Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah As Nodt was one of the cooler villains.

He honestly should have killed Byakuya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RealFoxy posted:

Soul Society is supposed to be heaven, Hueco Mundo is purgatory, and Hell is Hell. Except Soul Society has super poverty where you live there for hundreds to thousands of years stuck in the age you died in, sometimes with diseases you also had in life.

Souls are naturally born into Soul Society as well. Like the noble houses. Ukitake was born in Soul Society and was frail and sick from birth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RealFoxy posted:

If Soul Reapers did their job properly you live in Soul Society poverty. If not, you end up as a Hollow wandering around in Hueco Mundo. If you're a truly evil person you get to just gently caress things up until someone sends you to hell, which apparently isn't even permanent.

I think it’s supposed to be, but He’ll is forcing the door open.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RealFoxy posted:

At least Kubo explained that was because he had part of the Soul King in him I guess

No the Soul King fragment was just the only thing keeping him alive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s not really a retcon, as this stuff was never really expanded on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh I love Burn the Witch

Fun fact the new chapter is conveniently taking place the same year as Burn the Witch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chumbler posted:

I think it's less a cycle among the three than the other two being separate worlds in a cycle with the living world. If I remember right the whole reason the soul king separated everything and then was in permanent limbo keeping them separated was that without a separate world of the living things would stagnate and just kind of end up being a giant hollow or mass of reiatsu or something. The living world was necessary to keep things moving forward. I think hueco mundo was supposed to also be a paradise of sorts for hollows which would just innately keep them fed from the sands.

Apparently Hell predates the creation of Soul Society, the Human world, and Hueco Mundo by the Soul King. So it's something else.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

I'm hoping we get some interesting payoff for whatever the hell is going on with Ichigo's kid. He can transition between human and spirit form at will with no need for an external catalyst and does not leave a body behind when doing so, he's got some kind of school of spirit koi fish he can fly around on, and he can summon a spirit portal (or a hell portal?) without using his zanpakuto. Kid's got some poo poo going on.

Don’t forget about the Yhwach eyes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Aaroniero does count as both an espada and Ukitake's former vice-captain Kaien Shiba, he should have pretty good odds of making an appearance.

Aaroniero was also explicitly seen in Hell with Szayelaporro

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

Yeah, this chapter is following the Hell movies tie in comic, even using the same character. I 100% bet this is based on the original premise of Movie 4.

Nothing here conflicts with Movie 4 and the villains were prisoners of hell not part of its establishment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He has heard of Hell it showed up in an early chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

It first showed up when Grand Fischer was purified and he was sent straight to hell for his crimes.

Early Bleach until the end of the Soul Society Arc was :discourse:

Shrieker not Grand Fischer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, he heard of it once in passing over a decade ago and it never came up again (aside from the questionably canon movie).

Oh I don’t think the movies events are canon, but how things work in Hell in the movie has not been contradicted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If you ever get even a bite taken out of you, you won’t be able to get stronger and can only stave off regression into a mindless beast.

If you get a bite taken out of you a Hollow will no longer regress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

We know Kubo is cool using Nazi Font for a character with SS as initials and who wears a Nazi outfit and works for the heroes in Britian. Perhaps Kubo doesn't think killing innocent people in human experimentation is a bad thing?

She wears a military uniform, but my first thought when seeing Sullivan was not nazi. Many Countries use this style.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 8, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That image is a bit more damning however. I watched the anime so no stylized SS was in my face.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

Goooood question actually. Any Japanese fans know?

I think those were put in by Kubo in English. As all the names are stylized.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Chapter is officially out.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/bleach-special-one-shot-chapter-1/chapter/23085?action=read

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus there presence was only keeping Hell from opening. They still needed the Souls of three powerful Figures to open up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

Maybe you only go to hell if you're a Vasto Lorde? Szyael is specifically confirmed in Spirits are Forever With You to be a Vasto Lorde who was originally the strongest Espada, but because of some shenanigans he lost a ton of power and got temporarily kicked out until he rebuilt his power back up.

It could also just be that hollows only go to hell if they were evil during their human life as originally portrayed waaaaaay back in early Bleach, and if that's the case the backstory we got on what Szyael was up to as a human in SFWY definitely qualifies him for hell candidacy.

