Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

someone post a clip of that double non henka from the last basho where Enho and his opponent just stood straight up from the tachi-ai and the ref yelled at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Apraxin posted:

On lighter-but-also-not-lighter note, here is probably the greatest example of the earlier posts both about how awful Hattorizakura is and how the lowest levels will allow anyone who wants to to take part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRvD7940p3w

Hattorizakura facing Bariki, a guy just returned from sitting out nearly three years worth of tournaments due to a crippling back injury and who visibly still can't bend down or walk properly and who destroys him anyway.

how was that not a henka? his hands were nowhere near the ground

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Brut posted:

A henka is when you jump out of the way at the start instead of going forward.

The fists coming down at the same time are just a symbol of mutual consent, as long as the Gyoji feels like both of them went at the same time, they can let the match continue at their discretion. In this case this man appears to basically be almost unable to actually touch his fists to the ground, but still able to fight well enough that he went 3-4 in that Basho and 4-3 in the next, so they let it slide.

Edit: If you go frame by frame you can actually see his right fist pretty much touch the ground, I believe his left one was still a bit higher up but it's hard to see since this is the behind-the-Gyoji view.

Here are 3 consecutive frames:

See that weird flesh colored blur under the Gyoji's knee in the middle frame? Yeah that's the right fist. It's often that case that when they show a slow motion replay of a fight (which they almost never do for these low divisions) it becomes way clearer that fists touched down when it looks like they didn't.

ooops i meant matta, but thanks for the analysis

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

Since I fill out the spreadsheet manually I occasionally make mistakes, like with Kakuryu. However, I reference with Sumo DB as I score up, so I generally catch it before the end of the tournament, and basically double-check everything when scoring on the final Sunday. As far as I know I've never had a mistake on the final scores.

show us the spreadsheet!!!!!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

I think you can assume the agreement for the tags is universal and just open the floor for anyone to voice dissent for 24 hours then seal the deal.

do i have to play in the fantasy league to get them? because i want the tag pls

e: as long as i can keep my other tag too

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

lol i love the clap in front of the guy's face to make them flinch

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

so Enho is a fuckin wizard or something right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bentai posted:

Yup. And I think another award was for 10kg of meat and veggies from a prefecture in northern Japan.

that's enough for what, 1 chanko nabe?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Fighting is for EVERYONE! I'm on my phone but just pretend I posted the Talhoffer pic of a woman with a brick in a sock fighting the dude in the hole with a club.

y'all should google this, it delivers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Depends on what my schedule is like this weekend, specifically Sunday as that's when UFC is on and then I have personal stuff to sort out like kissing movies and watching my girlfriend. Also can i get a handly link to see who is competing in the basho/matchups to make my fantasy picks? I skipped the last one so people's names are unknown to me again.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Default.aspx

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Literally just pick wrestlers at random and join fantasy. You don't need to know a single thing :)

i would but there's like a billion convoluted rules

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna do the draft on Saturday before the basho, so let's try and get all entries in by Friday the 11th.

assign me a team at random please

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

Draft finally in! 32 people playing Fantasy, this is the biggest field we've had so far. Very cool, but drat the draft took a long time.

YOU PROMISED

Lone Goat posted:

assign me a team at random please

Kenning posted:

Hahahah okay!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

Okay everybody, it's 1 week until the basho starts, so it's time to get your Fantasy picks in!

Assign me a team at random again please, but do it BEFORE everyone's actual picks go in so I don't just get the scraps left over

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

does the sumo start tonight (north america night) or tomorrow night? i don't know how time zones work

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

if shodai is dead assign me a new guy at random please

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

You can put in your picks as late as sometime on Saturday. I'll make a post before I close for the draft. I don't recommend picking anyone from Arashio- or Miyagino-beya, and maybe be cautious of anyone in Minato-beya!

