Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Going with all the guys I found myself cheering for out of the blue, in the last (my first) basho!

Y/O: Hakuho/Takakeisho/Kakuryu
S/K: Endo/Asanoyama/Hokutofuji
M1-5: Tokushoryu/Enho/Yutakayama
M6-10: Tochinoshin/Takarafuji/Tochiozan
M11+: Terutsuyoshi/Chiyomaru/Ishiura

Also just wanna thank everyone in this thread for introducing me to sumo. Following along last basho was fun as hell and all the drama is insanely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Caught up on the last two days with Natto's recaps. Disappointing day 1 for my fantasy stable but it's still early days!

Day 2, I laughed like a goddamn idiot at Natto adding crowd noises for Terutsuyoshi's salt throw. Enho looked amazing circling around Ryuden like that and the finishing trip/throw was rad. Tochinoshin looked happier just to not be injured than anything else, at the end of today's bout.

Marching Powder posted:

shodai is fighting like a man who really, really wants to win, and he is 100% the dude to watch imo.[/spoiler]

yeah, definitely.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Bentai posted:

Finally watched the day 3 matches tonight, and goddamn that low angle camera really shows Tochi’s lower right leg is just wrecked. The thing was practically fire engine red. :(

Yeah. That looks profoundly uncomfortable.

Hakuho's match on day 3 felt like watching a clinic on timing and positioning. It looked like he knew exactly when to start and stop pushing and pulling so that he didn't expend energy pointlessly or put himself in a vulnerable position.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

bad night for injuries :-(

kakuryu / takayasu was a marvelous fight. i am devastated that such a good fight ended in such tragedy. chiyotairyu and takayasu are almost certainly both out now. hope that's the end of such things for this basho.

yeah, that was super gnarly

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

The way Tochinoshin's leg was wobbling after his bout today looked really scary.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Natto killing it with the edits.

Tochinoshin going barreling off of the dohyo makes me wonder what would happen if he'd actually managed to connect there.... Teretsuyoshi's bout was a real bummer with that salt sponsorship and all :(

Kenning: For my M6-M10 could I please trade Tochinoshin for Takanosho? Sorry, big man, but I really think you gotta give that leg a rest.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

i will never be yokogoona because i refuse to make concessions. i picked tochiozan, i'll stay with the worst rikishi on planet earth - my god what an insufferably useless prick.

As punishment for my disloyalty, Tochinoshin is totally going to come back and bulldoze all of his opponents for the remainder of the basho.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

nah i'm not with that. it's true that m2 is a bit high, but he is easily m8-10 material. despite the losses he's actually been wrestling well imo. he gave hakuho a legit run for his money and beat kakuryu outright. when he's on, he's up there with the best. when he's not on, i'd say he's middle of the pack in the top division material

I don't think it helps that he got off to a bad start and is probably getting desperate now. Today's match with Takakeisho seemed really out of character for him because he just kept pressing forward even when it seemed pretty clear that Takakeisho wanted to step out to one side or the other.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

Hakuho was so drat good that even old busted Hakuho is still better than everybody.

Added bonus is I'm able to keep up a bit more with his footwork and positioning during bouts and can appreciate them a lot more. Watching some of the clips where he's at his peak it feels like the tachi-ai happens and then Hakuho is the winner and my brain is struggling to comprehend what the hell happened.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

When Enho got caught mid-air during his henka I thought for sure he was just gonna get spiked into the ground. Awesome bout!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Watch his hips too. He's a master at breaking his opponent's balance by dropping his centre of gravity. There's a a hip wiggle he did more frequently when he was less banged up that indicated someone was about to get blasted into space.

This was timely advice, thank you! With today's bout against Ryuden I could actually see him get his feet and hips around into position to just pivot and push Ryuden out of the circle. Feels really cool to be able to start spotting these sorts of things.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

can't stop thinking about mitakeumi and how good he looked today and every other day that he wasn't fighting a yokozuna. they really are incredible.

