Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
In about the seventh grade, I had an English teacher drill in to me that "Decimated" means "Reduced by 1/10th". She was insanely strict about this like it was the most important rule in the English language.

Here is the dictionary definition of the word from Merriam-Webster:

quote:

1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
"decimate a regiment"
2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from
"poor as a decimated Cavalier"
3a: to reduce drastically especially in number
"cholera decimated the population"
"Kamieniecki's return comes at a crucial time for a pitching staff that has been decimated by injuries."
b: to cause great destruction or harm to
"firebombs decimated the city"
"an industry decimated by recession"

every time in my life I've heard someone use the word "Decimate" they actually meant "Destroyed" or "Obliterated", but my insane school-teacher has made me feel an itch every single time it is used that way.

Did anyone else end up with this weird affliction? Are there any other words that have a similar effect or that irk you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Annihilate my balls

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Actually yes op

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Impact is a noun, not a verb

Although I guess it could be an adverb w “impacted”

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

obliterate my balls

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I was electrocuted not 10 minutes ago

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I had a teacher shame me for writing "noone" instead of no one so I always correct people that do that. I don't really like that I do it but I still feel the need

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
can a mod please change the tag to something more appropriate

thank you and god bless

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Electrocute implies an execution via electricity, if you are alive you weren't electrocuted :science:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

most americans got their dick decimated

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
Anyone else read something old and see a normally combined word thats written with a space like "where abouts" or "grand father" and hear a really exaggerated pause?

Anyway being pedantic about words sucks and "Acktually, decimate REALLY means..." is among the lamest.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The correct term is flensed dear

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

most americans got their dick decimated

yeah I'm cut. Still feels good when I masturbate

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Michaeldim posted:

Anyway being pedantic about words sucks and "Acktually, decimate REALLY means..." is among the lamest.

it loving sucks its like i have an ache in my knee that can only be alieviated by being a pedantic internet cocksucker i want to personally swhirly

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheAardvark posted:

can a mod please change the tag to something more appropriate

thank you and god bless

Done

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The only time I've found myself genuinely upset over the whole "language changes" thing is with figuratively vs literally. Now there is literally no word that just means literally. So if for example you were telling an anecdote where something very unbelievable happened and you wanted to emphasize that you did mean that thing happened precisely without exaggeration, there's no real word for it anymore because literally is now accepted to have a definition that's the opposite of what it means. You'd have to use some sort of phrase or continued assurances instead of just the word that was intended to mean exactly that.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Decimate my balls.

You heard me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

The only time I've found myself genuinely upset over the whole "language changes" thing is with figuratively vs literally. Now there is literally no word that just means literally. So if for example you were telling an anecdote where something very unbelievable happened and you wanted to emphasize that you did mean that thing happened precisely without exaggeration, there's no real word for it anymore because literally is now accepted to have a definition that's the opposite of what it means. You'd have to use some sort of phrase or continued assurances instead of just the word that was intended to mean exactly that.
genuinely
sincerely
honestly
seriously
really

just use emphasis

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Sir we have literally decimated your rear end tumor

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

FactsAreUseless posted:

genuinely
sincerely
honestly
seriously
really

just use emphasis

I don't think Genuinely fits. I can't hear it any other way than literally. Can you provide an example?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

genuinely
sincerely
honestly
seriously
really

just use emphasis

Yeah as I said you can use phrases or continued assurance (which you'd have to do with those words, like "really, and I mean really blah blah blah"). There's workarounds but it's a reduction in utility of the language to lose a word that was dedicated to meaning just that already.

I mean I guess you could say the same with decimate or w/e but I can't think of many times in my life where I needed a shorthand way of saying something was reduced by 10% whereas literally was a useful word and I've found myself using the phrase "literally, and I do mean literally not figuratively" which feels like it really defeats the purpose of the word.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This thread is Literally triggering me rn, Epic.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Electrocuted is another one that bothers me, it means executed by electricity. Not when your dumbass toddler sticks his finger in a wall socket, that’s just a shock.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Decimate my dick and balls OP, as they comprise 1/10th of my body mass.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Laslow posted:

Electrocuted is another one that bothers me, it means executed by electricity. Not when your dumbass toddler sticks his finger in a wall socket, that’s just a shock.

There is no other word for being struck by electricity. What else can you say?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The beans in this chili are genuinely murdering my rear end in a top hat

E: shocked? Hit by electricity? (Sounds a bit awkward in English but it works in some languages)

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
“He was hung to death”

Well, probably not, no

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SubnormalityStairs posted:

“He was hung to death”

Well, probably not, no

he was hanged to death.
He wasn't a rug

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.

TheAardvark posted:

There is no other word for being struck by electricity. What else can you say?

Electrified?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

He was hung, too, Death

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Haha I was just thinking about this earlier today. I like that it literally means reduce by a tenth but it's mostly used to figuratively mean reduced to a tenth

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

SubnormalityStairs posted:

“He was hung to death”

Well, probably not, no

See I feel like this is one of the ones I don't care about. It's obvious what someone means and so it feels like the only reason to take a stand over it is to be snooty. Like if you really want to stretch it you can attest that to hang someone is a specific thing and hanged is the past tense of that whereas hung could imply many other ways of suspending someone so the extra word adds clarity but I dunno I've never found myself reading or listening to someone using "hung" improperly and wondering whether they were referring to an execution or not.

Whereas "I was so surprised I literally fell out my chair" is now ambiguous, did they fall out of their chair or are they using a literary device to add emphasis to their surprise? Who knows.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ArbitraryC posted:

It's also really hard to express that, while you don't care very much about something, there is still a further degree to which you could not care about it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cryomancer posted:

Electrified?

Yes! Which is also another conundrum word, an audience can be "electrified!" to show a lot of emotional energy.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pandemonium is running wild over here in Bethlehem. (NJ)

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My step dad Steve literally told me I can't drink any more mountain dew or he'll cancel my Xbox live Gold Pass even though it's my mom's credit card

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's also really hard to express that, while you don't care very much about something, there is still a further degree to which you could not care about it.

See now this one is one where I can easily understand the meaning the writer/speaker intended to convey either way, but I still think they're kind of dumb for using the wrong one. Your joke here, that "I could care less" is a valid expression meant to portray that you care little but are intentionally leaving wiggle room for something you might care even less about is not how anyone uses the phrase and instead they really should be going for "I couldn't care less" to appropriately portray their lack of interest. I mean the phrase is already intended to be taken in a figurative sense as it's obvious there are other things you aren't even aware of that by default win the competition over topics you care the least about so at that point you might as well use the phrase that makes more grammatical sense in getting across your dismissal and as the person reading/hearing the phrase I will assume the failure to do so is because you simply don't realize the mistake.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

My step dad Steve literally told me I can't drink any more mountain dew or he'll cancel my Xbox live Gold Pass even though it's my mom's credit card

turn sixteen and get a job or get out

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
julius caesar's army decided to be a bunch of assholes and mutinied. (actually he ran them way too hard and they probably had good reason, idk it was loving really long ago) anyway, he way super in gaul or some poo poo, so he wanted to kill them all but still needed an army to not die. so instead he killed one out of every ten men, and thus decimated his own army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bea Nanner posted:

julius caesar's army decided to be a bunch of assholes and mutinied. (actually he ran them way too hard and they probably had good reason, idk it was loving really long ago) anyway, he way super in gaul or some poo poo, so he wanted to kill them all but still needed an army to not die. so instead he killed one out of every ten men, and thus decimated his own army.

this is history, you guys should listen to this guy