Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

kazr posted:

Got this five spice mix and it suuuucks. It's like 80% cinnamon and tastes terrible

Shiiiit I just picked a random image of 5 Spice. The container of 5 Spice that I have looks like one of those toy spice containers that a drat baby would have. The listed ingredients just says:

"Ingredients: Spices"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If your food tastes like it needs something it's almost always salt and/or acid, not spices

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

poverty goat posted:

If your food tastes like it needs something it's almost always salt and/or acid, not spices

My mushrooms we're bland so I put a little acid on them and now I'm tripping way too hARD

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
OP just look up spices/herbs for the flavor profile you’re going for. I tend to season a lot of my “American” food similarly with a lot of parsley and basil. “Mexican” food will have cumin, paprika, and various ground Chiles. “Italian” food oregano, thyme etc etc etc.

And obviously salt, pepper, garlic with everything. Once you have a general sense of the style of food you are going for you’ll just pick up over time specific additions that help specific proteins or dishes. Usually I don’t really use recipes outside of baking stuff but I’ll still briefly google whatever I plan on cooking and might notice some spices that I’ll want to add and next time I cook that thing It’ll already be in the back of my head.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

paprika is the one true spice. love me some chicken paprikash.

poverty goat posted:

Generally though, it's this. use a little more salt than you think you need, and keep lots of lemons and limes on hand for acid. Also, salt at the end to taste so you don't end up overdoing it. It generally isn't going to matter if you add it at the end vs while cooking.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I agree with the paprika suggestion.

If you want a delicious and easy to make snack, try this: heat up some white rice. Take a little butter and mix it up into the rice. Then, add some paprika to it and mix it around a bit.

Fuckin delicious.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i like seshjuans

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m pretty sure every spice is good to put on food, it’s kind of the definition of a spice. I guess El Yucateco red and orange are pretty good on pizza, tacos, and eggs. El Yucateco brown is good in chili, but I find it a bit onion-heavy to use as a condiment itself. El Yucateco green is good in chicken soup, but it’s got that god-awful alien-green color to it, so it’s best not to look at your food after applying it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

sometimes it's some sweetness (I like honey) AND some acid AND some salt.

Demisexual Papyrus
Jan 6, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that thread is a scary reminder of how white SA is lmao

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Dill is good on salmon. Fresh is best but dry under lemon wedges will cook nicely

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Demisexual Papyrus posted:

that thread is a scary reminder of how white SA is lmao

It'd be white if everyone was just saying "who needs spice? just deep fry it."

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Biohazard posted:

paprika is the one true spice. love me some chicken paprikash

Goulash with a ton Hungarian hot paprika simmered in a low oven all goddamn day :getin:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Goulash with a ton Hungarian hot paprika simmered in a low oven all goddamn day :getin:
im going to make a goulash

with extra spice

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Hot sauce is not a flavor.
If your food is so tasteless your only choice is to add hot sauce, then you are doing it wrong.
I enjoy both Indian and Mexican food, but when your sauce is so hot that you cannot even taste the food any more then you have lost the point of good tasting food.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Methanar posted:

I tried this stuff for the first time a few weeks ago.

Its actually really good.

Waddaya mean, "actually?"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

OgNar posted:

If your food is so tasteless your only choice is to add hot sauce, then you are doing it wrong.
I enjoy both Indian and Mexican food, but when your sauce is so hot that you cannot even taste the food any more then you have lost the point of good tasting food.
sounds like you are a little baby who cant take the heat

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

OgNar posted:

The secret here is that heat is relative. To someone who regularly consumes spicy hot foods, they don't get that same burning overload you do and indeed enjoy the flavor underneath it. To someone that eats a lot of hot things, their globs of chili oil in their pho add a lot of flavor and less sensation of heat than someone new to spicy things putting a couple squirts of tapatio on their eggs.

It's like any other strong flavor, it's an acquired taste and the acquisition is just getting used to whatever the strong component is and learning to enjoy the subtleties underneath. Think of black coffee or fermented foods.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just lol if you don't like sweating profusely and turning beet red when you eat

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

OgNar posted:

Shut up stupid

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Glenn Quebec posted:

Shut up stupid

Enjoy your burning sensation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

OgNar posted:

Enjoy your burning sensation.

They clearly do, fortunately it's none of your business.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Spice melange on everything until your eyes turn blue.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

OgNar posted:

Flavor is overrated then.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Geemer posted:

Spice melange on everything until your eyes turn blue.

The spice melange was based on the personal experiences of Frank Herbert with mescaline. You should all put mescaline on everything you eat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What do you think about a restaurant where part of the dining experience is your waiter running a freshly sliced jalapeño across your taint

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

bird with big dick posted:

What do you think about a restaurant where part of the dining experience is your waiter running a freshly sliced jalapeño across your taint

Good jalapeno or that crap from A&M?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sounds spicy

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

It’s a waste of time and energy, an absurd affectation, like wiping the table of crumbs. Everybody who is serious about dining brings their own scotch bonnets to administer between courses.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It’s a waste of time and energy, an absurd affectation, like wiping the table of crumbs. Everybody who is serious about dining brings their own scotch bonnets to administer between courses.

Wow, way to completely disregard that server's training and dedication to flawless service. Maybe if you'd studied this in a more indepth way that just reading hipster foodblogs you wouldn't need a scotch bonnet to get results.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

OgNar posted:

The Mild Salsa Buyer

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

R.L. Stine posted:

The Mild Salsa Buyer

I love spicy food but I will die on the hill that mild is the best sauce at Taco Bell.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

R.L. Stine posted:

The Mild Salsa Buyer

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Lot of people listing herbs itt.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Lot of people listing herbs itt.

:boom:FRESH MINT:boom:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Keep this in your pantry and put it on anything that's even remotely savory. This is the secret Big Flavor doesn't want you to know

It's true!
Here in Australia everyone's terrified of the dreaded MSG. Yet heaps of people LOVE Chicken Salt, and seem fine with potato chips coated in "Flavour Enhancer (621)" :thunk:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like smoked or hot Hungarian paprika. Cayenne pepper is great, too. A local tea & spice store has a "blackened rockfish rub" that's good on any meat. It's salt free, so you can salt it to your own preference.
Just make what you like and try new recipes that sound good, IDK.

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

It's true!
Here in Australia everyone's terrified of the dreaded MSG. Yet heaps of people LOVE Chicken Salt, and seem fine with potato chips coated in "Flavour Enhancer (621)" :thunk:

A shitload of people in the US are terrified of it, as well. We made beef bulgogi and mandoo at my SIL's house, and my mom was freaking out over MSG being in the recipe.
People are afraid for the same reason a bunch of "fat free!" food is marketed as "the healthier option!"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I had a spice once. Didn't much care for it no sirree

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

can we merge this with the spice girls megathread

GINGER SPICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OgNar posted:

There is good hot sauce that has both heat and flavor and I lose my mind whenever I discover a new one.

Everyone go buy a bottle of Green Marie Sharps. Its good.