Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Classic WK, setting the bar for MOTYC insanely high to start the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TTBF posted:

Close the thread, not even Okada has a chance at beating this.

Lol @ this post and doubting the loving Rainmaker

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WMOTYC: NJPW vs Music Rights, Wrestle Kingdom 14

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Trying to see all the good pro wrestling matches is a fool's errand unless you do it as your job like Meltzer. And even Dave can't watch it all. Don't feel too bad about it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

WK14 the GOAT PPV don’t @ me

It's highly possible

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FCF sometimes does have some issues with matches being given way too little time. I guess the Ioni vs Vallu match was nothing special, then?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Wait hold the gently caress on, there's pro graps here in Bog Mongolia?

I've told you about this multiple times dude

Edit: Well, at the very least once.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 7, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

There was one time when I realized you were Finnish and I asked if you go to the FCF events!

Since you never answerd I figured you either didn't care or like then, or lived too far away to go to the shows lol

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BTF posted:

Also, Shemeikka/Vallu at the next WSL :woop:

:eyepop:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

super macho dude posted:

Is there ANY way to watch these in the States?

Nope. Maybe sometime next year when they get around to uploading something from this show on YouTube.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

People expect more from AEW. A stupid loving garbage booking decision souring a match that people were looking forward to seeing and that should've been excellent being considered a WMOTYC is perfectly reasonable, especially since such a match was wasted on furthering a storyline everyone hates. I'm sure parts of the infamous Fiend HIAC match were at the very least passable pro wrestling technically too, but it was the insane booking that made it into the debacle it became.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 11, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: gently caress I did this again. Sorry for the double post.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Absolutely, but the point is, it's often the booking that makes a match bad, not the technical side of it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah! That match ruled so hard. It's very sad they don't show the entrances (yes, the light tube also got an entrance). Probably music rights? Anyway watch it watch it watch it watch it if you didn't see it already

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada/Jon Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki/Taichi w/ Miho Abe, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 01/02

These five are so cool they coulda just stood in the ring for 20 minutes and it would still be an HM

Seconding, it's cool when five of your top 10 people in pro wrestling just do good poo poo for an extended amount of time

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: ZSJ (C) vs. Will Ospreay for the RevPro British Undisputed Heavyweight Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 2/2

Slow start, really surprising heavy grappling focus to begin from Ospreay and then things really picked up and the transitions and the counters and the incredibly smart and well-timed things both wrestlers did to make BOTH of them look fantastic was just an absolute joy to watch. Incredible match.

Yeah, if this happened at WK it would've been in the top 3 of the best matches

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BTF posted:

Who cares about New Japan when you can watch some rasslin goodness live~

HM: Jami Aalto vs Stark Adder(c) for the Frank Andersson Nordic Championship - FCF Wrestling Show Live! 2.1

A great technical encounter turned into a quick war of kicks. Loved it even though it ended pretty quickly due to a nasty cut on top of Aalto's head.

HM: Shemeikka vs Valentine - FCF Wrestling Show Live! 2.1

A great "main event" style matchup, where both men shined. Valentine controls the crowd like no other in Finland and Shemeikka was great as the babyface. Didn't reinvent the wheel, but was a great way to cap off the night. Shemeikka proved that he can pull of this kind of a match (probably his longest singes match without any gimmicks) and excel in it. Valentine hasn't lost a step and it's great to have him back.

I don't really agree with either of these. Thought Aalto and Adder had the MOTN, but it's not like it was the best match from either guy.

Valentine vs Shemeikka was nowhere near as good as it should have been, probably because it was apparently only there to set up the angle. Felt to me like the match was going nowhere. Expected much more from them. The visual of Karhula, dressed in all black, suddenly appearing from the shadows to attack Shemeikka while he had the sharpshooter on was a good one, though.

I dunno, to me this was a weak-ish show from FCF. Almost no one felt like they were on their A game, except for Kert Kukk and, rather mysteriously, Petrov, who is normally never on any kind of game. Still an entertaining show and a good time was had in the second row

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 2, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I guess Knife Perv vs Sandal Perv was nothing special, then?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the comments y’all. I’d also like to ask how long the NJPW card was, and how long the singles matches went overall. Trying to figure out how much I’m able to catch at the airport - start at the beginning or just check out the important stuff. I also haven’t watched the second half of this week’s Dynamite

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Show went about 4hr15, singles matches started around 2 hrs in I think

That’s a hell of a long show for a non-WK non-Dominion one, huh. Thanks scoopsgal

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Am I allowed to nominate a match for both MOTY and WMOTY?