Last couple of days have really stood out to me for how even if Kakuryu isn't as technically amazing as Hakuho his ability to just be constantly applying pressure is really incredible. Even today's bout when Abi managed to get him off balance, it seemed like it took him way less time to recover than basically any other rikishi and just start applying loads of pressure again.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn, Hakuho launched Hokutofuji right the hell out of there.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Thought for sure that Tochinoshin was going to roll right over the gyoji sitting by the dohyo. The way he's moving on that leg makes me wince.

So, was Terutsuyoshi's move at the tachi-ai a henka or not? He was clearly trying to avoid taking the brunt of Meisei's attack but seemed more like he was trying to quickly get control from the side. The commentators didn't yell out 'henka!' like they normally do. Slick move, though!

ilmucche posted:

Aoiyama
What a great fight, good aggression and it looked like mitakeumi didn't get set, though his move to get off the edge of the dohyo was slick

Feels like Aoiyama's just turning up the intensity every day, it's awesome to watch.

ilmucche posted:

Shodai-Hakuho
Holy poo poo! The slap at the tachi ai looked nasty and hakuho looked [i]pissed[/] walking away from the dohyo. I thought shodai was going down when he started to lurch forward

Deadset. Shodai's lights were definitely out for a second there and I'm amazed he was able to recover the way that he did.

Kakuryu's win looked cool as hell. Awesome awareness of his position and just an elegant-as-hell takedown.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

What a weird and exciting basho! That match between Hakuho and Kakuryu was insane and even though I had Hakuho on my fantasy team, I was really pulling for Kakuryu after his performance during the tournament.

Thanks very much for running the fantasy tournament, Kenning. All those other goons who said you get a lot more out of the tournament when you've got a fantasy team were right. Really looking forward to the May basho!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

How would Kakuryu be regarded without Hakuho around? From some of the discussion it sounds kind of like he'd be a contender for being one of the best ever if he didn't have to share the spotlight with the actual greatest of all time.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

Marching Powder posted:

in fact, actually becoming a yokozuna while hakuho is active is an impressive feat.

This is a really good point that I hadn't even considered. Are yokozuna runs similar to ozeki where they need to get a minimum number of wins over a certain number of basho? I remember reading either here or in one of the articles that was linked that it's something like two yuhso in a row which seems like an insane feat when you've got to get through Hakuho to do it.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Oh heck yeah, looking forward to this basho!

Y/O: Kakuryu/Hakuho/Takakeisho
S/K: Daiesho/Mitakeumi/Shodai
M1-5: Takanosho/Kirabayama/Endo
M6-10: Terutsuyoshi/Ishiura/Chiyotairyu
M11+: Tochinoshin/Chiyomaru/Wakatakakage

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2020

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

There's been some drat good matches, so far. It looks like the extra rest has done a lot of people good!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

When I saw the note about Abi getting pulled for going out and partying on Natto's video I had to pause it because I was laughing so hard. Just an incredible way to withdraw

Hakuho just launching Kiribayama off of the dohyo was something else. Seemed especially brutal to me.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Kid's first fight against a Yokozuna. Gotta set expectations.

good point, well made :D

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

drat, I thought Kotonowaka's fall yesterday looked nasty and apparently it was. That really sucks 'cause I thought he was having a really promising basho.

Asanoyama going 8-0 is awesome. He's looking so goddamn strong

Hakuho looked speedy tonight, like he'd intercepted everyone of Kagayaki's moves when they were still just thoughts.

kenning, can I please trade Kotonowaka for Kotoshogiku

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ishiura catching that trip was sick.

Seriously. It looked awesome in the slow-mo, too

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Lid posted:

and Enho gets robbed. at worst its a rematch.

