Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Think of the rules as the fantasy equivalent of the grumpy old men and it feels more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

If it were me running this I'd shave off all that garbage, simplify the league to WHOMST WILL WIN THE MOST BOUTS (of your 5 subdivisions), make a non-trash spreadsheet that can actually handle a basic ruleset, and then let it run to find out who is the yokogoonest of them all.

Jason (from Jason's All-Sumo channel) literally runs this exact contest and usually it works out okay but this January I was one of 18 people tied for first place. :shrug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Brut posted:

Jason (from Jason's All-Sumo channel) literally runs this exact contest and usually it works out okay but this January I was one of 18 people tied for first place. :shrug:

So then make all of the goofy meaningless poo poo into a bunch of tiebreaks.

Smaller fields are going to lead to a narrower range of scores so it's not surprising that the basho with a billion people out for covid has a tonne of people bunched up at the top. Were there that many ties for the first in the other months or is this one an outlier?

anakha posted:

Think of the rules as the fantasy equivalent of the grumpy old men and it feels more appropriate.

Do the grumpy old men do literally anything to make the sport better? I've only been paying attention to sumo for a year or two and it seems like they care more about tradition than the health and safety of the competitors, or the entertainment of the fans.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

So then make all of the goofy meaningless poo poo into a bunch of tiebreaks.

Smaller fields are going to lead to a narrower range of scores so it's not surprising that the basho with a billion people out for covid has a tonne of people bunched up at the top. Were there that many ties for the first in the other months or is this one an outlier?

Nah it was an outlier, which is what I was trying to say when I wrote "usually it works out okay", on top of it being a very weird basho though he's got over 1000 people entering his contest these days, as opposed to this thread's ~30.

Lone Goat posted:

Do the grumpy old men do literally anything to make the sport better? I've only been paying attention to sumo for a year or two and it seems like they care more about tradition than the health and safety of the competitors, or the entertainment of the fans.

If you mean the various Oyakata, every single one of them is a former competitor and their main job is to train others in their stable, then on top of that they have various responsibilities that range from guarding the door (often done by just-retired competitors) through being on the Shimpan rotation (the ring side judges), all the way to being head of the NSK board, a position currently occupied by Hakkaku, otherwise known as 61st Yokozuna Hokutoumi.

If you mean the Yokozuna Deliberation Council, eh...that's debatable, but probably the answer is no.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If there were a consensus that the system was overly complex and that people didn't enjoy it I'd be fine with trimming the fat, but the main thing people have suggested over the years was making it more complex, either by adding a juryo slot or adding some scoring opportunities related to rare kimarite. Again, it's actually a really simple ruleset as fantasy sports go, and a lot of people in the thread seem to enjoy it and I enjoy running it. It just might not be to your taste.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I enjoy it as it is, and I appreciate you running it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i have no problem with the rules Kenning runs.

i encourage loan goat to run a parallel sumo fantasy league, and we can see for ourselves whether it's any better.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The current rules are fun and understandable! Though I haven't played in a hot minute...

I have been keeping up with sumo still though!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have not for one second looked at the rules. I pick wrestlers I like, AOIYAMA goes 5-10, I end up in the middle of the pack. Rinse and repeat.
I appreciate the work Kenning puts in and have no idea if/how the system should be changed.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I also like the rules as they are and appreciate Kenning running it. Heck, additional complications like a Juryo pick would be fun. Or call the right macaron color and get 0.01 points!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone have a record of all the colors the macaroon has been? Could be fun to legit add that as a tiebreaker/bonus points/bragging rights thing. Off hand I remember pink, green, blue, and gold. Maybe orange and purple? I bet there's a list somewhere, sumo fans are nuts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The macaroon is always the same colour in the end.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

contest is good and makes sense well enough from the users' perspective if kenning doesn't mind running it

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I was recently introduced to sumo and I watched the Grand Sumo Highlights every day for two weeks. And I normally don't like watching sports. I was glued to watching these guys. Then I went back and watched other sumo tournaments from years gone by. I binged it like a wrestler binges on chankonabe.

I don't know why I like fat men pushing each other around, but I do, and I'm here to read and post about it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ice Phisherman posted:

I was recently introduced to sumo and I watched the Grand Sumo Highlights every day for two weeks. And I normally don't like watching sports. I was glued to watching these guys. Then I went back and watched other sumo tournaments from years gone by. I binged it like a wrestler binges on chankonabe.

I don't know why I like fat men pushing each other around, but I do, and I'm here to read and post about it.

