Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Shodai used to be pretty good at withstanding losing at the tachiai, getting pushed around, and then making a comeback even against very good competition. When he kinda stopped getting that second wind in the past year or so, I figured he had lost ambition and settled into the role of just doing his job adequately while trying hard to avoid injury. Really surprised to see him doing so well, even in this diminished field. He fought really well against Takakeisho and showed more personality with his in-ring bounce and post-match running fist pump than I've seen out of him in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Whether he's sleepwalking through a basho or easily beating everyone until his back begins bothers him, I appreciate having Ichinojo around. I wouldn't like it if everyone in started leaning on people forever like he's sometimes likely to do, but when it's a giant doing it, and it only happens occasionally + is actually a pretty viable strategy for him, I don't find it boring. I also found that one basho -- a year or so ago, maybe -- where he suddenly realized that his being a giant meant he could just pull down everyone and win immediately to be really funny, especially because he then just kinda abandoned that strategy.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
If he's going, I'll definitely miss the convenience of NattoSumo's format. On the other hand, I have to turn in a 15-page paper on sumo tomorrow, and having the NHK copyright strike a channel with 36,000 subscribers reads as a more significant event than when Robert Mensing's channel received a strike, so I appreciate their timing.

I hope this leads to Kintamayama coming back. His videos, rinky dink though some of them were, taught me most of what I know about sumo (like Ikioi being the best singer, Shodai being the next ozeki and then definitely not the next ozeki, and what a HNH is).

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, I don't see Tochinoshin ever regaining that incredible form he had when at his peak. He finished this basho with a good record, but he was so low on the banzuke that that's to be expected whenever he's not in his full-on literally-hobbling-on-no-knees mode. He's just too physically busted to do his thing consistently, which is a bummer, but it was nice seeing him do well for a change.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Edit: eek, too slow. Tl;Dr: the above explanations got it right!

The number is their ranked placement. For the top division wrestlers, being maegashira 1 means they're at the tippy top of the rankings, behind only the special ranks of komusubi, sekiwake, ozeki, and yokozuna. Maegashira 17 (or whatever is the lowest in any given tournament) means they're only one step above the second division, juryo, so they better not get a losing record or they'll end up back there in the following tournament.

There's two people at every rank (with the possible exception of the very bottom one, maybe? Not sure if there needs to be two wrestlets at the bottom rank to fulfill the banzuke requirements), with east being one spot higher than west. The special ranks follow this system, too -- if you see a yokozuna 1E and a yokozuna 1W, the east wrestler had a better showing in the previous tournament.

The 0-1 is the current score and the 4-3 is the record of their previous head to head bouts, yeah.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Brut posted:

Weeeeeeeelp

:( Tomokaze seemed to have a super promising career ahead; I hope it's not him. Selfishly, I'd like to continue watching him and Abi compete, but their stupidity literally put everyone in sumo at risk, so expulsion really wouldn't be too harsh a punishment IMO. Maybe Abi'll take the bullet for being a bad influence as a higher ranked wrestler or something.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Well deserved, but also a huge letdown. I found his style of oshi-sumo really fun to watch, whether he managed to make it work or he was made to crash and burn, and having a guy with that kind of personality around was an interesting contrast. But yeah, hard to expect them not to throw the book at him for putting all his co-workers at risk, especially after he should've had his eyes opened to the risks when Shobushi died.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Probably should've given him the boot, but if I get to watch him do his weird oshi thing again, I'm not about to complain about it. Kind of a weird punishment, though. Having a recent sanyaku-level wrestler artificially placed a couple of divisions lower seems like it might lead to a bad time for the people who are toiling away in makushita because they're up-and-coming, not skilled enough to make salaried rank, or wrestling through injuries.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I really thought Osunaarashi would be the closest thing to a sumo-to-MMA success story. He was still super young, found a trainer that appeared to be a reasonably good match for his type of build and skillset in Josh Barnett, and due to the circumstances of his departure from sumo, I figured he'd still have competitive fire and maybe a bit of a chip on his shoulder driving him. Him and Akebono being the only people to step into a ring and not magically leave with a W over Bob Sapp in the past decade is pretty sad.

Baruto actually performed way better than I would have expected, though. He wasn't a technically good or particularly dangerous fighter, but his run was pretty fun and he did what he needed to do to get some Ws.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O: Asanoyama, Kakuryu, Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi, Shodai, Daieisho
M1-5: Kiribayama, Hokutofuji, Myogiryu
M6-10: Onosho, Enho, Wakatakakage
M11+: Chiyotairyu, Meisei, Ichinojo

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

Day 3 standings:

code:

11	Skjorte

I'm happy with my picks, although I won't be surprised when Onosho, Chiyotairyu, and Mitakeumi completely stop earning points for me for many, many days in a row, as they are wont to do.

