Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They're still living off settlement money from Action Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's a girl with some variant of the name Crystal there

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

but she's trailer park hot, so you smash anyway

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Subtle signs in you're in a poor person's house.
A small, home made yet tasteful piece of embroidery on linen displayed by the door. The gentle stitching shows hours of dedicated, skillful work by an old yet steady hand.

In artful cursive it reads:

We ain't got no money.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

There were three girls named Crystal in my grade and they all lived in the same trailer park.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've thought about living in a connex before. They're dirt cheap, like 2.5k or so, and apparently really easy to convert into something pretty comfortable. Hell, with enough work you can't even tell your house is made of shipping containers.

Shipping containers houses are not a good idea. There are plenty of better pre fab alternatives that will end up costing less and be much more liveable. I've converted a shipping container into a kitchen/retail space and that bastard was a real chore to heat/cool/keep condensation out of, plumb, and make look decent. We made it work but would have been a lot cheaper just to use a prefab steel building.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
To add content, when I was poor my friends knew they were in a poor house because of the following:

- soak bucket in the shed for cloth diapers
- washer and dryer on the porch
- would sweat through the summer because A/C was too expensive to run and freeze in the winter because the house had no central heat.
- Only clothes are black Dickie's and white T-shirts because buying anything that you can't wear with your work uniform is a waste
- friends always bring beer when they come over because they know there's not gonna be any in the fridge
- two cars in the yard but only one licence plate that gets transferred to whichever one is running
- movie night involves setting up an old laptop on the coffee table
- "saving up" to eat at a sit down restaurant.
- only eat mc Donald's when they send out the coupon books

Those were lean times but fun times looking back

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
An older relative is a great-grandparent before age 65.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bonzo posted:

An older relative is a great-grandparent before age 65 55.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Shipping containers houses are not a good idea. There are plenty of better pre fab alternatives that will end up costing less and be much more liveable. I've converted a shipping container into a kitchen/retail space and that bastard was a real chore to heat/cool/keep condensation out of, plumb, and make look decent. We made it work but would have been a lot cheaper just to use a prefab steel building.

over in amsterdam its a popular 'temporary' student housing solution so its probably not that expensive and a sure sign that whoever lives there is poor

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i lived in the projects for the first seven years of my life & two other years of my childhood after that, my grandmother has lived in the projects her whole life, so yeah

poor person meals:
-egg noodles with loose corn
-ramen with or without canned tuna
-tuna & mayo sandwiches
-boiled hot dogs on bread (i didn't realize eating hot dogs with buns was a thing people did at home for non-special occasions tbh)
-dinty moore beef stew with rice
-family outings at KFC as a treat

i still can't tell whether or not hormel chili w/ rice is poor person food tbh

most if not all the poor person house signs i've been privy to have already been mentioned in this thread although there are definitely not enough poor black people posts lol

edit: also, eating cereal out of old, scratched up, vaguely yellow tupperware bowls

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 10, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: also, eating cereal out of old, scratched up, vaguely yellow tupperware bowls

with powdered milk

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
my mom used powdered milk, but my grandmother used whole milk and it felt like the most decadent thing ever

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

YeahTubaMike posted:

The cereal that comes in bags, not boxes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

my mom used powdered milk, but my grandmother used whole milk and it felt like the most decadent thing ever

extremely same

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

YeahTubaMike posted:

-tuna & mayo sandwiches
-boiled hot dogs on bread (i didn't realize eating hot dogs with buns was a thing people did at home for non-special occasions tbh)

Ramen with canned tuna and an egg poached in it was an extremely common meal of mine as a kid. Also lmao at hot dog buns being a thing at home. My fiance commented on how willing I was to just wrap a hot dog in a slice of bread and eat it when I moved in.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

XBenedict posted:

The cereal that comes in bags, not boxes.

:hfive:

corgski posted:

Ramen with canned tuna and an egg poached in it was an extremely common meal of mine as a kid. Also lmao at hot dog buns being a thing at home. My fiance commented on how willing I was to just wrap a hot dog in a slice of bread and eat it when I moved in.

oooooohhh ramen & eggs. i have definitely had to pay for a dozen eggs in nickels & dimes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

-dinty moore beef stew

This stuff is delicious and I think rich and poor can enjoy it without judgment

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rental furniture/electronics.

This managed to get me in trouble as a like 6 year old kid cause I said friends of mine where I lived didnt own the TV in their apartment and the teacher demanded I apologize for accusing them of stealing and that I was a horrible person until I was literally crying while trying to explain that my friend said they got it from rent a center and that I was jealous that my parents couldn't afford to do that because our TV was this ancient tiny thing that was a hand me down gift from my grandma.

The teacher never apologized to me but she stopped harassing me about it when she found out my household was using a twist to change the channels black and white tv in the 90s.

