Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What did you waste money on as a kid that you'd forgotten about, or find when you clean out your old closets at your parents' house?

Obvious:

- Pokemon cards. I collected only the Japanese language ones because I liked the art better.
- Small Breyer horses. Collect all the horses. I guess animal collecting is a big thing.
- Beanie babies! Naturally. They did make some cool animals for this, as they tried to branch out further and further.

Sorta Justified:

- Cool rocks
- Fossils
- Weird looking leaves
- "Wheat" pennies, the really old 1c coins with wheat on them. I never see these any more but you used to catch them from time to time.
- All of the different state quarters. Too many now as they keep doing iterations.
- Seashells!
- Books for weird series like the Serendipity where all the messages were sorta messed up
- Collector cards where it was cool art and there was no "player" angle at all, like murderous aliens.

Turbo cool:

- Extremely cool rocks
- Bones
- Weird antiques like snuff boxes or cork boots
- Tools you didn't know how to use yet, big hammer you got at a yard sale
- Tiny ceramic bees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every time I would get a decent booger collection my mom would clean it up and throw it away. Now that I’m an adult I can chill on booger hill. :mmmsmug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I have a shitton of 90s kinder surprise Disney movie toys somewhere, from back when they weren't made from plastic. Last time I got a good look at them I was maybe 16 but I'm 99% sure my parents or I have them somewhere.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Goosebumps books, I guess

all sorts of plastic or metal army men toys

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I didn't have money to buy my own stuff as a kid so I just collected weird looking garbage and bits of metal like some kind of child-sized magpie.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Little animal statues of like, bears, wolves, eagles, dogs etc. Redneck equivalent of anime figurines basically. We got rid of most of them and I don't know if I ever actually spent money or if they were just gifts.

There was a short while were I was looking for Thurber dogs or at least that was what my mom called them, those were actually kinda neat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pick posted:

- Beanie babies!

:hmmyes:

And no, they're not bad in principle. I still like the cats and some other random ones. But falling into the hype and just buying them to grow ~my collection~ was in retrospect a waste of time and money.

e: Oh and the actual cool thing to collect is antique explosives crates. You've gotta have boxes around the house anyway, might as well be a hundred years old and plastered with DANGER warnings.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Weird hangups and mental conditions

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I inherited a sizeable collection of ZBOTS from my older sisters boyfriend. Those little guys were rad as gently caress

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I inherited a sizeable collection of ZBOTS from my older sisters boyfriend. Those little guys were rad as gently caress

I collected Star wars Micro Machines, and these Zbots. Zbots are the jam.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pogs.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pick posted:

What did you waste money on as a kid that you'd forgotten about, or find when you clean out your old closets at your parents' house?

Obvious:

- Pokemon cards. I collected only the Japanese language ones because I liked the art better.
- Small Breyer horses. Collect all the horses. I guess animal collecting is a big thing.
- Beanie babies! Naturally. They did make some cool animals for this, as they tried to branch out further and further.

Sorta Justified:

- Cool rocks
- Fossils
- Weird looking leaves
- "Wheat" pennies, the really old 1c coins with wheat on them. I never see these any more but you used to catch them from time to time.
- All of the different state quarters. Too many now as they keep doing iterations.
- Seashells!
- Books for weird series like the Serendipity where all the messages were sorta messed up
- Collector cards where it was cool art and there was no "player" angle at all, like murderous aliens.

Turbo cool:

- Extremely cool rocks
- Bones
- Weird antiques like snuff boxes or cork boots
- Tools you didn't know how to use yet, big hammer you got at a yard sale
- Tiny ceramic bees

pogs and slammers. i dont regret my rocks though. i do regret my bitch of a great aunt throwing them away when my grandpa died while my grandma was suffering a mental break down due to grandpa dying.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Cool Stuff:
LEGO

Lame Stuff:
Anything that wasn't LEGO.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I think my parents still have a big jar of glass marbles around somewhere, along with 150+ issues of Disney comic pocket books, like these:

They still release them, I think they're in the 400s now.

I still collect fossils, no "sorta justified" about them :mad:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
neurosis

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Enough to put my therapist's kids through college.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Awesome stuff: rocks and bugs
Less than awesome stuff: memories of my father

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Enemies

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Turtles.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I used to collect marbles and micro machines which were just smaller dinky cars (hopefully "dinky" car isn't a problematic term these days)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Post cards. My parents had saved my collection and I looked at it and was amazed at how boring it was. One card did have a recipe for Cincinnati chili that my mom made at my insistence when I was a kid and we hated it.
Oh and stamps.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Cincinatti chili is an abomination, and people from there should be ashamed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Same. But my slammer collection was where it was at, since most people had the same pogs

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I've got a shitload of Star Wars toys from the 90s. Many of them are still in box because I figured for sure they'd be worth a lot of money in the future (they're not)

I also spent entirely too much of my parents money on Crazy Bones. I found an image online. They looked like this.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Beer cans, I had like 300

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Sexual posted:

Beer cans, I had like 300

do you live in a frat house?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Star Trek CCG. I only played one game ever and it wasn’t fun.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My parent's house was built on the remains of a old mink farm. So as a kid, when digging in the yard you'll find their food dishes, bones, and wire mesh of their cages.

So I started collecting the skulls. I had a brown lunch bag filled with mink skulls. I wish I kept it because it was pretty cool.

Other than that, it was Micro-machines, CORPS action figures, and Lego.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I had a binder full of Pogs, pog binder is such a weird concept now to me

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sid Vicious posted:

I had a binder full of Pogs, pog binder is such a weird concept now to me

I remember having one too. It is the children who are weird

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pick posted:

Turbo cool:

- Extremely cool rocks
gotta have my purple quartz

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

these things

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They've got GUTS you SQUISH and SQUASH :magical: :blastu:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pewter wizards - to be fair, I never paid for nor asked for them. For some reason my mother randomly decided that I would collect pewter wizards so she had something to give me as gifts for birthdays/Christmas/etc.

Crab claws - Every time we went to Red Lobster, I'd get crab legs and keep the crab claw. When they started to smell bad, I would get Bubbalicious bubble gum, chew it up, and stuff it into the crab claw to seal it up and mitigate the stink.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

LabyaMynora posted:

Pewter wizards - to be fair, I never paid for nor asked for them. For some reason my mother randomly decided that I would collect pewter wizards so she had something to give me as gifts for birthdays/Christmas/etc.

Crab claws - Every time we went to Red Lobster, I'd get crab legs and keep the crab claw. When they started to smell bad, I would get Bubbalicious bubble gum, chew it up, and stuff it into the crab claw to seal it up and mitigate the stink.

I had a crab claw from a crab i owned who sadly was murdered by a goldfish for years

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sid Vicious posted:

I had a crab claw from a crab i owned who sadly was murdered by a goldfish for years

how does that even happen

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to collect those japanese wrestling dudes. They were pretty cool

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dice. Not even 20-sided or anything. Just plain-rear end six-sided dice.

I don't even know why the gently caress I did.

A few times I had a little collection going of those animal figurines that came in boxes of tea(my grandma and our neighbors would give them to me). My dad always threw them out after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

how does that even happen

Idk he was one of those big bubble eye mutant gold. Fish and he killed Captain Hook