Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

don't remember a sumo thread before but i welcome it as friends got me into it a year and a half ago once i found out how to watch it daily in 20 or less minutes. would recommend adding tachiai.org to the op as i've found it incredibly useful in learning more about both the tactics and poltics unique to the sport.

my main thought on the banzuke for this month is that terutsuyoshi got robbed. feel bad for abi as well as it's not his fault the ozeki have disintegrated but i'm not gonna blame the nsk for that one.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Can't remember if it's been mentioned in this new thread, but one of the reasons there are so many problems with fighting through injuries at the moment is the fact that in 2004 they removed the right to sit out one tournament without loss of rank in a supreme moment of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

it blew my mind to find out via wiki research that it was different not all that many years ago and it's not just a matter of an old tradition people are unwilling to change

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

wasn't sure how this worked at first but i'm in:

Y/O: Hakuho/Kakuryu/Takakeisho
S/K: Asanoyama/Daiesho/Takayasu
M1-5: Mitakeumi/Endo/Enho
M6-10:Ishiura/Ryuden/Aoiyama
M11+:Ikioi/Kotoshogiku/Terutsuyoshi

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

feeling v dumb for picking ikioi after his performance in juryo last basho, esp given that he started fading late.

i'm well aware of the reputation henkas have and why tho i'm personally usually a fan. does tamawashi have any heat for his arm bar that has caused so many injuries or is that just seen as tough and honest sumo?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i assumed terunofuji would be at like J2 next basho if he runs the table. Apparently there's a chance he could get promoted all the way up to makuuchi?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

so hakuho / enho happened and ENHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i found the three hour video thanks to someone else mentioning the person streaming it, can someone give the timestamp for this?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

Extremely wrong. 1.42

thanks!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

kintamayama came out of retirement to post a digest of the event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjjZCew20U

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

weird. i've only been following since mid 2018 but i wonder why they went after him when kintamayama had been doing it for years before and themn simultaneously until this last basho?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bentai posted:

Details from the NSK "closed doors" press conference
  • Broadcasting will be done from the second floor or individual rooms with TV monitors in them.

all i can think of is a a reoccurring dream i had for years until i finally went to japan last january. for those who aren't pro wresting fans korakuen hall is a famous pro wrestling venue located a block away from the tokyo dome. another contributing factor is that certain japanese venues including edion arena in osaka where the next basho will (hopefully) be held have a smaller sub arena in the same building/complex where smaller shows can be held.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

what's the record for yusho won by someone who never reached ozeki, or even the record before they did? realize there's a good chance mitakeumi will in the near future but it crossed my mind when it looked like he was in contention for his third.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Y/O: Hakuho/Asanoyama/Kakuryu
S/K: Shodai/Mitakeumi/Daiesho
M1-5:Hokotofuji/Onosho/Kagayaki
M6-10:Enho/Terutsuyoshi/Tamawashi
M11+: Terunofuji/Takayasu/Tochinoshin

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

obv very early but it's great to see how good asanoyama has looked so far and hope he can keep it up.

Brut posted:

Hopefully, but recent history shows that a 7-0 from his current rank doesn't guarantee a promotion to Juryo, and a 6-1 score definitely does not get the promotion.

huh. i knew 6--1 wouldn't do it but i thought 7-0 was an automatic promotion from what tachiai was saying when terunofuji was fighting his way back up the ranks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Maigius posted:

How has Hattorizakura been doing in this basho? I presume losing, but it can't hurt to be positive.

tachiai retweeted his last match
https://twitter.com/OneLoveLulit/status/1285723954200694786?s=20

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i just looked up the three guys who have lost to hattorizakura and unsurprisingly none of them have been sucessful either:

Sawanofuji handed hattorizakura his first win back in may 2016.
career record - 47-122-2
highest rank - jonidan 72
current rank - jonokuchi 7

Soga lost to him in july 2018
career record - 36-43
highest rank - jonidan 50
current rank - jonidan 94

