Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mayuri is a horrible monster who never faced any consequences for any of his many, many crimes. the convert former enemies into allies bit really did not work for him, because even when he had other villains to fight he was always by far the worst of the two. even the nastiest of them was just mayuri-lite.

bleach was a very strange manga, but the anime sure did have some good ops.

Mayuri was much better as a villain.

Bleach's biggest mistake was turning the entire remaining ensemble of Captains after Aizen's betrayal into Good Guys, then lining up super mooks for them to knock down.

I think at one point we spent 2-3 years of manga of people just standing around taking turns fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Has there been anything new in that ballpark since Bleach and Naruto ended?

My Hero Academia is pretty big, isn't it?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Penis Inspection posted:

ok two questions relating to Tite Kubo's work :

- I think I' m gonna do what I didn't do as a teenager and finally read Bleach. However I've often heard that there's a point (most likely at the end of an arc?) where I should just stop and pretend it's the end of the series because it's just kind of downhill from there. What is that point?

- is his new manga any good and if yes should I read it after I'm done with Bleach or just start it "whenever, it's cool dude"?

You should watch the first (non-shinigami) arc where ichigo is just helping ghosts, read everything after that up to soul society. Then swap back to the anime for soul society while skipping all the filler. This is because the anime has some great vibes and the music adds a lot to the tone which will color your experience of the manga in a good way.

After that, stick to the manga. It's actually an easy series to breeze through. We used to joke that each chapter took about 1 week to create and 10 seconds to read. That is not an exaggeration. There comes a point in Bleach where half the pages are just negative space while dudes swing swords at each other. The reason I say stick with it past Soul Society is because it gets so bad near the end of the manga, that it becomes good again.

In a way, I envy you. You won't have to suffer like the rest of us.

Spuckuk posted:

Remember when Tite had to basically pretend one character didn't exist because he was minor league but his sword ability was beyond ridiculous if you thought about it for even half a second

(doubled the opponents weight each time it touched them lol)

Kira actually dies pathetically and then comes back as a literal cyborg. An enormous circle of flesh is missing from his chest and he looks incredibly stupid. I think he returns for a single page and is never heard from again.

That's nothing compared to the bullshit Kubo pulled at the end. Literal gods that couldn't die and just kept multiplying. An actual immortal giant. (Neither of these fuckers got killed in the actual manga, they just got absorbed by the big bad.) Then there was that one dude who's power was that anything he imagines becomes real. Yes. That's his entire ability.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
edit: never mind

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Remember when Orihime kisses Ichigo goodbye and we actually see some real character development, and it seems like she's hatching some master plan to use her reality-altering powers to stop Aizen?

What ever happened to that plot thread?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

they were pretty vague about which ones were or weren't vasto lordes, with the exception of mr. skull in a jar (oh no, you stabbed my skull in a jar! how did you figure out my one weakness?). grimmjow also probably wasn't, since he was originally some kind of big skeleton cat. anyway, the concept wasn't really important since they were all targets for 1-3 sword ghosts to fight. a big dangerous monster that a bunch of sword ghosts would have to gang up on really isn't kubo's style.

The Vasto Lorde idea was another of the Worst Things Kubo has written.

I may be completely misremembering this, but they never actually appeared in the entirety of the series, and it was only confirmed by some random extraneous material that, "oh yeah a few of those espada were vasto lordes, btw."

SalTheBard posted:

Didn't Yami (I think that was #10 / #0) get chumped off panel by Kenpachi?

He lost to Kenpachi and Byakuya off-panel. Kubo tried to excuse it by having some random Shinigami say "The captains are extremely injured!!!" when they returned. This seems to be a common problem with shonen mangaka who try to pack too much into their big fighting arcs. It reminds me of the time in Naruto when Kakshi was confronted with the Seven Zombie Swordsmen. There was this huge buildup, then the fight got skipped entirely.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 17, 2020

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Have we mentioned how the Final Getsuga Tenshou has no meaningful explanation to it?

Why did Ichigo and Aizen share certain physical characteristics? What are transcendents? Why are their swords fusing with their arms? How did Isshin know about the Final Getsuga Tenshou?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

idk Unohana's bankai seemed pretty clear? It loving melts people. Unohana just kept healing Kenpatchi every time he got killed/melted so he'd come back stronger, until he finally hit his true power and killed her.

I'm pretty sure she turned herself into a skelly with it. There seemed to be some wonky poo poo going on.

My guess: Kubo had no idea and just drew cool stuff.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

A lot of characters speak in overly vulgar Japanese in Bleach because they're punks or thugs or explicit yakuza types. Mangastream got this across by constantly inserting swears, the word "retard", and phrases such as "faking the funk", "kinging like kong", and "fighting gives me a hard on".

They were faithful in tone and arguably intent at least in the broad strokes, but in terms of what characters were actually, literally saying, it was more localization than translation.

