Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Most anime season twos have different names. Magia Record anime ends, Magia Record Darkness or + or ss or stars or whatever is made 6 months-a year later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I find it very unlikely they don't do a second cour, yeah.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Magia Record! is dead. Long live Magia Record!!.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks was all about classic deep Kyubei cuts!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I haven’t watched it yet, was this actually the last episode or is there more coming?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We have at least one more episode

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I believe at bare minimum this season was at least booked for 13 eps.

Really hope we get that second cour soon, I really like how things came together in this ep.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SatoshiMiwa posted:

And also about how little Magical Girls actually know about their condition. Seems nobody ever figures out how to ask the right questions until it's too late.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

And also about how little Magical Girls actually know about their condition. Seems nobody ever figures out how to ask the right questions until it's too late.

There might be Reasons Kyuubey preys primarily on young naive girls.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I believe at bare minimum this season was at least booked for 13 eps.

Really hope we get that second cour soon, I really like how things came together in this ep.

The mobile game’s story hasn’t been finished yet right? Getting a second cour would make sense considering they still have something to promote. If next week is the finale (for now at least), hopefully things will at least go out with a bang

Good episode this week, it’s nice to finally see Kyubey act like the manipulative little bastard I remember him as again (and like before, most of the girls he recruited didn’t know anything about what they were getting into).

Speaking of which, I never played the game but is it established whether this is the same Kyubey from Madoka or just an alternate version?

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

The mobile game’s story hasn’t been finished yet right? Getting a second cour would make sense considering they still have something to promote. If next week is the finale (for now at least), hopefully things will at least go out with a bang

Good episode this week, it’s nice to finally see Kyubey act like the manipulative little bastard I remember him as again (and like before, most of the girls he recruited didn’t know anything about what they were getting into).

Speaking of which, I never played the game but is it established whether this is the same Kyubey from Madoka or just an alternate version?

We're still in the beginning of chapter 9 right now in NA (out of 10 chapters for the first arc), JP has already made it to the first chapter of the second arc. I don't think there is a way to compress the last couple of chapters into a single episode, so it's more of a question of when the second season comes out than if it comes out.

Kyubey on the other only appears in magical girls stories about the past or that take place outside of Kamihama so they never really bring it up, but since they're a hivemind i'm going to go with yes.

I've kind of been inkling on the idea for a couple of episodes, but I think this one seals that they are going to end the season with the final scene being Yachiyo telling Iroha that she is breaking up the team for good, and then next season opening with Iroha giving her big speech and soloing the witch to get Yachiyo back on board. It just seems like too good of a breakpoint for them to not do it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, I forget if this was answered before but what’s the deal with the baby Incubator that’s currently following the group around?

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, I forget if this was answered before but what’s the deal with the baby Incubator that’s currently following the group around?

That actually hasn't been revealed on NA yet but I think it gets answered by the end of chapter 9. So that might be episode 20ish or something?

If you have to spoil yourself then:
The mini-kyubey is the corpse of the incubator that granted Touka, Nemu and Ui their wishes and had been implanted with the memories of Ui in an effort to keep her from turning into a witch(which somehow removed everybody's memories of Ui), and part of which is why it zeroes in on Iroha and restores some of her memories of Ui when picked up thus kicking off the game.
Although to be fair, since I had to rely on translations it's possible I could be wrong on the specifics.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

THEY GOT KAEDE

playing the game didn't prepare me for this

Mechadestroyer posted:

That actually hasn't been revealed on NA yet but I think it gets answered by the end of chapter 9. So that might be episode 20ish or something?

If you have to spoil yourself then:
The mini-kyubey is the corpse of the incubator that granted Touka, Nemu and Ui their wishes and had been implanted with the memories of Ui in an effort to keep her from turning into a witch(which somehow removed everybody's memories of Ui), and part of which is why it zeroes in on Iroha and restores some of her memories of Ui when picked up thus kicking off the game.
Although to be fair, since I had to rely on translations it's possible I could be wrong on the specifics.
drat it I accidentally hovered over this spoiler for .3 seconds and read the first bit :argh:

e: touka's whole shtick with the perpetual motion machine really fits, given that she was able to (ep 12) break another universal law just now. probably doesn't bode well that said machine exploded and set fire to a room though

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 22, 2020

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I like to think he's really proud of the "mahou shoujo" -> "majo" pun, and takes every chance he gets to explain it. It'll only work for as long as people are speaking contemporary Japanese, so he's gotta make the most of it while it lasts.

I always thought it was suspicious that Nemu and Touka had their full names listed in the credits. That's your first clue that they're more than minor characters. Or at least more important than Kuroe, who was just "Kuroe", with no first name. RIP Kuroe. I assume you're dead by now.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Kuroe is a pretty big mystery, not gonna lie. I was not expecting her to just disappear entirely. In fact, since I am reasonably sure that Magia Record will have a second (split) cour, I suspect Kuroe will play a big part in the second half. She was featured prominently in character marketing and had a big-name VA assigned to her, so there's no way they'd just remove her entirely. Or maybe they might, given that they originally marketed Madoka Magica as a precure-like magical girl series. I guess I can't put it past them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
But if it's intentional misdirection, you use her heavily in the first few episodes, then have her die to establish the stakes, right? If you can imagine Madoka ever doing something like that.

