Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Quick question/suggestion related to this: Could the announcements also be put on the User Control Panel and Bookmarked Threads pages? Because I never look at the actual forum pages and only notice announcements when I happen to look at the forums on my phone, because the app pops up a thing to tell me about them.

You know, that's something I've been thinking about myself. Lemme go see if I can rustle up Jeffrey and find out if this is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Floss Finder

Tiggum posted:

Quick question/suggestion related to this: Could the announcements also be put on the User Control Panel and Bookmarked Threads pages? Because I never look at the actual forum pages and only notice announcements when I happen to look at the forums on my phone, because the app pops up a thing to tell me about them.
Yes!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would never shop at Costco. The paper towels won't fit into my sports car!

You know, I've been around this joint for a long time, and I'd just like to say I'm glad that it still works.

As you were.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You know, I've been around this joint for a long time, and I'd just like to say I'm glad that it still works.

Is hellbanning still a thing that's possible/done? Where everything works/appears normal to them but nobody else sees their posts so they never get replies? Or is that something I imagined? I'd swear a handful of especially attention-hungry posters got it in the past to drive them to insanity and paranoia.

Yes I know this is a very dangerous question

e: haha wow I just checked my own rap sheet as I couldn't remember if I'd ever had a slap on the wrist. Just one from over 10 years ago from Abe and Finn for backseat modding. Can't even see what I did as I don't have archives!

franco fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 29, 2020

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Floss Finder

Hellbanning has been stripped out of the code, I see where it was but it's gone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I think hellbanning got the axe because it took an inordinate amount of server resources to implement.

Hereís the post you got probed for:

quote:

Oh for crying out loud this is getting stupid. Banned for the first post? If the powers that be don't want anybody to start a thread in E/N then just shut E/N down. The Darfur rule was stupid to start with but now it has reached levels of idiocy that I never thought possible. The fact that imposing a rule designed to make comparisons to those less fortunate than most people on this forum has actually cheapened their existence seems to be completely lost on some people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Thanks both! Glad I didn't imagine it. And yeah I probably deserved that one haha.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

franco posted:

Thanks both! Glad I didn't imagine it. And yeah I probably deserved that one haha.

Congratulations on making one stupid post and learning from the experience and not making another one, that's impressive!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Character development

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Can admins put plat on peoples accounts? Someone said they could but Iíve PMed an admin a while back to do it (I had a little contest and wanted to give it to the winner) and they said they had to email the gift code to the email address on file from their mod SA account.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. Itís literally a drop down menu. There are different user classes for the various levels of poo poo. So registered, banned, permabanned, plat, no ads, plat no ads, mod, admin.

Maybe a couple others

Was this during that hosed time when we didnít have any admins with panel access?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. Itís literally a drop down menu. There are different user classes for the various levels of poo poo. So registered, banned, permabanned, plat, no ads, plat no ads, mod, admin.

Maybe a couple others

Was this during that hosed time when we didnít have any admins with panel access?

Quite possibly, it was a year and change ago.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Project Force

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's about right, there was a long period where administration was pretty hosed for both forums politics and technical reasons and it was fixed around halfway/towards the end of 2019.

Note: I've been a mod since October of 2018.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sounds like the right time frame.

FWIW the current admin staff is pretty adamant about never getting in that boat again. I think all admins have panel access ( I know for a fact that at least four of us do ) and at least two have server access.

Jeffreys our only coder, which is a single point of failure, but thatís more about finding someone to donate on a consistent basis, for free, skilled labor that pays well in the real world.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jeffreys our only coder, which is a single point of failure, but thatís more about finding someone to donate on a consistent basis, for free, skilled labor that pays well in the real world.

Also willing to work in a third rate language on reportedly the worst codebase since the therac 25.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Keep on jammin'

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sounds like the right time frame.

FWIW the current admin staff is pretty adamant about never getting in that boat again. I think all admins have panel access ( I know for a fact that at least four of us do ) and at least two have server access.

Who has server access other than Jeff? I'm guessing you're not counting Lowtax.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Floss Finder

Chooch is around in that he is gracefully willing to answer my questions as needed - he's been great.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Who has server access other than Jeff? I'm guessing you're not counting Lowtax.

There are a couple others who do on a limited basis. Stuff like uploading pics when we set up a new smilie or give someone a custom av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jeffrey, is it true that you're doing this for free? Why? I mean Lowtax is getting like 10k per month (Patreon + direct forums revenue) for doing literally nothing. Why aren't you asking for a cut?

«3 »