Aaroniero was a Gillian (Though one with unlimited potential) and he went to Hell with Szayelaporro. Notably Zommari and Nnoitora did not go to hell with them despite dying before Szayelaporro. So it's probably the same as early Bleach were they only go to Hell if the original human soul was evil.
Also I recall with Szayelaporro in that novel, that while he became Espada Cero because of his higher Reitsu before losing that power, he was still inferior to Barragan and has served as Barragan's subordinate before Aizen recruited them, because he had no way around Barragan's absurdly broken power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chumbler posted:

You've got hollows which are more or less individuals until they consume enough souls that they become a menos, which is a giant agglomeration of hollows, and needs to start consuming other hollows because human souls aren't enough. The lowest level menos are gillians, which includes menos grande and probably ones like grand fisher after it gets arrancar-ized. Menos with a particularly dominant soul are adjuchas which are stronger and more humanoid, and they need to keep consuming other hollows to avoid regressing to gillian and the dominant soul being consumed by the others. They'd be the sort of lieutenant parallel in the hollow hierarchy, and would be most 11+ numbered arrancar and some espada. Vasto lordes are the strongest hollows and essentially the captain or higher level ones, and it's apparently not the case that they come from just consuming way more hollows, but there is something more fundamental that determines whether one can become one.

Resurreccion is more or less shikai/bankai for arrancar where they gain more of their original hollow elements.

But really yeah just don't think about it too hard.

To be exact Menos Grande is just the proper name for a Menos Gillians being the lowest rank. Gillians will once in a while obtain their individuality, which grants them a different mask and sometimes appearance from the rest of the horde, and they will go on to consume other Menos unlike the others who tend to ignore them. These will evolve into Adjuchas who have a large variety of appearances and personalities, if they ever regress they can never become an Adjuchas again. Some top percentile of them can Evolve into Vasto Lordes who are supposed to be stronger then the average Captain. Barragan was apparently the first Vasto Lorde.

Any Hollow can become an Arrancar, which results in their mask breaking and some of their power being sealed into a weapon. With Aizen's Hogyoku this also came with a moderate power boost, but the primary positive before that was breaking the mask would prevent a Hollow from devolving, though they would no longer be capable of evolving either.

Captain Baal posted:

Despite this apparently most of the Espada were VLs including former ones (Nel, it seems) and it's taken a lot of supplementary material to confirm the rest (Szayel WAS one but downgraded to adjuchas at some point in a novel and Harribel's confirmed in anime as being one).

I believe the Top four were VLs. This includes Nel back when she was part of the top four.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Baal posted:

They do but those are mostly just more buzzwords used to spice up the characters I feel. The only Espada with some degree of meaningful character building are Nnoitora, Ulquiorra, Grimmjow, and Stark and out of them Stark and Nnoitora are the only ones that feel fully realized with regards to their respective aspects of death and actual characters. Ulquiorra's is just nihilism and yeah that tracks, but it's such an uninteresting development for him and ultimately Ulquiorra is a lot of wasted potential and Grimmjow's is just destruction which like... sure it could play into his character, but Grimmjow only ever displays this through wanton destruction in fights. His actual personality and philosophy doesn't play into it as much because he's largely just a braggart who has self-image issues.

Barragan was cool. He was a very basic character but he did his thing well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

Oh man, the four super Quincy guys Yhwach brought with him to face the royal guard were the absolute worst in that regard. I'm pretty sure each of them "died" like 4-5 times only to go "lol no" and drag their fights back out.

Apparently Lilie Barro the Sniper guy who turned into an owl is still alive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

So originally it was the top 4 Espada that were Vasto Lordes(not including Nel, she’s never been stated to be one) but it was retconned in one of the novels that 1-7 were all Vasto lordes, with Syazel being a former one. Meaning the only ones that weren’t were Aaroniro(the only Gillian espada due to his ability) and Yammy(whose silhouette was actually used when describing Adjuchas). As far as I can tell espada rank was literally just about pure spirit power though, that’s why Yammy was 0 after transforming but was still a chump.

By the way it seems like Ulquiorra was the only natural arrancar. Maybes that’s why he was special.

I thought Grimmjow was out right stated as being an Adjuchas. Also I think Starrk was a natural arrancar too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder if when it finishes if it will continue into the new Hell Stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Nothing much has happened since the first "season" of the manga and the movie adaptation.

