Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I read this whole thread and can't believe no one mentioned when one of the villains said what we had all been thinking for many arcs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bible Ian Black posted:

I wonder what his powers would have been if Byakuya was killed off like he should have been during Aizen's reveal, since it's hard to think of anyone else who could have posed a real threat other than the guy who can make literally too many blades to look at.

Anyone with a mirror.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So did Ichigo's mom die and go to Soul Society or did her soul get absorbed by that Hollow or what happened there?

Ichigo went to Heaven and didn't even bother to look for her. They found that bird kid right away though.

Ichigo could always see spirits, so he must have realized his mom moved on pretty quickly after she died.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hollows were said to be a suffering existence defined by an insatiable hunger for souls and therefore killing them was a kind of mercy.

Until apparently they weren't any more.

All the Arrancar especially were amalgamations of souls, so killing one of them was setting a lot of people free.

Also, by the end, I guess they just accepted Hollows are like a different nation or something? Like Grimmjaw and Hazibel are now allies somehow? Hollows were just misunderstood I guess.

I'll never understand the scene where Orihime reaches out to Uliquorra. Or the part where Ichigo decides the duel wasn't "fair" so Uliquorra should cut off his arm. This is especially dumb because Uliquorra had just bragged about his regenerative power.

Also also, it's funny that you need a ton of souls to pool their Hollow power together to compete with a single Soul Reaper.

More thoughts:

What exactly was Tousen hoping to achieve?
And for that matter: Gin too?

If Aizen had wanted to kill the Soul King, why didn't he just wait a few more years and team up with the Quincy?

He didn't actually even have to do anything, they did it all without him or anything he did.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 6, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

kubo did a backstory chapter for ulq in one of the art books. He's a white bat hollow born in a pit full of black bat hollows. Can't Fear Your Own World describes barragan as a primordial hollow whose been in existence since the time of the soul king.

Stark being a natural arrancar is show in the manga since when aizen meets him he's already broken his mask off and spawned lille.

I thought it was subtly implied that Lille spawned Stark, though neither was really sure.

Schubalts posted:

Gin was playing an extreme long con to get his chance to kill Aizen.

I meant in relation to Rangiku. She seemed to be his whole motivation. Was he just trying to stop Aizen to protect her from his plan? Whatever that plan actually was.

I like that the Hollow were all weak enough for the Shinigami to defeat all them without any casualties even after powering up, but the Shinigami never thought to just go over to their world and routinely clean up to prevent humans from getting preyed on.

Indeed, the only people who died were on Aizen's team and Genryuusei's arm.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Finally, after thousands of years, my chance has arrived."
*A few seconds later*
"I guess I'll die without accomplishing literally anything."

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

There's like a half dozen characters who I think could carry their own series and be more interesting than Ichigo (which, you know, starts with Rukia).

I feel like as soon as any of them become the main character, they will become boring.

The article where they try to explain Ywach's personality is great too.

TheHan posted:

I think Ichigo powered up after Aizen and that make him stronger.

It was weird that they retconned his super powerup to just be his Quincy powerup.
And how did his dad know about it?
It would have probably have been better to have used the opportunity to give him a new dumb power up and call it a Vollstand than to retcon imo.

Also if he's part Quincy, and all the Quincy are descended from Ywach or whatever, son of the Soul King, that makes him a descendant of the Soul King, right?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 7, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I refuse to believe the Ichigo is a Quincy reveal was thought up until moments before he started writing the final arc. Much like how the Aizen "reveal" fell flat because we all just rolled our eyes when he claimed that he "had orchestrated everything from the first episode", the reveal that Zangetsu was actually this guy who was never hinted at before fell flat. Having a projectile attack and moving fast doesn't really qualify as a hint, imo. Even Renji has a projectile attack, and everyone moves fast.

The source of Fullbringer powers, a power introduced right before the last arc, was even retconned to be from the Soul King, right? Or something? I don't think he had any ideas more than an arc ahead. Some ideas didn't even make it through an arc.

Uryuu did the spirit ribbon thing to find Ichigo and only recognized him as Soul Reaper.

I wish we could have seen a Bleach with fewer deadlines. I wonder what Kubo might have been able to pull off if he had had more time to work and think before he had to put things out.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sorry, mullets for everyone. that's how spiritons work.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Goldens etc were always really good.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kubo's a real job-creator.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I feel like you might have misread something here.

I'm still so incredibly baffled by the Grimmjaw and Uliquorra endings. Does Ichigo like fighting or does he hate it? Is he doing it because he has to or because he's drawn to it? The story would have improved drastically if Ichigo had had consistent motivations. And yeah, if he had a proactive goal.

