Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thoren posted:

How do you guys figure the Fullbring arc was originally supposed to end?

With Tsukishima's suspenders being the final boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kild posted:

I think they only did it because he was contacted by Xcution or whatever the Fullbringers were called. lol

Honestly, this is probably the actual reason. Soul Society won't give a poo poo about you until you do something they deem bad.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Thoren posted:

How do you guys figure the Fullbring arc was originally supposed to end?

Honestly considering Bleach's history I cannot imagine any scenario other than "the popular poll characters show up and save the day"

Doesn't help that I cannot remember what Xcution's motivation was other than they wanted Ichigo's power

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Honestly considering Bleach's history I cannot imagine any scenario other than "the popular poll characters show up and save the day"

Doesn't help that I cannot remember what Xcution's motivation was other than they wanted Ichigo's power

Ginjo ultimately wanted revenge on soul society and I think Ukitake in particular for loving him over and killing his friends. I think Tsukishima and Giriko knew and were on board, the others I think were just kind of in the organization but would not necessarily be involved in that plan.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ginjou could absorb powers so he and Tsukushima concocted a hugely elaborate scenario to gain Ichigo's trust, unlock his latent fullbring power (which they knew he had because ???) then betray and steal Ichigo's powers so Ginjou could get strong enough to take revenge on SS for betraying him when he was a substitute shinigami. Also the only ones who were in on this were Tsukushima and Ginjou, everybody else was just a dumb rube those two were using, IIRC.

Also in the LN's it turns out Ginjou is actually really loving important because he, like Ichigo, is part-everything and so was also a backup Soul King option.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Ginjo being able to absorb powers makes him a hard counter to Yhwach, doesn’t it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Ginjo being able to absorb powers makes him a hard counter to Yhwach, doesn’t it?

yhwach: "no it doesn't"

*ginjo coughs blood and falls over dead*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Still not as bad as Madara.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

Ginjou could absorb powers so he and Tsukushima concocted a hugely elaborate scenario to gain Ichigo's trust, unlock his latent fullbring power (which they knew he had because ???) then betray and steal Ichigo's powers so Ginjou could get strong enough to take revenge on SS for betraying him when he was a substitute shinigami. Also the only ones who were in on this were Tsukushima and Ginjou, everybody else was just a dumb rube those two were using, IIRC.

Also in the LN's it turns out Ginjou is actually really loving important because he, like Ichigo, is part-everything and so was also a backup Soul King option.

They knew his background. And anyone with a parent who encountered hollows has the power to fullbring.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

chumbler posted:

Still not as bad as Madara.

all uchihas are clowns

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They just love so much their brain breaks and they become jokerfied. This is canon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
For those of you who never got that far into Naruto, he's not even joking, that is literally canon. The Uchiha all turn evil because they love people too much. They are literally all Anakin Skywalker

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Is it possible to learn such power?"

"Not from a ninja."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the solution sasuke found was to marry a woman he didn't love while completely avoiding his daughter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kild posted:

They knew his background. And anyone with a parent who encountered hollows has the power to fullbring.

I think this got retconned in the LN so that all Fullbringers have a tiny piece of Soul King in them or something, and that piece actually ends up attracting Hollows and causing those attacks in the first place.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well I'm glad between Karakura town and a the Gotei 13 they had all the pieces of the Soul King.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

yhwach: "no it doesn't"

*ginjo coughs blood and falls over dead*

No one expects Lloyd Royd

not even Tite Kubo

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I’ve changed my stance on Fullbringer arc. The first few chapters are really good, they just needed a bit more room to breathe after Aizen’s defeat. An epilogue to the Aizen arc would have been ideal.

But come on, this interaction is absolutely great:

Also Kubo really likes the “lazy and casual but insanely strong” archetype. Urahara starts that way, then we meet Kyoraku, then we get Starrk, then Nakk Levarr.

Also why did Kubo make Zommari the Espada and Pepe the Sternritter both black dudes with intense religious fervor and the ability to take control of things through the power of love?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I recall pacing being most of Bleach's problem back in the day anyway - we have the glacial pacing to thank for the Bount arc after all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

All of Bleach's arcs start real strong it's around the back half where most arcs just kinda fizzle out.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Here's an intriguing premise, and a bunch of characters with cool designs.
Okay now that that's setup, all 100 new characters must engage in sequential single combat with the 100 pre-existing characters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lib and let die posted:

I recall pacing being most of Bleach's problem back in the day anyway - we have the glacial pacing to thank for the Bount arc after all.

I remember reading Bleach month to month for close to a decade and it was... rough.

Electric Phantasm posted:

All of Bleach's arcs start real strong it's around the back half where most arcs just kinda fizzle out.

I'd argue Soul Society is the opposite: it starts off as a pretty slow burn with Ichigo kinda getting bogged down with the Ginjou stuff and the gate guardians, and everybody splitting off to fight dumb low level fights. It only really starts picking up at Ichigo vs Renji and from then on gets better and better culminating with the best fight of the arc. It also ends with the Aizen reveal and him curbstomping half the captains on his way out the door which was a phenomenal teaser for the next arc.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sydin posted:

I remember reading Bleach month to month for close to a decade and it was... rough.