Though it and the new arc of Bleach are taking place at the same time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MJeff posted:

Hisagi is loving terrified of his zanpakuto, right? That strikes me as a Yumichika-style "I'm doing this wrong, on purpose." type thing, which would be consistent with his character.

Shinji's is just kinda funny. So many of the like, super vets of Soul Society have these insanely high concept, super situational Bankais, then you have Yamamoto who's like "What if I nuked you?"

Any other bankais from the novels that weren't in the manga?

Apparently Aizen does not even have one.

Sydin posted:

I sill can't believe the fight between Rose, Kensei, and Mask de Masculine where both Rose and Kensei explain how their powers work and Mask immediately uses that knowledge to nullify how their powers work and just completely destroys them in a wrestling match. The Vizards actually, literally job because they can't help but explain their powers to the enemy in excruciating detail. It's phenomenal.

I wish Bleach had the Jujutsu Kaisen rule that explaining your power makes it's effect stronger. That way people explaining their moves would make more sense in story.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MJeff posted:

That's actually loving genius. Do I need to read this thing?

Jujutsu Kaisen is very good so I recomend it. The anime is beautiful as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

It's ok, won't blow you away. It's basically as if the Author just put a bunch of Shonen in a blender. It has a lot of stuff it could shed that it seems to only include because other manga did it.

I don't really get that impression.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

which was just stolen from HxH but stealing from Togashi is 100% the way to kick off a successful shonen

Only one character in HxH had that, and it was the condition to activate his power. In Jujutsu Kaisen it's a general ability that anyone can use if they have an ability.

But one of the best moments of it was a villain hitting two characters with his rotting technique and explaining how it works and saying he expects the girl to die from the rot in about 5 minutes and 7 minutes for the boy. Then thinking to himself "Now that I've explained it they will actually die even faster then that."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 24, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Parrotine posted:

Is this something that happened in the manga or the show? I don't remember hearing this plot point from the first season, maybe it hasn't appeared yet in the show

It happened in the show. Last episode of the season. Thought I made a mistake it was 15 and 10 Minutes.

If you where wondering when it was first mentioned. That was when Nanami first showed up.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 24, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can't you tank/negate basically any attack if you have enough reiatsu? I remember that being a plot point from way back.

I think Aizen states that if the Reiatsu difference between you and your opponent is large enough you can ignore most abilities. This is why he states Soifon's two hit kill does not work on him, however it's entirely possible he was bullshitting and Soifon was punching air.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

regardless of any problems with editors, kubo is still kubo. look at burn the witch, which he probably made without interference since it was a short vanity project. btw was purestrain kubo, and not in a good way.

I thought Burn the Witch has been solid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

i can't quite trust any of the warnings of doom that would inevitably occur if these assholes didn't take charge of the afterlife. ss is only what, 500 years old?

A few thousand and until the recent new chapter purposely kept in medieval stasis. At least that’s how the Japan Branch was.

As of the new chapter they are adopting new technology and styles from the living world they previously ignored.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lib and let die posted:

Is there an anime with as good an OST as Bleach? From the weird dissonant stuff to the intense symphonic poo poo, I don't think, note for note, Sagisu has produced anything as good as what he did for Bleach.

Jujutsu Kaisen has a great OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ3ZIBeLdcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMIRTVkchs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDUAWW4fgt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtRp6svwSY4

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 29, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zwingley posted:

It was a pretty great segment when Gin tells Ichigo 'yeah my shikai is 50 times the speed of sound' or whatever and Ichigo has to reason out how hosed he is and then why he actually isn't

Bankai. But yeah Gin later admits he was lying about how fast it was and how long it got.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I suspected the James and Masculine thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm glad Barragan gets a cult even in death.

It's kind of amazing how important Barragan was in the background of Bleach. Like according to the supplements even Aizen had no interest in messing with him if he was for some reason unable to get him under the effects of his Kyouka Suigetsu. (Though he correctly assumed Barragan would not avert his gaze and was not immune to it for some reason)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Ichigo gets no fights in the final arc besides Ywach and that group fight with the Quincy girl squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yhwach's powers I feel were not defined well enough. He was kind of just all powerful.