Why not

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

To elaborate - this isn’t the first time someone votes a match to be both MOTYC and WMOTYC. As an example, Final Deletion got some of those votes (I might’ve done it myself, can’t remember) if I recall correctly. And it’s pretty reasonable in my opinion, because that match is simultaneously many things

1) Utterly ridiculous fun
2) Self-indulgent garbage
3) Bursting with creativity
4) Incredibly sloppily worked

Which combine to make it really good, really bad or even both at the same time, depending on how you want to think about it / what your idea of pro wrestling is.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Final deletion was great unironically and the wm nominations were from cowards

Today I would just give it the MOTYC nomination because my idea of pro wrestling has changed since then (Christ, it’s already been nearly four years). But I wouldn’t poopoo those who’d think it’s the worst stupid garbage they’ve ever seen. People have different ideas about what’s good pro wrestling, it’s crazy

forkboy84 posted:

Can't believe the sanctity of the MOTYC tag from Something Awful posters has been ruined. A day that shall go down in infamy.

We already lost the sanctity of the Champion of the Month poll because no one was willing to hinder Jinder :( Sickening!!!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Goons can have a little spiteful voting as a treat

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: Viktor Tykki vs The San, 2/29 FCF Myrskyvaroitus

I didn’t have massively high expectations because The San has never really wowed me in the ring that much, but Viktor Tykki is just an incredibly solid pro wrestler who’s apparently able to have a fantastic match with anyone. Dude could be a big deal anywhere in the world... and I hope he is a few years down the line.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BTF posted:

2nding this. Tykki is a star.

Outside of the main, the show was decent-ish. In-ring wasn't that special (basically a rookie/undercard show) although I thought Pekko/McMetal was solid.

Yeah, not their best show at all. Good spot to get some of the newer/less utilized wrestlers some experience, but especially the first few matches were well on their way to ”pretty bad”. What on earth are they doing with Mieto? Is this weird comedy stuff what he learned from Shibata at the NJPW LA Dojo?

And yeah, that might actually have been the best McMetal match I’ve seen. He had his working boots on. I just generally don’t like the guy (doesn’t help that he’s apparently a big time rear end in a top hat in real life) but he can be a pretty effective heel when they let him. Pekko is incredibly good for how young/green he is, though. Dude was running rings around a guy who’s been wrestling for most of the time Pekko has existed as a human being

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, when they come back all they have to do is send out Ishii to rack up them MOTYC:s and they should be safe.

NJC but every single match is Ishii vs someone

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

This could theoretically lead to an Ishii vs Ishii match, which would kill the entire wrestling business due to everybody realizing that perfection has been achieved and there's no point even trying anymore.

Don’t worry, this would require Ishii to win an important match

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC - Go Shiozaki (c) vs Kazuyuki Fujita for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH 20th Anniversary - NOAH The Chronicle (3/29)

Absolutely insane and surreal match that you owe it to yourself to watch unspoiled. From the THIRTY MINUTE staredown that opened to the match to the five minute headlock, to Fujita chugging loving hand sanitizer to the tour of Korakuen Hall to Fujita repeatedly kicking Go right in the head to Go repeatedly clotheslining him into defeat with two minutes left on the clock

It was a very special match and I'm not sure we'll see anything like it again.

Yeah. Yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Ok I'm not watching 30 mins of 2 dudes staring at each other. How the hell is that not boring?

It rules, scoospgal

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

HM: Kenny Omega vs. Trent, AEW Dynamite, 01/04
MOTYC: Lance Archer vs. Marko Stunt, AEW Dynamite, 01/04
HM: Cody/Darby Allin vs. Sammy Guevara/Shawn Spears, AEW Dynamite, 01/04

Agreeing with scoopsgal, really good episode of Dynamite

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wrestlemania is the anti-Wrestle Kingdom

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I haven't seen the match but that sounds worse than a straight up bad match tbh

Worse yet, it was like fuckin 30 minutes of nothing. I skipped half of it and was still bored out of my mind. Also nthing the WMOTYC

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

WMOTYC: Toru Yano vs. Jado, NJPW New Japan Cup, 16/06

Please retire Jado

Yep I’m a big proponent of Yano but even his bullshit didn’t save Jado from having zero business being in the ring. Really should’ve ended soon after the initial funny business with the stick and pad

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Congrats to Jado for successfully delivering the first WMOTYC for NJPW in who knows how long

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki - NJPW New Japan Cup Night 2 6/17

Two old men beat the utter poo poo out of each other and it absolutely loving ruled from start to finish. God I wish this had been in front of a crowd but even in an empty arena it was just so loving great.

Uh yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

How was Y-H vs BUSHI lol

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ll give you 2020 Tana but calling Ibushi flabby seems weird

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m gonna do it

gently caress you all

HM: MASTER WATO vs DOUKI, New Japan Cup Finals (7/11)

I expected nothing due to catastrophic debut and a DOA gimmick but Wato was actually good and DOUKI was also good, people clapped for DOUKI and Wato did good kung fu stuff and his dumb pose. What more do you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC Shingo Takagi vs SHO NJPW Dominion

What a goddamn war.

Hell yeah