Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

FuturePastNow posted:

He probably should be a little paranoid about that.

Totally. I was originally going to say insanely paranoid, but there is nothing insane about it.

From what I have heard it might be ratcheted up a few notches higher than it should be, but that's a health issue not an argument that it doesn't need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Naw, there's a serious issue with people that have massive grudges on him and the forums doing things to try and cause issues. Being paranoid about someone potentially getting root access to the servers is a good thing. He stated on FB that he can't even log into his account unless he is on his home computer with a static IP which makes sense if you think about it. I'd rather the admins be mega paranoid for their safety and the forums safety then lax and welp all's good as someone uses a backdoor to gently caress over every goon here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

No one seems to know what the length limit for thread titles is.

Whenever a change is suggested, whether itíll fit is an open question till a mod tries it.

Looking at my bookmarked threads, it seems like the limit might be eighty‐five characters.

O.K., but then how did the Weird News thread get its extra‐long title?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Whenever a change is suggested, whether it’ll fit is an open question till a mod tries it.

Looking at my bookmarked threads, it seems like the limit might be eighty‐five characters.

Give me a moment, I have a thread that I deliberately gave the max length title!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Whenever a change is suggested, whether itíll fit is an open question till a mod tries it.

Ok, had to hop on the computer for this one, mobile it was too long to actually check!

I know this is max length because I set it to max length: "NHL January N/V: GOALIE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL"

85 characters. There you go!

e: realistically what happens is we'll take a suggested thread title, paste it in, and it gets cut off, either say it's too long, or try to mangle it to fit. No one really memorizes the length.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 11, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Edit: here's a real question: What is the intended purpose of the 100k hour probation? Shouldn't someone hit with that just be permabanned instead?

Unlike a ban or perma, it lets the target continue reading the forums even when the paywall is up without reregistering, and gives them something to look forward to a decade hence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Private messages can be sent while on probation.

For this reason, serial PM abusers have to get permabans. Thereís no way to enforce a time-out on PMs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun Shoe

Yeah, there was a very, for lack of better words, notorious poster who would send staff PMs while probed.

Hell, we've had multiple so uh, that's pretty vague as to whom.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun Shoe

Oh! Other weird thread title weirdness: you can't put unicode characters in it. The forums doesn't support it. You determine if that's good or bad.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Alright after some investigation, it appears that the limit is 75, or 85, or 100, depending on how and where you're doing it. Because radium.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alright after some investigation, it appears that the limit is 75, or 85, or 100, depending on how and where you're doing it. Because radium.

When Lowtax said "man, I wish I could find someone to code for SA" an entire goddamned zoo's worth of monkeys paws snapped shut like bear traps.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 22, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

One option for keeping the database safe after all this coup chat is to encrypt it and upload it as a torrent every few weeks. Data hoarders will save anything, even a few TB of unreadable binaries.

Generate a proper 256 bit hex key though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Captain von Trapp posted:

One option for keeping the database safe after all this coup chat is to encrypt it and upload it as a torrent every few weeks. Data hoarders will save anything, even a few TB of unreadable binaries.

Generate a proper 256 bit hex key though.

paging fishmech?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

paging fishmech?

No need for the encryption then, she probably already has a live mirror ferreted away somewhere, including all the mod forums, thatís being synced daily with stolen credentials.

UltraRed
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

No need for the encryption then, she probably already has a live mirror ferreted away somewhere, including all the mod forums, thatís being synced daily with stolen credentials.

I'm picturing Fishmech replying to posts on that forum, and is secretly sad nobody is replying.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

UltraRed posted:

I'm picturing Fishmech replying to posts on that forum, and is secretly sad nobody is replying.

Fishmech was once restricted to only posting in the Gas Chamber.

Didn't stop her posting.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Shut up Meg posted:

Fishmech was once restricted to only posting in the Gas Chamber.

Didn't stop her posting.

I really do wonder what her parachute account is

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I really do wonder what her parachute account is

Nintendo Kid

Or at least that was her parachute, who knows if she still has one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Nintendo Kid was permabanned.

e: Over twelve posts per day, for nine years, on an alt account. Wow.