I guess there's still one episode left for her to do something this season. I was expecting her to show up again as one of the Wings, but it seems a bit late for that now.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/umeaoki/status/1243861744927117312

🦠<—Aoki Ume's doppel

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008
Hah, episode 13 is finally out on funimation and it was way better than I expected. I think I ended up liking the spot for their ending more too, hopefully the wait for the next half is measured in weeks and not months.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mechadestroyer posted:

Hah, episode 13 is finally out on funimation and it was way better than I expected. I think I ended up liking the spot for their ending more too, hopefully the wait for the next half is measured in weeks and not months.

I’m pretty confident it’s going to happen but has a second season been officially confirmed yet?

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty confident it’s going to happen but has a second season been officially confirmed yet?

Yeah, sorry, I forgot that space flowers post wasn't actually it.

https://twitter.com/magireco/status/1243923299370823681?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mechadestroyer posted:

Yeah, sorry, I forgot that space flowers post wasn't actually it.

https://twitter.com/magireco/status/1243923299370823681?s=20

Figured as much, hopefully the next half won’t be too far off now (and if they continue at the current rate I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a third or fourth season as well).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked this show a lot and am very much looking forward to more.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

I liked this show a lot and am very much looking forward to more.
:yeah:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i enjoyed that for the most part. turns out the madoka style is still fresh enough to carry a less tour-de-force-y story

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a good finale and it was nice to see Miki again even if it was kind of brief. The story seems to be in full swing now so I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the next half (which hopefully will be out before too much longer).

The characters don’t seem quite as memorable as the ones in Madoka but I’ve still been enjoying this overall.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mami continues to make sound solid choices yes

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I thought they might amp up the cliffhanger elements in this part to make a mid series break point, but I was pleased with the execution. The last 5 minutes were real nice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have to wonder how much of that was a choice. Between the glowing yellow eyes, confusing and obsessive monologue, weird portal in her forehead, and extra transformation, it sure seemed like nothing of this was completely willing from her part.

But I guess I won't know until next season because like hell I'm playing a gacha.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

the mobage is a much worse version of the plot so I wouldn't recommend it anyway

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah the already creepy cult lost any remaining sympathy this episode. They'll try to sell you on their thing, but if that doesn't work it's murder and/or brainwashing time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Yeah the already creepy cult lost any remaining sympathy this episode. They'll try to sell you on their thing, but if that doesn't work it's murder and/or brainwashing time.

Also if Iroha’s face changing briefly is any indication then it appears the Doppel ability has some side effects the cult leader (I forget her name) didn’t think to mention during the speech at the end. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Larryb posted:

Also if Iroha’s face changing briefly is any indication then it appears the Doppel ability has some side effects the cult leader (I forget her name) didn’t think to mention during the speech at the end. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Touka Satomi. The world's cutest fascist demagogue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The characters are honestly pretty forgettable except for (ironically) the invisible magical girl and the two leads. I more or less forgot who everyone else was except for the original Madoka cast and those three.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
tbh that's a bit due to how the main story is organized. Of the main five, Felicia is the one that depends most on side stories to get more dimensionality, and Tsuruno's character episode happens later, and everyone else is essentially secondary and there to pad out the world and have plotlines outside the main story. They actually changed some things to bring up Team Momoko's relevance compared to the game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have to wonder how much of that was a choice. Between the glowing yellow eyes, confusing and obsessive monologue, weird portal in her forehead, and extra transformation, it sure seemed like nothing of this was completely willing from her part.

But I guess I won't know until next season because like hell I'm playing a gacha.
I'm interested in the title card that appears when she makes her entrance. The English subtitles just say "The Uwasa of...", but if you look closely:

The rest of the name is hard to see, but it's there. It looks like it says 神浜聖女 "The Saint of Kamihama"? Bad vibes, man.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Really good finale, on a whole the anime so far has delivered pretty much everything I wanted out of this adaptation

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
that was a good finale for this season, and Aoki Ume's end card was cute.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean. It continues the pattern of her actually being the least stable of the original cast, even if half her actions this episode were obviously not completely under her control.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The thing on her forehead was just her soul gem's emblem form. Creepy as gently caress that she basically turned into a emotionless weapons platform after her transformation. Also, this fight made me wonder how powerful the original team was, considering Yachiyo barely held off brainwashed Mami; Sayaka was able to fend off Doppel Mami's nuke (regrowing full limbs in the process :psyduck: ); and Doppel Yachiyo + Doppel Iroha still couldn't really do poo poo against Doppel Mami.

With the last line call out, I think it would be pretty neat if [speculation] this loop is how Homura learned Walpugis Nacht's name and origin since that isn't really covered in the original series.

Edit: Overall, I was kind of lukewarm on this season (even if it is still top third of anime from the last couple seasons). But that last episode definitely got me hype for what's coming up.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

With the last line call out, I think it would be pretty neat if [speculation] this loop is how Homura learned Walpugis Nacht's name and origin since that isn't really covered in the original series.
Not specifically, but Mami knew it was coming in the original original timeline, so she probably learned it from her. And presumably Mami learned it from Kyubey.