combining that with high retention due to covid-based economic concerns and the impending elimination/reduction of retention bonuses in many career fields, I predict that we'll see a bunch of folks getting the boot within a year and as usual, PT scores will be a major deciding factor on who stays and who goes.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

The guy who managed the last major round of force shaping (which was kind of a shitshow) is now in charge of that whole organization. Combining that with high retention due to covid-based economic concerns and the impending elimination/reduction of retention bonuses in many career fields, I predict that we'll see a bunch of folks getting the boot within a year and as usual, PT scores will be a major deciding factor on who stays and who goes.

At least this time all the guys who claim they only failed because they busted the waist measurement, but could totally kick rear end on the other components will have to put up or shut up

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

pkells posted:

At least this time all the guys who claim they only failed because they busted the waist measurement, but could totally kick rear end on the other components will have to put up or shut up

"I'm in a bulk phase bro, give me a few weeks to get shredded"

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

C'mooooon TERA. I was a year under eligibility last time, 2 short of retirement at present. Barring me loving up and making Master somehow by attrition, I would totally just retire and roll into a GG job here in Korea the next day if given the chance.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Retention will go down the shitter again once Corona is dealt with. The AF is incapable of seeing things long term.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

If they really wanted to get a head start they'd keep the waist measurement for April but I guess even they can see that plan might be a little too aggressive.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Just make facemasks no longer authorized in uniform and the problem will just work itself out naturally. I'll take my three stars, please.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

Retention will go down the shitter again once Corona is dealt with. The AF is incapable of seeing things long term.

For so many reasons, it's this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's official. The Advanced Instructor Weapons Director Course is now a full-up weapons instructor course. Effective today, graduates get the Weapons School shield. AIWDC was the WS's first enlisted course, and is the second to transition from an advanced instructor course to a WIC, behind only the JTAC course. This was a long time coming, and several years of active work to get through all the hoops.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Just got notified today, unit CC decided against minimum manning for holidays because of COVID somehow.
:feelsgood:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Uh. That's interesting.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

At minimum manning, the Airmen might be tempted to make their own decisions. They might even go outside and mingle merrily with other people.

Only by keeping everyone at work, all the time, can the commander protect the troops.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
We're all working from home so that's not really an issue... but people can still take leave (and were encouraged to) and they can still travel up to 8 hours away to stay "local" through the 4-day weekend which includes out of state travel.
It's nonsense. I meant to say that I support our command team's decision.

Belgian Waffle fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 17, 2020

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

It's official. The Advanced Instructor Weapons Director Course is now a full-up weapons instructor course. Effective today, graduates get the Weapons School shield. AIWDC was the WS's first enlisted course, and is the second to transition from an advanced instructor course to a WIC, behind only the JTAC course. This was a long time coming, and several years of active work to get through all the hoops.

That's awesome, those guys deserve it. Surprised they didn't do it sooner with how few 13Bs they seem to attract these days.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

That's awesome, those guys deserve it. Surprised they didn't do it sooner with how few 13Bs they seem to attract these days.

It's not lack of 13B applicants, there's a cap. That said, I think we have four 1C5s in the upcoming class, which is twice as many as I've seen before; for years they've always had fewer applicants than desired.

On the 13B side, manpower has actually been plussed up for the last 4 or 5 years to make up for several years of low attendance due to budget problems. The number of students is tied to the number of instructors, and they're letting the PCS cycle attrit that down to normal now. Of the four career fields, I think ABMs are the only ones who hit their desired numbers consistently (at the start of the class, at least).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 18, 2020

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Belgian Waffle posted:

We're all working from home so that's not really an issue... but people can still take leave (and were encouraged to) and they can still travel up to 8 hours away to stay "local" through the 4-day weekend which includes out of state travel.

I have been out of the normal air force assignment system for about 9 years now, but I'm returning (going to Scott) in about a month and I fully expect this dumb poo poo to be the norm. I'm going to miss non-dumb decisions. At least now I'm a SNCO, so I can really be forced to support those dumb decisions. :stonklol:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

whatspeakyou posted:

I have been out of the normal air force assignment system for about 9 years now, but I'm returning (going to Scott) in about a month and I fully expect this dumb poo poo to be the norm. I'm going to miss non-dumb decisions. At least now I'm a SNCO, so I can really be forced to support those dumb decisions. :stonklol:

TRANSCOM, AMC, or working for the 375th?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hey a new Scott goon! I work in the MDG in the bene clinic.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Belgian Waffle posted:

Doesn't this mean you can basically gently caress around at home without taking leave anyway? I mean I'm "working" today but that's with 2 hours of PT, watching TV, and occasionally working on a decoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

Doesn't this mean you can basically gently caress around at home without taking leave anyway? I mean I'm "working" today but that's with 2 hours of PT, watching TV, and occasionally working on a decoration.

There's a lot of factors that makes this really difficult to answer concisely. I think... it's generally understood between the military that we're not expected to be all that productive through the holidays. But the shop is mainly made up of civilians and contractors... so, even with that understanding, when you're on-shift, that means participating in or otherwise observing various daily meetings which will eat up a significant chunk of your mornings because we can't not do those. During those meetings you're expected to be able to talk about what you worked on yesterday and it's trivially easy to tell if someone's been loving around instead of working.

I don't think anyone would press the issue if an airmen repeatedly brings up how their dog keeps eating their work... but it could happen if anyone decides to be a dick about it because we're still officially on duty.

Yeah, it seems silly to be complaining about this now that we're over halfway through the break... but my troops are asking about why unit leadership suddenly changed their minds about this the week prior to the holidays and the provided reasons behind the decision are so flimsy that I can't give them a good answer nor can I assure them that this won't happen again in the future.

Silver lining: the next climate assessment should be fun.