Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Honest Thief posted:

the ops seem to have way more love for the characters than the show/manga ever did, what did chad ever did besides having a cool sleeve even if he had some potential as a character?

He got some good fights before he completely stopped being relevant.

drat, remember when the Fullbring arc was going to focus on Chad and Orihime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"KUROSAKI-KUN"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I never read that arc, did they do the poo poo where an enemy comes out of nowhere and hes ñ or þ or ? or something

Nope. They had some JoJo powers, though.

One guy could control the lethal dose of anything he came into contact with. And yes, that included getting stabbed by a sword.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So...he gets stabbed...and then says "nope, you need to apply More Sword than that to kill me"?

...Do they make any effort to address how this helps stop him from bleeding out?

Raising his own "lethal dose" of something also let him heal from damage caused by it faster. He was ridiculously hard to kill, and only finally died after his heart was ripped out and crushed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

tsukishima was a legitimately unnerving badguy during his early chapters

Ichigo coming home to find this complete stranger hanging out, and everyone acting like he's been part of the group for years was straight out of a horror movie. And that moment when Tsukishima almost destroyed Chad and Orihime mentally by forcing them to fight through their real memories of Ichigo, and they were tearing themselves apart trying to reconcile what was going on. :smith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

Shaman King

Speaking of good OPs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

This does not explain why they could develop items that could steal bankais with zero exposure to zanpakuto in centuries/millennia and presumably no means to do so as well?

The Quincies' basic power set involved directly absorbing spiritual power from everything around them (Ishida literally absorbing the buildings around him during his fight with Mayuri), so it made some sense that this group could figure out a way to directly steal a bankai after working at for centuries. Especially since the Shinigami had been at odds with the Quincies ever since the first Quincy starting erasing Hollows (Hollows killed by a Quincy just cease to exist, instead of being returned to the cycle of reincarnation).

Sydin posted:

Aging makes no sense in bleach no matter which way you slice it. Shinigami seem to age up normally to their mid-20's and then the aging process slows way down I think? But it's kinda inconsistent because Hitsugaya/Yachiru/that one Vizard girl are all still kids, Unohana looks exactly the same as she did in flashbacks even though she was one of the original captains who was around when the captain commander looked like a younger man, but now he looks like he's over 100. Then you have all the shinigami just bumming around in the human world like Isshin, Urahara, the Vizards, who have been inhabiting fake bodies for upwards of decades and haven't aged a day? Then you have zero division with the head of it implied to be older than even the captain commander considering he existed before bankai was even a thing, but he looks younger? Can shinigami even die of old age?

Really the whole idea that spirits in SS were exactly like normal humans and could age/have kids/etc kinda fucks the world up. A straight line of living human dies -> become hollow or spirit and if your spirit is strong enough you can become a shinigami -> die as a spirit or hollow and be reincarnated as a human like what was originally presented probably should have been preserved.

There were "Ghost Nobles" who could have Ghost Children and actually age (Byakuya is one). People who became ghosts by dying were stuck looking the same as when they died, and got to sit in the massive slum sitting right outside Soul Society until they got re-killed or reincarnated.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Bleach did something that always pisses me off on Shounen. They gave the main character super speed powers that makes him super fast for exactly one fight then from then on every other character is exactly as fast or faster then the character with super speed powers on top of their other gimmicks.

I liked that when Ichigo first did it, he was moving too fast for body to take it. Slowly shattering his own bones to force himself to be faster than Byakuya. Real shame that nothing came of it.

Reminded me of Goku pulling everything he could out of the Kaioken when he first fought Vegeta.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

HerraS posted:

still lolling @ ichigo staring as everyone beats the poo poo out of hinamori and doing nothing until after she gets skewered

He could have been shouting the entire time. It's not like they would have been aware of him, since Absolute Hypnosis was so overpowered. Aizen could have made them stab each other, and none of them would be aware of it unless he wanted them to be. The affected Captains were huge liabilities during that whole arc.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

YWACH's power was basically him looking at every possible future, and going "I'd like this to happen instead of any of that". Like in the final battle, when he broke Ichigo's zanpakuto without moving.

He got chumped once that ability was stopped. Two major villains with insanely overpowered abilities.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The only reason Kenpachi even ended up joining Soul Society was because he challenged and beat the previous Kenpachi and decided to stick around to fight more.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mayuri was good for having a new insane outfit every arc.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Vizards being wasted is a shame

Remember how Rose straight up told his enemy how to beat his Bankai and was shocked to immediately get his rear end kicked?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's not. Plenty of manga are actually collaborative works with the artist/author and teams of assistants, or even just the writer and artist being separate people.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Remember when Tatsuki was going to get training to enhance her spiritual powers, and that she is Ichigo's oldest friend (they met when they were 4)?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sydin posted:

Sasuke wasn't even in the original conception of Naruto, but Kishimoto's editors told him Naruto needed a rival, so he threw together a character to fill that role who ended up becoming so monstrously popular the manga ended up being just as much about him as its eponymous protagonist.

Wonder how the original Naruto would have ended up, if it had continued into serialization. The one where he was actually a demon fox.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Aizen's power level doesn't matter anymore because he is immortal now, and the Monk can cheat death if anybody says his name. They don't deserve to be in the competition.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Oh I meant all of that poo poo. I couldn't remember what arrancar called theirs and quit reading won Ywach showed up.

Arrancar called it Resurreccion and Resurreccion Segunda Etapa (only Ulquiorra had this second transformation).

