Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
My Japanese neighbour gets NHK via the giant dish in her backyard, which I thought was NHK world. Either way, it has the regular programming, so the 2 hours of makuuchi each day. From memory, its about 30AUD per month. But I'm sure that signing up would require some fiddling in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

My Japanese neighbour gets NHK via the giant dish in her backyard, which I thought was NHK world. Either way, it has the regular programming, so the 2 hours of makuuchi each day. From memory, its about 30AUD per month. But I'm sure that signing up would require some fiddling in Japanese.

I know that the channel I get through Comcast is branded as NHK World and does not show weekday Sumo.

It's possible the thing you get through the satellite broadcast is also branded as NHK World, I'm not sure.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

It's also possible that it's Japanese NHK world, which might be a different thing. Satellite tv is rare in Australia unless you're trying to get Asian channels.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Related, I’ve been looking at iSakura IPTV as I’m trying to subscribe to all-japanese-all-the-time immersion to help with my language study. If I can get Sumo then I’m probably going to do that. $160USD/yr for a subscription and then I can cast from my tablet to AppleTV.

Strongly leaning to this anyway, maybe I’ll guineapig it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brut posted:

Confusing people about NSK/NHK aside, yeah it would be nice if the proper NHKG channel was available globally, instead of their NHK-World channel which shows Sumo only on Sundays and only for like an hour.

At least you can pay for a VPN and use Abema, even with a free vpn it's watchable.

Yeah I was trying to make a joke, but it's true that sumo is sort of weird in the way it's broadcast by the state television network in part for nationalistic reasons, rather than simply being a sporting program that could theoretically sell broadcast rights freely. It still feels quite frustrating that I would very much like to support sumo somehow but I have as yet no meaningful way to do so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I thought I remembered NHK World showing daily recaps at like.. 5pm EST. But I use their streaming app.
I have NHK World International or whatever it is in my cable package and during the basho they were broadcasting an edited down recap in prime time. To be fair though, I’m in Australia which only has a couple of hours difference time-zone wise, which probably makes a difference.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Was checking out sumoforums to see if they had any alternates to natto other than hoping for Kinta to come back and apparently Natto was dumb enough to try and monetize so while it sucks for us, he kinda had it coming if true.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Was checking out sumoforums to see if they had any alternates to natto other than hoping for Kinta to come back and apparently Natto was dumb enough to try and monetize so while it sucks for us, he kinda had it coming if true.

wow this video is like 5x more embarassing with that context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC85Mi7uJ6U

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
If he's going, I'll definitely miss the convenience of NattoSumo's format. On the other hand, I have to turn in a 15-page paper on sumo tomorrow, and having the NHK copyright strike a channel with 36,000 subscribers reads as a more significant event than when Robert Mensing's channel received a strike, so I appreciate their timing.

I hope this leads to Kintamayama coming back. His videos, rinky dink though some of them were, taught me most of what I know about sumo (like Ikioi being the best singer, Shodai being the next ozeki and then definitely not the next ozeki, and what a HNH is).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is just semi-related to the thread but if you're looking for something sumo-related to tide you over until the next basho, I just finished a manga called Hinomaru Zumou and it's actually pretty good at portraying sumo stuff. It's basically Enho: The Manga, and it starts very shonen-ish but it does go into actual techniques/styles, stable life and how someone would go from amateur sumo to the pro leagues. The art is pretty good and it's got Minimal Weird Anime Bullshit too. It's still pretty shonen-ish but it taught me some new stuff about the sport.

Also there's a silly Hakuho expy in the latter arcs. Unfortunately he and the main character aren't in a bromance.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

the romance that DOES develop tho, owns

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I secretly suspect Hakuho is trying to make the manga real with all the small dudes he recruits.

Also, whenever Oguruma-oyakata is on TV, I want to shout ONI-GURUMA!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dias posted:

This is just semi-related to the thread but if you're looking for something sumo-related to tide you over until the next basho, I just finished a manga called Hinomaru Zumou and it's actually pretty good at portraying sumo stuff. It's basically Enho: The Manga, and it starts very shonen-ish but it does go into actual techniques/styles, stable life and how someone would go from amateur sumo to the pro leagues. The art is pretty good and it's got Minimal Weird Anime Bullshit too. It's still pretty shonen-ish but it taught me some new stuff about the sport.

Also there's a silly Hakuho expy in the latter arcs. Unfortunately he and the main character aren't in a bromance.

where would someone read something like this for free and in english?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marching Powder posted:

where would someone read something like this for free and in english?

I think it's a Viz title in America so I can't link it here because :filez:. The first five chapters are up on https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100031 tho and some creative Googling can get you the rest of the way if necessary.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dias posted:

I think it's a Viz title in America so I can't link it here because :filez:. The first five chapters are up on https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100031 tho and some creative Googling can get you the rest of the way if necessary.

obrigado senor

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

If you wanted to watch the anime, it's up on Crunchyroll.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Bentai posted:

If you wanted to watch the anime, it's up on Crunchyroll.

Funimation has it too

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm seeing reports that Wakaichiro has retired.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Came from a comment off this Instagram post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8k7yHqhpaG/

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

Came from a comment off this Instagram post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8k7yHqhpaG/

I'm guessing Konishiki is in close enough contact with Musashigawa to know about these kinds of things, drat.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Too bad if true, was looking forward to seeing Wakaichiro work his way up the ranks. Still, can't blame him. He gave it a solid go, and he's young enough to start a new career without too many difficulties.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/IchiroYoung_/status/1229309890071494656

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just logged onto Twitter for the first time in ages and saw that. It's too bad, he was likely up for a new high ranking in Sandanme for March

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

What are the odds that sumo will be cancelled this time?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

What are the odds that sumo will be cancelled this time?

huh? why?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Coronavirus. Stardom canceled all events on their schedule except for the Korakuen Hall show that will be an empty arena show with no fans.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Tokyo marathon got downsized because of the flu. It wouldn't be good if there was a breakout before the Olympics so maybe?? idk

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Coronavirus. Stardom canceled all events on their schedule except for the Korakuen Hall show that will be an empty arena show with no fans.

drat. ah well, gotta keep everyone safe and healthy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq8HTHreeFc&hd=1

I ship Enhakuho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/index.php/index.php/

Banzuke is up.

An M18 rank exists essentially for the first time in modern sumo (sort of).

As expected, Shodai skipped the pack and was promoted straight to Sekiwake.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

M4 Enho does my heart glad :3:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

An M18 rank exists essentially for the first time in modern sumo (sort of)

Why is this? Because of only one ozeki and only two yokozuna?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Also I'm so stoked for Shodai and Rocket Egg. I call Tokushoryu rocket egg because when he crouches before the tachiai he reminds me of a sonic villain robot so if anyone sees me referring to a rocket eggs that's what I'm talking about.

I don't know why I love this sport so much but God drat. Even more surprising is my missus started following it. I called her in to watch Enho and she ended up harassing me in the hours leading up to the start time each day to call her in when it starts. She loves Enho, Rocket Egg, and Chiyomaru.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

so Natto's just gonna make another channel and hope not to get caught huh

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Yup, the less people in named ranks the more numbers there will be, since the total number of fighters (and the physical size of the Banzuke) is always the same.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Marching Powder posted:

Yes, the top division is fixed at 42 wrestlers, so Maegashira ranks are created and removed as needed to get to that number.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

riderchop posted:

so Natto's just gonna make another channel and hope not to get caught huh

As long as he doesn't monetize it, he should be good. We'll see.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Yup, the less people in named ranks the more numbers there will be, since the total number of fighters (and the physical size of the Banzuke) is always the same.

Boomshakalaka.

Makes sense though.

Is it always the lowest ranked yoko that becomes the yokozuna ozeki? Does beating a yokozuna while he's a YO still give you a gold star (if you're maegashira of course)?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Diplomat posted:

As long as he doesn't monetize it, he should be good. We'll see.

I wonder if a patreon type relationship would still sour NHK on having Natto do recaps. I'd probably kick in a few bucks a month to have awesome, well produced Sumo in my feed every morning for two weeks.

I'd give the money to NHK first if they only provided the same, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I will say that I'm very thankful for the forum relocation of this thread.

This has been the most active the thread has been during any sumo 'off-season'.