To me sumo kind of takes me back to wrestling in high school. Mostly the one on one element and physicality. There's also the whole tradition behind being an ancient sport and that's very compelling to me.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Vargatron posted:

To me sumo kind of takes me back to wrestling in high school. Mostly the one on one element and physicality. There's also the whole tradition behind being an ancient sport and that's very compelling to me.

Same, save for the high school wrestling. I enjoy the one on one physicality and as a history nerd, the history of sports is huge for me.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
As a new sumo fan that is big into other sports it was definitely the traditional aspects that hooked me along with the actual sumo wrestling.

Yeah, part of me feels like someone could come in and min/max the sport with a sumo Ivan Drago, but would their hair be as good as the other rikishi? Who's making their sagari? Their chankonabe would probably suck balls and I bet they wouldn't even know how to do that little hand thing before receiving their prize.

The traditional aspects are weird but it's fun as hell learning about it all, the sumopedia bits at the end of the NHK highlights have been great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

As a new sumo fan that is big into other sports it was definitely the traditional aspects that hooked me along with the actual sumo wrestling.

Yeah, part of me feels like someone could come in and min/max the sport with a sumo Ivan Drago, but would their hair be as good as the other rikishi? Who's making their sagari? Their chankonabe would probably suck balls and I bet they wouldn't even know how to do that little hand thing before receiving their prize.

The traditional aspects are weird but it's fun as hell learning about it all, the sumopedia bits at the end of the NHK highlights have been great.

A lot of that sort of traditional stuff was a hook for me too, but at the same time, there's certain aspects of sumo that it just feels insane that they don't change for the sake of safety. Like the dohyo being raised two feet off the ground, or the near-complete lack of modern sports medicine used in treating injuries, or the shockingly bad concussion protocols.

I guess one could say that a sport where competitors are encouraged to balloon up to 400 lbs can never really be safe or healthy but the other stuff I mentioned, it feels like you could change that and still keep the spirit and substance of sumo alive.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The former united states president introduced me to sumo, I watched the tournament before his arrival and then I watched him give out the trophy and read the certificate. I've been watching ever since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF34OK3hSD8

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was at that tournament and was so annoyed that they shut down all the coin lockers in central Tokyo for "safety", forcing me to carry my poo poo around everywhere. That's my story :)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For me it was the simplicity of the matches. I got started reading some article a few years ago talking about how Hakuho was possibly the most dominant athlete ever in their sport so I decided to check him out. The only things I knew were 1. Don’t leave the ring and 2. Don’t fall down. Even with that, it was enough to enjoy the matches without needing to know any fancy strategy, rules or needing anyone to explain what was happening.

Then from there you get all the cool and weird out of ring stuff, but I don’t think I would have stuck around long enough to care if I watched those first couple matches and couldn’t understand what was happening.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, that's a big one. I also think the fact that there are 20 matches a day for 15 days, and they're all so short, means that you can start to get a feel for the different forces and dynamics of sumo fairly quickly, which draws you in more.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah to be clear when I mentioned tradition I wasn't complaining about salt throwing wearing the sagari, but this stuff:

Pakled posted:

A lot of that sort of traditional stuff was a hook for me too, but at the same time, there's certain aspects of sumo that it just feels insane that they don't change for the sake of safety. Like the dohyo being raised two feet off the ground, or the near-complete lack of modern sports medicine used in treating injuries, or the shockingly bad concussion protocols.

I guess one could say that a sport where competitors are encouraged to balloon up to 400 lbs can never really be safe or healthy but the other stuff I mentioned, it feels like you could change that and still keep the spirit and substance of sumo alive.

Or the guy that was forced two retire because he didn't want to risk catching covid. From the outside it seems like you have to commit your life sumo and any misstep means you're blackballed forever, and it's not like sumo skills really translate to any other career?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure I started watching because for a while I tried to absorb as much native language content on NHK as I could find, and happened to come across a sumo highlight in Japanese. Probably just decided it looked interesting enough to actually follow up on. I hate chalking it up to a "I just happened to catch it" fluke but here I am, three or four years later still waiting for my boy Takayasu to win a basho so..

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Six rikishi positive for COVID-19. They're belowI hate the sekitori ranks, so their names and heya haven't been released.

I hate this all so much.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1363060691163353089

Cool picture, shame about the resolution but I'll take what I can get.

Edit: Oh wait here's the original, unannotated but huge resolution fitting of these huge men.

