Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for all of 2019?
This poll is closed.
:judas: Chris Jericho (AEW Champion) 47 45.63%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 16 15.53%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 11 10.68%
:parrot: Kofi Kingston (WWE Champion) 5 4.85%
Adam Cole (NXT Champion) 3 2.91%
:anarchists: Daniel Bryan (WWE Champion) 3 2.91%
Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) 3 2.91%
:mrgw: Bea Priestley (World of Stardom Champion) 2 1.94%
:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 2 1.94%
:stoked: Riho (AEW Women's Champion) 2 1.94%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) 2 1.94%
Asuka (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 0.97%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion) 1 0.97%
Ben-K (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 0.97%
:laugh: Kagetsu (World of Stardom Champion) 1 0.97%
:grin: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) 1 0.97%
:supaburn: Seth Rollins (WWE Universal Champion) 1 0.97%
:joel: Switchblade Jay White (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.97%
:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:yowie: The Fiend Bray Wyatt (WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
:boom: Miyu Yamashita (TOKYO Princess of Princess & SHINE Champion) 0 0%
:riker: PAC (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
PCO (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Tokyo Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's January of 2019, and once again time to decide who Rowdy Ringsports' Champion for all of the year was. Each month we've voted for our champion of the month, and below are the results of each month's voting from January through December - click each month to see the final vote count.

To be eligible for voting in this final poll of the year, a wrestler need simply have been the top champion for their promotion at some time during the year of 2019 (January 1st to December 31st). Sadly there are only 25 spaces to fit into the poll, and even only taking into account those Champions who were options each month there were far more than that (43 in total!). As a result, I've used SCIENCE to pick out the 25 Champions who gained the most votes throughout the course of the year. The Champions who didn't quite make the cut were: Brock Lesnar (WWE), Konosuke Takeshita (DDT), Matt Taven (ROH), Johnny Impact (Impact), Rhea Ripley (NXT), HARASHIMA (DDT), Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH), Charlotte Flair (WWE), Tetsuya Endo (DDT), Kenny Omega (New Japan), Sami Callihan (Impact), Cage (Impact), Ronda Rousey (WWE), Jay Lethal (ROH), Daisuke Sasaki (DDT), Jeff Cobb (PWG) & Shayna Baszler (NXT).

The poll will run for 5 days exactly, at the end of which there will be (hopefully!) a clear winner for Rowdy Ringsports' Pro-Wrestling Champion of Champions for the year 2019. In 2006 the winner was Bryan Danielson; in 2007 Edge and Morishima shared the win; in 2008 Jericho was the clear choice for winner and 2009 was one long Summer of Punk. 2010 was the Year of The Miz (seriously!) and 2011 AND 2012 saw CM Punk return to the top spot, becoming a 3 time Champ of the Year as well as winning two consecutive years. Okada dominated 2013 and the monthly polls in a way like nobody has ever done before, and in 2014 AJ Styles' career resurgence since leaving TNA was rewarded with the Champ of the Year decision. 2015 saw the first ever Woman Champion of the Year in Bayley, even more impressive since NXT wasn't included as an option on any monthly polls (but now is!). Then in 2016 AJ Styles become only the second wrestler to win the yearly poll for a second time. Okada wasn't far behind, winning the yearly poll in 2017 to also become a two time champ, and then he did one better in 2018 by becoming a three time champ, a feat so far only matched by CM Punk. Can he he win it for a fourth time this year and beat CM Punk's record? Will Chris Jericho's remarkable 2019 bring him back to Champ of the Year Status for the first time in over a decade? Does the K O F I T R A I N still have some steam? What about Daniel Bryan or Riho or Tanahashi? Or will somebody else entirely come out of nowhere to take the win?

Below are the eligible Champions. To avoid any potential bias, I've listed the wrestlers in alphabetical order and simply included a list of their title defenses. Feel free to argue or promote the case of your favorite wrestler as you see fit. This time around there is no None of the Above option, there are the champs we have to choose from, and one of these wrestlers will be the Champion of the year!

Adam Cole (NXT Champion) - Defeated Johnny Gargano to win the title. Defended successfully against Akira Tozawa, Johnny Gargano, Jordan Myles, Matt Riddle, Daniel Bryan, Pete Dunne and Finn Balor. Retained by DQ against Seth Rollins. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 8

Asuka (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Entered the year as Champion. Successfully defended title against Becky Lunch and Mandy Rose. Lost title to Charlotte Flair. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 10

:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Defeated Charlotte Flair to win title. Successfully defended against Alexa Bliss, Nikki Cross, Ember Moon and Charlotte Flair. Lost and regained title from Charlotte Flair. Successfully defended against Nikki Cross. Ended year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 13

:mrgw: Bea Priestley (World of Stardom Champion) - Defeated Kagetsu to win title. Successfully defended against Hazuki, Konami, Momo Watanabe, Utami Hayashishita and Hana Kimura. Lost title to Mayu Iwatani. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 9

:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw and Smackdown Women's Champion) - Defeated Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair in Main Event of Wrestlemania 35 to win both titles. Defeated Lacey Evans to retain Raw title but lost Smackdown title to Charlotte Flair. Successfully defended Raw title against Lacey Evans & Natalya. Retained title by DQ against Sasha Banks, then defeated Sasha Banks to retain title. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 10

Ben-K (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Defeated PAC to become Champion. Defeated YAMATO, Masaaki Mochizuki and Masato Yoshino to retain his title. Lost the title to Naruki Doi in December. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 10

:yowie: The Fiend Bray Wyatt (WWE Universal Champion) - Defeated Seth Rollins at the Blood Money propaganda show in Saudi Arabia to become Champion. Defeated Daniel Bryan at Survivor Series. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 7

:judas: Chris Jericho (AEW Champion) - Defeated Hangman Page at the ALL OUT PPV to become the inaugural AEW Champion. Successfully defended his title against Darby Allin, Cody and Scorpio Sky. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 176

:anarchists: Daniel Bryan (WWE Champion) - Started the year as Champion. Defeated AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, Kofi Kingston, Randy Orton, Samoa Joe & Mustafa Ali to retain title. Lost title to Kofi Kingston at Wrestlemania 35. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 101

:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 13 to become Champion. Defeated by Switchblade Jay White to lose the title. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 33

:laugh: Kagetsu (World of Stardom Champion) - Started the year as Champion. Defeated Viper, Mayu Iwatani, Nicole Savoy, Hana Kimura, Jungle Kyona, Hazuki and Goya Kong to retain her title. Went to a Double KO against Momo Watanabe. Lost title to Bea Priestley. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 8

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Switchblade Jay White at Madison Square Garden G1 Supercard to become Champion. Successfully defended his title against SANADA, Chris Jericho & Minoru Suzuki. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 125

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Started the year as Champion. Successfully defended title against KAI, Suwama, Naoya Nomura, Shuji Ishikawa, Yoshitatsu, Zeus and Jake Lee. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 60

:parrot: Kofi Kingston (WWE Champion) - Defeated Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania 35 to become Champion. Defeated Seth Rollins (by DQ), Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Dolph Ziggler, Samoa Joe and Randy Orton to retain his title. Lost title to Brock Lesnar. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 83

:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) - Defeated Bea Priestley to become Champion. Successfully defended her title against Kagetsu. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 21

:boom: Miyu Yamashita (TOKYO Princess of Princess & SHINE Champion) - Started year as Princess of Princess Champion. Defended successfully against Maki Ito, Nodoka Tenma and Yuka Sakazaki. Defeated Allysin Kay to also become SHINE Champion. Lost PoP Title to Shoko Nakajima and SHINE title to Allysin Kay. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 8

:grin: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) - Started the year as Champion. Successfully defended title against PJ Black, Shane Stickland, Leland Race, Marty Scurll, Brad Slayer, Dirty Money, Tim Storm, Brandon Gore, Shane Williams, James Storm and Ricky Morton. Retained his title by DQ against Colt Cabana. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 8

:riker: PAC (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Started the year as Champion. Successfully defended title against Masato Yoshini, Kzy, Shun Skywalker and Dragon Kid. Lost title to Ben-K. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 7

PCO (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Rush to become Champion. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 11

:stoked: Riho (AEW Women's Champion) - Defeated Nyla Rose on the first episode of AEW Dynamite to become the inaugural AEW Women's Champion. Successfully defended title against Britt Baker & Emi Sakura. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 64

:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Matt Taven to become Champion. Successfully defended title against Silas Young and Jeff Cobb. Lost title to PCO. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 29

:supaburn: Seth Rollins (WWE Universal Champion) - Defeated Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 35 to become Champion. Lost by DQ to Kofi Kingston. Successfully defended title against AJ Styles & Baron Corbin. Lost to and then won back title from Brock Lesnar. Successfully defended title against Braun Strowman. Went to No Contests against Rusev and The Fiend Bray Wyatt. Lost title to Bray Wyatt at the Blood Money propaganda show in Saudi Arabia. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 8

:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Tokyo Princess of Princess Champion) - Defeated Miyu Yamashita to become Champion. Successfully defended title against Thunder Rosa, Mizuki and Misao. Lost title to Yuka Sakazaki. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 26

:joel: Switchblade Jay White (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi at The New Beginning in Osaka to become Champion. Lost title to Kazuchika Okada at Madison Square Garden G1 Supercard. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 27

Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) - Defeated Shoko Najakima to become Champion. Ended the year as Champion. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 8

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Successfully defended his title against SANADA, Christ Jericho & Minoru Suzuki.

Careful J-Ru, your bias is showing

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Voted :judas: because he simply was stellar in every little thing he did since gaining the title at All Out. A lot of people on this list were better in the ring than him, but in terms of oozing charisma and personality and turning every last thing he touched into gold, not one person on offer here can touch Chris Jericho.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Of all the stuff I saw in 2019 I think it's between PAC and Kento. The consistency of them both in the big occasions has been terrific.

The way PAC handled himself during his reign not only gave us great matches with KZY, his former mentor Dragon Kid and star of the future Shun Skywalker but meant that when he put over Ben-K he really elevated him to confirm has spot as DG future ace.