That said I have not seen the original Japanese page we're talking about so who knows, Yumichika could very well have actually phrased the same way.

I wonder how the Japanese translate our constant bolding and italicizing of words in comic books.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Schubalts posted:

It's not. Plenty of manga are actually collaborative works with the artist/author and teams of assistants, or even just the writer and artist being separate people.

What really shocked me is how much sway the editors have over the story. When it comes to Jump authors, only Togashi seems to get away with doing whatever the gently caress he wants.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

I liked her retconned shikai. Her bankai was weird though. Huge frost nuke and then... she's stuck in place for a bit and hilariously exposed if the initial attack didn't kill her target? Also it literally turns her into an ice sculpture that can can be cracked and broken until she undoes it? Like there's probably a cool power in there somewhere, but it what we got to see was pretty underbaked.

I thought it was because she couldn't control her Bankai yet.

Let's be real though, Kubo wasn't exactly bleeding creativity at the end of the series. The only truly cool/interesting new Bankais were Urahara's and Ichibei's. Everything else was "get stronger" or "have some giant special attack."

I guess Genryuusai had a pretty cool one too.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

But nevertheless the point being that Soul Society arc is good because there are only 5 big fights that have a thematic or emotional purpose:

- Ichigo fighting Ikkaku (3rd seat)
- Ichigo fighting Renji (Lieutenant and love interest of Rukia)
- Uryu fighting Mayuri (experimented on multiple Quincy including his grandfather)
- Ichigo fighting Kenpachi (Captain without Bankai)
- Ichigo fighting Byakuya (Captain with Bankai and brother of Rukia, who previously beat the crap out of him)

Shouldn't Renji vs Byakuya be on this list?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
G8, the filler arc so good people talk about it decades later in random unrelated forum threads.

Meanwhile Naruto had that dude from the first episode coming back as a tiger and Bleach had those stupid loving puppets that became recurring characters, peppering filler into dozens of canon episodes.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
It's cool that Chad was supposed to be the main character's super strong best friend. I wish we could sit Kubo down and interview him about his early plans all his OG main characters.

Even Chad getting destroyed by Kyoraku had the typical anime foreshadowing of "heh good thing I didn't get hit by that incredibly strong attack."

In fact that entire scene with the music and Chad deciding to attack a Captain is pretty awesome, especially within the context of how powerful Captains were at the time.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 25, 2020

Thoren
May 28, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah it was super dumb because he curbstomps YWACH and then no it turns out it's just a dude who transformed into YWACH and then the real YWACH comes out and kills him instantly.

To be fair, he stole Yamamoto's Bankai which let him become hot as the surface as the sun, resurrect an army of dead characters, and slice enormous chunks out of people from afar. (I forgot the fourth power.)

edit: you know, that whole backstory we learned was one of the coolest parts of the last arc. Yamamoto being younger, the whole lineage of the Kenpachi title. I want to read stories in the Bleach Universe with Yamamoto was a cool young dude.

Also I once spoke to a random Japanese guy in Japan about Bleach and he explained to me that the Japanese fans refer to him as Genryuusai because it's a pretty epic name.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 26, 2020

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Do it, Kubo.

Make the the Boruto of Bleach .

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Remember when Bleach's music went all Flamenco guitar.

That was cool.

Flamenco monster transformations.

Who the hell comes up with that poo poo?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Haha wait what the gently caress? The Soul King was Ywack's dad? How did I never notice this?

All the quincies are descendants of the Soul King then?

Just when I thought Bleach couldn't retroactively get stupider... drat.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

TheHan posted:

Hmm on the one hand the worst part of Blood War was how long everything dragged on. On the other hand is everything else that was bad about it.

But you know what this means ANOTHER BLEACH OST :dance:

Entirely new studio and director has me a little scared that it wont have the same feeling of older Bleach.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't that a good thing

Bleach did a really good job with tone and differentiating characters. There's definitely a certain magic early on the anime.

Maybe I'm just a stubborn rear end in a top hat, but most continuations or remakes of once-popular anime feel soulless.

I guess HxH and JoJo are pretty good though. I have hope.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
There's an official Bleach manga "re-run" on Shueisha right now.

The current chapter 67, is when Ichigo learns his sword's name.

These chapters are really, really good. The art has a certain charm to them. It kind of reminds me of those old pokemon mangas. Something imagination stirring about them.

The use of empty space was a little more conservative back then, taking up single panels instead of 2-page spreads. Also Ichigo seems way more expressive and human.

A lot of characters have these deep solid black clothes too which is pretty striking since all of the attack explosions and backgrounds are pale white.

Characters feel way more vulnerable in this period of Bleach. Urahara is forced to use his power to stop Ichigo from killing him when he finds Zangetsu. Only Kenpachi did the whole "no-sell" on attacks.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

pretty cool mockup

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I just realized we'll be getting new Bleach music. :eyepop:

Currently googling Shiro Sagisu's email to ask him if he'll be composing again.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Most of these plot holes can be filled in by just assuming everyone in Soul Society has brains composed mostly of rodent hair.