Also: eating capybara meat.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 11, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

This stuff is delicious and I think rich and poor can enjoy it without judgment

rich/poor is a state of mind

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Room in the apartment that remains furnished for a clearly adult child who youve not seen at any point while visiting for "when they get back"
Only nice stuff is kids sporting equipment
Chocolate bars and m&ms with sales slips to buy said sporting equipment
Distant relative sleeping on the couch while they get back on their feet and try to "stay out of trouble"
Car, if it exists, has no radio, antenna, hubcaps, or hood ornament
Fridge has Sunny D, not orange juice, and must be rationed as though actual liquid gold
block is on lockdown while cops raid the half-way home so your friends cant even visit.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 11, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Barudak posted:

Room in the apartment that remains furnished for a clearly adult child who youve not seen at any point whole visiting for "when they get back"

i didn't realize this was a poor thing, even though i should probably assume that anything my grandmother ever does is a poor thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

i didn't realize this was a poor thing, even though i should probably assume that anything my grandmother ever does is a poor thing

I dont know why your grandma did it but in my case it was a surprisingly effective way of not having to tell kids that person is doing a jail stint and you wanted to keep the space ready for them when they got out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

To this day I drink OJ with half of the glass filled with water.

I straight up prefer it that way.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

To this day I drink OJ with half of the glass filled with water.

I straight up prefer it that way.

Look at this guy drinking OJ like a king.

This was "OJ" in my house.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
birthday mondo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We were a mondo household, what is this Kool-aid.

I also drank these plastic clear barrels with tinfoil tops that cost like 30 cents, or if extravagent, unfrozen freezy pops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Didn't the Soylent guy buy some shipping containers to live in and they instantly became trashed because he's a weirdo nerd who doesn't understand how to live?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

opie posted:

Living room furniture includes at least one of the following:
* large cable spool
* milk crate
* plastic patio chair
* bean bag
* futon

I narrowly avoided this. The bean bag is the dog's property and he drags it around the house so it usually isn't in the living room

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 11, 2020

hopes
Apr 29, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

The house smells like cat piss.

Human piss, too.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't the Soylent guy buy some shipping containers to live in and they instantly became trashed because he's a weirdo nerd who doesn't understand how to live?

I think he quickly abandoned it and it became a hobo hangout

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So many vegetable greens it looks like the jolly green giant is your new mom and the local equivalent of scrapple or cracklin bread.

hopes
Apr 29, 2013

XBenedict posted:

Southpoors just have "starch nights" where they eat nothing but powdered mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, and usually some kind or packaged flavored rice.

It's filling and super cheap.
DELICIOUS!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Items made with that nasty acrylic yarn: couch afghan, macrame, weird covers for the toilet paper or kleenex boxes, but it pulls at your heart a little because they were clearly made by a granny or aunt who is a little better off.

All the furniture and countertops have drink rings and cigarette burns.

Animals are neither fixed nor trained, but somehow they are expected to behave when spoken to.

They believe that they are the victims of conspiracies or vendettas.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Barudak posted:

I dont know why your grandma did it but in my case it was a surprisingly effective way of not having to tell kids that person is doing a jail stint and you wanted to keep the space ready for them when they got out.

oh, nah my grandmother is just super attached to all of her kids & grandkids despite the fact that no one has slept over in like 20 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YeahTubaMike posted:

oh, nah my grandmother is just super attached to all of her kids & grandkids despite the fact that no one has slept over in like 20 years

First impression I got was a kid who flew the coop the moment they were able due to lovely probably abusive upbringing and parents in total denial.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
One bedroom is occupied by a male adult, likely in his 20s, who spends all day in the room plays games, watching anime or listening to metal. This person may or may not have finished high school, instead getting a GED but only after months of family arguments.

He does not work. He does not eat meals with family. He just exists.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Haha poor people don't have a spare bedroom much less a house

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Haha poor people don't have a spare bedroom much less a house

Depends on where. Somewhere with cheap property values and a lot of inherited houses, sure. There’s tons of places where the jobs dried up and families just kind of stayed there since they can squeak by with low property taxes and a house that’s been in the family for generations.

You can usually recognize those houses by the faded/worn through in spots linoleum floors and mismatched kitchen cabinets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

i lived in the projects for the first seven years of my life & two other years of my childhood after that, my grandmother has lived in the projects her whole life, so yeah

poor person meals:
-egg noodles with loose corn
-tuna & mayo sandwiches
-dinty moore beef stew with rice
-family outings at KFC as a treat

i still can't tell whether or not hormel chili w/ rice is poor person food tbh

most if not all the poor person house signs i've been privy to have already been mentioned in this thread although there are definitely not enough poor black people posts lol

Tuna salad sandwiches are not a poor person food and they are delicious. I like to slice up some green olives in mine.