Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

If had to choose, the closest approximation would be "homie"

Does anyone here have friends? What does the word 'friend' mean to you? I've noticed the word 'friend' is not a very friendly word. If a stranger calls you 'friend' how do you respond? This thread is a meditation on the word 'friend'. If you speak another language, I would love to hear the nuance of the word. Let's chat, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You came to the wrong neighborhood friendo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nakama, not Namaka.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Gohan means rice!?! Holy poo poo that explains everything :goku:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Mozi posted:

Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Finally, someone who makes sense

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Barudak posted:

Nakama, not Namaka.

oh no i did a typo can you fix it?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Colonel Cancer posted:

You came to the wrong neighborhood friendo

friendo. good point. What does "friendo" mean contextually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hell astro course posted:

oh no i did a typo can you fix it?

Yes and I resisted the urge to poke fun at you when I did so, nakama.

Honestly it just translates to "close friend". We use it in all our corporate speak

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Barudak posted:

Yes and I resisted the urge to poke fun at you, nakama

thank you friend. a friend may always poke fun. it is part of the pact of friendship

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We deal in lead, friend.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Sunswipe posted:

We deal in lead, friend.

friend. what is your word for friend. do you believe friendship is real?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've always been confused how a concept couldn't be approximated in other languages I mean couldn't you just be so specific that you kinda get the picture? Like Nakama might not exactly mean 'Homie' but surely with all of the other words in the english language we could define more closely why Homie wouldn't be a completely appropriate translation and in doing so we'd stumble onto a better translation?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

reignofevil posted:

I've always been confused how a concept couldn't be approximated in other languages I mean couldn't you just be so specific that you kinda get the picture? Like Nakama might not exactly mean 'Homie' but surely with all of the other words in the english language we could define more closely why Homie wouldn't be a completely appropriate translation and in doing so we'd stumble onto a better translation?

I agree. I hope to explore this in this very thread. Is friendship real? what does it mean? is the concept of 'friendship' mutual? I don't believe it is.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got invited to a worship party once where everyone that was in on the scene was using technology to force some kind of simulated friendship with one guy. Some guy described it as “well some people really like it, some people don’t so much” and his tone was such that the people who don’t like it were somehow crappy people and not holy or ready to receive the love of “god”. Turns out it was just their disposition on a forced friendship with one guy, not god, and has nothing to do with how cool they are or how much they should progress with knowledge or the scene, but that’s how it was set up and that’s why so many people were mean and lovely together within the scene and that’s why it fell apart before it even got started, because nobody was making their own opinions. Anyways partying with people who are “friends” before they have actual knowledge of you, haven’t seen, heard, smelled, touched, is extraordinarily frustrating and elicits a great deal of shame and awkwardness that wouldn’t be there if friendship wasn’t forced unnaturally. People talk mad happy butterflies and poo poo but can’t look you in the eye, and they don’t want to get to know you, because it doesn’t reflect what they think they already know. Friendship without knowledge is like falling in love with a pen pal, it’s probably gonna be different than you imagined when you meet them and probably not in a good way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EdgyCoffeeMug
Jan 11, 2019

stop downloading one piece fansubs, just buy the official blue-ray release

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I got invited to a worship party once where everyone that was in on the scene was using technology to force some kind of simulated friendship with one guy. Some guy described it as “well some people really like it, some people don’t so much” and his tone was such that the people who don’t like it were somehow crappy people and not holy or ready to receive the love of “god”. Turns out it was just their disposition on a forced friendship with one guy, not god, and has nothing to do with how cool they are or how much they should progress with knowledge or the scene, but that’s how it was set up and that’s why so many people were mean and lovely together within the scene and that’s why it fell apart before it even got started, because nobody was making their own opinions. Anyways partying with people who are “friends” before they have actual knowledge of you, haven’t seen, heard, smelled, touched, is extraordinarily frustrating and elicits a great deal of shame and awkwardness that wouldn’t be there if friendship wasn’t forced unnaturally. People talk mad happy butterflies and poo poo but can’t look you in the eye, and they don’t want to get to know you, because it doesn’t reflect what they think they already know. Friendship without knowledge is like falling in love with a pen pal, it’s probably gonna be different than you imagined when you meet them and probably not in a good way.

now look here friend

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
why didn't they just use "my crew"

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Goku translates directly into "racist"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Imagine if you had to tell close to a million people that a lot of the thoughts and feelings and prejudices they have felt since 1985 are p much a bunch of bullshit, and only like a couple thousand of those people tried to seek actual knowledge and not prejudice.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Imagine if you had to tell close to a million people that a lot of the thoughts and feelings and prejudices they have felt since 1985 are p much a bunch of bullshit, and only like a couple thousand of those people tried to seek actual knowledge and not prejudice.

it's called being brave

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

it sounds like you're talking about agape. the true love. maybe the only love there is. a non sexual spiritual love.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hell astro course posted:

it sounds like you're talking about agape. the true love. maybe the only love there is. a non sexual spiritual love.

Combine that with the knowledge of ecstasy and you get a bunch of crappy gross sex and savior complexes.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Agape means perfect unconditional love and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to achieve unless you are God. People will always let you down. Even those that love you the most will eventually die and leave you alone.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I guess goatman has mastered agape

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

terminal chillness posted:

Agape means perfect unconditional love and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to achieve unless you are God. People will always let you down. Even those that love you the most will eventually die and leave you alone.

What if you die first

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
This is why people still like Nirvana

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That’s bullshit, nobody loves everybody and that’s an unreal expectation of anyone.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

you can't be let down if you don't want anything in return

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

That’s bullshit, nobody loves everybody and that’s an unreal expectation of anyone.

I would never expect anyone to. but why not try? isn't that just being a..... nakama

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agape would actually mean “a gorge” when you get to that stage of evolution because you can’t say Ps in that state. It’s not like hidden or hard to get to, but most people have their own opinion and their own way.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Agape would actually mean “a gorge” when you get to that stage of evolution because you can’t say Ps in that state. It’s not like hidden or hard to get to, but most people have their own opinion and their own way.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

loving lol, hop on the glide, try it out.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
It's okay to say nakama, as long as you don't use the hard R.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
whats good my 仲間

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

while 'nakama' can be translated easily to english, many american english words cannot be translated to japanese, e.g. "cravalicious", "nachotastic", "ennui-blasted"

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I am okama

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
So how do you say the n word in Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015