Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Fallom posted:

How does setting a separation date work? The AFI isn't particularly helpful. From what I gather, there's a 6-month minimum window between your application and your earliest separation date, which the USAF can overrule if desired. What's the maximum date I can set it to? Does using the 7-day option affect what dates you can pick?

I'd like to time things so that I can finish my degree this year but I'll be on the VML in a couple weeks. I either pull the trigger then or use the 7-day option.

6 months is the maximum time out you can set a separation. 7 day opt just means you have to set a separation day within 7 days, but it can be up to 6 months out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Meanwhile my commander is debating letting me take my leave to Japan because of coronavirus fears. I've been planning it for like 4 months.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Arc Light posted:

Welsh was heartbreaking. I was in USAFE during his time as the commander, and he was legit rock solid. I still don't know what the hell happened when he switched into CSAF mode and became a company man.

It's not like Goldfein was much better. He came out swinging and just fizzled out the last few years. We are even getting back plenty of all those supposed reduced additional duties.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Watch the AF change the retention bonus so it's all or nothing on the 9 year option. Right now there's a scale.

Yeah. Giving the AF some breathing room on the aircrew crisis is probably the worst thing that could happen to the Air Force. Now they'll do even less than their doing for retention, and it'll blow up in their faces.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Shouldn't be too hard, unless Slip comes back.

I'm currently the idiot O-4. I joined SA when I was a dumb college kid/afrotc cadet, though I'm more of a lurker. Currently trying to decide if I want to go reserve or ANG in the next couple months. Also wondering what I'm gonna do with my life.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
So 2 years at Tinker, another 2 deployments down and we got notified that we'll be deploying again in less than a year. I requested to be left on the VML (desperately hoping to go back overseas), but sure enough I got reclama'd and AFPC approved because they need bodies to come deploy and do nothing. So basically I'm hitting the separate button instead. At least I'll have a master's from a good school and money in the bank. I just have to figure out what I want to do in life. Ideally get a contractor job overseas but who knows. I've been checking out the veteran's thread, but if anyone has any useful knowledge on separations. I know I have to go to medical and get everything documented and all that. I think my plan right now is to pick up a reserves gig and apply for the DOD Skillbridge program.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Knives Amilli posted:

Career Question: how worth it is the Officer Pension?

I ask because right now im a 2d LT in the ANG with about 4 years of PCARS time but 11 years total in November and I feel im at a crossroads.

Right now im in a job training pipeline that will pay me 6 figures (provide it I complete it in a year) as a Software Engineer.

But as a cyber officer in the ANG, we have constant opportunities to take GS-13 or AGR positions. Yes Id have to do about 16 years to retire but most AGR Cyber O slots are capped at O-4 so i could nearly sit the rest of my time in a single slot.

I feel like I have some time to make a decision (before I pin on Captain and I pin on 1st Lt next month), but I just want you alls input.

Not really sure about the ANG, but I'm active duty with 10.5 years in and switching to the reserves soon as a Major. Can you finish your training pipeline and still take an AGR job later? You shouldn't be closing any doors I think. Because at the end of 20 years of full time, you'll still have to get out at a relatively young age and find a new career (probably). Although ANG culture probably beats the hell out of anything AD can offer, I think something that can give you longer term stability is way better. I guess it really depends what you want out of life. Keep living off the government, which is admittedly pretty easy sometimes? or just use the government opportunities to get a leg up on the private sector?

Unless you want to take your retirement pay and retire as an expat somewhere super cheap I guess.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

The guy who managed the last major round of force shaping (which was kind of a shitshow) is now in charge of that whole organization. Combining that with high retention due to covid-based economic concerns and the impending elimination/reduction of retention bonuses in many career fields, I predict that we'll see a bunch of folks getting the boot within a year and as usual, PT scores will be a major deciding factor on who stays and who goes.

Retention will go down the shitter again once Corona is dealt with. The AF is incapable of seeing things long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

It's official. The Advanced Instructor Weapons Director Course is now a full-up weapons instructor course. Effective today, graduates get the Weapons School shield. AIWDC was the WS's first enlisted course, and is the second to transition from an advanced instructor course to a WIC, behind only the JTAC course. This was a long time coming, and several years of active work to get through all the hoops.

That's awesome, those guys deserve it. Surprised they didn't do it sooner with how few 13Bs they seem to attract these days.