Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote Sandwolf let's try to play COD sometime ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't have any super strong opinions about the last nine pages but I want to point out that Kash is wrong, this isn't a regular Mafia game it is a race against the other thread. In a normal mafia game you are just playing against the other faction, in this one we are playing against an entirely different mafia game. So things like preserving playercounts and minimizing casualties matter just as much as actually hitting the spies in our thread. For this reason I think Zero's concern for us accidentally hitting two-for-one executions is pro-town, even if I'm not convinced the best way to do this is to out servants early.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I don’t care about the lurker gun because I expect anyone who gets it to fire it. Kill all lurkers.

This is incredibly bad advice for this game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

See my post about how we are playing against the other thread. Every town death puts us behind. Lurkers can still be useful in battles provided they get their actions in.

This isn't a normal game where you'd want to clear lurkers to narrow the suspect pool.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Okay, so can you explain how exactly we are playing against the other thread? Does that mean the scum in here are Red Faction and the scum there are Black Faction and technically “on our team”? Or is there a third faction of scum, simultaneously to us competing against the other thread?

If we eliminated our scum at LYLO vs them lunching all scum in a row - how would that impact us negatively?

If this is anything like other soldiers games the win condition is that the other thread loses their leader first. So the longer we can put that off the better, that means the more bodies we have to put in battle the better.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amnistar posted:

I guess the decrease of town players = more likely scum get into combat

but it's not really a race against the other thread.

It absolutely is. The sooner we can get rid of our spies, the sooner we can stop voting people out.

If it makes you feel any better we are in a battle of attrition with the other thread.... but my point stands, we are competing against another game, so we should think about things like preserving our numbers.

Kashuno posted:

We are in a race, because if they eliminate all scum first they have more bodies for battles.That said, I still think it is better to trim lurkers rather than not, because if the scum is lurking then they can go into battle and screw us up AND waste time as we go on. If we are 3-4 bodies less for battles but have no scum left in our ranks, we are much better off than the other thread.

Shooting scum is good, but killing people for reasons unrelated to alignment is not. We could always just vote out scummy lurkers instead of using extra kills on them for example.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Vote the scummy lurkers out instead of free kill them is a wild take

Again this isn't a normal game where killing lurkers has no consequence. A lurking town player can be a casualty in battle instead of an extra kill.

In a normal game the worst that happens if you kill too many town lurkers is lylo comes a day or two early. In this game if lylo comes a day or two early it can mean an outright loss even if we execute perfectly at that point.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

In what way did I quote something and then disappear?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yikes dude talk about a fast backpedal. You basically just made some poo poo up for that last spot.

##vote Amnistar

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

So why even post it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amnistar posted:

It's supposed to be 3 people? I feel good about the first 2, last spot I don't have anyone that I feel strong about.
It's not supposed to be anything, you didn't have to post a three suspicion list if you didn't actually have three suspicions. Especially when the third suspicion is so bogus it took one post for you to disavow it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amnistar posted:

It looked like, based on snooze posting her own 3 person list, that we were doing the, submit 3+ suspicions by halfway through the day thing that the other thread was doing, so I was putting up my current list?

Okay so why not even try to defend your "current list" instead of crumbling like a wet napkin at the slightest breeze of resistance?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amnistar posted:

Because spot 3 was weak as a wet napkin and I'm happy to cop to it?

The Ninth Layer posted:

So why even post it.

Seriously it's one thing if you have a weak third spot... but then why make up a reason you can't even justify? Why list me at all if the very next post you're gonna say "oh I was actually just picking a name at random"?

What bothers me here is I don't think you went back to figure out a third suspicion, you just came up with my name based on some vague impression of something you think happened. So to me it looks like you're scum who did the three names thing to fit in with what you thought town players are supposed to be doing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lux Animus posted:

The Ninth Layer also started their posting in the thread with a vote for you, Sandwolf. I'm wondering what that's about!

It was a joke vote because he's invited me to play call of duty a few times but the timing hasn't worked out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think a town player would have either looked back at the thread when trying to come up with a third suspicion, or looked back at the thread after the third suspicion was questioned. I don't think Amnistar did either.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

why... why couldn't... why couldn't a town player do that as well... why... why is that only scum behavior...

It's scum behavior to post bullshit suspicions that oh actually you meant a completely different suspicion but anyway you didn't really mean that suspicion because you were just guessing.

Town players could come up with three names on gut or whatever. Amni's third suspicion isn't gut, it's BS that he can't stand by for even one post.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

This is exactly the same line of “man that doesn’t make sense to me but it’s so dug in” logic that Amni has in Christmas game and it feels townie to me.
Could you elaborate on this? If anything it seems like this situation is the exact opposite of that one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

I mean on the last two pages or what we I’ve seen him shooting from the hip making bold calls and not giving a gently caress about perception and also potentially being real wrong. That doesn’t strike you as his entire play in Christmas?

