Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Golden Aces vs. Dangerous Tekkers, NJPW Dominion, 12/07

Best tag title match in New Japan I can remember

Agreed, you love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

After a good night’s sleep I’ve processed the match more and have come to the conclusion that as baller as EVIL’s new music is and as hilarious as the ending was, it didn’t justify an ungodly boring 40-minute match where the first interesting thing happened 10 mins in, the second 20 mins in and then the whole thing just drove off a cliff in a clown car for the last five or so minutes. Trash. Only saving graces were Hiromu, Milano, and the table spot. Even the DICK TOGO reveal came after the match.

WMOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. EVIL, NJPW Dominion, 12/07

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ah yes, the match so good that people started throwing garbage in the ring

I am joking, I’m well aware the crowd just wasn’t happy with how the postmatch went. I was there

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also if a match is so unambiguously dogshit as to deserve a WMOTY you shouldn't have to sleep on the issue to come to that conclusion.

Some really weird stuff going on ITT. Why not? Are you not allowed to process a piece of media you saw any further than in the immediate moments after it happened?

I personally found the match pretty boring and funny in a stupid way when it was happening, but not awful. Afterwards when I thought about it, its result and its possible ramifications more, I started to really dislike everything about it.

People have certain expectations of the main event of NJPW’s second-most important show. To some, those expectations were not met, and because it was a very unusual match coming from NJPW, they needed time to think if those expectations were met or not, or if it was weird enough to make those expectations irrelevant. This is nothing new. It happens when you consume media. I’m sure you’ve seen/heard/read something you wasn’t sure you what you thought about it and then only later came to the conclusion that you disliked or liked it a lot more than what your initial reaction was. People are also capable of changing their opinions on things later down the line, sounds crazy but it’s true

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 13, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Minoru Suzuki & El Desperado vs Yuji Nagata & Yuya Uemura NJPW Summer Struggle 27.07

The eternal Grandpa War never fails to deliver.

Sure why not, Nagata vs Suzuki is the feud of the summer

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MOTYC: Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki, NJPW Summer Struggle 7/31

:stonklol:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

”MOTYC” is just a ”candidate” for the best match of the year, if you think it was amongst your favorite matches of this year then you can say it’s a MOTYC even if you liked something more

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

HM: MAKOTO vs Mei Suruga, ChocoPro 37 (8/5) was very very good

Yeah let’s get more Gatoh Move up up in this motherfucker. They need a ChocoPro belt so Lulu Pencil can win Champ of the Month one beautiful day

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Gatoh Move actually has championships but I'm pretty sure the Super Asia Belt has been vacant since Riho left.

Oh right! Well obviously Big Mom Emi is just scared of putting it on another talent and it catapulting them into worldwide fame and then leaving her like Riho did.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: Golden Aces and Master Wato vs Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI, NJPW Summer Struggle 08/08/2020

This ruled a lot, had a ton of YOSHI-HASHI vs Wato, and still ruled a lot. Or maybe it ruled because of it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lamuella posted:

As a sidebar I am now certain that his haircut is another way of making the audience hate him.

Really bad strategy, how could anyone possibly hate hair that glorious?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada/Toru Yano/SHO vs. Tomohiro Ishii/Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI, NJPW Summer Struggle, 09/08

My head says HM, my heart says MOTYC

I’m gonna go with the Headhunter and say it was a HM. Excellent match that made me want a Y-H vs Okada rematch plus Ishii vs SHO. The moment with all of CHAOS in the ring celebrating together ruled so much

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

V. sad the Abema app doesn’t seem to support Chromecast

I shall watch it though. I presume it is the main event?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

MOTYC: Go Shiozaki vs. KENOH Pro Wrestling NOAH The Chronicle Volume 3 08/10/2020

Went into the match knowing almost nothing about either guy, came out of it wanting to know everything.

Yeah, loving thirded

It was a sick rear end match between two absolute madlads as a whole but I just want to say I greatly enjoyed Kenoh’s bastard hell kicks

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Kenoh is absolutely my favourite kickboy. He's so loving vicious. To me he's one of the most under-rated guys out there right now, he's consistently good, has a very simple but enjoyable character that he just has mastered & the man kicks you like no one else.