The leader of the afterlife was in charge for 1000 years because he was the strongest guy.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
While achieving Transcendence is often tailored to the uniqueness of the individual, there can sometimes be similarities in the route of evolution that a particular soul takes in the process of becoming a Transcendent. At one point, Sōsuke Aizen hypothesizes that he and Ichigo Kurosaki had achieved a similar conclusion to their evolution in that, in both of their cases, their Zanpakutō fused with their right arm. It is difficult to ascertain whether there was any validity to this statement, as later Aizen notes the difference in their evolution, mistakenly believing his own Transcendence to have surpassed Ichigo's own level.[8] One could theorize that their difference in power was not necessarily a disparity in evolutionary levels but rather in evolutionary routes; namely, it was not that Ichigo was beyond Aizen within the same evolutionary route, but that his evolution was fundamentally different from Aizen's own evolution entirely. Regardless, what can be asserted is that there are routes of evolution which can be undertaken by multiple individuals, such as the Evolución form, which can be considered a specific route of evolution obtainable by an Arrancar. The Seraph are a group of souls that have achieved a common evolutionary route which they refer to as 'Ascendance'.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I thought about Bleach for a few minutes today. Here are my thoughts.

The Soul Society arc should have never ended with all the characters together on a big plateau. Ichigo should have never become a substitute shinigami. The arc should have ended with Ichigo escaping Soul Society with Rukia, making her a fugitive and a permanent part of the main cast for the next adventure.

Perhaps the factions within the Gotei 13, now crippled by losses, disagree on what to do about her, and thus the situation becomes complicated. They don't have the manpower to pursue her anyway.

Aizen could still have his big betrayal, though probably not against Ichigo.

This is the best possible outcome because Rukia could go back to living in Ichigo's closet.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Roth posted:

Doing nothing with Tatsuki is the worst thing about Bleach

Do we know what the Original Plan was for Tatsuki? She could sense hollows or something right?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Unohana training Kenpachi by killing and reviving him until he managed to win was pretty metal. Shame that was the only thing she got to do, instead of like, having them go on a murder spree together against the Wandenreich.

True, that owned. But I will go to the grave swearing her Bankai was some random and unexplained poo poo.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I want an epilogue of Halibel and crew rebuilding hueco mundo.

Rebuilding what dude?

It was a giant sandcastle in a desert of sand.

Byakuya should have just died to As Nodt and showed up as a ghost (a double ghost?) when Rukia was fighting As Nodt to lend her spiritual support.

But then we would have missed out on him coming back to...

...what did he do again?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Kubo’s problem is that he generally draws either no breasts or huge knockers. You can see it in his human friends.
There's no in between.
Yoruichi is closest to in between.

Nanao, Nemu, Tatsuki, Unohana... there has to be a ton of women with normal-sized boobs in Bleach.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I really enjoyed those few chapters she had with Kenpachi :allears:

I would honestly enjoy a Bleach prequel manga all about sword ghosts. It would be cool too since the human world would also be samurai or something.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Bleach nerd response: Yamamoto has an ego which is why he didn't restore his arm. This is canonically referenced by Ywach in chapter...

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The funniest part of Bleach to me is how some abilities or items can have all these crazy rules that suddenly stop working because of [spirit power].

You could literally handwave anything in the entire story with spirit power. Any character can do anything, or prevent anything, with it.

Imagine a plot device where sword ghosts are able to have kids if they have enough spirit power. The excess spirit power creates a new soul.

See? You can do anything.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

unohana and kenpachi's murder-gently caress honeymoon was real cool, but it was still a female character who had never gotten to do anything being sacrificed to power up a popular male character.

That was one of the coolest segments in Bleach. Unohana's 'dark' side was one of the best characters.

I swear Kubo had more planned for the final arc but lost around 20 chapters because they cut it off abruptly.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Aizen just wanted to recreate the world which was a perpetual poo poo hole with poverty in heaven because some dismembered, disemboweled guy in a crystal thought so.

Soul Society represents a complacent, violent government that changes nothing as their citizens suffer needlessly.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Yeah, peak potential Kenpachi could have probs beaten pre-Hoagie Aizen.

Post-Hoagie Aizen could probs beat peak Kenpachi though.

I am pretty sure ButterFlyzen and Hyperbolic Mullet Ichigo are still more powerful than anyone we saw in the Quincy arc, save for maybe Hachibei or Ywach.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Perhaps becoming as hot as the sun would have helped Ywach against the MacGuffin arrow.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I can't wait to see the deus ex machina arrow come out of nowhere to surprise the villain that can see all futures animated as a high quality Japanese cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Squad 0 + Genyruusai as villains please.

This could be the stupidest and best Bleach arc ever.

...this poo poo is continuing, right?

it is time for me to bring back my lame rear end jokes about double hell.

those were jokes?