Not really no, you would have to point out to me what you see as bold calls.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote Quid

This vote is mostly gut, I feel like Quid's posting is coming off as very detached in this game. I don't really get the sense he has much invested in the opinions he's sharing. Such as posts like this one:

Quidthulhu posted:

In fact unless there was a direct I NEED A LIST IMMEDIATELY FROM EVERYONE request I would examine the initial people rushing to post a list and examine their motivations, especially if they’re combining them with flinging poo poo at anyone hesitant to do so without a fully developed game day to draw from.

where Quid is talking about something he thinks is vaguely scummy but not really naming names or following up. He hasn't voted anyone yet even in his 2 penny case. His posting just comes off as complacent in a way that I'm not used to seeing from him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I agree with Steak, and don't see Lux as all that scummy. He's kinda dumb and not very confident but I don't see anything that makes me think he's faking it or lying.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't usually like to call posts or posters forced but that's very much how Quid's case/vote on 2 penny reads to me. His case of just quoting a bunch of posts and calling them bad looks a lot like someone starting with a conclusion (2 penny is scum) and working back to show it. But then you would expect the vote to punctuate a main case, instead of limping out at the end. It reads like Quid was working himself up to vote 2 penny, there's no conviction behind any of it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

if you really want to fight say "PUT ME IN COACH"

Prefer front.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

you need to follow all the instructions

PUT ME IN COACH
front

Snooze Cruise posted:

i would like to know everyone's preferred position + how much they want to fight
if don't want to fight say say "oh no"
if prefer not to fight say "no thanks"
if no preference say "wakka wakka"
if you prefer to fight say "let me at em"
if you really want to fight say "PUT ME IN COACH"

quote this post when you post ur preferred position and how much you want to fight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

So yeah, I definitely did go back to see if my gut feels were accurate, but I didn’t fabricate a case around a fake idea. I had an idea and I found evidence to support it.

Compare to me having an idea about Mega’s megapost and then changing my mind after reviewing the evidence. I could have fabricated something there and didn’t.

Believe me, I’m not as good at scum as y’all are making me out to be. I’m actually quite bad :sun:

It doesn't take a ton of skill to go as scum "uhh I should probably case somebody, this guy might work," click on posts and quote a bunch of them. That's not some master plan or genius play, it's a fairly basic way to play scum if you're not outright lurking.

To be clear I'm not accusing you of being good at scum, I'm accusing you of forcing out content.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##unvote I actually did think Quid's response yesterday was pretty good aside from the bits where he insisted he was an easy target or playing too well to be scum, and feel a bit better about him.

I'm still suspicious of Amni who I feel has been all over the place today and has expressed suspicion of too many people. I think it's notable he has more or less abandoned his list suspicions to jump on the Lux bandwagon. However I concede he's probably not the best vote today and that we should be looking at someone who doesn't have four pages of content posts in this thread.

Among the people who have votes on them I think my preference is 2 penny > Kash > Lux. 2penny has pinged my gut a few times and I agree with what Kash said about how Lux is an easy pick for scum to coast a vote on. Kash said a few things I would characterize as bad Soldiers strategy and has been prickly but I mostly like how he's handled the attention directed at him. I said earlier that Lux just seems green to me, I would need to see a real case here and I don't feel anyone's made one. I'd like to reread all three of these people but at the moment I think the only one I'd have any confidence voting for is 2penny.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We have 6-7 posters in this game that I would characterize as very low content bordering on nothing of substance, such as:

Toalpaz posted:

having 11 posts in thread then immediately responding to a post mentioning your name as if you were notified via scum chat.

I don't know about scum chat (do scum really do this?) but I do think he looks like scum complacently skimming a thread for mentions of their own name.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

To be clear I was referring to Hunt11 and not Toalpaz even though I quoted Toalpaz.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Votecount for Day 1

Kashuno (6): MegaZeroX, MegaZeroX, Snooze Cruise, MegaZeroX, Tommu, King Burgundy, CCKeane, Ruggan, Tommu, Amnistar
2 penny bottle imp (3): Lux Animus, Kashuno, Quidthulhu
Lux Animus (3): Sandwolf, Toalpaz, 2 penny bottle imp, Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong, Toalpaz, Tommu, Amnistar, Toalpaz, Toalpaz, Amnistar
Hunt11 (2): Amnistar, Amnistar, Jonathan Fisk, Toalpaz
Toalpaz (1): Mr. Steak, Mr. Humalong, Mr. Steak
Jonathan Fisk (1): dmboogie
Amnistar (1): The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, Hunt11
Snooze Cruise (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
Mr. Steak (0): Kashuno, Kashuno
Mr. Humalong (0): Snooze Cruise, Amnistar, MegaZeroX, Snooze Cruise, MegaZeroX, Amnistar
Anidav (0): Amnistar, Amnistar
MegaZeroX (0): MegaZeroX, MegaZeroX, Kashuno, CCKeane, 2 penny bottle imp, 2 penny bottle imp, CCKeane, Kashuno
Quidthulhu (0): The Ninth Layer, Toalpaz, Toalpaz, The Ninth Layer
dmboogie (0): Kashuno, Amnistar, Amnistar, Kashuno
Sandwolf (0): Kashuno, Kashuno, The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, Tommu, Tommu