Kento was just consistency personified from his rad match with KAI on 3rd January through another 7 defences against everyone from Suwama and Ishikawa to Nomura and Yoshitatsu. Yeah, that guy. Man, I don't know how All Japan can do so poorly elevating their homegrown stars like Lee and Nomura but make Yoshitatsu look good in a way New Japan just couldn't. The match quality all the way has been tops too and Kento might be my Wrestler of the Year.

For whatever reason I'm not especially feeling the Okada 2019 reign. Suzuki match in London ruled, him winning the title back at MSG was special but aside from that and a lot of SANADA matches I'm blanking on anything else. He just didn't really seem to be in the most important program in his company a whole lot. Maybe I'm being unfairly critical based on his previous run.

Anyway, I've talked myself into it being 'Best of the Best' Kento Miyahara and I definitely didn't think 12 months ago I'd be saying that, I'd hardly seen him. Not that it matters, there's no way that the AEW champion doesn't take it this year.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Breathe with the motherfucking Switchblade baby.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Careful J-Ru, your bias is showing

:tinfoil:

As much as I love Okada, I do have to say my personal pick was for Chris Jericho this year. He's been absolutely incredible and everything he has done has turned to gold. It's been pretty amazing to watch unfold.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
There are better guys in ring, but Jericho has taken a championship and elevated it from non-existent to prestigious in less than half a year. I got to see Okada live twice this year and he actually strains believably with how good a wrestler he is, but even with that the importance of Jericho this year cannot be overstated.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I am on record as not caring about anything other than how good a champion's title matches are so it's Kento for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its okada.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Draxion posted:

I am on record as not caring about anything other than how good a champion's title matches are so it's Kento for me.

I’d give a slight edge to Okada for in ring last year, but Kento Miyahara was one of the five best wrestlers in the world last year and I hope people take the time to watch his stuff if you haven’t before.

I voted Jericho because he felt like the most important of the top tier candidates. Not as good in the ring, but still good and his angles and promos are so good they formed the bedrock for AEW to build off of.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kento Miyahara has been having that 2017 Okada run, but much better imo. This is his year. My heart wants to give it to Kofi, but my brain knows this is Kento's year.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted for Seth.

Not as a joke, but I feel that his wet fart of a reign, his whinging/bootlicking on twitter, and everything around him exemplifies the company he works for and it's place in 2019.

And very sadly, for a great many wrestling fans, that company, IS wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping to remind people they have a little over 4 days to get their votes in for the Champion of 2019!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lil Kazu has my heart and my vote. As Royal Quest, Suzuki slapped him so hard his spirit left his body, lived an entire alternate life, and came back older and wiser, and it still didn't knock him over.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i did what needed to be done, and voted kento

edit: lol at the one asuka vote

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

edit: lol at the one asuka vote

People can vote for who they want, if they genuinely belie-wait somebody voted for Bea Priestley?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

People can vote for who they want, if they genuinely belie-wait somebody voted for Bea Priestley?

We need to respect Will Ospreay's decisions.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

yeah me and one other person

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I voted for Kofi because his win and run may be the last thing I ever love in WWE.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Poor Kento :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Voted my Prime Minister.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

:judas:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's pretty wild that Becky Lynch, "hottest act in the company" as recently as April, has 0 votes so far

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Kenny Omega at Wrestlemania Kingdom 13 to become Champion. Defeated by Switchblade Jay White to lose the title. Total COTM Votes for the Year: 33

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got confused because I was thinking about the actual and legitimate and 100% gonna happen Tanahashi vs. Cena match, sorry!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I got confused because I was thinking about the actual and legitimate and 100% gonna happen Tanahashi vs. Cena match, sorry!

It's going to happen all right.

It's going to happen on TNT in AEW.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

(boom)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Did my part, voted for Okada

Not my first vote for him as champ of a year. Won't be my last either. Greatest of all time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would have loved to vote for Kofi but good lord was his actual reign awful

Chris James 2 posted:

Did my part, voted for Okada

Not my first vote for him as champ of a year. Won't be my last either. Greatest of all time

I also voted for the GoaT but I picked the entry that spelled his name properly :hai:

it's Jericho. I voted for Jericho

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i voted yuka since she is so much better than mayu and jericho based on the frigging biggest geniuses around *pounds desk*

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

It has to be :judas: . Inaugural champion, putting on amazing matches in a late-career renaissance, constantly elevating newer/younger talent. HM for Okada being the GOAT as always, but Jericho’s the biggest deal this year, so he gets the vote.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I voted Chris Jericho for some of the reasons other people have already mentioned. Thank you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There are three more days to vote, thank YOU!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

This is the last time I get to vote Hiroshi Tanahashi in one of these and god drat it I did!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still a couple days to vote!

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Anything other than :judas: or Okada is kind of a hot take, imo

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Counterpoint Breathe With The Motherfucking Switchblade.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just over a day left to vote!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I will admit that this list had a fair amount of "WHO?" for me, which means some people aren't getting a fair shake. I had to vote the best of who I've been watching

JUDAS IN, JUDAS IN MY MIIIIND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Voted Kento because he's had an amazing run as champ