Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Switchblade Jay White - NJPW G1 Climax 30 9/19

What a match! Switchblade was right back to his sleazy best, Shingo ruled as always, the face/heel dynamic could not have been clearer, the crowd was hot as hell in spite of all the restrictions on how they can react, and even the requisite interference spots and ref stuff worked beautifully into the story of the match. Commentary losing their loving minds helped a bunch too.

I'll give it a HM because every single BC wrestler doing the exact same thing every single match is just no but the match was very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

What a match! Switchblade was right back to his sleazy best, Shingo ruled as always, the face/heel dynamic could not have been clearer, the crowd was hot as hell in spite of all the restrictions on how they can react, and even the requisite interference spots and ref stuff worked beautifully into the story of the match. Commentary losing their loving minds helped a bunch too.

Can only go HM on this because I loving hate how lazy a crutch the ref bump is in New Japan at this point. People hate Jay plenty already, he doesn't need it but they do it anyway & it loving sucks

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Jerusalem posted:

nth. great match. jay white is one of the top 15 wrestlers in the world, maybe even top 10. Bumped like an absolute champ for Shingo too, made him look like a million bucks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs Minoru Suzuki G1 Climax Day 1 19.09

It begins.

Nth. I want these guys to slap each other forever

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs Jay White G1 Climax Day 1 19.09

Just classic fiery babyface vs sleazy heel executed to near perfection.

Nth. I want to slap Jay White forever.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi G1 Climax Day 1 19.09

Like, what else could you expect?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM for me, needed more money clip to push it over the edge

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs Minoru Suzuki G1 Climax Day 1 19.09
HM: Shingo Takagi vs Jay White G1 Climax Day 1 19.09
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi G1 Climax Day 1 19.09

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM from me, was really good but not quite up to the previous two matches, or against their last singles match at Wrestle Kingdom.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW G1 Climax Night 1, 19/09

Imagine doubting Lil Kazu

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

I preferred Ishii / Suzuki but I'll toss this an Nth.

Holy gently caress, we have so many events to come.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

HM for me, needed more money clip to push it over the edge

Agree, HM on Okada Ibushi. Much more on the level of Taichi Cobb

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Cerebral Bore posted:

i'll HM this. never really felt like the match kicked up to the next gear, like they knocked 5 minutes off the ending or something. still very good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Honorable Mentions - G1 Climax 30 Night One
Minoru Suzuki vs Tomohiro Ishii
Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

G1 Climax Night 1 9/19

HM: Taichi/Cobb
HM: Okada/Ibushi
MOTYC: Takagi/White
MOTYC: Ishii/Suzuki

G1 is back

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Agree, HM on Okada Ibushi. Much more on the level of Taichi Cobb

Taichi/Cobb was the superior match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Taichi/Cobb was the superior match.

I'd not disagree

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Minoru Suzuki vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW G1 Climax Night 1, 19/09

Minoru Suzuki is wrestler of the year

Nth, a masterclass in selling and stiff strikes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should I wait for English commentary on G1 day 1 or just hop straight in?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Jay White vs. Shingo Takagi, NJPW G1 Climax Night 1, 19/09

gently caress you Switchblade you awful loving slimy dirtbag of a human being (I'm so glad you're back)

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Will Ospreay vs Yujiro Takahashi G1 Climax Day 1 19.09

Billy may be a bad person but he's really loving good in the ring.

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Minoru Suzuki vs. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW G1 Climax Night 1, 19/09

Minoru Suzuki is wrestler of the year

NTH

I woke up, saw 41 posts in this thread and audibly said "G-1 is back baby!"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Never watch English commentary it's bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you watch the Japanese commentary you get to hear Jushin Thunder Liger have a giggling fit. It rules.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
From NJPW G1 Climax 30 9/19

MOTYC - Minoru Suzuki vs Tomohiro Ishii - awesome and Ishii's selling is unbelievable and Suzuki is the best. I could watch the two of them just glower at each other for 30 minutes and be thrilled with it.
MOTYC - Shingo Takagi vs Jay White - another awesome match, Jay White is such a great heel and Shingo is Shingo.
HM - Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi - nowhere near their past couple of matches, the cobra clutch obsession makes Okada matches feel worse. That said, it was great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC: Jeff Cobb vs Taichi

Before the tournament there were a fair number of people hoping Cobb would be able to throw people around in this tournament and guess what, he did! But Taichi threw him around too and got that great superkick at the end.