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1363000162629554177

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 20, 2021

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Brut posted:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1363060691163353089

Cool picture, shame about the resolution but I'll take what I can get.

Edit: Oh wait here's the original, unannotated but huge resolution fitting of these huge men.

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1363000162629554177

Yuki busting out the bodybuilding pose is incredible :laffo:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That dispels the myth of Asanoyama only training with his own stablemates, that kept popping up on youtube comments whenever he would lose a bout

Also looking forward to Kakuryu not showing up at the next basho

again

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I was rooting through some old forgotten drawers in an end table in the spare room and I found a deck of sumo playing cards from the 80s (possibly 90-91 I suppose). I'm not sure if these cards represent a specific basho or just popular wrestlers over a span of time or what. I found a few similar ones on ebay but not much info. They must have belonged to my grandparents, but I can't remember who specifically - they all would have loved these.

Might be some good av material in there.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That rules

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i guess aces must be lower cards instead of high (or at least lower than king) in whatever was the most popular game using western cards in the late showa era as the kings seem to be yokuzuna or ozeki while the aces all seemed to have peaked at sekiwake. fujizakura retired in 1985 so those cards are probably no later than that?

also interesting to see that there was a showa sadanoumi, and he wasn't even in the same heya as the current one (80's one was dewanoumi, current one is sakaigawa.)

def no later than 1986 as the 9 of diamonds is koji kitao before he became the disgraced yokuzuna futahaguro and later a pro wrestler. he changed his shikona away from his birth name in between the july and september basho in 1986

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 21, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

i guess aces must be lower cards instead of high (or at least lower than king) in whatever was the most popular game using western cards in the late showa era as the kings seem to be yokuzuna or ozeki while the aces all seemed to have peaked at sekiwake. fujizakura retired in 1985 so those cards are probably no later than that?

also interesting to see that there was a showa sadanoumi, and he wasn't even in the same heya as the current one (80's one was dewanoumi, current one is sakaigawa.)

def no later than 1986 as the 9 of diamonds is koji kitao before he became the disgraced yokuzuna futahaguro and later a pro wrestler. he changed his shikona away from his birth name in between the july and september basho in 1986

The current Sakaigawa-beya was created when former Ryogoku (Komusubi) and former Sadanoyama (50th Yokozuna) split off from Dewanoumi in the late 90s, so that makes sense. The Sadanoumi you are seeing is current Sadanoumi's father.

Also those cards are rad, any chance you can get high res scans of them at some point? Also, what's on the back?

I love that there was someone using the shikona "Hoo".

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 22, 2021

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I was thinking the same thing with the aces/kings. I looked up Oshio, the ace of diamonds, and while he did have what I'd consider to be a quite successful career, the early 80s were the end of his time in makuuchi and that's lining up pretty well with some of the other historical tidbits. The Futahaguro note is a really good one. I also noticed that Kitanoumi retired in 1985.

Sadanoumi - I thought that that looked suspiciously like him. That's pretty cool that it's his dad.

The last picture I posted has the 2 jokers and the back of the card. I'm pretty sure that it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry%C5%8Dgoku_Kokugikan on the back - which I hadn't looked up until now, and it turns out that that was built in 1985. I'm noticing a pattern here.

I don't have a scanner but I would like to get some higher res images of those so when I eventually do visit a home with one I'll try to get some proper scans.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Looks like a company called Yamani Enterprises made a few different sets of the cards in the mid 80s to mid 90s:

The company is long gone and it's hard to get any more info because the Japanese word for a set of playing cards is 'Trump', so trying to look up 'sumo trump' just returns a million hits of the big wet president's visit to the Kokugikan, lol.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Cool! I have a black and clear plastic box like that too, but no green box. The back of plastic box is branded Alaska Playing Card Co., Ltd.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah i was googling ”ヤマニ 相撲” as i could tell from the one card they wrote the company's name in katakana and couldn't find anything either. the kanji at the bottom of the green box predictably read "koukugikan" if anyone is curious and didn't know

edit: did find this tho
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMANI-Mus...497.m4902.l9144

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 22, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Banzuke is up. http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

I guess enho is dead in the water then? Not even made it back up
Edit : oh he sat out January because of injury.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

banzuke's out!

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

most interesting part is daieisho only getting a komusubi slot after a 13-2 performance from m1

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

beaten on the bansuke but he's miyagino-beya just like hakuho and the entire stable missed it due to covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

His heya had a covid scare, so Hakuho, Ishiura, and Enho did not participate.