Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

It also feels like MHA has already peaked. Its popularity is huge but it doesn't seem to be really growing.

The market has only become more competitive since Bleach so it's understandable. Bleach's only main competitors on the anime front were Naruto and One Piece (and FMA during its one year pre-Brotherhood run.) Now there's a bunch of shows at the MHA level (the neverending One Piece, Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, the TON of bigger isekai franchises...) There's only about the same shounen but a lot of smaller shows that appeal to the same market.

There's also the completely different way to read it now because back when Bleach was big you had to actually buy the physical books but right now if you want to read MHA you just need to subscribe to the SJ app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it will always be funny that ichigo had a single-use, time limited powerup to deal with aizen, and then he spent so long bragging about how strong he was it ran out. then urahara popped in out of nowhere and beat aizen.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The dark(and very publically known) secret of bleach is kubo Tite is very good at writing character moments but pisspoor at doing fight scenes. The only reason soul society works is because of the aforementioned skill and the fact Kubo actually was a talented artist before he got burnt out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Penis Inspection posted:

ok two questions relating to Tite Kubo's work :

- I think I' m gonna do what I didn't do as a teenager and finally read Bleach. However I've often heard that there's a point (most likely at the end of an arc?) where I should just stop and pretend it's the end of the series because it's just kind of downhill from there. What is that point?

- is his new manga any good and if yes should I read it after I'm done with Bleach or just start it "whenever, it's cool dude"?

there is straight up no good reason to read bleach, at any length. its best, most dynamic chapters were all in the first arc, where it was just a more muddled Yu Yu Hakusho

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah just watch/read YYH and get a much better story. Bleach has good character designs, some cool powers, and maybe a half dozen actually really well done fights and set pieces but the actual story is a clusterfuck. If you're absolutely burning with unstoppable desire to read it, read up to the completion of the Soul Society arc and then just come up with your own fanfiction about how Aizen is defeated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
someone gave him a large mirror and he made smug speeches to it for the rest of his obscenely long ghost life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just go with Aizen fucks off forever and is never seen again.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Aizen died on the way back to his home afterlife.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This thread motivated me to search Bleach on Spotify so I could listen to all the OPs and EDs, so thanks.

Funny how I barely remember any Naruto OP or ED but have no problem remembering Bleach OPs and EDs.

Granted I quit watching Naruto early on, but it's not like I stuck with the Bleach anime that long, I gave up during the Bounts because finding anime episodes on YouTube got tiresome and I didn't feel like downloading shounen anime offa mIRC.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This thread motivated me to search Bleach on Spotify so I could listen to all the OPs and EDs, so thanks.

Funny how I barely remember any Naruto OP or ED but have no problem remembering Bleach OPs and EDs.

Granted I quit watching Naruto early on, but it's not like I stuck with the Bleach anime that long, I gave up during the Bounts because finding anime episodes on YouTube got tiresome and I didn't feel like downloading shounen anime offa mIRC.

Part 1 Naruto has good Music. Shippuden's first 7-8 ops are good, but after that it all becomes super forgettable and bland.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Never made it to Shippuden!

Stopped during Sasuke Retrieval arc.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Remember when Tite had to basically pretend one character didn't exist because he was minor league but his sword ability was beyond ridiculous if you thought about it for even half a second

(doubled the opponents weight each time it touched them lol)

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Penis Inspection posted:

ok two questions relating to Tite Kubo's work :

- I think I' m gonna do what I didn't do as a teenager and finally read Bleach. However I've often heard that there's a point (most likely at the end of an arc?) where I should just stop and pretend it's the end of the series because it's just kind of downhill from there. What is that point?

- is his new manga any good and if yes should I read it after I'm done with Bleach or just start it "whenever, it's cool dude"?

You should watch the first (non-shinigami) arc where ichigo is just helping ghosts, read everything after that up to soul society. Then swap back to the anime for soul society while skipping all the filler. This is because the anime has some great vibes and the music adds a lot to the tone which will color your experience of the manga in a good way.

After that, stick to the manga. It's actually an easy series to breeze through. We used to joke that each chapter took about 1 week to create and 10 seconds to read. That is not an exaggeration. There comes a point in Bleach where half the pages are just negative space while dudes swing swords at each other. The reason I say stick with it past Soul Society is because it gets so bad near the end of the manga, that it becomes good again.

In a way, I envy you. You won't have to suffer like the rest of us.