Yeah, I'm still perplexed by that myself. I only watch the Natto videos and he didn't translate any of what was said in the explanation so it seemed a bit rough. Also, I don't think Hakuho even needed to mow down that gyoji, looked more like he did it for fun.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 27, 2020

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Yeah he looked like he took a hard tumble in that match the other day.

I was worried at first and thought he looked better as he was walking backstage. Guess it blew up on him overnight :(

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

drat, there were a bunch of really great matches today. Kaisei vs Nishikigi was kind of a standout to me with how many close shaves there were. Also Aoiyama rolling off of the dohyo and onto his feet was pretty drat impressive! So, with Terunofuji beating Asanoyama, is he pretty much all but guaranteed the yusho now?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

This tournament has been so goddamn good

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Absolutely incredible basho to watch. Really glad I got to watch it while it happened! Has there ever been any photos of the humongous macaron getting eaten? I like to imagine they slice it up like a cake, to share with their stablemates

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Kenning posted:

Chiyomaru is famously a good-natured joker. One of his classic pranks on the regional tours was finding a wrestler who was taking a nap, and then shaking him awake, and saying, "You look really tired, you should get some rest."

That's the best

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

SamBishop posted:

You NEED to understand that there are now videos of this. It is important. I will not spoil the surprise upon finding them, but they are out there. I farted in front of friends loudly because I could not stop laughing; the responses are magical.

I've been going back through Oosunaarashi's twitter and some of these photos and videos are amazing.

https://twitter.com/Oosunaarashi/status/721503165066010624?s=20

Haven't found one of the ones of Chiyomaru waking guys up, yet

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I'm kind of bummed about the idea of Kakuryu retiring but sometimes it's just time to call it quits.

Fantasy picks:
Y/O: Asanoyama
S/K: Endo / Shodai / Daieisho
M1-5: Terutsuyoshi / Tamawashi / Terunofuji
M6-10: Wakatakakage / Tokushoryu / Kotoeko
M11+: Kotoshoho / Ichinojo / Tobizaru

Excited for this basho!

Edit: updated to reflect both the change to Y/O and Ishiura withdrawing!

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 12, 2020

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Very excited for Hoshoryu's maegashira debut. Also for Terutsuyoshi at M3. I think it'll be pretty rough for him at that level, but we might get to see some awesome matches like his win over Asanoyama.

I really want Terutsuyoshi to do well but I'm very nervous about his prospects! Tochinoshin as well, really hope his knee's in decent condition

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Strong first day!

Lid posted:

Chiyomaru on screen right now, back in Juryo. I missed the thumb got demoted :( this is the worst basho ever.

Yeah, I missed him in Makuuchi, hope he makes it back soon!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

One of the great bits about the slow-mo replay of Tochinoshin vs. Terutsuyoshi was seeing Tochinoshin just casually slap Salt Bae across the face so hard he looked briefly like a bobble head.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

The head first dump off of the dohyo is the worst but a very close second is every time I watch a wrestler land on one foot and their upper body immediately starts twisting and I just imagine their knee or ankle exploding into confetti

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Not a great day for my fantasy stable :( On the plus side there were some really great bouts and Tochinoshin looked pretty good on that knee!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Beeswax posted:

Tokushoryu vs Aioyama was ridiculous

I was geared up for the mother of all impacts at the start. Actual outcome had me laughing pretty hard.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

The tachi ai for Meisei vs Kotoeko was awesome! Looked like they just launched into each other as hard as possible

loving lol, Terutsuyoshi's front foot slipping out on salt when he tried to brace up against Endo. The mot perfect way for him to lose.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 16, 2020

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

I know it'd probably be a smart move to trade out Endo or Terutsuyoshi but I still can't get rid of the feeling that they'll make a plucky comeback in the second half of the basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Dias posted:

Endo is my weakest link but I'm okay with my picks so far. I should've trusted in the boi Takakeisho tho. The sphere of unbridled aggression has a shot at the basho!

Takakeisho looks super dominant at the moment, it's great to watch