Resurreccion was cooler than Shikai/Bankai because some of them completely changed the Arrancar's form, instead of just being a new weapon or a bigger sword. Like Yammy turning into a kaiju, or Barragan becoming the Skull King.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Shinji's reverses the recognition of allies and enemies or something? So your team starts fighting each other and the enemy team starts fighting among themselves or some poo poo. Which is useless given how Bleach operates in 1v1 battles at virtually all times.

Reversed their perception of movement and the world, like a mirror. Not make you fight your friends or anything like that.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Kenpachi and Unohana would have been one crazy couple.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That was why he named his sword bad and hated releasing it. He drained the life out of Charlotte and healed himself. It was overpowered in a straight fight and went completely against Squad 11's style.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Chad's other early moment is him getting hit by a motorcycle, and carrying the cyclist to Isshin's clinic. Chad was such a kind, helpful boy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

That doesn't sound like much of a weakness to me. What's to stop him from just releasing it midbattle?

It was an actual ritual, and the target had to sit there and watch the whole thing. It's not a simple release command like anyone else's. Not something he can just whip out midfight without being interrupted or having the target run the gently caress away. Aizen only got the other Captains because showing your bankai is part of becoming a Captain, so everyone in the room had to watch him the entire time. It's elaborate enough that he tricked all of them into thinking his shikai was his bankai.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Ichigo's Fullbringer outfit was basically a Sentai Ninja and that is rad.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Both of these sound so horrible they can't be true, but something tells me they are.

Ichigo's mom was a Quincy. Yhwach is the father/creator of all Quincies and was directly connected to each of them, so Ichigo had a bit of Yhwach's soul inside of his own soul. That piece of Yhwach was pretending to be the spirit of Ichigo's zanpakuto after Ichigo became a Shinigami. Ichigo's original Shinigami powers were basically mini-Yhwach copying Shinigami powers.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

tfw no vasto lorde gf

Big titty arrancar gf.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Urahara's bankai could dissect and rebuild anything within its range (Crazy Diamond, except with literally stitching things together). Urahara rebuilt his damaged eyes, and remade his arm for increased strength.

He wasn't able to use his bankai to escape Gift Ball Deluxe, since both he and his bankai collapsed after Askin's death increased its power.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Come on Zombie Powder revival.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

He talked about how "Quincy blood can not tolerate the Soul King's existence" when Ichigo cut the King in half after grabbing Ywach's sword.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

We might get to see him boxing when the epilogue gets animated!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

What exactly was Tousen hoping to achieve?
And for that matter: Gin too?

Tousen hated the Shinigami for basically the entire time he was in Soul Society, so he signed on with Aizen's "public" plan to tear everything down.

Gin was playing an extreme long con to get his chance to kill Aizen.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There's like a half dozen characters who I think could carry their own series and be more interesting than Ichigo (which, you know, starts with Rukia).

Early Bleach Ichigo was great.

New series: Ichigo and Rukia Teach an Art Class.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Unohana training Kenpachi by killing and reviving him until he managed to win was pretty metal. Shame that was the only thing she got to do, instead of like, having them go on a murder spree together against the Wandenreich.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

TheHan posted:

Unohana did the drat thing and got the hell outta there, didn't even take the time to explain her bankai. She knew where that arc was going.

I just wanted to see a blood-soaked fightjunky marriage proposal. :negative:

RealFoxy posted:

There was that Swordsmith in the sky who had a sword that was so sharp that you couldn't even put it in a sheath because it would split it in two and I can't help but think that it would've been better to have just given that to Ichigo or Kenpachi, or even Yoruichi or Soi Fon much earlier on and not just have people dying for no reason.

The smith used it himself, and immediately killed some top tier Wandenreich (Viking, Sniper, Askin). It didn't matter because Ywach resurrected them, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Technically Byakuya's, as I understand it, is the same sword in a bajillion blades. Making two swords was unique to those two, but it's one of those things that unsurprisingly for Bleach never amounted to much. Even Ukitake's Shikai was pretty hax in theory.

Yes, Byakuya's thing was splitting the blade of his one sword into a ton of tiny metal shards. Even his Bankai was him using the single sword as a catalyst.

Rangiku's was similar, but her blade turned into ash particles.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Gologle posted:

Ostensibly, Ichigo's advantage is that he had never seen Aizen release his shikai, so he wasn't affected by Aizen's absolute sensory manipulation. My problem with that is that...what was stopping Aizen from just deactivating his shikai and then reactivating it again with Ichigo in the vicinity???

Absolute Hypnosis only worked on people who watched and listened to the entire release ritual. It had a long enough incantation to make the other Captains think Aizen was showing them his full bankai.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

"Rejecting" any event happening is pretty dang powerful, and was basically the only thing that even had a chance to outright destroy the Hoagie. Shame about everything else.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

arrancar don't have to eat I don't think. that's half the reason they pledged undying loyalty to aizen.

Yea, once a hollow evolves past a certain point (by eating enough souls and other hollows) they lose the intense hunger for more souls.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Didn't he kill a bunch of children and babies when he was making Yamato though? That seems pretty extreme on the evil scale if I'm recalling it correctly.

Yes, yes he did. That was the incident that made him flee the village. He crossed the line from rear end in a top hat to outright villain with his experiments, which made Sarutobi hunt him down and then find out about the Hashirama DNA experiment.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Or killed one of his friends in front of him and then taunted him about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Did Kira demonstrating why his sword is crooked make it onto the list? Shame his sole contribution during the Quincy arc was getting sniped and left for dead.