MOTYC: Okada vs Ibushi

Loved Ibushi basically having the better of Okada at every turn and even cutting him off when he decided it was time for rainmakers.

HM
Suzuki vs Ishii
White vs Shingo

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Taichi vs. Jeff Cobb - G1 Climax 30 Night 1 19/9

jesus WEP posted:

MOTYC: Minoru Suzuki vs Tomohiro Ishii, G1 Climax Night 1
gently caress

Jerusalem posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nth to all of this.

I can't believe I was skipping Taichi matches last summer. He's stepped up his game a lot, but even so, that was so fun. Cobb is also looking way better than he looked last year -- the beard works and I think he's slimmed down a tiny bit.

Didn't love the ref fuckery in Takagi/White but at least it was Takagi screwing up and getting punished for it, so it doesn't take it down a notch for me.

Okada/Ibushi was not as good as the WK match but that's an insane bar. Having gone back and watched all of WK 14 last weekend, I am 100% sure their match there was match of the night by a substantial margin. This was still a superlative match. I am getting more and more suspicious that the whole cobra clutch thing is a long story about how Okada's a stubborn idiot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM:Taichi vs Cobb
MOTYC: Suzuki vs Ishii, Shingo vs Jay White, Okada vs Ibushi

Great opening night of G1

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't get peoples obsession with Taichi, his match with Cobb was ok but not nearly a MOTYC or HM candidate.

MOTYC - Okada vs. Ibushi
MOTYC - Suzuki vs. Ishii
HM - Shingo vs. White

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SalTheBard posted:

I don't get peoples obsession with Taichi

He kicks people really really hard

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I don't get peoples obsession with Taichi

He's such a good singer.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

its the pants

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Taichi is New Japan Baron Corbin

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lamuella posted:

He's such a good singer.

I'm very embarassed to admit this, but for years I thought he actually was singing himself down to the ring. Then I was watching a Dominion show with a fellow Goon. I mentioned something about Taichi's singing and he just looked at me like I was the dumbest guy alive and goes "How would his voice be coming out of the speakers? His mic isn't hooked up to anything? Wait...did you think he was really singing???" and I was so embarrassed that I was like "Oh no I know he was faking it, I was just loving with you!"

sportsgenius86 posted:

Taichi is New Japan Baron Corbin

Truth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SalTheBard posted:

I'm very embarassed to admit this, but for years I thought he actually was singing himself down to the ring. Then I was watching a Dominion show with a fellow Goon. I mentioned something about Taichi's singing and he just looked at me like I was the dumbest guy alive and goes "How would his voice be coming out of the speakers? His mic isn't hooked up to anything? Wait...did you think he was really singing???" and I was so embarrassed that I was like "Oh no I know he was faking it, I was just loving with you!"

Maybe you don't deserve to be obsessed with Taichi

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Jeff Cobb vs Taichi

Nth

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Taichi kicks people in the head and delivers backdrop drivers he is basically Kawada and Morishima united as one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Morisihima was my fav ROH champ but I still don’t think that’s a conversation a lot of people are ready to have just yet

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I will upgrade my HM nod for Taichi/Cobb to MOTYC and apologise for being too cowardly to do it before.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Truth.

They do make wireless microphones, you know

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As if the Holy Emperor can't just transmit his singing directly into our brains by way of pure charisma.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I will upgrade my HM nod for Taichi/Cobb to MOTYC and apologise for being too cowardly to do it before.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Toru Sugiura (c) vs. Jun Kasai for the KING OF FREEDOM Championship in a BEAUTIFUL MURDER Deathmatch - FREEDOMS Tokyo Deathmatch Carnival Vol. 2 (8/31)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3Km6U8llw

Another great title defence from Toru Sugiura who is really challenging Takeda for the title of best deathmatch wrestler in the world. Jun Kasai is up there in terms of wrestlers who just have absolutely unbelievable charisma and presence. As always you shouldn't watch Sugiura matches if you're really squeamish about mouth stuff.

I will second this it is cool.