Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I read all of Bleach over about eight days and I enjoyed all of the stupid, of which there is a lot. My favorite character is the vizor dude who looks exactly like Super Bowl winning coach Andy Reid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

Kenpachi vs Gremmy was good though. It was the right kind of stupid.

A lot of Bleach can be described accurately as "the right kind of stupid".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Most of these plot holes can be filled in by just assuming everyone in Soul Society has brains composed mostly of rodent hair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

She really needed that fingernail in her.

I wonder what powers it bestowed.

Anti-gravity.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Safety Biscuits posted:

And Orihime! Remember that crazy killer robot she wanted to be when she grew up?

I dunno about anyone else, but I forgive everything else about her character just for this moment. I just wish she'd kept that slightly-concealed weirdness as a character trait later on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly the worst thing about the later plot arcs was how Rukia kept getting sidelined for dozens of chapters at a time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

That also would have been very interesting if he had to fight Nel.

Another underused character.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chumbler posted:

Bleach should've ultimately been Aizen and Urahara being two masterminds in a pissing match to see who can mastermind harder.

Only if it ended with Yoruichi beating the crap out of them both for all of this posturing bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

4 chapters? Not sure if disappointed or not. But at least it should mean it's properly planned and hopefully gets more Kubo art love.

I'm kinda torn between hoping he gets to do proper planning and plotting this time and hoping for an even more spine-snapping screeching halt to the story than Bleach had.

Mostly though I want the former.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I guess I could breast this boob a while, I suppose.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Installed the game and it spat me out a level 200 six star Nel (not in a swimsuit) who cheeses everything in one hit or less. I can probably clear everything in a day or two just using her.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mods namechange to Tronbone Takkinen please.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Burn the Witch has the greatest collection of sillyass attempts at "Western" names I've seen or heard of in a manga since whatever that thing was that had a character called Satellizer or something like that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chumbler posted:

People say this a lot, but it's not really true.

Not to same extent as Hiro Mashima at least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

give us more unohana, kubo. you coward.

Totally on board with this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm enjoying the stupid so I don't mind if it's an ad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Roth posted:

I have no idea what's happening!

50/50 odds that Tite Kubo doesn't either.

This is not a complaint post.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Funny enough one of kubo's actual definitions is apparently "hollow" (as in a depression in the ground).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

God bless this mess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

Good news everyone!

Burn the witch is apparently getting a second season!

Maybe that will mean he will slow down a bit on his massive walls of text and stuff happening so we can actually follow what's happening.

Yay more Reverse London nonsense

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm enjoying the stupid, but slightly less than before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

Idk about viz but the translation I read only had shunsui finding himself able to relate to aizen after seeing ichibei "create" the new soul king from ywach's corpse.

Yeah that's more or less what happens. Kimono Jesus gets skeeved out by actually learning what's involved and that Ichigo might've ended up in the Soul King's place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ichigo can't appear in the novels because he's still repeatedly climbing that tower.

Haven't heard that nickname for Orihime before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If this had ended with someone saying "The Aristocrats!", I think it would've made just as much sense.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

Honestly Renji made it out of Bleach pretty well: he got his power completely retconned into something way stronger to the point where he's up there with some of the most powerful captains, won an actual fight against a non-trash mob opponent, and hooked up with Rukia. Sure he had to put in like 500 chapters of work relentlessly jobbing to get there, but it paid off for him in the end.

Yeah, when I think of characters who got screwed over by their development arcs in Bleach, Renji isn't even on the list. Dude killed the best Sternritter and had a family with Rukia, why would anyone call him "poor Renji"?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 16, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In principle it's fine to forget the last arc, I guess, but in reality it just means you miss out on one of the best ridiculous moments in the series (everything about Masque de Masculine).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

And then... the arc just kinda gets bogged down in a million filler fights and Ichigo getting punted back down the tower a dozen times. Zero Division gets trounced almost entirely offscreen, Rukia and Renji each only get one (admittedly both great) fight apiece before they just vanish from the arc, Orihime and Chad show up to do literally nothing, Ishida being a double agent and the power he gets from Yhwach both turn out to be completely meaningless. The endless Thor fight was agonizing, the Vizards just all jobbed again, Ukitake dies unceremoniously in a pointless sacrifice that is immediately undone by Yhwach, and Ichigo's new powers are functionally never showcased outside of one "I can fire two getsugas now!" and otherwise he just gets relentlessly chumped until the dads show up to deliver the never before seen mcguffin arrow that can temporarily stop Almighty. Even Aizen getting released turned out to be underwhelming. There's just nothing about the defeat of Yhwach that feels satisfying or earned.

And that's just the stuff I remember. Basically everything from the second invasion of SS onward is a complete clusterfuck that poisons the entire arc, which is a real shame because again I thought it started off incredibly strong.

You can probably track the progressive deterioration of Kubo's health by how the pacing and events of that arc fall apart more and more as it goes on. The final battle with Yhwach was obviously supposed to be something big and epic but Kubo's illness and the manga's curtailment hit it hard. All the stuff with the dads and the McGuffin and Aizen and Chad fighting those dudes offscreen was probably going to be a much longer thing with much more developments in the fight. It's depressing what could've been.

Or it could've been an even more total fustercluck, that's the thing about what ifs.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 16, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I remember it from the manga because it's Momo who effectively gets stabbed by Aizen again. It's bleakly hilarious.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In Soul Society they set their watches by whenever someone stabs Momo by mistake.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aizen could get violent food poisoning at a Sbarro in the Soul Society food court and come up with a reason he planned it that way for decades and someone would believe it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ichigo's most reliable character trait was standing still watching shocked and wide eyed

Also one of his most relatable character traits.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

It is kinda funny in retrospect that Matsumoto and Hitsugaya spend an afternoon chilling in Ichigo's room none the wise that their former captain is downstairs sitting on the couch watching TV.

I mean it tracks with my pet theory that most of the Soul Society aren't as much consciously malicious or fash or whatever as they are merely dumb as rocks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Alternatively, imagine a deleted scene where one of them wanders down to raid the fridge and bumps into Isshin. They stare at each other, blink, and then someone says "I won't say anything if you won't."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Come to think of it, Matsumoto probably did bump into Isshin at some point and just didn't give a gently caress.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tatsuki was obviously supposed to get a bigger character arc than she ended up with but given what happened to Chad that might not have been a bad thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

He imagined zaraki to be unkillable because of his reputation

This was so stupid it warped around to being amazing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile Hachi chopped the strongest Arrancar into bits, brushed off his suit, and moved to America to become an NFL coach.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 28, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Y'know, the first Bleach OP is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think they also just absorb energy of some sort from the atmosphere of Heuco Mundo which is why Nel and her friends are so chill with Ichigo and the others instead of seeing them as a walking buffet service. It's implied that hollows don't technically have to eat human souls to live, they do it because they want to.