Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Btw has anyone seen this 2,5 hour video about how Bleach is good actually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

macabresca posted:

Is that the one thats basically moaning about Super Eyepatch Wolf's video? I put it on as background noise while gaming and shut it off after he started explained that 'Ack-tually having the background for every fight be a white void is good for emphasis!'

It was not a convincing thesis.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1241071583239667713?s=20

I'm not seeing the dude, so maybe....?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Roth posted:

I dropped the Bleach manga at the end Fullbringer arc, but you guys are making this arc sound so trashy I'm going to have to actually watch this now.

There's some really cool stuff but also some incredibly stupid stuff. Kubo was apparently producing it under poor conditions, so I guess the hope would be that an animated adaptation could smooth out some of the jank.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Nephthys posted:

Is that the one thats basically moaning about Super Eyepatch Wolf's video? I put it on as background noise while gaming and shut it off after he started explained that 'Ack-tually having the background for every fight be a white void is good for emphasis!'

It was not a convincing thesis.

It's that one, it isn't very good. The first part he blames Super Eyepatch Wolf's fan video as the reason that folks think Bleach sucked. The author frames the video as he's going to be weighing both sides and eventually giving his opinion. This doesn't occur as he's intent on defending the series. The second half of the video is just a synopsis of every single arc.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

man they made her boobs really big for the anime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maybe Kubo made her boobs really big for the serialization.

It IS Kubo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kubo respects all sizes.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kubo sometimes draws flat women (who are also short) to contrast with all the giant tiddies and I respect that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm curious if BtW is going to continue off the one-shot chapter, or if it's going to be like Bleach's prototype chapter and Kubo will shuffle everything around when the series starts proper. I'm hoping the latter: even ignoring unfunny horny guy BtW was kind of a whirlwind of disjointed ideas that could work but they need to be organized way better.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

I'm curious if BtW is going to continue off the one-shot chapter, or if it's going to be like Bleach's prototype chapter and Kubo will shuffle everything around when the series starts proper. I'm hoping the latter: even ignoring unfunny horny guy BtW was kind of a whirlwind of disjointed ideas that could work but they need to be organized way better.

So...typical Kubo?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering that the oneshot was like two years ago, I think that there is almost certainly going to be some differences as ideas develop more. Like I said, the one-shot seemed to prop up the horny dude as a main character along the two witches and if he was here in that context again, don't you think he'd be somewhere on the key art?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kubo can tell a good story if he's given prep time as the first act of the TYBW showed.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering that the oneshot was like two years ago, I think that there is almost certainly going to be some differences as ideas develop more. Like I said, the one-shot seemed to prop up the horny dude as a main character along the two witches and if he was here in that context again, don't you think he'd be somewhere on the key art?

If you were taking the basic ideas of the oneshot and turning them into a longer-running arc I think horny dude would make more sense as an antagonist since his whole thing is that he was the human best friend of the tragic villain character. Who was supposed to be a pretty decent guy aside from the fact he, you know, wanted to devour a witch.

Dunno if I should bother with spoilers for a 2 year old oneshot but whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I'm not gonna spoiler this, the oneshot is two years old and like 40 pages, go read it in five minutes and then come back if you care. :v:

The most interesting plot point of the entire oneshot is that horny's friend died ten years ago but his corpse was subsequently possessed by a dragon, and that dragon was - aside from wanting to devour a witch - pretty chill and just lived a normal life for a decade while continuing to be friends with horny dude. Hell he was even willing to spare Noel for his friend if he got to eat Spangle. Kinda goes against the whole "dragons and normal humans can't come into contact or the dragons go apeshit and kill everybody because ~negative energy~. Meanwhile the witches have a pretty black and white moral code and will just stone cold kill anybody from the normal world who sees a dragon, even if it was through no fault of their own.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
How does BTW tie into Bleach?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
on the last page there's a sign that says soul society west branch. a dramatic last page reveal that doesn't actually make sense is purestrain kubo.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Shouldve done a series about the american Soul Society where the Reapers are cowboys with magic guns :clint:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1241169076887547904?s=19

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Well there goes that horny guy, so much for that theory. Otherwise it looked kind of...underwhelming?

