Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So all of the officers above me just deployed, leaving me as the ranking officer until everyone gets back this summer. How did my first drill “in command” start off today? Sitting an airman down and informing them they are being discharged for pissing hot for weed.

This same airman also got in trouble earlier for posting a video of him dancing to baby shark while on SF augmentee duty at the main gate with his M9 unholstered.

This will be a fun year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

I hope you guys ran the paperwork through JAG to get their blessing before springing that on him.

Oh yeah, my CC did all of the work over the last month or two, and I was just the one to sit him down and make it official.

I guess I tempted fate by sarcastically saying this will be a fun year, because only a few hours after that post, I got a call with even more bad news. A guy in my unit who was surprised by a stage 4 cancer diagnosis earlier in the year but had been in a stable condition took a sudden turn for the worse. He's in his 30's with a wife and kids, and was just placed in hospice care.

gently caress cancer, and remember to get your regular checkups at your doctor's office.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
For whatever reason when I commissioned 4 years ago, my email address was never added to the FW_All email alias at my guard base. I have yet to miss an important email because of it.

It’s also fun watching the other officer in my office spend 20 minutes deleting emails on Saturday morning of drill.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been trying to cross over to the air guard from Navy active duty and so far it’s... surprisingly competitive.

Do you guys track Manning for different Officer communities on any publicly available system? Any non-STEM degree mandatory communities that usually need people? Intel apparently only wants people who have worked in that community already too so they weren’t hot on that, even though my educational background fits it well.

I’ve been told that without a CS degree or legit industry experience that cyber is off the table, even with stuff like A+/Network+ etc. Is that true? Or is there anything I can realistically get without a ton of time while I’m still stuck Navy active?

Generally, open ANG Officer positions are posted on the individual wing’s websites. I know some states are moving away from that though. But for the most part, it comes down to calling each state/wing’s recruiter and asking. Or knowing someone at a base that knows what’s up. I knew a major at my base who just retired that would give me the inside scoop on officer positions for a buddy of mine that was trying to commission. It’s kind of a crap-shoot.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Belgian Waffle posted:

None of them managed to load but I still got credit and a certificate at the end... so I thought it went well.

Yeah, I read about that online, and gave it a try. Open the module, let it load, then close out the box. The green check mark will appear next to the link you just clicked. Repeat three more times and print your certificate or whatever you’re supposed to do with those things now.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I was just playing around with a retirement calculator at drill this month, and for me, my first year of retirement payments at 60 would get me around $4k/month if I retired at 20 as a Major. I’m at 11.5 years in, ~2200 points, and just pinned on Capt this spring. Retiring at 30 as a Lt Col is about $6k/month.

I forget where the site was, but I googled “guard retirement calculator” and followed a link to an official .mil site. You fill in all of your info, including projected ranks, estimated deployment dates, etc, and it spits out a graph of year by year retirement benefits.

I’m definitely planning on finishing the 20 years at a minimum as a traditional guardsman because that retirement is worth it to me, and being a guard CE officer is kind of fun.

Edit: I found the site. I used the High 3 calculator, because gently caress the BRS as a traditional guard guy

DFAS Retirement Calculator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

The guy who managed the last major round of force shaping (which was kind of a shitshow) is now in charge of that whole organization. Combining that with high retention due to covid-based economic concerns and the impending elimination/reduction of retention bonuses in many career fields, I predict that we'll see a bunch of folks getting the boot within a year and as usual, PT scores will be a major deciding factor on who stays and who goes.

At least this time all the guys who claim they only failed because they busted the waist measurement, but could totally kick rear end on the other components will have to put up or shut up