Houn was the third and as of now last rikishi to lose to the WOAT in january of last year
career record - 27-79-1
highest rank - jonokuchi 3
current rank - jonokuchi 5 (to give an idea of how jonokuchi works, he advanced from jk16 last basho on the strength of a 3-4 mk)

the last time he won a match was the month i went to japan, his oyakata should buy me a plane ticket if intl travel is ever a possibility again

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

they really should do hakuho vs hattorizakura on a jungyo show and take advantage of the probable best and worst rikishi ever to live being active at the same time while they can

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Brut posted:

I'm not sure when they were saying it, but he went from Ms27e with a 6-1 to Ms10w, and then got a 7-0 from there to get promoted up, looks like from that rank, they were right. The top of Makushita is pretty competitive and with the limited number of slots available in the paid ranks, Ms19 is actually quite far from Ms10, in comparison, a 7-0 from Sd100 or from Sd99 makes you skip the entire Sandanme division and end up in the bottom of Makushita.

yeah i misunderstood. i erroneously thought that running the table at makushita got you promoted from outside the joi ranks no matter how low you were. from googling it seems like that's only true from MS15 and above.

https://tachiai.org/2019/11/29/makushita-joi-for-hatsu/

quote:

The more difficult one is to post a 7-0 record in the top 15 ranks of Makushita, as Terunofuji just did. The more conventional path is to have a winning record in the top 5 ranks (top 10 rikishi) in Makushita, which are referred to as the Makushita joi.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 22, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://tachiai.org/2020/07/25/abi-kyujo/

at first i thought he had covid but fortunately it's just for breaking quarantine procedures

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

still in the lead despite going with enho at m6 for my first pick in that tier even tho i knew that was kinda dumb

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

is there a way to look up a heya's roster on sumodb? the site seems to have everything else you'd possibly want other than that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

drat, none of them returned to makuuchi afterwards and only one stuck around in juryo for an extended period

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

have there been any recent reports on tomokaze's condition and how much longer he'll be out? terunofuji's return made me think of him

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1288660421944250368?s=20

daiesho gets the freebie and a kachikoshi. forgot until clicking the link that he also got the fusen win when kakuryu dropped out

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it's the smart move i'm sure and i hope he can properly recover. gently caress tho, this made me go over his sumodb record and the only time he's managed double digit wins in 6 basho as an ozeki was this january when he didn't face any yokuzuna or other ozeki

edit: also the day 13 torikumi is already up even tho day 12 hasn't occured yet for makuuchi and teronufuji vs. asanoyama is scheduled

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 30, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i generally always watch kintamayama's streams when he's doing the full ones and natto when he''s not. catching the full broadcast on twitch as i'm up and it's cool to see some of the pageantry i miss like the procession and hakuho's etrance.

Brut posted:

This is basically always the case except for the day 15 torikumi

i never knew when exactly they updated it for the reason above though i know day 15 is usually delayed

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i just noticed while watching the pre show analysis that Terunofuji's shikona is written with the katakana ノ for no. Same goes for Tochinoshin and Kotonowaka upon further resarch. wonder why? would've thought the hiragana の would've been more likely. also i'm very thankful for the furigana so i can actually read the shikona on screen

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 30, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just hit me that i've followed sumo since the july 2018 basho and i've seen more m17s win yusho than ozeki.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

was hoping to watch a wrestling that started in wakayama 36 minutes ago, but the stream won't work for me. guess i can at least watch the senshuraku live instead

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

when i started the stream shohozan vs ichinojo had just started. i was really confused why that was before the juryo plaoffs but apparently ichinojo could've made that playoff if he would've won so it makes sense.

how would a 7 way playoff had worked anyway?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

has anyone ever made it back up to ozeki the hard way after failing to get 10 wins in that first basho as a sekiwake? it's obviously still early and health is always going to be a concern but has to be considered a valid possibility.

very fun basho and the guys i picked doing well with the exception of enhou was a bonus.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chinook posted:

Is there any way to watch all of this tournament, in relative order? I read the OP, I saw Thauros post somewhere about sumo and from the posts on this page maybe this would be a good time to check it out.

if you want to watch all the pre match set up stuff and assorted pageantry the twitch channel i was using to watch live has replays available

https://twitch.tv/mbovosumo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm able to watch abema now, i assume they just air lower divisions?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chinook posted:

I’m watching some of these and HOO BOY that’s a lot of really long names that I’m going to have trouble keeping straight. And their dress and hairstyles being similar doesn’t help things much.