Assign me a random team following the above recommendations (I don't know what these words mean I assume they're the houses/stables/whatever of the the sicky boys)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Great work as always on the Fantasy, Kenning. Is there anything that would prevent you from just moving to Google Sheets to do the tally? It’s a little more available in extreme cases :)

As someone who ran the UFC Goon Weight Grand Prix Fantasy league for years I gotta say, the ruleset for this is way overengineered lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

The ruleset (for scoring at least) is the easy part, that's just tallying up scores. Trading is a little complex, but it's also fairly rare so it doesn't matter that much. The hard part is making sure all of the scoring inputs are properly allocated to all the players, since this time around with 31 players there were around 2500 total (31 players, 5 rikishi each, 15 days + KK/MK and a couple of things for yusho and sanssho). Even if we eliminated the special scoring things like MK/KK, kinboshi, and sanssho it would still have been 2325 inputs to just do wins and losses. With my current spreadsheet I only need to manually input around 650 results (daily results + MK/KK etc.), and it's easier that it's only 40 per day or so. The dream would be to have my buddy make good on his vague promise to built me a tool that scraped the NSK website for daily results and then build a spreadsheet that did all the win/loss and yusho calculations automatically, so all I needed to manually input would be sanssho and kinboshi.

In any case, the actual issue was just that I didn't backup my poo poo to The Cloud because I'm an old now apparently and I didn't think of it.

The trading aspect is most of what makes it such an unmanagable mess! You shouldn't need to make thousands of entries for an event that only has ~20 matches a day. A properly setup spreadsheet (for a properly setup ruleset) should only require you to enter the winners for each day and auto-populate the rest.

In the UFC fantasy league all the player had to do was pick Winner, Finish (KO/Sub/Decision), and Round (if necessary) of each fight for each event. Scores were assigned based on how accurate you were. Tiebreakers were Performance Of the Night bonuses. Everyone just made their picks in a google form, the spreadsheet generated from a template, then I just had to take the results and plug them in and it would spit out everyone's scores. Took me maybe 5 minutes per event, it was so easy that I just made a tutorial video on how to do it for the people that took over for me.

The reason I say it's overengineered is because you have a bunch of rules that probably don't matter. Before you cram a dozen different exceptions into your ruleset, you should ask yourself what the purposes of each one is.

Has a player that's made a trade ever won a season? Has anyone made enough trades that the trade penalties caused them to not win a season? If trading is rare enough to not matter, why even have trading at all?

Have the bonus points (MK/KK/etc) made a difference (aside from breaking ties) in who wins a season? Why does the player that pick the yusho winner need another 5 points on top of the ~13 that they already got?

Does the existence of drafting and the wire actually make the game more interesting or exciting for the players? Why can't players just pick who they want?

If it were me running this I'd shave off all that garbage, simplify the league to WHOMST WILL WIN THE MOST BOUTS (of your 5 subdivisions), make a non-trash spreadsheet that can actually handle a basic ruleset, and then let it run to find out who is the yokogoonest of them all.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Brut posted:

Jason (from Jason's All-Sumo channel) literally runs this exact contest and usually it works out okay but this January I was one of 18 people tied for first place. :shrug:

So then make all of the goofy meaningless poo poo into a bunch of tiebreaks.

Smaller fields are going to lead to a narrower range of scores so it's not surprising that the basho with a billion people out for covid has a tonne of people bunched up at the top. Were there that many ties for the first in the other months or is this one an outlier?

anakha posted:

Think of the rules as the fantasy equivalent of the grumpy old men and it feels more appropriate.

Do the grumpy old men do literally anything to make the sport better? I've only been paying attention to sumo for a year or two and it seems like they care more about tradition than the health and safety of the competitors, or the entertainment of the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah to be clear when I mentioned tradition I wasn't complaining about salt throwing wearing the sagari, but this stuff:

Pakled posted:

A lot of that sort of traditional stuff was a hook for me too, but at the same time, there's certain aspects of sumo that it just feels insane that they don't change for the sake of safety. Like the dohyo being raised two feet off the ground, or the near-complete lack of modern sports medicine used in treating injuries, or the shockingly bad concussion protocols.

I guess one could say that a sport where competitors are encouraged to balloon up to 400 lbs can never really be safe or healthy but the other stuff I mentioned, it feels like you could change that and still keep the spirit and substance of sumo alive.

Or the guy that was forced two retire because he didn't want to risk catching covid. From the outside it seems like you have to commit your life sumo and any misstep means you're blackballed forever, and it's not like sumo skills really translate to any other career?