Spuckuk posted:

Remember when Tite had to basically pretend one character didn't exist because he was minor league but his sword ability was beyond ridiculous if you thought about it for even half a second

(doubled the opponents weight each time it touched them lol)

Kira actually dies pathetically and then comes back as a literal cyborg. An enormous circle of flesh is missing from his chest and he looks incredibly stupid. I think he returns for a single page and is never heard from again.

That's nothing compared to the bullshit Kubo pulled at the end. Literal gods that couldn't die and just kept multiplying. An actual immortal giant. (Neither of these fuckers got killed in the actual manga, they just got absorbed by the big bad.) Then there was that one dude who's power was that anything he imagines becomes real. Yes. That's his entire ability.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The live action movie was also not bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thoren posted:

That's nothing compared to the bullshit Kubo pulled at the end. Literal gods that couldn't die and just kept multiplying. An actual immortal giant. (Neither of these fuckers got killed in the actual manga, they just got absorbed by the big bad.) Then there was that one dude who's power was that anything he imagines becomes real. Yes. That's his entire ability.

That guy owns though

"I can imagine anything."

"Can you imagine anything stronger than me?"

"poo poo I can't" *dies*

Then Kenpachi gets his Bankai against the immortal giant and it doesn't do poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kenpachi and Yoruichi were my reason for reading Bleach.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The only part of the second half of Bleach I remember fondly is the nice doctor lady being the previous Kenpachi

Oh and Aizen being the one to beat the final bad guy with his smug catchphrase was pretty good too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kept waiting in the final arc for them to rescue Halibel and get some more arrancar reinforcements, but they weren't even mentioned in the epilogue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i will never get over the fact that the final bad guy's power amount to saying "i win," and then he wins

on top of being bullshit it was visually lazy in a way that perfectly summed up late-stage bleach, which was chapter after chapter of people in identical flowing white uniforms standing against identical solid white backdrops making identical half-lidded smug faces at each other

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Never made it to Shippuden!

Stopped during Sasuke Retrieval arc.

I mean, if you're ignoring 85 episodes of pure filler content, that was the last arc before Shippuden.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

I mean, if you're ignoring 85 episodes of pure filler content, that was the last arc before Shippuden.

This is still insane to me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My dumb 14 year old rear end watched literally all of the Naruto filler arcs for some reason. Although the only two I remember are the one where the villain guy from the first chapter with a do-rag who tricked Naruto into stealing the scroll that gave him his signature power comes back and turns into a tiger before getting his rear end kicked again, and also one where Naruto goes with Guy's team to a mine and they eat curry or something.

Oxxidation posted:

i will never get over the fact that the final bad guy's power amount to saying "i win," and then he wins

I love how he had a big huge fight with the old guy where he absolutely dunked on, except lol just kidding it wasn't actually him it was a body double (???) and then the real bad guy walks on screen and the old guy just kinda stands there and lets himself get killed because, uh, I guess he was just too tired from fighting the fake bad guy?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Nah his power was if he understands your power it no longer has any effect. Which is a very effective power in a series where they all literally explain what their power does as they use it. The old guy in that fight for absolutely no reason, despite stomping his body double with just the basics, uses every single ability and explains each one of them in turn and then loses to that ability.

Then he gains omniscience and loses because..... I don't know how. But enough talk on the lovely writing, talk more about the music.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is still insane to me.

The one objectively good thing about current anime is they aren’t slowing the story to an excruciating snail’s pace to hold their precious timeslots.

Sydin posted:

I love how he had a big huge fight with the old guy where he absolutely dunked on, except lol just kidding it wasn't actually him it was a body double (???) and then the real bad guy walks on screen and the old guy just kinda stands there and lets himself get killed because, uh, I guess he was just too tired from fighting the fake bad guy?

Ywach also stole Genryusai’s broken rear end bankai after the fakeout fight, which he then proceeds to never use, but why would he when he’s a walking I Win Button.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah I forgot about the whole bankai stealing thing. That was a cool plot point and an interesting way to walk back the power creep and endless bankai spam. Maybe all these captains and Ichigo will have to go back to the basics and learn how to fight effectively without their powers! ...Oh, what? The next time a fight breaks out Urahara magically just gives everybody their bankai's back? Alright.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Aizen finally using his insane ability to basically alter the person's perception of reality was actually used to beat the big bad in the last arc was a nice touch.