And maybe let some other characters be the main character for a while. I don't know.

I will say though, despite everything being massive inconsistent and nonsense, Kubo did manage to be far more creative than I ever could. Making new dumb things week after week is still really impressive.

Are the side things like Can't Fear Your Own World any good? I see people in this thread reference it a lot.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Visored voice effects were super cool, and I absolutely loved every time Hollow Ichigo spoke.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

What's there to explain, its power was 'sling acid -> kills'

That's it, that's the power.

Apparently whoever wrote the wiki understood what was happening better than I did because it claims she can manipulate blood with it and causes hallucinations and stuff. She can also break people's souls? Or something. Also, she can also heal her bankai because everyone can, of course.

Link

Also apparently there's an alternate timeline thing without Ichigo? There's a lot of Bleach stuff I was unaware of...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rody One Half posted:

you got hornswoggled by one of those fanfic wikis google sometimes surfaces man, that's not the actual Bleach wiki

Oh, I see, oops. I guess my brain processed "fan" and "fiction" independently and thought it was the wiki made by fans, lol.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Why does Unohana still look relatively young despite seeming to be as old as Yamamoto, who also looked relatively young in flashbacks but in the present appeared to be roughly 150 years old?

She remembered to moisturize.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yamamoto used to smoke a lot of soul ciggies in his youth.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rody One Half posted:

I got like, 10 pages in and stopped

congrats kubo, you couldn't get me to finish a pilot+4 chapter series

I wasn't sure at first if I'm just becoming less interested in these kinds of manga over time or if it's just genuinely bad. But the consensus seems to be "it bad."

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If this thread convinces me to read a Bleach novel, I'm gonna be mad! :mad:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I doubt the story would have better better or more coherent if he had been in better health or had had more time. Just look at any previous arc. The problem is, and maybe this is a problem with many works, Kubo didn't have a story to tell, he didn't have anything thought out ahead of time. It was all just a string of whatever he thought was cool at the time.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had always assumed it all happened in an instant, after all, it was meant to catch even Aizen off-guard. Still, it was pretty hilarious.

Also, Kyoraku is supposed to be the new Commander-General, but he get so easily taken out, lol.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So did Aizen become immortal when he fused with the gem or what? I feel like they declared he was immortal at his trial and that was the first mention of it. I also like that he is eventually due for release.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Four Great Nobles thing never got fully explained. It seems only the Kuchiki and Shihouin clans, as well as the fallen Shiba clan, get mentioned. The other two go off to join the blue wizards I guess. There's also some allusion to Ichigo's father being from one of the clans? I think?... And they never do explain why the Shiba clan fell from grace. I think someone said in this thread that the 5 house leaders were the ones to originally carve up the Soul King, right?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

I still can't get over all the scenes of a blind man looking at computer monitors

I tried looking this up and instead found a video where Aizen pulls out his katana for a couple seconds, doesn't say or do anything, but apparently that was enough to put Barragan under its spell. It seems like he can just do it whenever.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How does manga production work? How much of it is a collaboration? Does the mangaka not have the power to get a different editor?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

I think at least you can feel things about Chad, Orihime went from being a really fun character to a void. By the Sternritter arc she's just a glorified medkit.

At least they quietly did away with the annoying sprites / pixies / whatever.

Remember when Aizen said Orihime's power treads on God's domain?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to necro this thread, but I'm suddenly reminded how confusing it is that Soul Society even has poverty. And not just a little poverty, the entire afterlife is over 99% poverty. What resource exactly does the military have that the other people don't? It's not like they need food, and everything is made out of spirit particles. There's clearly no shortage of weapons for some reason.

Rukia's sister abandoned her because she couldn't take care of the baby Rukia, but ghost babies don't need anything.

It seemed like once people died, they became completely incompetent. I'm sure countless carpenters and engineers have died by now. Have one of them help you build a better house. They should also set up some kind of census. Get organized, people.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think they also just absorb energy of some sort from the atmosphere of Heuco Mundo which is why Nel and her friends are so chill with Ichigo and the others instead of seeing them as a walking buffet service. It's implied that hollows don't technically have to eat human souls to live, they do it because they want to.

So Orihime's brother wanted to kill her?

Remember when Rukia said they always kill Hollows from the back so they never see their faces? But I think that one single Hollow is the only one ever to be someone anyone knew as a not-Hollow.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that Kubo quickly realized how terrible the fairies were and never referenced them again.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Shinigami still need to oppress and cull the lower classes and genocide the Quincies.

I think Bleach is frustrating because while generally have ambiguously good or bad factions makes for an interesting story, Kubo absolutely refuses to explore any of that.