What are some other recommended KENOH matches, I need to see more kicks that feel like my skin is peeling off

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thank you very much my dude. If I like these matches I’m pretty sure I have a new favorite boy

Edit: watching the first match you linked and it’s really funny how the ring announcer says KENOH’s name. ”Gyeeeehhhnnnnnnn....oooooooooooohhhh”. It’s not that complicated my man. He did it in the Shiozaki match too

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 11, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I watched the Nakajima match and the Eddie Edwards one because I can Chromecast YouTube on the nice screen. I also saw he has a background in kempo and through that figured out that his name is literally FIST KING. He is my new favorite

I will also nth this

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
PRO Wrestling NOAH Departure 2020 Night 1
GHC National Championship
Katsuhiko Nakajima (c) vs Kenoh

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Both from Gatoh Move ChocoProLIVE! #40 8/13/2020

HM: Yuna Mizumori vs Asuka

And, ah, gently caress it

MOTYC: Emi ”OC” Sakura vs Hanako Nakamori

Emi Sakura might be Mom, The Wrestler, she might have the worst music in pro wrestling and her promotion might be the smallest and silliest out there. All of that might sometimes make you forget that she is also an incredibly good wrestler with unique and even hard-hitting offense. That was on full display here. As much of a full-blown war as it gets in the small and weird confines of Ichigaya Chocolate Square. I’d never seen Nakamori before but she also ruled. Awesome kicks.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: The Queen Mother Emi Sakura vs Sayaka Obihiro, ChocoProLIVE!#41 Emi Sakura’s 25th Anniversary Show, 8/17/2020

I enjoyed the match a lot but felt the Nakamori match was slightly better. Still a fantastic time. Here’s to 25 more years of Queen Emi!

Loved the show as a whole but didn’t really feel anything else got to THAT level. Maybe Mei vs Yuu which was sick as hell.? I might second something if someone else HMs another match from the show. I’m really really tired and have trouble concentrating on or thinking about things

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

WMOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Yujiro Takahashi/Jado/Gedo, NJPW Summer Struggle, 26/08

I'm just so tired

Who could possibly have guessed this match would be terrible

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA vs. Toru Yano vs. El Desperado in the KOPW Final - NJPW Summer Struggle 8/29
This is the New Japan I've been missing, the crowd sound was more natural, the wrestlers clearly liked that and they told a really entertaining, funny and well-worked story. And that ending :discourse:

Yeah I think Lil Kazu’s Special Idea deserves a HM

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW Summer Struggle, 29/08

:stare:

Nth, match just made me very very very happy, much like Mox vs Suzuki

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Taiji Ishimori, NJPW Summer Struggle, 29/08

loving nuts

Yeah

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Dangerous Tekkers (C) vs. Golden☆Ace for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles - NJPW Summer Struggle 8/29

Just a quality match with four great wrestlers/two great teams. drat good stuff.

Yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This most definitely won’t be for everyone so I’ll just HM but in a just world it is actually the match of the century with two of the premier comedy wrestlers in the world

HM: Antonio Honda vs Lulu Pencil, ChocoPro #43 (8/28)

Certainly one of the most uniquely absurd matches I’ve ever seen. A large part of it consists of what could charitably be described as singing and dancing duels plus some truly evil comedy heel moves from Honda. Incredible, couldn’t stop laughing all the way through.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

what does 7 HM noms do? Does that make a HM a MOTYC?

It will be foreverially recorded in the highly respected Something Awful Punchsports Pagoda Recommended Matches List as a match that was good but not a MOTYC

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TVMOTY is just a more convoluted way to say HM

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada/SHO/Toru Yano vs. Hirooki Goto/Tomohiro Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI, NJPW New Japan Road, 11/09

Yeah, I still can’t believe the trios titles are good now

Can’t nominate the Jr Tag match because my mom called as I was watching it and I was too lazy to pause or rewind lol

Neodoomium posted:

HM: Yunamon vs Chris Brookes, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #47 - 9/12

:yeah:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat gonna have to peep that Nakajima vs Kenoh poo poo in particular

