Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The word friend has not been used by anyone to refer to me in since I was in my early 20s and I am grateful for it. Having friends means having obligations, increased complexity in one's life, and, inevitably, loss. I know I'm in the minority for feeling that way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Hakuna Nakama
what a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Nakama
Ain't no pa

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The word friend has not been used by anyone to refer to me in since I was in my early 20s and I am grateful for it. Having friends means having obligations, increased complexity in one's life, and, inevitably, loss. I know I'm in the minority for feeling that way, though.

You are correct. Having a friend is basically an impossible dream that cannot be achieved. That is why we have fiction.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I hate the trend of saying "NTR'd" instead of "cucked", though obviously the latter has unseemly political connotations. Weeb or Nazi - the channers dillemna

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hell astro course posted:

You are correct. Having a friend is basically an impossible dream that cannot be achieved. That is why we have fiction.

Oh it would be so easy if there was anyone who could look you directly in your eyes. Pouting like “I know there’s maple syrup in this thing what the deal friendo”.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Daikloktos posted:

I hate the trend of saying "NTR'd" instead of "cucked", though obviously the latter has unseemly political connotations. Weeb or Nazi - the channers dillemna

Oh no what happened to Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao's legacy???

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it’s one of those words you can only say if you know. Like keehnaum

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I don't know the context of the op in regards to the Japanese word, but I think friend can come with the idea of an exchange between two people. Homie has a more familial connotation, like brother.

So yes, friendship exists as a notion of mutually beneficial relationship, but the greater thing is altruistic behavior towards all.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it’s like whatever sort of loose and generalized definition I could use to include myself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can';t believe the entire time in 20th century boys they were using tomodachi instead of nakama

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I forgot to feed my tomodachi :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
back when tamagotchi's were a thing i remember uk media being obsessed with them and the person who had the record for longest living one

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

swear on me mum m8

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Got no friends only twinks

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

There is no direct translation for the English phenomena known as "egg friend"

The closest linguists have gotten is the disappointing "egg man"

Further research is needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

back when tamagotchi's were a thing i remember uk media being obsessed with them and the person who had the record for longest living one

i still think the idea is kind of neat. i had a digimon (digital monster) as a kid and it was fun battling it w/ my brother. i know these days there's probably phone apps for this but it would still be neat to have a separate device for it somehow. maybe it already exists, i dunno