I'd argue Soul Society is the opposite: it starts off as a pretty slow burn with Ichigo kinda getting bogged down with the Ginjou stuff and the gate guardians, and everybody splitting off to fight dumb low level fights. It only really starts picking up at Ichigo vs Renji and from then on gets better and better culminating with the best fight of the arc. It also ends with the Aizen reveal and him curbstomping half the captains on his way out the door which was a phenomenal teaser for the next arc.

Stopping Ichigo's music dead cold is one of the greatest moments in fighting anime history imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

I did say most arcs.

Still wishing Uryu vs. Hitsugaya happened like in the 2nd OP.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Electric Phantasm posted:

I did say most arcs.

Still wishing Uryu vs. Hitsugaya happened like in the 2nd OP.

I think my favorite moment in the entire manga is Ishida becoming a loving jedi

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lib and let die posted:

Stopping Ichigo's music dead cold is one of the greatest moments in fighting anime history imo

It was a super good way to make a jarring moment for the viewer

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Arrancar arc is mostly great up until the end of the last Grimmjow fight. Around then is when both Chad and Ishida are suddenly unceremoniously chumped and the entire thing very abruptly shifts gears into garbage

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

RevolverDivider posted:

The Arrancar arc is mostly great up until the end of the last Grimmjow fight. Around then is when both Chad and Ishida are suddenly unceremoniously chumped and the entire thing very abruptly shifts gears into garbage

Ichigo just deciding to suddenly win was awful. “I can’t get hurt anymore” was so dumb. The fight against Ulquiorra was bad too, just taking turns powering up while Origime screams Ichigo’s name. Cool designs and a couple cool moments, but the fight sucks overall.

A ton of cool moments in fake Karakura though. Everything with Barragan. Everything with Alon, everything with Yamamoto. Tosen and Komamura’s relationship, Tosen and Hisagi. Izuru’s shikai as a guillotine. Everything to do with Gin until Aizen no sells his attack and thus makes everything about Gin dumb.

Gin got done as dirty as Tatsuki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gin was treated better than 95% of Bleach characters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gin had to die because against anybody besides Aizen or Yhwach his incredible ability to actually lie about what his power does would allow him to win against anybody else in universe.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
It was a pretty great segment when Gin tells Ichigo 'yeah my shikai is 50 times the speed of sound' or whatever and Ichigo has to reason out how hosed he is and then why he actually isn't

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zwingley posted:

It was a pretty great segment when Gin tells Ichigo 'yeah my shikai is 50 times the speed of sound' or whatever and Ichigo has to reason out how hosed he is and then why he actually isn't

Bankai. But yeah Gin later admits he was lying about how fast it was and how long it got.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bankai. But yeah Gin later admits he was lying about how fast it was and how long it got.

Yeah that was it. Bleach was wild sometimes

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

good title for a new bleach thread

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Ichigo just deciding to suddenly win was awful. “I can’t get hurt anymore” was so dumb. The fight against Ulquiorra was bad too, just taking turns powering up while Origime screams Ichigo’s name. Cool designs and a couple cool moments, but the fight sucks overall.

A ton of cool moments in fake Karakura though. Everything with Barragan. Everything with Alon, everything with Yamamoto. Tosen and Komamura’s relationship, Tosen and Hisagi. Izuru’s shikai as a guillotine. Everything to do with Gin until Aizen no sells his attack and thus makes everything about Gin dumb.

Gin got done as dirty as Tatsuki.

No mention of Kyoraku vs Starrk's fight?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

If Kubo actually follows through with the Hell Arc I hope he does the ultimate fanservice-y thing in it, a permanent Getsuga state bankai.

That look was cash money

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

No mention of Kyoraku vs Starrk's fight?

Less than the sum of its parts. Kyoraku and Ukitake had cool shikai abilities. Starrk could do some cool things. But it just didn’t grab me. I didn’t think it was bad, it was better than any other fights the Visored were in except Barragan vs Hachi and Soi Fon.

Best fights in fake karakura:
1. Izuru vs Redder
2. Barragan vs Soi Fon and Hachi
3. Yamamoto vs Wanderweiss
4. Gin vs Ichigo
5. Ayon vs Half the Soul Reapers
6. Hisagi & Komamura vs Tosen
7. kyoraku and friends vs Starrk
8. Ichigo vs Aizen
9. Yumichika vs Charlotte

Honorable mention: don kanonji and keigo asano vs Aizen

There are like eight or nine other fights and I don’t like them. I think my choices are pretty much correct. Ichigo vs Aizen is low because despite Ichigo looking very cool, it’s not particularly interesting since it’s just a series of Ichigo one shotting Aizen who then immediately recovers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
starrrrk went from being cool and mysterious to super weird. his defining characteristic was loneliness, okay, fine. he used his amazing power to create a friend, sure, whatever. but the form that friend took was, uh, very telling and not in a good way.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

keigo asano vs Aizen

Keigo was one stone cold badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Honorable mention: don kanonji and keigo asano vs Aizen

Special points go to Mizuiro's how-the-hell-does-he-know-this-stuff use of improvised explosives vs Aizen. Completely useless because Aizen is 90% of the way to godhood at this point, but if Bleach was a seinen manga Mizuiro would be the main character.