I really thought Asanoyama (who is not my favorite ozeki, but IM(so far incorrect)O the safer bet to consistently do well) was a free ticket to 10+ wins, so for him to be the one guy really letting my team down so far is a big surprise.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Am I out of luck now that my M1-5 pick Kiribayama is out of the basho? Bummer that he got injured so early into his top division career, but hopefully it's nothing too serious and he can bounce back (at a perhaps more level-appropriate rank) one or two bashos from now.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yokozuna/Ozeki: Takakeisho/Asanoyama/Shodai
Sekiwake/Komusubi: Mitakeumi/Takanosho/Terunofuji
M1-5: Daieisho/Tobizaru/Myogiryu
M6-10: Tamawashi/Endo/Tokoshoryu
M11+: Chiyonokuni/Chiyotairyu/Chiyoshoma

Beeswax posted:

My picks!
m11+: Asofuji / Hakuba / Enho

Can't imagine the two first ones are likely to bring you much luck in this basho.

edit: swapped kyujo Hakuho for Shodai on the 7th of November!

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 7, 2020

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I'd add Akiseyama to my line-up so I wouldn't have to root against him. A winning record would put him in the top division for just the second time in his nearly 13-year career, and I'm a sucker for comeback stories like that. We've been spoilt for those in 2020 already, but still!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He has to retire now. It's not as bad as Kisenosato's eight missed bashos situation was but it's getting there and the impression I got was that the elders want to avoid a repeat of this sort of situation again.

He's sitting it out so he doesn't have to retire. It all comes down to whether or not he can deliver a worthy performance when he finally does compete again, so he might as well delay it until he's in as tip top shape as is possible for him at this point.

Even if he does well in January, I don't think he makes it through 2021 without falling apart again. It's a bummer, but at least there's now an established collection of yusho contenders at that not-quite-Hakuho level to potentially take his place.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, that's a level of intensity I haven't seen in sumo since I started actively following it. A few Hakuho bouts have had an extra level of fire to them compared to the norm, but the fireworks were usually one-sided, and sparked by the other guy getting off to a false start or somesuch.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Today's bout is the kind of spirited effort I expect Hokotufuji to give as long as he's involved in a bout on the dohyou... but I don't think I've ever seen him compete for quite that long before, and I certainly didn't expect Takarafuji to be the other half of a bout as nail-biting and hard-fought as that one. I also didn't expect Ichinojou to wake up at any point during this basho, but maybe he's playing his old "7 losses? Better start getting my 8 wins" card again.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Skjorte posted:

didn't expect Ichinojou to wake up at any point during this basho, but maybe he's playing his old "7 losses? Better start getting my 8 wins" card again.

My favorite magic trick in sumo!

I haven't seen that many makuuchi play-offs since I started following sumo, but I was almost as excited for this headliner as I was nervous for Kisenosato/Terunofuji a few years back. Very fun basho all in all, though it was a shame that Shodai and Asanoyama went down the way they did. January could be really wild.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Man, good for him. His, err, record-setting approach to his sumo career made me pretty uncomfortable, so it's good to see he's keeping busy on the other side of it. He seems to be having a lot more fun working out in -18 degrees than I thought possible.

Huh. Guess the pandemic is going to forge Takakeisho into an unstoppable force.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Shobushi really wasn't very big for a sumo wrestler. You'd need almost three of him to make one max-weight Orora.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Not sure what he changed; the previous tweet was basically this: https://twitter.com/JohnGunningISJ/status/1332607670310772738?s=19

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Jesus how did Orora not die of a heart attack in the ring

The first time I heard about him, not too long before he retired, his purpose in sumo was explained as him aiming to become the heaviest rikishi in history. I don't know if he tried being a serious athlete for the first decade of his career before making Just Here for the Morbid Obesity his gimmick, but it was clear he had next to zero serious guidance during his waning years in the sport.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Brut posted:

Oh god please someone photoshop this in to existence.

I'm messing around with a homemade RPG, and my wrestling-crazed, inspired-by-the-world-of-sumo city is literally named this.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
When I started watching, it seemed like demoted ozeki were expected to retire, if not on the spot, then as soon as they started struggling against the rank-and-filers. But since I didn't see that happen at all, with Kotoshogiku, Takayasu, Terunofuji, and Tochinoshin all keeping on trucking, Goeido's sudden exit really surprised me. I think it was a smart move, though. Even his wins looked dicey there at the end. Although Teru's the youngest of the bunch, I honestly thought him hanging around after his fall was the most misguided of the ozeki-clinging-on storylines. Him going into 2021 a top contender is insane considering his struggles.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

I thought Teru was the most understandable. His was purely a health thing so as long as he got that in order, he had a decent shot of rebuilding a career for himself even if he couldn’t get back to Ozeki level. There really wasn’t any reason for him to retire until he got healthy enough and gave it a shot until he hit a wall. Like if he felt good and still couldn’t dominate Makushita dudes he probably would have hung it up, but why not try?

Looking at his record now, I didn't realize he's been tearing it up as far back as March 2019. I think I just assumed he was 4-3ing his way back from the unsalaried depths, based on him looking completely useless 6 bashos in a row and seeing all the reports of his knees being done, diabetes giving him trouble, and him failing to get back to get back to form. Tochinoshin's post-surgery comeback was so crazy to behold that I figured something similar wasn't going to happen again anytime soon. Thought the same about January's maegashira #17 win, and somehow Terunofuji managed to recreate both super unlikely storylines in one fell swoop.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Some stick around longer than others - gonna post my poor, sad, early-peaking boy Miyabiyama's record again as an example.

Whoa, more than a decade in the sport as a demoted ozeki. Although he definitely peaked early, his post-ozeki run seems like a career to be proud of in its own right.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
All the sanyaku and a couple of maegashira dudes had their grip strength tested. Didn't expect the guy who won to win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZtkpYTNIM

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Haha, yeah, he confirms that his strength is derived from horse meat. Guess Overeem got his diet from Japan.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O: Takakeisho/Asanoyama/Shodai
S/K: Terunofuji/Mitakeumi/Takayasu
M1-5: Onosho/Endo/Okinoumi
M6-10: Chiyonokuni/Shimanoumi/Myogiryu
M11+: Chiyoshoma/Akiseyama/Terutsuyoshi

8th of January edit: Hak out, so made Tak #1 Y/O pick.

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 8, 2021

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Here's some details surrounding it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yUhUcaYFY

Seems like Kakuryu's banking on being afforded one final chance in March, but who knows if they might force his retirement so as to not lose face after he ignored their warning. Though I'd prefer to see him go out fighting, I'm glad he's not entering while his body's not up for it. He's gotta be just two or three losses away from being done, even if he does get to extend his career till March.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Last basho was definitely a bit lean. Shodai's been dominating Takakeisho, so it would probably help Tak's case if he can finally get the W against a healthy Shodai (but he's not quite healed up yet, is he?).

If Takakeisho dominates this basho, but it also sees both kadoban ozeki get demoted, and the yoks continue to be inactive (or are forced to go intai), where does that leave him? Could he theoretically be left unable to get promoted to yokozuna for several bashos due to constantly being the top ranked guy with no -- on paper; obviously Takakeisho's style gives most high-level wrestlers a clear path to victory against him -- worthy competition?

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 8, 2021

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

Skjorte

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Onosho
M6-10: Shimanoumi
M11+: Chiyoshoma

Eek! Can I get a wrestler who's in the tournament instead? :P

Edit: I got my #2 pick after Chiyonokuni in Shimanoumi, so could I get my #2 pick after Chiyoshoma in Akiseyama? (Well, unless he's already injured or kyujo -- gonna catch up via Kintamayama's videos tonight.)

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 11, 2021

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Can I trade Takakeisho for Shodai? Or Asanoyama if Shodai's all booked up. Maybe it's too late for the trade to be valid today, but yeah, get me off of the deflating ship. :(

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Shodai's cool and has been (mostly) good forever. Everyone figured he or Mitakeumi would soon become ozeki when they first came in, but Mitakeumi passed him by and it was clear Shodai's incredibly bad tachiai was going to keep him from being a top dude. He did have some incredibly lame performances six months to a year before his resurgence, where it seemed like he'd lost the ability to deal with (inevitably) getting pushed back at the tachiai, but it's been great seeing him finally live up to the potential people saw in him half a decade ago.

Mitakeumi's still my favorite of the two, though, so I was happy he was able to get the win over him in this basho, despite being his usual incredibly inconsistent self.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Shodai has delivered some vintage ozeki-level sumo these past couple of days. Goeido-style ozeki sumo, that is.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

GoatSeeGuy posted:

He bumped into him 2 or 3 times, including right before heading out.

It's totally possible he was going to get pushed out either way, but Shodai literally stepped on the gyoji's foot and had no chance of staying in because of their unfortunate placement. Bummer that the final bout of the day ended that way. And that the juryo yusho was decided via a default win. And that Akiseyama was robbed of his rightful fighting spirit award by the judges. :( Sumo's still real neat, though.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Even though the camera didn't show it on the broadcast, Akua's unique way of standing back up (does any other rikishi have a signature get-up technique like that?) made the crowd gasp like it had on a couple of other days. I figured if he could stick the landing on that one, he probably didn't crash quite as badly as it initially appeared.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
After breaking his ridiculous streak of always showing up, and falling to the unsalaried ranks in the process, I really hope Ikioi hangs 'em up. He's been overworking himself for years for increasingly diminishing returns.

Re: the concussion incidents, looks like there'll be a new rule in place going forward -- don't make obviously concussed rikishi do another round of sumo right after they've been wiped out. Am I being hysterical in thinking that it was irresponsible of doctors to give the lower division wrestler the all-clear to get back on the dohyou just 48 hours after being knocked so loopy that it took him nearly a minute to get his legs under him again?
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1354409289113358337

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Here's another grip strength contest featuring a different set of rikishi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbJgvQoX6YY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, I feel bad for the guys whose division he's been relegated to. Unless he didn't take training seriously during his suspension, he should blow through the lower divisions since his demotion wasn't because his body fell apart or he wasn't able to hang n the top division.