Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
NOW SHOWING:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! is the hot new show from noted director Masaaki Yuasa Midori Asakusa in colaboration with animator Eunyoung ChoiTsubame Mizusaki as part of studio Science SaruCOMPLETELY OWNED BY Sayaka Kanamori.

Based on a manga series by Sumito Ōwara Asakusa's original ideas DO NOT STEAL, the story is about three kids who set out to make an animeCRAZY ADVENTURES IN A FUTURISTIC SPACE CITY, THE GREATEST WORLD.

Crew

Midori Asakusa - Director/Background art/Concept design
Anime nerd level: *****
Art skills: *****
Social skills: **

Tsubame Mizusaki - Key animation/Character design
Anime nerd level: ****
Art skills: ****
Social skills: ***
Overbearing parents: *****

Sayaka Kanamori - Producer
Anime nerd level: *
Art skills: *
Social skills: ****
Capitalism skills: ****

Watch it on Crunchyroll! https://www.crunchyroll.com/keep-your-hands-off-eizoukenin a weird run down laundromat after school, go see it you anime club nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Show reminds me of something in between Shirobako and Dennou Coil. (I love both of those)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

anime of the season

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This feels like it came out of nowhere and it already owns.

The concept art sequence is brilliant.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Me watching Eizouken

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Having a bunch of the sound effects in the concept art bit just being the girls making noises was really funny

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The dragonfly plane concept art sequence was so dynamic sketching it hurt

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Draxion posted:

Having a bunch of the sound effects in the concept art bit just being the girls making noises was really funny

And now I'm thinking of that Baragon video again.

Seldom a bad thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sayaka's backpack is good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there were a lot of future boy conan references this episode which i imagine will fly over the heads of most of the (western) audience. the city design, chase sequences, the plane escape i'm all fairly sure are references. the characters as well, the main girl can be seen as an expy for conan, while the rich girl fits more the role of lana. i'm not sure who the tall one is supposed to be though, as she doesn't easily fit in any of conan's character except maybe the captain cause of her greed

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
This was a really fun first episode.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
easy breezy beautiful. covergirl. the op is really good even with that joke i just made.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

there were a lot of future boy conan references this episode which i imagine will fly over the heads of most of the (western) audience. the city design, chase sequences, the plane escape i'm all fairly sure are references. the characters as well, the main girl can be seen as an expy for conan, while the rich girl fits more the role of lana. i'm not sure who the tall one is supposed to be though, as she doesn't easily fit in any of conan's character except maybe the captain cause of her greed

The plane escape being a reference was pretty clear just watching the episode, since they did the same push-launch in the clip of Conan within the show.

But yeah. I didn't pick up most of that. Guess Future Boy Conan moved up a couple notches on my "to watch" list.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

First episode was super good. Praise be to Yuasa.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That whole first episode was absolutely delightful. Don't remember the last time I was watching something and was just smiling the whole time.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Whoever owns the rights to Future Boy Conan should just get Masaaki Yuasa to remake it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cool anime

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Got so many FLCL and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi vibes from this. Excellent start.

The control panel sound effects during that last segment being done with voice acting was hilarious.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Magical Shopping Arcade Ashirobako

edit: lol drat you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The design of the town/college and the concept art is crack for my inner child. The waterfall city looked like it was straight out of Dinotopia.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I don't always vibe with Yuasa's stuff but when I do it's this show (I also really digged Kaiba and his shorts for Wakfu and Adventure Time)

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
This was GREAT. Kanamori owns.

I wonder if the OP animation is gonna be updated halfway throughout the show. It gives me that feeling of "we left dead air in there so we could change it later" within the first 30 seconds.

The anime club screening scene be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16PAGIcIf9g

Phimose Knight fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
wow episode 1 was ridiculously wholesome. the background art for this is insane. my wife said a lot of it reminded her of early Naruto panoramas, in addition to the super obvious Ghibli stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Phimose Knight posted:

This was GREAT. Kanamori owns.

:hai:

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

easy breezy beautiful. covergirl. the op is really good even with that joke i just made.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
thank you

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Kanamori simply Kaiki with a wig?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

kanamori is the best wingman

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This show legitimately owns and I will watch every episode with bated breath.

Kanamori is the best by the way.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I'm really liking this! It's cool how the background settings are wild and imaginative but also very believable as urban spaces where actual people live, and the character designs are great and distinctive and expressive. Just seeing those two elements interact already sells the joy of animation all on its own. I wore a smile through most of the episode.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
This is one of the most beautiful animes I've seen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's Yuasa for you.

Its actually appropriate that the main character is a concept designer as I feel that's one or Yuasa's greatest strengths.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 6, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Grouchio posted:

Is Kanamori simply Kaiki with a wig?

It's only in the broadest of terms but this trio gives me vague vibes of the original Gainax trio as depicted in Aoi Honoo

Hopefully Kanamori won't be trying to bilk Midori for the IP rights to all the classics she helped create in 40 years time

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
What a good first episode. Kanamori rules and knows the value of a good producer/editor that wants to make fat stacks of cash with these excited nerds, enabling them in the process.

Davincie posted:

Apparently they couldn't get permission to just include Future Boy Conan, which led to this:

Eunyoung Choi posted:

Ah, we didn’t get permission (laughter throughout the room). It’s owned by Nihon Animation, and the situation was complicated. They supported us to get permission, but eventually, we couldn’t. Instead, we had to follow and copy every single frame from Future Boy Conan. We wanted to make it precisely like how it originally was. I’m a big fan of the show, and even though there’s no creativity from us copying it, being able to see the exact same shots in our project was very exciting.

We were happy we could put the scene from Conan into the episode.
Full interview

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao this rules

https://twitter.com/NanamisEgg/status/1196918043424763907

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oh and there's a sakuga blog writeup.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Bold move to make the anime of the year come out right at the start

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Bold move to make the anime of the year come out right at the start

2018 opened with "A Place Further Than the Universe". If I remember right, it was even the first anime of the season.

2019 had Mob start on January 7th.

What I'm saying is, opening with a strong AotY contender's a bit of a tradition at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean hell, Yuasa's own Devilman Crybaby also came out on January 5 of 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So, what I’m hearing is, it’sall downhill from here...:gbsmith: