Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

A 10% loss hardly seems like decimation. Your teacher was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I don't believe you and I think you're lying

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

'Bout to decimate the contents of my intestine

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I don’t like when lazy professional writers use “infamous” and “penultimate” like they’re fancier versions of “famous” and “last”.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

I don’t like when lazy professional writers use “infamous” and “penultimate” like they’re fancier versions of “famous” and “last”.

These things aren’t the same my dude. No wonder you are confused.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah, that’s my point.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Decimate my balls.

I have ten balls.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Dinosaurs! posted:

Infamous

https://youtu.be/0b6_i_eSgR8

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
yes, this actually drives me insane. thank you for exposing this problem, op

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You don’t feel nauseous, you idiot: you feel nauseated. It’s really great correcting people who’re about to hurl on the difference.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

every language pedant is unbelievably lame to their very core.

People who hate being wrong are the worst.

Related to decimate, I sure do wish they had updated the months September through December when they added August and July. Absolute nonsense.

December should be Duodecember.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't abide this hyperpedantic bullshit, especially when it clashes with actual educated usage. From Garner's Modern English Usage:

I taught writing for 11 years. Because most Americans no longer get a direct grammar education, my students would show up with a mix of actually incorrect usage along with the weird wrong-rear end pet peeves of their most unpleasant English teachers.

End a goddamn sentence with a preposition. Start one with a coordinating conjunction. These usages have both been correct for hundreds of years.

Your teacher was an rear end in a top hat who was wrong. Don't be an rear end in a top hat who's wrong.

edit: not you, op

some pedant I'm imagining (I hate that pedant so much)

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 6, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i would never with a preposition a sentence end

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I end all my sentences with propositions :heysexy:

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
The archon from starcraft except he adds "my balls" to the end of every unit response

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my life for my balls

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

You think that's bad, you don't even know the horrors of being centimated or millimated.

I imagine the feeling is akin to losing something but you can't for the life of you remember what it was.

DandyLion fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 6, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gigamated :coolfish:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It's descriptive vs. prescriptive education. "Here's how a word is commonly used" vs. "Here's how it SHOULD be used, because there's RULES and poo poo."

The truth is that a lot of these "rules" were made up over a hundred years ago and are woefully outdated. Things change over time, especially (a living) language. So "decimated" has moved away from its classical roots, and now describes an enormous toll of some sort. Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

"Literally" is the biggest linguistic loss of recent times, although I'd argue that "entitled" isn't that far behind. Entitlement is a real concept that serves an important role in clarifying legitimate ownership, collectable debt, or expectation, and in half a decade it has been made to mean the exact opposite.

If someone pays the asking price for a ticket to an amusement park, they are entitled entrance to that park based on the agreed upon conditions. If the park tries to kick that person out at 8:00pm and the ticket noted unconditionally that closing time was at 9:00pm, that person is entitled to the extra hour that they would be demanding. However, usage is such now that if a patron got kicked out at 9:00pm and whined about how he or she should be able to stay longer because their child didn't get to ride the ferris wheel, people would accuse that person of being an "entitled rear end in a top hat." This is the opposite of what that word means. People should at least be qualifying the word with something like "that falsely-entitled rear end in a top hat" or something else that identifies that the rear end in a top hat is not literally (hah) due the thing that they are demanding.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Awesome:
(colloquial) Excellent, exciting, remarkable. "That was awesome!", "Awesome, dude!"
(dated) Causing awe or terror

Awe:
Old English ege, æge (“fear, terror, dread”)

Awful:
(obsolete) Terror-stricken.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just decimated my bowels OP

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I correct everybody who uses the word decimate incorrectly. Yeah, I’m that guy.

I also accept it if it’s used to mean “reduced by 90%”.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Chinatown posted:

I know your pain, brother; I also hate it when I take one of those little poos and it feels like there is a whole bunch more dooks piled up in my colon, too scared to make the plunge

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chinatown posted:

That means you still have nine shits on the way op. Stay strong

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The actual meaning of decimation seems to be a quantum leap from the popular usage.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

That means you still have nine shits on the way op. Stay strong

Sound awesome cant wait.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The latin word was decimāre, clearly not the same as decimate. Suck it pedants.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Thinking about it a bit more, I believe a lot of incorrect usage of "literally" could be corrected with syntax changes. A lot of times, people seem to mean "literally" to apply to a word that actually deserves it but accidentally drop it somewhere else in their sentence.

"He just dropped off a million packages literally a minute ago," makes it obvious that the speaker is using hyperbole regarding the amount of packages delivered as well as indicates the exact time of the delivery. However, many people seem so antsy to get that "literally" modifier out there that they dump it in their sentence at the first opportunity and change the meaning: "He literally just dropped off a million packages a minute ago."

While anyone with a brain cell would know that the speaker doesn't actually mean a literal million packages were delivered, they would still lose the clarification of the timeframe because the speaker's usage no longer indicated "literally" was meant to be applied to "a minute ago." I don't think the word is completely lost yet, but it'd definitely help if people paid a little attention to how they ordered their sentences.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I have a Pavlovian response to correct mixups between "less" and "fewer."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I have a Pavlovian response to correct mixups between "less" and "fewer."

Try being less of a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU