Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kenning posted:

I wonder what the body fat % is for the average sumo wrestler anyway. Obviously some guys like Chiyomaru and Aoiyama have lots, but someone like Hakuho doesn't really have much fat relative to his total mass. He's got like an inch of fat on his body, but underneath that is boulders of muscle. Same with dudes like Takarafuji and Okinoumi. They've got more fat than the really lean, quick fighters, but their total percentage probably isn't as high as we'd think.

Someone here once posted a quote from an ex-wrestler talking about that. I don’t remember the exact number but I think it was around high end of reasonable dad bod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kenning posted:

I wonder what the body fat % is for the average sumo wrestler anyway. Obviously some guys like Chiyomaru and Aoiyama have lots, but someone like Hakuho doesn't really have much fat relative to his total mass. He's got like an inch of fat on his body, but underneath that is boulders of muscle. Same with dudes like Takarafuji and Okinoumi. They've got more fat than the really lean, quick fiqghters, but their total percentage probably isn't as high as we'd think.

Myogiryu allegedly has 22%, which I've heard announcers mention and Wikipedia sez has been referenced in ads. Hak and a couple smaller guys would be about there too.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I know they're there, but neither are as likely as their senior, retired colleague. Aminishiki is also Ajigawa oyakata which is what Isegahama was before he was Isegahama.

Yeah, Aminishiki is probably the favourite. Just wanted to mention the others since who knows how sumo politics works and there's always guys who don't want the hassle of being the top guy for whatever reason.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

who knows how sumo politics works

Come on, it's pretty simple as you can see

*Pulls down insanely detailed organisational chart that would give conspiracy theorists sweating nightmares

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

i want to get on the dank that lead to history where a Nick Diaz v Conor fight happened and that it involved Nick Diaz having takedown defence

Meant Nate but still. Point stands that Skip Bayless is a gigantic dumbo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Elissimpark posted:

Come on, it's pretty simple as you can see

*Pulls down insanely detailed organisational chart that would give conspiracy theorists sweating nightmares

When you first start watching sumo, it's about the spectacle of fat men smashing into each other. As you get familiar with the sport, you enjoy the technical aspects of balance, grip, and footwork. However the true, lifer sumo fan is in it for the elaborate politics of old men squabbling while fat men smash into each other.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 11, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The grip/wreslting is pretty normal Greco Roman with the exception you have a diaper to hold onto.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yes but the physics of the diaper are very sophisticated. Some rikishi have tight diapers, while other have loose, floppy diapers.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mekchu posted:

The grip/wreslting is pretty normal Greco Roman with the exception you have a diaper to hold onto.

Greco-roman nothing, it's belt-style folk wrestling.

Look up Folk wrestling in Wikipedia, fire up YouTube and enjoy the wide world of people hugging vigorously with belts, jackets, collars and oiled jackets.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Kenning posted:

When you first start watching sumo, it's about the spectacle of fat men smash into each other. As you get familiar with the sport, you enjoy the technical aspects of balance, grip, and footwork. However the true, lifer sumo fan is in it for the elaborate politics of old men squabbling while fat men smash into each other.

:haibrow:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What would have been the first basho to have taken place after everyones birth? Mine would have been July 1979

Wajima won with a 14-1 record after a play off with Mienoumi who was promoted to yokozuna after the basho. Also a little known rikishi Chiyonofuji made a winning return to Makuuchi with a 8-7 record, wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

bessantj posted:

What would have been the first basho to have taken place after everyones birth? Mine would have been July 1979

Wajima won with a 14-1 record after a play off with Mienoumi who was promoted to yokozuna after the basho. Also a little known rikishi Chiyonofuji made a winning return to Makuuchi with a 8-7 record, wonder whatever happened to that guy.

at least around my birth, sumo came to new york in 1985 where apparently chiyonofuji was there (maybe). i am finding it very hard to find any information about it and i'm not going to try any harder. interesting to know though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

at least around my birth, sumo came to new york in 1985 where apparently chiyonofuji was there (maybe). i am finding it very hard to find any information about it and i'm not going to try any harder. interesting to know though.

If it was an official basho it'll be listed here. But I know sumo did a few tours in those days.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bessantj posted:

If it was an official basho it'll be listed here. But I know sumo did a few tours in those days.

Nah, it was a 3 day Jungyo at MSG, here's an NYT article about it.

If you sort this YouTube channel's videos by oldest uploaded, you'll find a few videos of Sumo's 1995 visit to Paris, followed by a bunch of videos from the 1985 visit to NYC.

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 11, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bessantj posted:

What would have been the first basho to have taken place after everyones birth?

September 1984, the last basho at Kuramae Kokugikan. Only yusho by Tagaryū who was on the verge of getting demoted, & the first Makuuchi tournament win by a Maegashira in 8 years.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I especially like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fix0f489oss

That dude is basically 1985 Tochinoshin, heh.

Though...I can't tell what the hell is going on in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjsufkj74U

I believe this is the final match, indeed involving Chiyonofuji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVkMr7hdW5o

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 11, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

I especially like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fix0f489oss

That dude is basically 1985 Tochinoshin, heh.

INSIDERU LEFTERU

Brut posted:

Nah, it was a 3 day Jungyo at MSG, here's an NYT article about it.

yeah that's probably what i found

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Speakig of sumo tours. Chris Sumo has a good vid about a tour that made him fall in love with sumo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw4roJI_BrQ

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

somebody will know what i'm talking about just based on the description but there's this white guy who obviously lifts weights pretty seriously and is obviously stronger than 98% of the population straight out of bed in the morning and he goes to a sumo heya to train and tries to do the basic 'push resisting sumo man across the clay. his ineffectiveness is embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PmtNp2idw

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol thanks. for anyone who hasn't seen it if you want to gauge at about how well you'd do making a sumo go where he didn't want to go / was indifferent about if he wanted to go you can skip to the 8 minute mark

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

lol thanks. for anyone who hasn't seen it if you want to gauge at about how well you'd do making a sumo go where he didn't want to go / was indifferent about if he wanted to go you can skip to the 8 minute mark

Oh I thought you were describing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQpgXjh18vg

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Oh I thought you were describing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQpgXjh18vg

lol, also good, maybe better because the sumos are loving with him. 2.50. reminds me of my first bjj class when a 16 year old kid literally half my weight made me feel as weak and helpless as, well, this.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

So I was lurking in sumoforum and apparently the NSK are bigger sadists than we thought and Abi is a much huger idiot/rear end in a top hat.

Apparently he had newborn daughter in July or earlier in August (can’t find English references and google translate isn’t helping) so he was doing all his stupid poo poo while his wife was either super pregnant and/or had just given birth.

And part of his punishment is that he had to move back to the stable for 3 months of house arrest so he’s away from his wife and kid.

They are allowing him to visit his family so they aren’t completely heartless, but there’s a pretty good chance he does something dumb like stop for a beer on the way back to the stable, right?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

So I was lurking in sumoforum and apparently the NSK are bigger sadists than we thought and Abi is a much huger idiot/rear end in a top hat.

Apparently he had newborn daughter in July or earlier in August (can’t find English references and google translate isn’t helping) so he was doing all his stupid poo poo while his wife was either super pregnant and/or had just given birth.
I can't find any reference to his new bride being pregnant/having given birth on Japanese Google. Not to say it's not true, but that kind of juicy intel would be talked about for sure.

e: Though I did just learn that his shikona Abi is from "a baby," which was his oyakata's childhood nickname. And presciently appropriate for the grown Abi.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 13, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I can't find any reference to his new bride being pregnant/having given birth on Japanese Google. Not to say it's not true, but that kind of juicy intel would be talked about for sure.

e: Though I did just learn that his shikona Abi is from "a baby," which was his oyakata's childhood nickname. And presciently appropriate for the grown Abi.

Yeah, I tried tracking it as far as I could in English as you’re right. It does sound like something that should have come up already. So I found his wiki says he has a kid and the source was a Japanese article from last week.

quote:

Abi was married in June 2020 after a three year relationship.[15] They have one daughter.[16]

16 - https://hochi.news/articles/20200806-OHT1T50354.html
Google translate attempt.

quote:

Married an ordinary woman at the end of June. By this month, the eldest daughter, who will be the first child, was born, but will be leaving home.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, I tried tracking it as far as I could in English as you’re right. It does sound like something that should have come up already. So I found his wiki says he has a kid and the source was a Japanese article from last week.
Nice find! It certainly looks legit. Interesting that it's only mentioned in passing like that and not anything more sensational. drat, and I thought it already sucked enough that he had to move away from his newlywed wife--but his newborn, too? I hope she has support (she probably does).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm sure this isn't new to many here, but this is a pretty cool little video on how the Dohyo is prepared, and so on. The rituals, etc, etc... it pretty much goes into an intro of all sumo stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSEW1NFRwo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1293959621024067584

There's so much :wtf: in this story.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This is madness.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is anyone checking eBay?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This gives me a new idea for when my cat passes away to give me an edge in jiu jitsu tournaments.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mekchu posted:

This gives me a new idea for when my cat passes away to give me an edge in jiu jitsu tournaments.

Just be careful who you tell or someone might steal your gear to harness your pet ash mojo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Check out this other Twitter thread from the same poster, it seems someone's trying to sell it:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1294129605486444544

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Check out this other Twitter thread from the same poster, it seems someone's trying to sell it:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1294129605486444544

I could have gone without learning this

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1294240825593954336

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, learning that mawashi are never washed (only dried) was a big moment in me becoming a sumo fan. It makes all those keiko sessions look a lot more intense.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
so which rikishi has the ripest mawashi?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There is no happiness in the pursuit of the answer to that question.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's gross

They should clean those mawashis

Anyone who's ever done any amount of time using pads in training knows how lethal they can get if not cleaned regularly, you can get a staph infection from them.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

That fuckin owns. I love that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's gross

They should clean those mawashis

Anyone who's ever done any amount of time using pads in training knows how lethal they can get if not cleaned regularly, you can get a staph infection from them.

this actually raises the serious question of why staph isn't absolutely rampant then? how are they being disinfected if not washed?