Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/dennou319/status/1245230725055410177?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1245340244653805572?s=19

Not an April's fool as far as I can tell, let the man rest

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

As awesome as that is and as much as I would want one, I now can't stop seeing :goatsecx: Just needs a ring on one of the laces.

Being on this forum has really poisoned my mind, hasn't it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1245340244653805572?s=19

Not an April's fool as far as I can tell, let the man rest

I'd imagine he's still working on Inu-Oh in some capacity, but yeah, he's been doing a lot.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
First episode of the live-action adaptation came out. Kanamori's backpack isn't shoes, 0/10

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1237476853075439616?s=19

Sometimes

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Season 2 will be produced by Trigger and Kanamori will bounce between 'tall girl' and 'small godzilla' in scenes depending on how intimidating she's being.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Season 2 will be produced by Trigger and Kanamori will bounce between 'tall girl' and 'small godzilla' in scenes depending on how intimidating she's being.

This will only make minimori more adorable. Could you live with yourself if that happened?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

It's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

History will judge you as this era's great hero, or its greatest monster.

For now, all we can do is wish you luck on your mad quest.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Happy Landfill posted:

Edit: Oh god! How could I forget to mention Kanamori loving band sawing her way into the room to unlock the door and kick her way in? I had to rewind it and show my roommate. This show is too good
I didn't quite follow what happened there. The guy who was tazed and expelled was in that room, right?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I didn't quite follow what happened there. The guy who was tazed and expelled was in that room, right?

Kanamori forced her way into the office of the group contracted to produce the DVDs to stay within the deadline.
The guy used school funds to run that business.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/corantus_/status/1249870988696829954?s=19

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lurking Haro posted:

Kanamori forced her way into the office of the group contracted to produce the DVDs to stay within the deadline.
The guy used school funds to run that business.

Ohhhhhh, that makes so much more sense now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Ohhhhhh, that makes so much more sense now.

It was also a Ghost in the Shell homage. So that's an extra layer of fun to things.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

I think the most fascinating part of the finale was the way the ending and the message changed in the process of hastily producing the final product. It went from optimistic hope that we'll someday be able to see the humanity inherent in our most dire of enemies to a more somber examination of how your best-laid plans won't turn out the way you wanted, and that a momentous undertaking will cost more than you're initially prepared to pay. Definitely feels like the tumultuous creative process bled a little into that ending.

Still, everything seems to have worked out for the better, even if it didn't work out for the very best. The ending was a little wobbly, but overall, I like this series a lot and I'd kill for another season of these three fun and colorful girls doing their thing.

However, I will admit that I laughed out loud at them pulling out their umbrellas to shield themselves from the big issues because of that one Onion comic about Whiskey Sours.

i took the whole series as allegory and interpreted the last minute musical limitation to represent reality’s audible doomsday clock, and the change it forces in their anime is from a message of long-term hope to a message of short-term absolution

so far of all the anime ive seen only this and space dandy manage to completely nail social commentary without sacrificing verisimilitude. in space dandy its because the setting is so precisely suited to its narrative, and in eizoken its because every frame of animation is inherently commentary on itself.

i also just watched carole and tuesday, which feels like a massive failure in retrospect because it has largely the same narrative beats as eizoken but every one of them lands with a thud because the idea of a band that makes music to change the world is a rotted cliche and the animation does nothing to improve this impression. the music is fine but it forces the animation to take a backseat and the show suffers hugely for it.

both eizoken and c&t can be summarized as, “artistic team in vaguely fictionalized version of reality sets out to fulfill their passion, and fights a society that stifles expression.” but in carole and tuesday this ends up being a bunch of rotoscoped vocoder performances of mediocre electronica and some pretty decent folk songs broken up by tired scenes of characters saying music isnt what it used to be, but it can be again, and we as people can be good again too.

in eizoken the team is of animators, and the fruit of their labor is beautiful and compelling animation, and the thesis of the show is that animation justifies itself. and because the show has this premise, every single thing that happens is both a showcase of talent, skill and dedication to craft, and a perfect deconstruction of the society that discourages those very things.

ultimately, the best moment of this anime, and my personal best moment of television ever, is when asakusa says that kanamori isnt her friend, shes her comrade.