I donít think sheís reregged because I donít think she could fail to have the same argumentative habits she had before, and I donít think we could fail to notice them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun Shoe

Yeah, and this is pretty much not the purview of this thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Is there any particular reason The Imp Zone is in ďThe Finer ArtsĒ while Games is in ďDiscussionĒ, or is the asymmetry just a historical quirk?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun Shoe

That was ZDR claiming "games are fine art", if I remember right.

angerbeet
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Are you suggesting video games aren't art?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Platystemon posted:

The usual limit is 85, but you can tinker with your browser elements to fit up to 99. I take advantage of that for people when I can.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To confirm: there's no way to ever remove anything from your rap sheet, right?

e: before you think I'm trying to cover up my crimes I really just want it clean so I can ask LAB for infinite amadeus pictures with no interruptions. I understand that this probably isn't possible but hope springs eternal

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 30, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

To confirm: there's no way to ever remove anything from your rap sheet, right?

e: before you think I'm trying to cover up my crimes I really just want it clean so I can ask LAB for infinite amadeus pictures with no interruptions. I understand that this probably isn't possible but hope springs eternal

It's definitely technically possible, because this guy was perma'd, and then the permaban was reversed and replaced with a ban+30, and neither the perma nor the ban+30 it was replaced with show up on his rap sheet.

I have no idea how difficult it is, but given the codebase I'm going to guess "very difficult and the mods/admins probably don't want to make a habit of it".

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Soiled Meat

Only Jeffery can do it, so if it's a big deal to you pm him to plea your case.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It's also a thing that we try to avoid because it involves directly tinkering with the database, and that has a lot of risks.

What we're trying to do now is we'll reverse whatever is hosed up then drop an explanatory sixer on the account to put in a note about what's going on, then blank out the sixer so they're not actually on probation.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love birds but not enough to risk breaking the forums over it. Thanks for sating my curiosity!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Now that the probation avatar takes priority over the ban avatar, is there a way to tell if someone whoís gotten a ban+30 has regregged before the probation wears off? My best guess is looking at their profile since I think the ban av will show up there but the probation one doesnít, but Iím not certain.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Floss Finder

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Now that the probation avatar takes priority over the ban avatar, is there a way to tell if someone whoís gotten a ban+30 has regregged before the probation wears off? My best guess is looking at their profile since I think the ban av will show up there but the probation one doesnít, but Iím not certain.
This is correct - the profile will show it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cool, thanks. The switch to the prob av taking priority came around the same time as ban+30s started going around big time so I was curious as to which of those had opted to come back and which hosed off forever.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can't find your post where you said you'd been working on sorting out this kind of thing, but did you know the Banned count is wrong?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Shut up Meg posted:

I can't find your post where you said you'd been working on sorting out this kind of thing, but did you know the Banned count is wrong?

I just have to know how you figured this out. goons.xls?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

RFC2324 posted:

I just have to know how you figured this out. goons.xls?

Oh, just the daily count!
Always worth a quick look when it hits double figures as it often means a bunch of stupid people have just outed themselves as terrible people.

Though if you told me that someone had been manually collating all the bans over the last decade a) I would not be surprised and b) it would probably be more accurate than Radium's automated process.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

I'm escaping to the ONE PLACE that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.... SPAAAACE

it displays the number of bans that have been queued, not the number that have been approved

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

exmarx posted:

it displays the number of bans that have been queued, not the number that have been approved

That sounds like typical Radium code.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

Http 418

Shut up Meg posted:

Oh, just the daily count!
Always worth a quick look when it hits double figures as it often means a bunch of stupid people have just outed themselves as terrible people.

Though if you told me that someone had been manually collating all the bans over the last decade a) I would not be surprised and b) it would probably be more accurate than Radium's automated process.

I always thought goons.xls was a joke til fishmech. she just needed every bit of data

it was probably on her ftp site too

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ďIíll have to get you to excuse me, my friend, I ainít no hat-rack.Ē

Fun Shoe

forums-wide announcements are at the top of every subforum, which includes mod business subforums. at the top of the reports queue, we presently have a bright red reminder not to make death threats (against bad posters, i guess??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Squizzle posted:

forums-wide announcements are at the top of every subforum

Quick question/suggestion related to this: Could the announcements also be put on the User Control Panel and Bookmarked Threads pages? Because I never look at the actual forum pages and only notice announcements when I happen to look at the forums on my phone, because the app pops up a thing to tell me about them.