Interestingly even the non Japanese folks adopt Japanese names.

Anyway I guess exposure is the only way to get over this hump.

most of the japanese guys also adopt ring names known as shikona that wouldn't be used by normal people. while the latter is also used in many japanese family names the reason you see a lot of zans and yamas for example is that both mean "mountain" and are written with the kanji 山. certain heya/stables have specific traditions like all of the Koto* guys who are teammates. there are exceptions like enho, endo, and ishiura who all just use their birth name.

and yeah, when i first started following it a couple years ago they almost all just seemed like interchangeable large men (esp as enhou wasn't in makuuchi yet) at first. give it a shot tho and you'll quickly hone in on a couple guys who stick out for various reasons. english commentary does help for understanding style and tactics a bit.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 3, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought you couldn't lose Yokuzuna? But I guess still you mean they would be forced to retire?

yeah, if a yokuzuna clearly can't perform up to the standards of the rank 'll be basically forced to retire. this happened to kisenosato last year. same goes if a sufficiently serious scandal occurs like with Harumafuji, Asashōryū,and back in the '80s Futahaguro(if you're a pro wresting fan you may know him better as koji kitao!). i've heard 10 wins referred to as an informal "yokozuna kachikoshi" as the basic line they're expected to stay at.

there's a board called the yokuzuna deliberation council which is a different group of old guys than the nsk elders. they decide the fates of yokuzuna in these siutations in addition to promotions to the rank. instead of ex rikishi its comprised of various prominent writers, lawyers, businessmen, etc....

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 4, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

are there any punishments in sumo in between "stern warning" and "your career's over"? as a fairly new fan i'm legit unsure. he hosed up and a punishment's warranted but it sucks that it has to be this extreme instead of being suspended for a couple basho or something.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

was trying to remember where i knew that name and didn't realize that's the hattorizakura stable until i looked them up.

quote:

All members of Shikihide stable have to complete their high school education, and Shikihide has also introduced yoga to his wrestlers after they have finished training for the day.[3] The stable is known for its "open door" policy, allowing anyone who can meet the entry requirements to join regardless of ability. It has several relatively small wrestlers such as Omote weighing only 67 kg (148 lb) and Baraki just 167 cm (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in) tall, and 14 of its 18 wrestlers have yet to make it past the bottom two divisions of jonokuchi and jonidan

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ok, my thought before this was “drat can’t they just suspend him for a basho or two?” feel less sympathy now

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 5, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i didn’t know the rest of the banzuke besides the juryo/makushita exchanges were decided that far in advance of the public unveiling. guess it makes sense if they want the physical official banzuke in the elaborate calligraphy

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm someone who sometimes prefers japanese commentary for pro wrestling but the english commentary for sumo is generally really useful esp for newcomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oh wow, i assumed there was no way he wouldn't be done. seems pretty fair.

on the subject of young, lower ranking rikishi running away, i was just reading about "banzuke-gai" a few days ago. if you look at the full banzuke on sumo db there's a list of guys classified as such under jonokuchi. these are guys who have completely dropped off the banzuke due to going 0-0-7 from jonokuchi, like if hattorizakura went kyujo for the next basho. that i already knew, but i didn't realize sthat the reason why some guys have been on it for years isn't due to serious injury. these are guys who generally ran away and the oyakata doesn't want to hand in their papers in case they decide to return.