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

G1 Climax Night 1 9/19

HM: Taichi/Cobb
HM: Okada/Ibushi
MOTYC: Takagi/White
MOTYC: Ishii/Suzuki

G1 is back

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Do not even ask posted:

HM: Juice Robinson vs. YOSHI-HASHI G1 Climax Day 2 20.09
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. EVIL G1 Climax Day 2 20.09
MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito G1 Climax Day 2 20.09

Tanahashi is the fuckin best

Agreeing with all of these

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A friend put it well: Expectations for A block are high so it’s easier for them to underdeliver (see: apparently Ishii vs Ospreay, haven’t been able to watch it myself yet) while B block is expected to be less exciting so it’s easier for them to impress (see: Juice vs Y-H)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I wish it had been a WMOTYC (for me), that at least would have been something notable. Instead it was just more of the nothing the other matches they've had were. :sigh:

Just about to watch the show and I guess this one sounds like a safe skip

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

HM - NJPW G1 Climax 23rd September
Jeff Cobb vs Shingo Takagi
Taichi vs Minoru Suzuki
Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

Yah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just heading home and gonna watch today’s G1. Are the YLs worth watching and was Ishii vs Yujiro enough of a passable match that I shouldn’t skip it? Because I want to skip it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ishii vs Yujiro was a legit good match, actually.

Fine, I will watch it. If you tricked me into watching another shitass Yujiro match I’ll yell loudly, at you

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What date was it advertised to be happening on? That

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I post in this thread kind of randomly even though I do keep up with it. In the case of NJPW, I’ll often nominate matches from the start of a tournament only to stop a few shows in, usually because a lot of other people are already watching those shows and nominating the same matches I would, so I just feel like it’s kind of pointless on my end. Bigger NJPW shows in general I might not nominate because of the same reason. Then, occasionally you get the random Road To shows where something cool happens and there’s a real possibility of a lot of people not checking it out because it’s just a Road To show. Like for instance the one from Friday. That trios match was :discourse: and all NJPW fans owe it to themselves to watch it. Amazing work from YOSHI-HASHI and DOUKI, Goto felt more fired up than during the G1, you get some sweet, sweet Taichi vs Ishii action, ZSJ does his thing... I really hope this is the kind of match they’ll be doing and the kind of position they’ll be giving the trios belts from now on. It’s honestly what they should’ve been doing with them all along, but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

MOTYC: Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and YOSHI-HASHI (C) vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr., and DOUKI) for the NEVER Openweight Trios Championship - NJPW Road to POWER STRUGGLE 10/23

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is the show going to be available on VOD immediately/soon? Sounds like a p. decent use of ¥900, will make time for it tomorrow

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

it goes up instantly yeah, you'll be able to watch the other extremely good show, DDT ultimate party also.

and the first month should be free.

Thanks. I’ve signed up for the service before so I’m thinking I’m not gonna get it for free. Also have no problem paying for a bit of quality rassles!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maybe it’s my unfamiliarity with the wrestlers and storylines but I can’t say I found the show quite as amazing as it was made out to be. Still an excellent show and now that I guess I have two months of DDT Universe I might as well tune in live next time

WRESTLE PRINCESS 07/11/2020

HM: Saki Akai vs Hyper Misao, gimmick switching match
HM: Maki Itoh and Sareee vs Aja Kong and Miyu Yamashita
HM: Rika Tatsumi and Miu vs Yuki Aino and Nodoka Tenma
MOTYC: Yuka Sakazaki vs Mizuki

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Senerio posted:

MOTYC Pencil Army vs Yunamon and Chris Brookes, I Quit Match ChocoPro 63

Emi watched the I Quit Match from Full Gear and decided to show them how it's done.

Nth, match is a work of art

A Gatoh Move match featuring the comedic stylings of Lulu Pencil somehow manages to get genuinely disturbing and uncomfortable to watch at times as Brookes and Yunamon manhandle Lulu, especially the stuff involving the tape, the bag and the pencils. Brookes and Yunamon are just crazy enough to make you believe they’re actually doing or going to do something truly heinous, and Lulu is the perfect babyface victim for them with her indomitable spirit and pathetic stick figure physique. Perfect.

Plus of course some incredible tag team moves, table spots and very bizarre goings-on etc.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 11, 2020