The Quincy are painted as being desperate to survive from the Hollow attacks because the Shinigami don't do enough, but their methods put the universe in danger. But then actually it doesn't matter and Ishida permanently eliminates thousands of people's grandparents souls with his can of bug spray arrows.

The Shinigami are evil, but then they aren't.

Even the Hollows become good guys by the end!

But the only thing that changes between before and after is that they are friends with Ichigo.

I think Renji is the only character with an arc, though I could be wrong.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I mean tbf most of the arrancar that were actively hostile or not in some way sympathetic were killed, so I wouldn't say they all became good guys by the end, and regular everyday hollows would still be around doing their thing.

Well, maybe not all of them, but I still stand by my statement that it was rather out of character given how their existence is otherwise described. Also, not sure how Grimmjow could be described as anything except actively hostile.

Though this is an exceptionally common trope in anime, so I guess it's whatever.

I'm also confused by the title of King of Hueco Mundo - does that actually bestow some kind of authority?
I vaguely remember there was some kind of armistice between Soul Society and Hueco Mundo because of Halibel? Or did I just imagine that?...

When Quincy die, do they go to Soul Society?

Where do dogs go when they die in the Bleach universe?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember some of the characters making weird insinuations about the gigais, so I had assumed that none of the ghosts could reproduce. Or maybe they just don't enjoy it? Such a weird thing. But then yeah, they have royal families and stuff, and Rukia has a kid. I guess that makes the children dead at birth? That's kind of grim...

I think it says somewhere that Rukia and her sister died as children.

The whole ghost anatomy thing is weird. They bleed, which is pretty unusual for a ghost. Unless they are extra spooky. :ghost:

They also have bonus organs in the form of a soul chain and sleep.

Also Nnoitra makes a big deal about how it's impossible for someone to survive being stabbed in the head, but then reveals he has an even bigger hole there instead. :downs:

Though I think most people had assumed the Shinigami and Hollows don't have actual organs like a brain or anything. I guess maybe they do?

This is obviously the least of Bleach's problems, but this is the kind of nonsense you end up with when you end up making ghosts fight to the double death I guess.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Rukia's sister and Ukitake both had ghost tuberculosis, so at least it isn't just the poverty ghosts who have problems

When a virus dies, a virus Shinigami shows up to send it to Soul Society where it has another chance to live a life of infecting people.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So they cut off this guy's limbs, and those limbs grew brains or what's happening here? Did they always have brains? That must have been awkward when he was alive. Imagine trying to eat a bowl of cereal and your left arm and heart want to kill you.

Also Ywach is the father of all Quincy, who is in turn the son of the Soul King? And Ichigo is one of his descendants. But then so is Ishida. So I guess the last arc is just everyone killing Ichigo's extended family on his mother's side.

Remember when Kubo wanted to have a big reveal, so he made Ywach look like Zangetsu just so that he could do "Ever wonder why Zangetsu looks like Ywach???" like it had been something that was being built up to instead of just dropped in at the last second.

I'm still mad that Kenpachi's shikai and bankai was completely useless. Why even include it?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Yammy revealed be was actually the strongest Hollow in existence, but then he immediately got casually defeated by Byakuya and Kenpachi?

Also there was that Death guy who seemed like he was going to be really important and I guess he nearly killed everyone, but he was just some rando.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kenpachi was obvious: in his fight against Ichigo, Zangetsu points out to Ichigo how Kenpachi's sword is working against him and blah blah blah, they are weaker because of it. Just make him stronger after he communes with his sword properly. He doesn't need anything fancy. I know that's already basically Ichigo's thing, but I think it's fine.

Also that Thor guy was basically all Kenpachi ever wanted in life, right? An unkillable foe.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Uru: "I have the strongest regeneration ability of all Hollows."
Uru seconds later: "Whelp, I'm dissolving now."

I'm still absolutely baffled why Ichigo wanted to cut off his own arm. Or why Orihime thought they were friends or something. Stockholm Syndrome I guess.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's funny too because Ichigo is on the verge of losing both those fights and only wins because his Hollow nearly finishes his opponent off for him.

It extremely felt like they were eventually going to reach some moment where Ichigo accepts this power within himself or something, but that never really happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ichigo's weird backstory thing involving a Hollow biting his mother and then his father needed a special gigai that sealed his power because something??? was super weird. I guess that makes the Hollow kind of one of his parents, right? He contributed himself to a fraction of his literal soul. Also some human soul got mixed in too somehow, right? Because Quincy soul isn't human. I think? I'm so confused...

How did Ichigo's dad know about the final getsuga if that was apparently his Quincy release ability?

I also think it's hilarious that Ichigo is granted the most supreme powers by merit of his birth, but his two sisters are indistinguishable from other humans.