the eizoken as a trio are a perfect little metaphor for the state of humanity’s creatives: asakusa is an insular architect of worlds, an imaginative genius that has zero outlet for their work because it isnt a commodity. she might have already produced a great variety of beautiful and compelling animation if there wasnt constant pressure from society not to waste time on art without a compelling economic motivator.

tsubame is a sheltered upper-class kid that has gained a unique and beautiful outlook that doesnt just inform her art, but defines it; however, anything she makes becomes a commodity due to her fame and status, and she fears that her art wont be judged on its own merits for this reason. despite this she recognizes that the art is all that really matters and gladly debases herself in order to advertise it. and kanamori....

kanamori is the strongest heart of the show. shes the worker raised in a global economy to understand that even the intrinsic value of labor is up for debate, and that only by understanding the ways this value can be stripped from you can you prevent that very loss. and thats what she does throughout the show: at every turn, society tries to stifle and staunch the eizoken, and kanamori is always there to protect their labor and its value. and it isnt monetary value shes protecting: its the cumulative emotion and love that artists put into their work, that corporate and monied interests always seek to commodify. kanamori represents the ideal ally to art in the 21st century: seasoned, tired workers who have maybe finally found something more worthy of their efforts than lining the pockets of their boss.

so, to me, an unskilled laborer who doesnt know numbers, forever resigned to shoveling the snow in front of a store that actively resents attempts to improve the value of its services, the concept that i can put my experience to use protecting creatives and artists instead of watching as their talent is wrung from them to nobodys gain is perhaps the most optimistic and inspiring story ive seen on television, ever.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the three-fold allegory of the lower-class artist taking inspiration from the worn-out gutterworld that surrounds her, the upper-class model that is compelled by her unique upbringing to isolate and highlight the most meaningful gestures shes encountered, however minor, and the working-class warrior thats finally found a righteous cause for which to fight.....folks, this is god tier anime.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
next level poo poo: this scene is about organized labor leveraging the depraved habits of global power brokers into better conditions for workers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3JmVhwX3Xc
the numbers theyre negotiating at the start are an obvious double entendre for ages of victims

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 16, 2020

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

scary ghost dog posted:

it isnt monetary value shes protecting

:thunk:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

her obsession with money is shorthand for her knowledge of how to transform art and artistic labor into a format consumable by the world at large (she is the hammer that pounds animation into anime)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

scary ghost dog posted:

her obsession with money is shorthand for her knowledge of how to transform art and artistic labor into a format consumable by the world at large (she is the hammer that pounds animation into anime)

I think she likes helping her friends, but she's also focused on money as a means to personal security and fulfillment and the art is a means to both of those more than some personal care about presenting art to the world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I think she likes helping her friends, but she's also focused on money as a means to personal security and fulfillment and the art is a means to both of those more than some personal care about presenting art to the world.

Yeah, Kanamori cares about making a good product and keeping her comrades satisfied, but she likes money more than she likes anime.

The thing about her is that her love of cold hard cash is complemented by her love of seeing good businesses thrive, rather than conflicting with it. She can tell that Asakusa and Mizusaki are really good at making anime in addition to pasionate about it, and she works to get that done as best possible, because she likes good work. Anime, she can take or leave.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
https://files.catbox.moe/wz9ji4.mp4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, Kanamori cares about making a good product and keeping her comrades satisfied, but she likes money more than she likes anime.

The thing about her is that her love of cold hard cash is complemented by her love of seeing good businesses thrive, rather than conflicting with it. She can tell that Asakusa and Mizusaki are really good at making anime in addition to pasionate about it, and she works to get that done as best possible, because she likes good work. Anime, she can take or leave.

Kanamori specifically is an interface for the harsh reality of the world. She’s aware that the team would be absolutely thrown to the wolves if she wasn’t there as a steward to protect and advocate for her friends.

If you ever want to check in on the some of the bleakest poo poo in the world, the https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt account is a great way to stare into the abyss.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/riinaririn/status/1252373298643521536

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Cloud's money obsessed, Tifa's popular, and Aerith is the weirdo, huh?

Fits better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Cloud's money obsessed, Tifa's popular, and Aerith is the weirdo, huh?

Fits better than I expected.