Not Voting (4): Anidav, chaoslord, Mr. Steak, The Ninth Layer

With 21 alive, it's 11 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 07th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST -- that's in about 12 hours, 20 minutes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Amnistar has voted for six different people today, wow! Really don't like him jumping from the Lux wagon to the Kash one

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This whole conversation around Kash is unproductive. I think it could probably be resolved by Kash just giving a sentence or two summary of things he already said but we probably don't need to talk about it for two pages.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. Steak posted:

semi-agree, but legit every time kash posts i feel so much worse about him. its like he's trying to act as scummy as possible, maybe to make us 2nd guess ourselves? but i operate by occam's razor in mafia, so i just think its scummy

His attitude kinda sucks but he's not wrong that he has posted content. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to ask him to refresh us on why his top suspicions are the way they are but I also don't think it's unreasonable for him to say "they're the same as what I already posted."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

The whole no newb voting day 1 seems counterproductive at best, deliberately trying to set up a quick kill on the second day at worst.

Fwiw this is a fairly common general policy among players here, forums mafia can be a pretty intimidating game for new players to pick up on and it sucks for new players to get voted out early while they are still getting the hang of the game, so a lot of people like to give newbies some space even if they seem scummy.

I do agree with you that Amni comes off like he's setting up to vote you tomorrow regardless of what happens which undercuts the whole premise of giving newbies time to get established.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Literally all we are asking for is some motivation for any part of the list

Given you have already made a case for me and Steak, and yourself and Snooze are obvious, that gives 17 more placements here that we need motivations for. If you don't want to post them, then you shouldn't have made the list. If you are town no one will care about your list after you died since all this gives is bad reads

I disagree with what you are saying here and feel players should be able to give a general barometer of what they are seeing without putting in three hours of work to justify it. Content-less lists are indeed bad but I feel Kash has said enough about who he thinks is scummy and I'm not terribly interested in the nuances of why he's unsure about five people. In my estimation he's probably in the top half of people who have offered substantive opinions.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

I'd like you to actually make one. Quid has made a case IIRC. I don't remember you making one, and I can't look at your post history right now as I'm about to leave the house

He quoted it on this very page.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote 2 penny bottle imp I'd still like to do a reread but I think this is the best vote of the current top three by a good margin.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Hello, this post from TNL jumped out at me as super weird:

This was the first !!! I had, as it comes directly after Amni has...moved on to Kashuno.

It's a dropping of an opinion on Amni that feels divorced from what's happening in the thread, which strikes me as strange since TNL seems to be reading. I don't know why he'd open with this when Amni isn't even doing it anymore.

I was talking about his earlier vote and how he dropped his list to go for the Lux bandwagon, it was something I'd noticed the night before. I don't think I saw he'd moved his vote again when I made that post, but in any case he's just jumping onto another bandwagon there. No sign of consistent suspicions from him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I also think it's kind of unfair to dock me for missing a vote that happened four minutes ahead of my three paragraph post.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Also I change my mind
Anidav, Mega, or Hunt11
not that i think kash is suddenly town now, but -

I've got a null read on Anidav and would need to see a case before I went this way. I've mostly liked his contributions to the thread and the only thing that stands out as a concern to me is that he hasn't voted yet.

I'm more wary of Mega than I was at the start of the game and haven't agreed with many of his suspicions but I still don't think scum pulls the gambit he did at the start of the game. I'm not terribly interested in "testing the gambit" here either. He seems to be engaged in conversations which is a step above many others.

I wouldn't be happy voting a brand new player out so early but I might make an exception for a Soldiers game. Having said that I think Hunt11 is more or less a lurker vote, a quick look at their post history shows at least some reads and nothing that jumps out to me as blatantly scummy. I feel this is a shot in the dark.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its just the same stuff that bothers me with Kash, the focus on kinda writing lines? But unlike kash they aren't like also playing an abrasive character with it.

Yeah, Anidav has just sort of been around, I can see an element of ticket-punching to look busy without a real thrust to it. IDK how much of that is the timezone difference of showing up to the thread and posting when a lot of others aren't around though. It's harder to get into a game when people aren't engaging with your posts, I feel that's a bit of what's happening to Anidav where he's posting but doesn't really have anyone to talk to.

Looking at the post more closely, I'm not sure that scum would make a town case on Kash for example. Sandwolf/Steak/Tommu/Fisk seems like an okay scum list for this day, it highlights some people that I do feel haven't been talked about much or have been under the radar. The biggest problem with Anidav's post history imo is that it's missing a vote.

I guess I could see Anidav as scum on a gut level but actually looking at the posts more closely I like what's there enough to not want to do this day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That's a 2 for 1 I think I could live with honestly.

Amnistar posted:

And also my master

What's your impression of 2penny in mason chat?