Edit: You can also read Burn the Witch for free right now if you missed it back in 2018: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/burn-the-witch

TheHan fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 21, 2020

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

macabresca posted:

I started it months ago and only made it five minutes in when the guy didn't actually have any really interesting to say beyond his blind fanboyism.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

macabresca posted:

Dude is a huge Bleach fan, it's interesting I think. I'm an hour into it and he points out some good things so far. Namely he's stressing the criticism that Should Society arc and Huenco Mundo arc are too similar.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just read BtW and it's quite fun. Horny guy would actually be a really neat character if he wasn't so horny. :|

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MJeff posted:

Just read BtW and it's quite fun. Horny guy would actually be a really neat character if he wasn't so horny. :|

The killer dragon that was pretending to be horny guy's friend was a way better character.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The events in the PV are plainly different from the ones in the oneshot at the least.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

But are they going to kiss

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Considering the precedents of Chizuru and Soi Fon, I'm guessing they will not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Christ I forgot about Chizuru.

Remember that one friend of Ichigo's who basically had no character traits or even dialogue whatsoever, but also threw a Molotov at Aizen that one time? That was kinda neat.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

MJeff posted:

Yeah reading it again it’s got some appeal, his friend’s dragon design is slick and the bit where he just thinks his dog is sleeping got a genuine laugh outta me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

Remember that one friend of Ichigo's who basically had no character traits or even dialogue whatsoever, but also threw a Molotov at Aizen that one time? That was kinda neat.

chapter -0.5 implies he's a spy i think.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

chapter -0.5 implies he's a spy i think.

What

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

macabresca posted:

I left a nice comment on it but every time I actually think about it, it says next to nothing of value for the entire back end of it. Eyepatch Wolf agreed with most of the criticisms of his video at the front and I think that colored my perception of it, but every time I thought back to it I could only think of holes in its thesis. I think it's biggest problem is being too long in the tooth.
e: and that it would be entirely impenetrable without having full knowledge of the series beforehand. I think he describes Acidwire as Orihime's Brother without ever giving the context of him becoming a hollow, that really stuck with me for some reason.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 21, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I love how Eyepatch Wolf always sounds like he's on the verge of tears. Really sells the tragedy of what became of Bleach

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Electric Phantasm posted:

The killer dragon that was pretending to be horny guy's friend was a way better character.

The whole "wait, this was playing out like he was gonna live, though :stare:" bit got a laugh out of me cause I thought the same thing! But yeah, dragon who inhabits a 7-year old and then just lives out their life for 10 years is way too interesting to just immediately die like that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

I seem to remember it being implied that dude had a lot going on underneath the surface and he was definitely one of the more interesting of that group.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheKingofSprings posted:

I seem to remember it being implied that dude had a lot going on underneath the surface and he was definitely one of the more interesting of that group.

iirc nothing really came out of it but he was just surprisingly competent and insightful a lot of the time.
explaining him would ruin him though

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

macabresca posted:

I checked this video out because I was curious what arguments would the guy make but when he just started summarizing the whole series and being like' Ichigo is a very developped character' I figured that it's a bit below my procratination standards. I just skipped to conclusions and don't even remember what his point was other than Bleach good haters bad

And yeah, BtW is like a microcosm of everything wrong with Kubo's writing. I wasn't expecting much going in, just stylish characters and maybe some cool ideas like in the beginning of Bleach, and I was still disappointed :raise:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

he had no time for ghost fights. there were too many married women to sleep with.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

TheHan posted:

Hmm on the one hand the worst part of Blood War was how long everything dragged on. On the other hand is everything else that was bad about it.

But you know what this means ANOTHER BLEACH OST :dance:

Entirely new studio and director has me a little scared that it wont have the same feeling of older Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

that kids secretly waver velvet.