Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I tried watching the Fatal Frame run. The runner says multiple times during the first few minutes of the run that the term "camera obscura" is defined as a film camera that can see ghosts. It might be a good run but I just can't take someone seriously who says something that is that drat stupid.

was it a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

didn't sound like it

and i don't understand what the joke would even be there

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Isn’t that literally the name of the camera in fatal frame? Camera obscura or whatever

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the dude said over and over "this game is based on the concept of the camera obscura". the camera obscura is..... literally thousands of years old and has nothing to do with the paranormal nor with modern camera machinery

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's literally the original name of a pinhole camera, those ones that don't have any lens at all but instead the hole is so small that the picture is roughly in focus anyway.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's also the term the game decides to use for it's ghost hunting camera, that is, in game Camera Obscura specifically means a ghost camera. I doubt the runner was trying to talk about actual photography.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's the name of the camera in every Fatal Frame/Project Zero game, yes

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's the name of the camera in every Fatal Frame/Project Zero game, yes

They also say that the game is based on actual events, which also

Just wait until you get to the part where all the photography puns begin...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TeaJay posted:

They also say that the game is based on actual events, which also

Just wait until you get to the part where all the photography puns begin...

Yeah, I know, I saw the run

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I know, I saw the run

Oh yeah, I meant it as a comment for

Keep at it, I think it's a fun run.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Oh yeah, I meant it as a comment for

Keep at it, I think it's a fun run.

Ah, right, no worries

And yeah, it's pretty good. Helps that Fatal Frame hasn't actually aged that bad at all compared to like, RE1 and stuff.

Or god forbid, any Clock Tower

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, right, no worries

And yeah, it's pretty good. Helps that Fatal Frame hasn't actually aged that bad at all compared to like, RE1 and stuff.

Or god forbid, any Clock Tower

The SNES Clock Tower has aged really well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's actually scary too, a really disturbing atmosphere throughout.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm so used to watching GDQ live that when I watch a run on youtube I forget I can pause it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The weird "based on true events" thing isn't part of the marketing for fatal frame in Japan iirc.

Idk though, the whole "human sacrifice but it only works if they're into it too" thing from 2 seems pretty familiar for some reason....

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Actually yeah it's still pretty neat, it's just all the others are uh, not

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That Doom 2016 run was really fun! The commentary, crowd and donations were hilarious given it's a game about fighting Hell demons with the theme of ripping and tearing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think this ADGW was kinda good. I haven't found any quality runs like the Metroid LTTP Randomizer from SGDQ yet but it's all been at least solid - from what ai saw.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dark souls run was good. think IM gonna watch subnautica one cause I've only ever made it 30 minutes into that game but it seemed like something that would get nutso later on

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

dark souls run was good. think IM gonna watch subnautica one cause I've only ever made it 30 minutes into that game but it seemed like something that would get nutso later on

He only barely touched the story side until a little mandatory bit so if you watch you still have plenty to discover on your own.

I think they nailed the story & exploration very well on Subnautica, the both sides support each other nicely. There's always a sense of wonder of finding a new location.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

the Sekiro run was so good that I started playing the game and it turns out the game seems good!!!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

GulagDolls posted:

If you plan on playing Subnautica don't watch the run, the best thing with that game is to go in with as little knowledge of the game as possible. Every other comment about that game is how people wish they could erase their mind and play it again.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ya subnautica is great to go in absolutely blind, if you plan on playing it at all don't watch it first

The run spoils only like 5% of the plot but 100% of the shock and awe

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Trying to watch all the games I missed in order, rather than just skip to the most rec'd ones, it's really hard lol. But if I skip them I might never get back to them :negative:. The Myst runs were pretty cool, short and kinda broken. Only 70 runs till the Real End of GDQ for me!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ambivalent posted:

the Sekiro run was so good that I started playing the game and it turns out the game seems good!!!

That's why it won game of the year.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ambivalent posted:

The game is very good, but the experience varies from person to person. Love Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but I loving hated playing Sekiro.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

i haven’t played a dark souls game since... dark souls, but im enjoying it a lot
i beat my first boss Lady Butterfly on my first try >:3

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Just watched the end of Covertmuffin’s Jedi Academy run and was reminded of Iceplug‘a super wholesome and heartfelt sign-off after his Bomberman run at SGDQ. This may be an unusual request but are there any other similarly emotional moments from this GDQ?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
basically the entire last half of badgers terraria run

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yeah check out the Terraria run, first time it was on it and it's not a game where such a thing would be easy, tons of work obviously went into it but about halfway through everything that could go wrong did, but it was still wholesome and excellent

I hope he comes back to try it again with some refinements, and maybe the devs create an item to change the time of day for him lol, they already talk to the guy apparently and getting Terraria back on SGDQ or the next AGDQ would be fantastic for them

the $500 train at the end for moral support and reports that everybody was cheering him on and saying he did great afterwards was very heartwarming

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

AzureSkys posted:

That Doom 2016 run was really fun! The commentary, crowd and donations were hilarious given it's a game about fighting Hell demons with the theme of ripping and tearing.

Pointing and clicking :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Pointing and clicking :colbert:
If you really stop to think about it, aren't all games just Myst? :thunk:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Too bad about the runner’s lovely comments (“support our troops, rip and tear” and an attempted joke trying to make fun of Greta Thunberg, both coming out of nowhere) souring things a bit, because the run was otherwise really solid.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

XavierGenisi posted:

Too bad about the runner’s lovely comments (“support our troops, rip and tear” and an attempted joke trying to make fun of Greta Thunberg, both coming out of nowhere) souring things a bit, because the run was otherwise really solid.

It was funny how flat the Greta joke fell, though

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Imagine being butthurt that a kid is advocating for not destroying the planet.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

morestuff posted:

It was funny how flat the Greta joke fell, though

I've never seen all the energy just get sucked out of the room like that before

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like calling people soy boys, Greta jokes are a thing that make sense to chuds and no one else but they don't realize that.

Fogie
Mar 1, 2003

coolmatty will continue to coddle shitheads, sit on his hands, and treat human problems like software engineering problems until GDQ loses a 6-7 figure lawsuit when someone wealthy/well-connected gets hurt

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

axelblaze posted:

Like calling people soy boys, Greta jokes are a thing that make sense to chuds and no one else but they don't realize that.

they like to make fun of her because it plays into their dumb outdated stereotype of women as scolds and nags and killjoys, which is dumb because that's really sexist but it's also dumb because really we need a whole lot more people "scolding" and "nagging" about the world literally catching fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

watched the fallout anthology run last night and it was A++, one of the top gdq runs of all time, great energy great commentary fun bugs excellent moments