But loving lol at Ishida's dad showing up and saying " hey here's this arrowhead that prevents the guy from using his godlike powers for a couple of seconds" and that's what ultimately ends the fight. Tite has this problem of having people with these incredible abilities that should result in the guy never, ever losing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it was completely unnecessary as well. A tsukishima/aizen combo would have been enough to stomp ywach and would have been amazing to see.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, yeah, the entire problem with Aizen is that he is almost Literally Unbeatable even before Kubo turned him into a shameless godmoder who arbitrarily orchestrated literally everything in the series, including and especially the parts that didn't actually make any sense for him to orchestrate.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
YWACH was the worst villain I've ever seen in any medium, absolutely nothing compelling about him. His band of miscreants makes no sense within the narrative, I have no idea where they were or how long they were in hiding before coming out to be bad guys. Nothing about their backstory makes sense.

Squad 0 was dope though and there were a few cool moments in the last arc. It would have had some cool OPs. Too bad the Fullbring arc had a terrible transition from the previous arc that turned most people off the series. If the series had ended before doing that I think there would be way more positive feelings about Bleach in general.

I stand by my opinion that if you read it through without having a week between chapters, Bleach is good and fun. Until you hit the Fullbring arc which is bad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still don't understand people who think Bleach was denied its greatness by editors who forced its end, as if Tite could have somehow ended Bleach in a satisfactory manner.

It's like they hadn't read the previous 400+ chapters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It needed to end, but a better epilogue would've been nice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a better epilogue would have required a better writer.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

YWACH was the worst villain I've ever seen in any medium, absolutely nothing compelling about him. His band of miscreants makes no sense within the narrative, I have no idea where they were or how long they were in hiding before coming out to be bad guys. Nothing about their backstory makes sense.

If you held a Bleach page from the Sternritter arc up to a blacklight you’d see the sweat stains from when Kubo struggled to make any tenuous connection at all between Ichigo and Ywach. The worst was when his funk reached back in time to stink up a villain and take killing Ichigo’s mom away from Grand Fisher.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I still don't understand people who think Bleach was denied its greatness by editors who forced its end, as if Tite could have somehow ended Bleach in a satisfactory manner.

It's like they hadn't read the previous 400+ chapters.

The editors didn't force anything, Kubo did an interview about a year after Bleach ended where he said that he was having tons of health problems from stress and overwork and decided to wrap it up earlier than expected with the blessing of WSJ. He even told them a year in advance that he was planning to end it.

It was probably for the best though, if Kubo had been healthy then Kenpatchi, Byakuya, and Hitsugaya would still probably be fighting Quincy Thor and Ichigo would have fallen and climbed back up the tower another dozen times.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sydin posted:

It was probably for the best though, if Kubo had been healthy then Kenpatchi, Byakuya, and Hitsugaya would still probably be fighting Quincy Thor and Ichigo would have fallen and climbed back up the tower another dozen times.

... and I’d still be happily reading every page of it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
They should have beaten the guy who gains power from being hurt by healing him. It's like a zombie in an RPG, simple as that.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bleach ended too soon, in that I held a contest and nobody got it right cause it ended like a year earlier than anyone guessed.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

That guy owns though

"I can imagine anything."

"Can you imagine anything stronger than me?"

"poo poo I can't" *dies*

Then Kenpachi gets his Bankai against the immortal giant and it doesn't do poo poo.

Agh why did you remind me of that last part

It's like that part in Hueco Mundo where Chad beats a dude in a super badass way, then walks out of the room and immediately gets taken out of commission for the rest of the arc.

Or the scene where Chad goes into a literal Hyperbolic Time Chamber and then nothing comes of it

Or the scene where Chad

I really liked Chad but after Soul Society I got used to the fact that he was never going to be relevant again. But Kenpachi was always the coolest and got to be the coolest on the reg but then they completely waste his final battle and it's so lovely.

God that last arc is like a perfect example of how not to do a finale. Between the Thousand Year Blood War and Naruto's Great Ninja War and Black Clover's Elf Invasion, it's like the Gundam "cool robot!" image except the robot is One Piece's Paramount War and every other shonen manga just decided that the thing that made it good was the opportunity to have a huge battle with a ton of characters when in fact One Piece's war had like zero one on one fights that went on for more than a handful of pages and THAT is what made it good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Bleach was drawing on Naruto way more than One Piece in that final arc. Up to doing a where are they now epilogue even though none of the characters had any goals or dreams and there was no closure to be had from a timeskip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
edit: never mind